Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

Morpheus' tie is aggressively green in the Construct, at least on film

Side note, somebody write an essay about why in Resurrections Trinity has the powers Neo was supposed to have at the end of Matrix 1, while Neo has Dark City powers

Neo was never actually The One on his own merits. He might have had the powers but it's a critical point of the story that Trinity is the one responsible for bringing him back to life. The One was not actually something that truly exist but instead Trinity and Neo were both necessary for the godhead to exist because loving hell the Matrix is not a subtle movie. Resurrection just takes that to the next step and makes the subtext into literal text. Neo is not The One without Trinity and Trinity is exactly as much of The One as Neo.

A major theme in Resurrection is that Trinity is basically ignored by everyone despite being essential to the story. People glorify and worship Neo and to a lesser extent Morpheus but Trinity, who is just as important, gets treated as only an extension of Neo. (There's also some self-directed criticism here because at least some of that is the film's own fault.) Resurrections very loudly screams in your face "hey guys remember how Trinity was so important she brought Neo back to dead with the power of a kiss, well here it is being bluntly shoved into your face because Matrix Resurrections is not a subtle movie."

And this naturally extends to "People focus on the men in The Matrix to a tremendous degree but downplay the women" which is why Niobe is the only surviving cast member and the respected leader, Trinity's rescue is more important than Neo's, etc, etc. It's again not very subtle. It's basically a movie-length "hey motherfucker the movie had characters besides Neo and Morpheus."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Shiroc posted:

SMG, you have not taken a single polite piece of feedback that you shouldn't keep trying to discuss what the trans experience should mean relative to the Matrix movies from multiple people in this thread.

I brought up the Denny's Placemat stuff because you are intimately familiar with online harassment given how you treated Jivjov, you just dress it up in more words.

I found the original bit that I had referenced, and the bit that had gotten this in my head

Which I'll accept the overall series of posts isn't as negative overall as I remembered, gets back to the point that you don't seem to understand trans experience at all.

Trans woman here to say SMG is fine and that The Matrix being some part of a universal trans experience is a nonsense claim, akin to disregarding criticism of The Force Awakens because it is central to the presexual teen child of alcoholics experience or whatever. It’s obvious when one of us is fronting to avoid discussion about a Dumb Media Thing We Like and I find it extremely distasteful. It is not hard to engage with SMG; as he has stated before, nothing he has written is incomprehensible and he doesn’t talk down to anyone.

I enjoyed Matrix Resurrections but I have no desire to do so blindly; it is very much another battlefield in pointless Kulturkampf at this point.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

ImpAtom posted:

Neo was never actually The One on his own merits. He might have had the powers but it's a critical point of the story that Trinity is the one responsible for bringing him back to life. The One was not actually something that truly exist but instead Trinity and Neo were both necessary for the godhead to exist because loving hell the Matrix is not a subtle movie. Resurrection just takes that to the next step and makes the subtext into literal text. Neo is not The One without Trinity and Trinity is exactly as much of The One as Neo.

A major theme in Resurrection is that Trinity is basically ignored by everyone despite being essential to the story. People glorify and worship Neo and to a lesser extent Morpheus but Trinity, who is just as important, gets treated as only an extension of Neo. (There's also some self-directed criticism here because at least some of that is the film's own fault.) Resurrections very loudly screams in your face "hey guys remember how Trinity was so important she brought Neo back to dead with the power of a kiss, well here it is being bluntly shoved into your face because Matrix Resurrections is not a subtle movie."

And this naturally extends to "People focus on the men in The Matrix to a tremendous degree but downplay the women" which is why Niobe is the only surviving cast member and the respected leader, Trinity's rescue is more important than Neo's, etc, etc. It's again not very subtle. It's basically a movie-length "hey motherfucker the movie had characters besides Neo and Morpheus."

Good points. There's a statue of Morpheus, and a whole team sent to get Neo. But Neo has to argue with his allies to get Trinity out. The greatest tribute Trinity gets is the game version of her doing the kick in the beginning.

The misogyny of the analyst is the negative extreme of this male character focus. He's ready to kill her at multiple points but just wants neo back.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
At least on mobile that post has a really pretty get get gets

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

checkplease posted:

Good points. There's a statue of Morpheus, and a whole team sent to get Neo. But Neo has to argue with his allies to get Trinity out. The greatest tribute Trinity gets is the game version of her doing the kick in the beginning.

The misogyny of the analyst is the negative extreme of this male character focus. He's ready to kill her at multiple points but just wants neo back.

Interesting that Neo uses a pseudo-Trinity in his modal at the beginning rather than just use the real thing. Assuming he’s got the code for it lying around since he programmed the whole trilogy prior to the modal?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

The Woman in Red is explicitly not a character, even within the text she's a construct of Mouse and narratively it helps viewers understand what the Matrix is and how programs work. And the Oracle wearing green is just whatever, maybe it means that she's tied to the Matrix? Perhaps that she's it's mother and it's father

isn't green, he's white. There's no coherent colour imagery there, certainly nothing remotely comparable to the new crews coding.

checkplease posted:

If you want screenshots can just ask (or google). I assume you’ll concede the green for matrix at least. But here’s a few example of blue and gold.

Gold was only used for the machines after Neo was blinded and was never used for anything else. A blue tint to cinematically indicate cold/privation is not the same as characters having a unique, specific blue tint be actively put over their eye pieces in post-production.

Edit; I'm not even wedded to any 'new crew is blue pilled' theory but it clearly is a thing that the matrix 4 has done

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 15, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Vitamin P posted:

The Woman in Red is explicitly not a character, even within the text she's a construct of Mouse and narratively it helps viewers understand what the Matrix is and how programs work. And the Oracle wearing green is just whatever, maybe it means that she's tied to the Matrix? Perhaps that she's it's mother and it's father

isn't green, he's white. There's no coherent colour imagery there, certainly nothing remotely comparable to the new crews coding.

Gold was only used for the machines after Neo was blinded and was never used for anything else. A blue tint to cinematically indicate cold/privation is not the same as characters having a unique, specific blue tint be actively put over their eye pieces in post-production.

Edit; I'm not even wedded to any 'new crew is blue pilled' theory but it clearly is a thing that the matrix 4 has done

First, let’s clarify about the colors in the first films as shown in those screenshots. Gold is used to show seraph is a program in matrix reloaded. This was long before neo is blinded. And there is explicit blue in the Trinty and neo pic and council man and all of zion and their ships. This is not just from cold. When Neo and Trinity travel to machine city (dressed in blue) they are not cold and seeking out warmth.

There's a blue tint only outside of the matrix. And a green tint only inside of the matrix. And gold only used with programs/machines.

Oh and the architect is in an area outside of the matrix, like the backdoors and train station (also white).

Second, I dont even know what you are arguing against at this point. You were wondering why they were blue. Several of us gave potential reasons. I then I pointed out the color scheme of the first three films with examples. But now you dont think there were some chosen colors for the first 3 films? Or do you accept those films have a color scheme, but don’t think its true for resurrections?

So what's your theory?

checkplease fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 16, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

PopZeus posted:

Interesting that Neo uses a pseudo-Trinity in his modal at the beginning rather than just use the real thing. Assuming he’s got the code for it lying around since he programmed the whole trilogy prior to the modal?

The obvious answer is that all the original actors for that scene are too old now, so gotta use new ones. But i guess the in film answer could be that as its his modal, hes just got variables changed up for everyone. Maybe this is the dlc alt skins.

This Trinity in the modal does get caught, so there's quite a few changes in this modal.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 16, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

At this point I'm just going to take your implications that the machines don't A) drain energy from humans or B) serve as means of production as jokes.

The machines cannot be the means of production, because they are people. Do you mean they are slaves? Or are you shifting to saying that they are non-persons? This is why I've been stressing that you need to be able to describe the alien economy without recourse to analogy.

In the backstory of Matrix, the machines are solar-powered. We can hopefully agree that they had no need for 'human energy' at that point, at least. So: if the solar-powered machines start harvesting air and pooping out mountains and mountains of diamonds, do the diamonds have value? Under the interpretation that the machines are simply objects that have run amok, the answer is that the diamonds only have use-value, no different than if they had been found laying on the ground. (And even this is only true insofar as the diamonds are an object of 'human want'.) No matter how much solar power (and air, metal, computational power, whatever) has gone into the creation of the diamonds, there's no labor involved.

This scenario is not only in the backstory: Matrix 2 has the scene where the old dude walks up to an artificial wetland and says "IDK what the gently caress this is or where it came from, but it purifies the water for all of Zion". As in the above example, the purified water is effectively just a natural resource, regardless of whatever mechanical process is going on inside the device. The purified water has use-value to the humans, but nothing more. (It's revealed at the end of the film, of course, that the entire Zion life-support system was installed by the machines - which is the starting-point for my interpretation.)

But let's switch it up and say that the machines are all people after all. This changes everything. Suddenly Zion's artificial wetland has a person inside of it - or is, itself, a person. It was sent to the basement of Zion at the behest of other synthients. It cleans its own filters, working in tandem with the geothermal-power-generator guy next door. Inside the machine city, we have a vastly more complex socioeconomic arrangement, where we are no longer limited to talking about 'human wants'. So what is going on in the city?

You stress that the machines are "draining energy", but that is still impossibly vague. Lots of things "drain energy", but valorization only occurs under capitalism. What if the 'energy' extracted by the machines is a tithe for the use of the farming-towers. which draw up nutrients from the lake of biomatter? This is not a trivial question!

As Marx writes, an understanding of bourgeois economics "supplies the key to the ancient, etc. But not at all in the manner of those economists who smudge over all historical differences and see bourgeois relations in all forms of society. One can understand tribute, tithe, etc., if one is acquainted with ground rent. But one must not identify them."

This is why things aren't progressing in this particular conversation. There's no way to respond to assertions that Niobe is a Leninist except with a "what? Huh?"

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 16, 2022

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
are you still trying to prove that she sells the strawberries

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The machines cannot be the means of production, because they are people. Do you mean they are slaves? Or are you shifting to saying that they are non-persons? This is why I've been stressing that you need to be able to describe the alien economy without recourse to analogy.

This is like stridently insisting that a factory isn't a werewolf. I think I've outlined pretty clearly the ways that the relationship between the machines and humans of the matrix parallels the relationship between capital and humankind, which entails but is not limited to the fact that the former drains the life-force from the latter. You don't seem to be up to actually acknowledging or responding to these details, even when I played ball and applied them directly to your hypothetical strawberry mogul scenario!

Like okay, you're telling me right here that we simply can't analogize the machines to capital because machines are people and capital is not a person.

Here is a Marx quote: "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality."

Marx, you moron! Capital isn't independent and doesn't have individuality! It's just some stuff in a warehouse! But what if someone were to make a piece of art in which something's metaphorical qualities were to be made more literal? Suppose, say, that an apocalyptic future threatening our present were to literally threaten our present by sending skeletal assassin droids through time at us? Delightfully devilish, Sk- ...nah, that'd be crazy, perish the notion.

quote:

This is why things aren't progressing in this particular conversation. There's no way to respond to assertions that Niobe is a Leninist except with a "what? Huh?"

But I didn't actually say that. I said that really-existing communist movements have much more closely resembled the society Niobe comes from than the frictionless copy-pasting of Agent Smith. What if you were to try being truthful or accurate?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 16, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i don't think the script is very tight because neo's boss is like "rawr she's a total milf" when we first see Tiffany but like later on it tries to say that Tiffany looks like an actual old woman and not carrie anne moss

so like that just doesn't work on its face. it's a cinema sin1!!!!!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

precision posted:

i don't think the script is very tight because neo's boss is like "rawr she's a total milf" when we first see Tiffany but like later on it tries to say that Tiffany looks like an actual old woman and not carrie anne moss

it's not his boss but that's a pretty good point

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Counterpoint: actual old women can still be total milfs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

Counterpoint: actual old women can still be total milfs

settle down Roman

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

precision posted:

I know the story doesn't support the idea at all but I was feeling like maybe Neo was able to see her true DSI.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Dick Sucking Intent? She truly is the one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuts and Gum posted:

Dick Sucking Intent? She truly is the one.

lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The guy both treating Trinity only in terms of how fuckable he thinks she is but then trying to diminish her when he thinks Neo is getting too attached is pretty realistic and ties into how the movie presents misogyny as a means of control. Misogyny being so pervasive and stupid means that every woman needs to learn a lot of coping skills/patterns to deal with it since society refuses to let you react to anything but the most egregious instances (if even then, of course). Eventually it ends up taking up so much energy, which the Matrix takes for itself within the story, and keeps you from fighting because you're so busy managing each little thing that on its own isn't worth it but adds up to making everything poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"A character can both say a woman is attractive AND dismiss her because she is 'unattractive'? How can this be? Certainly nobody in, heh, reality would act that way."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

This is like stridently insisting that a factory isn't a werewolf.

This is where, before anything, we should go into a closer reading of Marx. Marx is not, like, saying that “the world is a vampire”. He’s not Billy Corgan. Here’s the context of the famous ‘vampire’ quote:

“What is a working-day? At all events, less than a natural day. By how much? The capitalist has his own views of this [outer limit], the necessary limit of the working-day. As capitalist, he is only capital personified. His soul is the soul of capital. But capital has one single life impulse, the tendency to create value and surplus-value, to make its constant factor, the means of production, absorb the greatest possible amount of surplus-labour. Capital is dead labour, that, vampire-like, only lives by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks. The time during which the labourer works, is the time during which the capitalist consumes the labour-power he has purchased of him. If the labourer consumes his disposable time for himself, he robs the capitalist.”

The vampire is specifically a vampiric ‘impulse’ in the soul of the capitalist which, in this case, pushes him to extend the proletarian work-day as long as possible. The vampire can be fought by reducing the hours in the work-day, and/or taking control of the means of production so that the sale of labour to the capitalist is no longer necessary. There’s nothing at all vague or mystical here.

(Marx is also fairly clear that the capitalist cannot directly ‘be’ capital. Capitalists, insofar as they are human, obviously have more than one impulse. The ‘vampiric impulse’ is both intimate and external to the capitalist himself - in the capital).

So we can express things in very clear terms: if we assume that the humans in the pods are working 24 hours a day, Tom Anderson does not work 24 hours a day at Metacortex. Even accounting for overtime, he’s still going to clubs and surfing the Web, or whatever. There’s an obvious gulf.

While the vampiric impulse might ‘want’ unlimited, ceaseless work, this can only happen in a mind-control fantasy scenario without sleep. If a matrix pod actually existed, and you put someone inside, they would very quickly starve and die. Put all of humanity inside, and the species is extinct within, like, a year? At most? But Tom believes and fears that this can somehow continue indefinitely.

This is where you’ll repeat that you’re only making an analogy. It’s just a metaphor, and so we don’t need to be very precise. Like with Terminator, right?

In Terminator, the logic of the future is immanent in the present. In Matrix, by contrast, there isn’t any immanence; there is only a blunt simultaneity. This is a very important distinction! Kyle Reese is a prophet with memories of the future, while Sarah Connor in T2 ‘merely’ has vivid nightmares of being burned alive. Her heart is in the right place, insofar as she is against the abstract concept of nuclear holocaust, but she is wrong about what’s going on. This leads to obvious mistakes, where she tries to kill Bob and so-on. That’s a good analogy for Matrix.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 17, 2022

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

just watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation. - A weirdly similar and markedly better example than "matrix 4" of a 4th movie in a franchise openly commenting on the previous 3 films in that franchise.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is where, before anything, we should go into a closer reading of Marx. Marx is not, like, saying that “the world is a vampire”. He’s not Billy Corgan. Here’s the context of the famous ‘vampire’ quote:

“What is a working-day? At all events, less than a natural day. By how much? The capitalist has his own views of this [outer limit], the necessary limit of the working-day. As capitalist, he is only capital personified. His soul is the soul of capital. But capital has one single life impulse, the tendency to create value and surplus-value, to make its constant factor, the means of production, absorb the greatest possible amount of surplus-labour. Capital is dead labour, that, vampire-like, only lives by sucking living labour, and lives the more, the more labour it sucks. The time during which the labourer works, is the time during which the capitalist consumes the labour-power he has purchased of him. If the labourer consumes his disposable time for himself, he robs the capitalist.”

The vampire is specifically a vampiric ‘impulse’ in the soul of the capitalist which, in this case, pushes him to extend the proletarian work-day as long as possible. The vampire can be fought by reducing the hours in the work-day, and/or taking control of the means of production so that the sale of labour to the capitalist is no longer necessary. There’s nothing at all vague or mystical here.

(Marx is also fairly clear that the capitalist cannot directly ‘be’ capital. Capitalists, insofar as they are human, obviously have more than one impulse. The ‘vampiric impulse’ is both intimate and external to the capitalist himself - in the capital).

Capital is vampire-like. Not the capitalist. The capital doesn't manifest the capitalist's vampiric impulse; rather, the capitalist personifies the capital's vampiric impulse. I agree that there's nothing "vague" or "mystical" going on here - we really do have a social construct which feeds ravenously on human lives, and therefore attempts to maximize the length of the time of day in which it can do this. What if this were to be taken to its logical conclusion? What if capital could latch on to you, physically, and drain your muscle, brain, and nerve every last second of every last hour of every last day? Well,

quote:

So we can express things in very clear terms: if we assume that the humans in the pods are working 24 hours a day, Tom Anderson does not work 24 hours a day at Metacortex. Even accounting for overtime, he’s still going to clubs and surfing the Web, or whatever. There’s an obvious gulf.

While the vampiric impulse might ‘want’ unlimited, ceaseless work, this can only happen in a mind-control fantasy scenario without sleep. If a matrix pod actually existed, and you put someone inside, they would very quickly starve and die. Put all of humanity inside, and the species is extinct within, like, a year? At most? But Tom believes and fears that this can somehow continue indefinitely.

...it would put you in a pod. You write here as though plugged-in humans only feed the machines when they're going to their simulated day jobs, but I don't know why, since both of us know that's not true. (I don't know why you're pretending the pods don't contain life support systems, either) There's no point in the day in which the machines are tapping humans for energy. So in fact that inescapable and unceasing nature of the exploitation of humans by the machines precisely reflects the dynamic written about in the "vampire" quote, just literalized and taken to a logical extreme!

quote:

This is where you’ll repeat that you’re only making an analogy. It’s just a metaphor, and so we don’t need to be very precise. Like with Terminator, right?

In Terminator, the logic of the future is immanent in the present. In Matrix, by contrast, there isn’t any immanence; there is only a blunt simultaneity. This is a very important distinction! Kyle Reese is a prophet with memories of the future, while Sarah Connor in T2 ‘merely’ has vivid nightmares of being burned alive. Her heart is in the right place, insofar as she is against the abstract concept of nuclear holocaust, but she is wrong about what’s going on. This leads to obvious mistakes, where she tries to kill Bob and so-on. That’s a good analogy for Matrix.

The simultaneity actually makes the Matrix a more cogent illustration, as Zizek(!) points out in that non-review. Terminator fantasizes about a capitalism that has outgrown people, but that's simply less accurate than a capitalism which has, instead, become the omnipresent mediating substance of all human social relations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ferrinus posted:

It's still really funny to me that poor Neo is surrounded by hostile NPCs and seething at the fact that the woman he knows is meant for him has been taken by Chad. Unfortunately, there's no way around the fact that NPCs - Chad included - are people, and have reasons for doing what they do. The good news is, icing normies is justifiable as far back as Matrix 1.

Neo as Incel school shooter analogue is pretty hilarious, I'll be honest.

So in preparation for watching this I sat down and watched all four movies in a row on saturday. I'd seen the original a half dozen times, but had not seen the sequels since 2003.

2+3 are still distinctly lesser than 1, but are nowhere near as bad as I remembered. They do benefit from being viewed together, but I feel they benefit more from being divorced from the massive unattainable hype.

I liked matrix 4, it probably is my 3rd favorite matrix property, Matrix 1 and parts of the Animatrix being above it. The action was not great for most of it, certain things didnt make sense (why was nusmith immune to the analysts slow down power?) The sound/dialogue mix fuckin sucked. Maybe its better at a theater but I could barely understand Bugs a lot of the time and the hobo Merovingian was completely unintelligible (though that might've been intentional).

I kinda thought the Gremlins 2 analogy worked, but really only for the first 15 mins or so at the game company where the movie is basically saying "hey audience, gently caress this movie and gently caress you too". Its never as fun or good as Gremlins 2 though.

Notes on 2+3:

The burly brawl was bad in 2003 and is embarassing garbage now. Its also way too loving long.

The battle for zion was very technically impressive but also dumb and way too long. It also featured The Kid, who was annoying.

Neo's lovely DBZ fight against Smith at the end of 3 needed to be either more grounded or less grounded.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Matrix 2 and 3 suck because they failed to live up to what we were given in the first movie's ending: a Neo who could alter the virtual reality so easily that the walls accidentally get warped from him doing a stretching exercise.

we should've got four hours of cyber man or padre bending skyscrapers into funny shapes and snapping his fingers like Q every time an agent shows up. instead his powerset was limited to flying like superman and... taking a punch good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
basically Matrix 2 and 3 should have made Tetsuo: the Iron Man look quaint... the biggest sin of the sequels is that they are boring

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Matrix 2 and 3 were meant to be critical of the messiah stories like matrix 1. One aspect of neo is he really didn’t know what to do as the messiah beyond Kung fu and kept looking for answers in other places. That being said, yeah reality warping neo could be fun to see also, though i think less interesting to discuss.

I like the final smith and neo fight in 3 for the most part, though like much of 2 and 3 it’s just a little too long. But the setting is great, all the smiths are creepy, music is dramatic, and much of the fighting is pretty good, especially in thst one building. Then it ends with some great Weaving monologging and philosophy debate.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

HorseLord posted:

Matrix 2 and 3 suck because they failed to live up to what we were given in the first movie's ending: a Neo who could alter the virtual reality so easily that the walls accidentally get warped from him doing a stretching exercise.

we should've got four hours of cyber man or padre bending skyscrapers into funny shapes and snapping his fingers like Q every time an agent shows up. instead his powerset was limited to flying like superman and... taking a punch good?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Could Neo have freed everyone from the Matrix in half an A press?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Convinced that this image is somehow involved in a Basilisk hack.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I'm not sure I agree Neo was quite as powerful at the end of 1 as is being discussed, but I agree he appears more powerful than in 2/3. It was definitely the right choice if Matrix 1 was all there would be. "Well, Neo has achieved his final form and is unstoppable now!" Credits roll. Awesome.

Walking it back for 2 was also the right choice, if a bit dissatisfying. It would be really difficult to have an omnipotent god as a protagonist. There would never be any tension or conflict. As mentioned, he would snap his fingers to instantly resolve any dilemma. Even toning his power way down, we saw the lengths they had to go to provide a credible threat to him in 3. The other alternative would be to have another character(s) be the focus and make Neo a background character, would I think would have been even more dissatisfying.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Neo really going nuts at the moment of his ascension is what resulted in the viral Smith, so I can see why he'd maybe settle for functional invincibility without directly dissolving the distinctions between himself and the code around him on the reg.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ferrinus posted:

Neo really going nuts at the moment of his ascension is what resulted in the viral Smith, so I can see why he'd maybe settle for functional invincibility without directly dissolving the distinctions between himself and the code around him on the reg.

Yeah but at the start of 2 he's been god for 6 months and just thinks Smith is permanently dead.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Not to re-litigate anything too much, but I didn't follow a lot of the points being made about Trinity's "family". My read on all the eventual zombies and Trinity's kids and husband were that they were just fabrications put in place to flesh out the world, and so the machines had nodes they could react with e.g. the zombie rush, and/or control/monitor key individuals e.g. Trinity's family. I didn't read them as individual programs like new Morpheus, Smith, frenchdude, and the exiles. It seemed like they were making a distinction from the 1999 Matrix where most if not all of the people you saw were actual people, and agents would take over their bodies as needed.

So, I didn't really feel like she was abandoning anything by going with Neo, more just finally seeing the Matrix for what it was (again). It would be like if you woke up and someone had given you a whole new family of Boston Dynamics robots, and somehow made your memory think that was your real family. Then one day you realize they are robots, so you leave. You'd definitely be mad that someone did that to you and how they did it, "That was for using (things that looked like) children," but you wouldn't feel any remorse for leaving after the fact.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I willfully choose to read it as Trinity roundhouse kicking her entire family, of real living people with hopes and dreams, to death, an unforgivable crime that unravels the pretense of this movie. In the next 200 posts between myself and the one person ITT not exasperated with me, I will

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Trinity heard about the sweet sweet strawberry capitalism and decided that family was just holding her down from being a girlboss.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
To me, it's a factual distinction rather than any kind of philosophical debate. If someone said, here's evidence that they are real people being taken over, then either that's persuasive or not.

At 48:57, new they say "The bots are being activated." "It's a swarm." That reads to me like a machine/Matrix sleeper cell being activated to respond to a threat, then communicating that it's a big one. If they were taking over real humans like the first movie, why not just transform them into (the much more capable) agents?

They do go through the motions of all the gyrating and straining that we saw when people were being taken over by agents in other movies, though. Maybe that's a necessary part of activating their true purpose. Or maybe that means they are real people being taken over and I'm just wrong.

I'm mostly through my re-watch, and thinking about this - are there any agents in this movie other than inside the modal? Is this just the new way they perform the agent function? Have I just outed myself as a bad movie-watcher?

Edit--

The husband and the kids are way too calm walking into a room full of SWAT and FBI with guns drawn (oblivious to the situation in a way no real people would be), and the husband is way too forceful. More importantly, he does do an instant (no straining) transformation, when his cover is blown.

2:04:42 - "He's turning bots into bombs." If these were real people, would it not be likely for him to say, "he's turning people into bombs"?

Seems like the effect is used inconsistently. The husband transforms instantly and with no straining. There's a driver that transforms before ramming one of the crew's cars, and seems surprised but doesn't spasm around. The people on the Japanese train earlier on do the full screaming old-agent transformation deal. After re-watching, not really sure what to think.

RVT fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RVT posted:

To me, it's a factual distinction rather than any kind of philosophical debate. If someone said, here's evidence that they are real people being taken over, then either that's persuasive or not.

At 48:57, new they say "The bots are being activated." "It's a swarm." That reads to me like a machine/Matrix sleeper cell being activated to respond to a threat, then communicating that it's a big one. If they were taking over real humans like the first movie, why not just transform them into (the much more capable) agents?

They do go through the motions of all the gyrating and straining that we saw when people were being taken over by agents in other movies, though. Maybe that's a necessary part of activating their true purpose. Or maybe that means they are real people being taken over and I'm just wrong.

I'm mostly through my re-watch, and thinking about this - are there any agents in this movie other than inside the modal? Is this just the new way they perform the agent function? Have I just outed myself as a bad movie-watcher?

Edit--

The husband and the kids are way too calm walking into a room full of SWAT and FBI with guns drawn (oblivious to the situation in a way no real people would be), and the husband is way too forceful. More importantly, he does do an instant (no straining) transformation, when his cover is blown.

2:04:42 - "He's turning bots into bombs." If these were real people, would it not be likely for him to say, "he's turning people into bombs"?

Seems like the effect is used inconsistently. The husband transforms instantly and with no straining. There's a driver that transforms before ramming one of the crew's cars, and seems surprised but doesn't spasm around. The people on the Japanese train earlier on do the full screaming old-agent transformation deal. After re-watching, not really sure what to think.

You are a bad movie watcher (it's okay, your reg date suggests you probably had to take a nap or two during the film). Neil Patrick Harris has a whole part of his speech where he explains that flooding the Matrix with bots is much cheaper and more effective than having automonous agents try to exert control. This is a deep and subtle metaphor for how flooding social media with bots is much cheaper and more effective than having autonomous agents try to exert control.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RVT posted:

Not to re-litigate anything too much, but I didn't follow a lot of the points being made about Trinity's "family". My read on all the eventual zombies and Trinity's kids and husband were that they were just fabrications put in place to flesh out the world, and so the machines had nodes they could react with e.g. the zombie rush, and/or control/monitor key individuals e.g. Trinity's family. I didn't read them as individual programs like new Morpheus, Smith, frenchdude, and the exiles. It seemed like they were making a distinction from the 1999 Matrix where most if not all of the people you saw were actual people, and agents would take over their bodies as needed.

So, I didn't really feel like she was abandoning anything by going with Neo, more just finally seeing the Matrix for what it was (again). It would be like if you woke up and someone had given you a whole new family of Boston Dynamics robots, and somehow made your memory think that was your real family. Then one day you realize they are robots, so you leave. You'd definitely be mad that someone did that to you and how they did it, "That was for using (things that looked like) children," but you wouldn't feel any remorse for leaving after the fact.

That is clearly, overwhelmingly, obviously what the movie was going for.

However, like the movie points out: a major system of control applied to women is expectations around family. Which is true, so no matter how clearly the movie explains it people will get mad at the sins against motherhood she committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is clearly, overwhelmingly, obviously what the movie was going for.

However, like the movie points out: a major system of control applied to women is expectations around family. Which is true, so no matter how clearly the movie explains it people will get mad at the sins against motherhood she committed.

I mean, thats true, but usually the answer isn't "your children aren't real", and the prior four movies go out of their way to assert that there are no zombies; the AI are people, the squids are people, the jacked smiths are people, the people are people, the matrix is real in its own way. So making them fake zombies feels like a pulled punch from a director that has been pretty content with having their action heroes murder real people in the past.

It would have been more in-line with the series & given the decision to abandon them for Neo more weight, in-my-opinion, if they were just unfortunate victims of these familial expectations rather than terminators.