Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goddammit they couldn't even give us the decency and closure of Wilbur's skull cavities already hollowed out from crabs and fish having eaten his tongue and eyes

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This is all okay if it turns out that Wilbur has washed up at Hedonism II

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Click here for cursed wilbur content.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

So that's 100% a sales pitch she uses in multiple places. I'm onto how you work by now, comic.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere: Disco is starting to get some backlash for reasons that definitely have nothing to do with racism or homophobia, nope

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

I just might...
The Good Innvandrer
(The Good Immigrant)
Basically a strip about Janine El Khawand from Libanon that fell in love with a norwegian, went to visit him, got stuck in the corona epidemic and made a comic strip about it:

Cool! I had forgotten about this strip. It's a pretty good one.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ronya posted:

the castle of Iillwynde, more like the castle of hot matchups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUqBR6S4i5g

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The burglar (40/1936)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I guess I'll put my arcade token down on [Something odd and 1970's about women and safeguarding combs that is treated as Physical Law], Chuck's bald and hates all hair care products with a blinding passion, so the comb belongs to Tex.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

I guess I'll put my arcade token down on [Something odd and 1970's about women and safeguarding combs that is treated as Physical Law], Chuck's bald and hates all hair care products with a blinding passion, so the comb belongs to Tex.

That was my guess too ... back in the 70s women would use a hairbrush, not a comb.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

My Lovely Horse posted:

1930's Germany was a wild place.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Elsewhere: Disco is starting to get some backlash for reasons that definitely have nothing to do with racism or homophobia, nope

This was not quite to the level of 10 Cent Beer Night in the list of Bad Baseball Promotion Ideas, but it's up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJfOcnYYEQ

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

My guess is that's a metal flea comb and we just can't tell because 1970's print quality.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Haifisch posted:

So that's 100% a sales pitch she uses in multiple places. I'm onto how you work by now, comic.
If there's one thing Uramachi Sakaba has shown us, it's that the owner is actually a pretty easy mark.

ChaCha Chako

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 19, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

way too unbelievable

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's what they get for using genuine Rohm revolvers: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428991

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

How the gently caress does Wilbur still have his glasses

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Angry People, Falling In Love, We're Completely Normal, Throwing Bottles At God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EehtkGu7Imk

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Hell yeah, get it, grandma!!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

If there's one thing Uramachi Sakaba has shown us, it's that the owner is actually a pretty easy mark.

drat granny get some!!!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on Break but check out the remake Tauhid did of his first strip:

Original:

Remake:

quote:

Sales Kit Strips

So when you get syndicated there’s a thing called a sales kit that you have to put together. It’s basically six weeks of strips that every paper runs when they pick up your comic. When you pick these comics it’s a good idea do redo any that come from early in the run so the art matches with the current style. It’s also a chance to punch up the writing a little bit. Above is the very first Crabgrass strip redone for syndication. You can see the difference in art style here more than any other strip.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 19, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 3-4, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 6, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 7, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 19, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 21, 1936

Mopsy September 28, 1937

Up Front November 1, 1944

Dark Laughter August 19, 1950

So It Seems April 3, 1952

Those Were the Days February 6, 1958

Wee Pals April 12, 1966

Dogbert November 9, 1966

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Holy poo poo the art growth in Crabgrass, that kicks rear end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth...Or Maybe Eighth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 4, 1934)

Peanuts (January 21, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 27-29, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (August 8-10, 1918)

Dok's Dippy Plot Resolution (December 9, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 9-11, 1935)

Angelo Herndon still had a ways to go from here, but sometimes the wheel of justice moves in the proper direction.

My scanning time for Blondie got eaten up by clearing the driveway. Yeah, let's go with that for now...

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass is on Break but check out the remake Tauhid did of his first strip:

Original:

Remake:

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

The art is an obvious improvement (so much more dynamic! you can see both their faces and how expressive they are this time!), but I really appreciate the punch-up on the dialogue. It really captures what a better handle he has on the characters and their personalities after all this time. :3:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Wait a minute. In Korea you can earn money shitposting? All this time I've been doing it for free! Why didn't someone tell me?? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "512 - Jucika And The Playful Dog"

"cipo = shoe"

"513 - Jucika And The Virtuous Landlady"

I think Husband has vanished entirely by now.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

This was not quite to the level of 10 Cent Beer Night in the list of Bad Baseball Promotion Ideas, but it's up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJfOcnYYEQ
I think I remember reading about it in one of legendary umpire Ron Luciano's books. The disco destruction was supposed to take place on the field between the games of a double header. A few minutes before the second game was supposed to start someone came into the umpires' dressing room and told them that the second came could not start on time because about 15,000 people were still destroying disco on the field. Furthermore, they were also destroying the field.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's extended Blueberry: How will Prosit get out of this predicament?! Spoiler: He does, or Living big and easy in the Big Easy, or How will Prosit get out of THIS predicament?! Spoiler: He doesn't

And so ends our latest adventure! And I shall be starting the next adventure at the usual time, but I want to add... I dunno, a warning? I know I said it when the new thread started, but I wish to re-iterate and to expand - the next adventure is set most of the time in Mexico... and it's visual representation of Mexican people is far from ideal, imho - going into flat-out racism at one point (albeit not with a person from Mexico). This means there will be a lot more Spanish, to boot - which I will have to use Google Translate for, so I'm guessing it won't be Mexican-Spanish accurate.

It's also... a lot meaner? Blueberry was never an old-fashioned white-hat Western, but this next adventure becomes Noir-esque, both in story and in tone. Maybe I am being overly-cautious - but this thread is generally for light enjoyment, so I'd much rather cover my bases.

So join me next time, won't you? In the adventure of Chihuahua Pearl, where we say: JEEZ LADY! BACK OFF! Haven't you ever heard of personal space?!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Samovar posted:

So join me next time, won't you? In the adventure of Chihuahua Pearl, where we say: JEEZ LADY! BACK OFF! Haven't you ever heard of personal space?!

She has very nice teeth for the setting and in spite of a smoking habit

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

dismas posted:

She has very nice teeth for the setting and in spite of a smoking habit

Yeah... McClure is, in several ways, more realistic than some folk in this setting.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
No, it's not. But the surrounding environment is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori. Couldn't decide on the translation so you get to!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Axa

I would very much like to have what Romero's having, please.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Is the guy in the Flash t-shirt supposed to be someone specific or is the Flash just uncharacteristically uncomfortable to meet a fan? Or is there something else going on that I'm missing entirely?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Is the guy in the Flash t-shirt supposed to be someone specific or is the Flash just uncharacteristically uncomfortable to meet a fan? Or is there something else going on that I'm missing entirely?

Flash Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

If a person reading this thread didn't get it I can't imagine how any random newspaper reader was supposed to.