Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the best-case scenario at this point

Pfizer's retooled vaccine is widely available by mid-year and protects against Omicron infection
Suck and gently caress Summer
Moderna rolls out an even better vaccine in the fall
Nasal vaccines in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
World Class University, right here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wsu/comments/s79ma0/terrible_quarantine_conditions_provided_by_wsu/

percyjackofff69 posted:

While I normally do not complain about things related to WSU, I have no choice but to post this. I have tested positive for COVID-19 and as a result I have been moved to a quarantine dorm. ...There are nut stains or god knows what type of stain on the mattress, and the bathroom is even worse. When I walked into the bathroom there was poo poo still in the toilet! (Not pictured). Literally someone’s log cabin was left over in the private bathroom accompanying my quarantine room....

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

the post office is going to be applying the shipping labels to every free test kit too, in violation of all sorts of laws and contracts

Why is that against the law

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

I think the best-case scenario at this point

Pfizer's retooled vaccine is widely available by mid-year and protects against Omicron infection
Suck and gently caress Summer
Moderna rolls out an even better vaccine in the fall
Nasal vaccines in 2023

Until there's some kind of vaccine mandate forcing rates > 90% we're pretty hosed, there are going to be enough Americans training up new variants to keep the new vaccines lagging behind and that's just from an American POV.

You know, like already happened with Omicron.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

yep. thats the basic structure of it. covid isn't fearsome enough to provoke behavior change in a vaxxed population

covid isn't fearsome enough yet

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

fermun posted:

i'm glad i left the postal service. i left back in july for a wfh gig (which paid 1.5x as much and was far less work, but i got laid off from it the 28th of december). i was a mail handler and talking to friends that are still there, they're being worked to the bone right now, because so many are out, the ones that are there are getting more overtime than the christmas season. everyone not sick is working 12 hour days 6 days a week and there's tons of first class mail just stacking up.

I assume you area is in the same situation and you're gonna get inundated with mail as the mail handlers get healthy and start to catch up.

Yeah, I'm the one working them to the bone. But I also got my first day off in three weeks on Monday and I only make straight time when I go over 8. Instead of x1.5 or that sweet V-time.

It's alright, I'm management and we deserve to suffer.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WampaLord posted:

covid isn't fearsome enough yet

look buddy I would love it if it was fearsome right now so I could get online classes, free poo poo, etc. I would work in the wuhan lab for free

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Over.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1483574392831582215

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1411450176523280385

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

look buddy I would love it if it was fearsome right now so I could get online classes, free poo poo, etc. I would work in the wuhan lab for free

lmao

none of that is ever coming back

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

cr0y posted:

Deer are giant rodents change my mind

false. one is a reservoir for the lyme spirochete, and the other is not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

3300+ is part of the backlog, right? Or are we back to daily 9/11s?

Apr 7, 2003

*extremely may 2021 voice* the vaccines are out and covid is over. thinking it may get worse is just a deranged fantasy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

these idiots are going to send us ear loop n95s or they won't be free or something insane

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

caught covid -> recovered(?) -> 2 weeks later, intubated

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1483579465817014272

Some big "Snake? Snake?!! SNAAAAAAAKE!!!"-energy.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

well i was completely wrong but i was using what the cdc said was the best data at the time so i was actually right

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

also, lol'ing at the deer complaints when it's a result of a depauperate ecosystem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rauros posted:

mask and gloves should be ok. i necropsied an entire deer while wearing gloves, goggles, and a mask that ended up having rabies weeks after the fact, whoops!

Mask

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

why would we need n95 masks when covid isnt an airborne virus

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am harry posted:

these idiots are going to send us ear loop n95s or they won't be free or something insane

If the Walgreens/CVS workers weren't already at their breaking point, "you're now in charge of distributing and accounting for millions of free masks" will absolutely lead to walkouts

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Wistfully imagining what the world would look like if the vaccines were sterlizing and/or reinfection was impossible
I bet a chunk of the population believes those things, which must be great for their mental health (until infection #3 comes along and has consequences)

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Weekly covid updates from my hospital include

-Hospital is licensed for around 365 patients, over the last couple of weeks we have been averaging 460 and were at 498 patients on one day
-Added 70 beds by lining hallways, claiming conference rooms, and basically playing Gurney Tetris
-These areas do not have any core staff but do have travelers!
-Predictions are that our numbers will double by the first week of February
- We will expand patient rooms on [floors] to double occupancy

Oh and

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

WampaLord posted:

lmao

none of that is ever coming back

i know lol. with classes you have to pray to god hospitals get packed exactly as it become non-viable to come back since teachers can get the final say. Im so loving jealous of my friend doing his whole poo poo online. god drat

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Lovelyn posted:

-Hospital is licensed for around 365 patients, over the last couple of weeks we have been averaging 460 and were at 498 patients on one day
-Added 70 beds by lining hallways, claiming conference rooms, and basically playing Gurney Tetris

Oh and

I love that sexy flattened curve

(Flattened on the y-axis)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Reminder :godwin: hitler :godwin: fed deer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

Why is that against the law

the federal government is using postal workers to apply labels on private products which violates the laws stating what the postal service is

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Northeast' love of deer is fantastic breeding ground for a spillover and spill back scenario.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

SchrodingersCat posted:

I love that sexy flattened curve

(Flattened on the y-axis)

The hospital sends out projects and

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:goofy:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"Endemic" is just a word that means "we ignore it and stop collecting data on it" at this point.

Endemic is just another word for nothing left to lose

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

FRIENDS.

I Bring you HHS Data. the Holiday lol reporting edition

600 hospitals didnt report.

Total Beds: 708k (Down from 775 monday)
Bed used: 550k (down from 599 monday)
-47 states went down, and the three that rose were only about 373 people.
COVID Beds "154,335 (down from 157k )
ICU Beds 79k (Down from 81 )
ICU Occupancy: 64k (down 2k)
COVID ICU 26,550 (+1k)
-This is all because Washington State shows a 825 person increase overnight.
Admissions: 23,581 (down from 26k)

These numbers are a loving mess. No maps today
lol covid is over baby

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lovelyn posted:

Oh and

:cawg:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
COVID cannot evolve into a form small enough to physically pass between an N95 mask or a HEPA filter.

Even if mindfulness and own our treacherous sense of sentimentality and attachment may cause us to gently caress up the practice of PPE in the long run, there is no calculus that makes it wrong to even try, for as long as possible, and for as hard as possible, to avoid getting COVID.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

covid has been over for so long i forgot what covid being not over is even like

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
lmao took my fiancée's grandmother to walgreens to get a booster today and literally not a single mask on customers

lol if I got this poo poo somehow from that

Apr 7, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

Oh and

dang. sounds like a deranged fantasy.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

funny story. a pathology resident told me that someone died at her university by getting rabies fluid splashed in their eye, because it's a direct short route through optic nerve to the brain, and the vaccine won't work fast enough. i couldn't confirm this searching the literature though when i was freaked out.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Crazyweasel posted:

On my calendar is a 30-minute 10 AM meeting, currently in person only, but in a conference room that was recently upgraded with a video camera and microphones to facilitate hybrid meetings.

In attendance will be two people who are ~7 days post COVID symptoms, two who had it after New Years and two of unknown status.

Last week my boss, who likely had COVID and quarantined but never tested, unabashedly said she is hearing a lot about “COVID positive people who are also told it’s the flu, so I don’t trust the cases”

As I sit in my home office shitposting, I look through my Rolodex of excuses, hmmm how about “I had an exposure, I saw my SIL over the weekend and she tested positive yesterday”

And I’m not even in chudland
chudland libland it's all the same
my work place has 3 covid positives walking about the office BECAUSE ITS BEEN FIVE DAYS GUYS (thankyou blessed CDC)
lmao thank you secure click for allowing me another day in this hellworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jisforjosh posted:

lmao took my fiancée's grandmother to walgreens to get a booster today and literally not a single mask on customers

lol if I got this poo poo somehow from that

Good news - you can soon wait in line with 1000 other people at that very same Walgreens to get a free mask

super spreader events on every corner of America

no we can't deliver the masks via USPS, why do you ask