Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The last time I posted "boris definitely won't resign" he resigned about an hour later

So here it is
Boris definitely won't resign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He won't resign, there'll be a party VONC and he'll cling on narrowly, and spend the next 12 months being teabagged by all of the other horrible shits in his party.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

did anyone hear "what a dick" at the end of PMQs lol

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

FWIW now would be a great time for a by-election for a defector. There's a public opposition to the government, he's jumped a sinking ship, and he gets to say "well I represented you previously but I can't stand behind Boris any more" in what should be a Labour gain seat.

If anything Labour should be pushing for one to show they can beat the Tories again.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Looke posted:

did anyone hear "what a dick" at the end of PMQs lol

It was Hoyle whispering "what a day!"

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Anyone who remains a Labour member deserves every ounce of disrespect you can muster. Tell you melt friend: Labour is for Tories.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Johnson now announcing that everyone's on their own when it comes to covid, which will definitely enough to get him back in the good books of the headbangers in the event of a VONC.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The longer he stays PM the more damage he inflicts on the tories. In that respect, I hope he remains in office for a while longer yet.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Johnson now announcing that everyone's on their own when it comes to covid, which will definitely enough to get him back in the good books of the headbangers in the event of a VONC.

He also said we've beaten Covid despite the hundreds still dying every day.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It particularly annoys me when people pronounce it suthuk, voicing the "th". It was originally "South Wark", the normal erosion of pronunciation turned it into suvvuk, either you accept the erosion or you don't, don't drop a "th" in there just to sound like you're better than the common proles.

I live in Southwark with a voiced 'th' and there's nothing you can do to stop me. :mad:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stev posted:

He also said we've beaten Covid despite the hundreds still dying every day.

He means he outlasted the Press' interest in the subject.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

fuctifino posted:

The longer he stays PM the more damage he inflicts on the tories. In that respect, I hope he remains in office for a while longer yet.

On the flipside, you very rarely get an opportunity to kick out a sitting PM. Gotta take em where you can.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Better to have a known idiot than a competent Tory.

The figurehead might be changed but it's still the same scummy party until they get voted out. :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Better to have a known idiot than a competent Tory.

The figurehead might be changed but it's still the same scummy party until they get voted out. :argh:

But all the likely successors are also known idiots

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

EvilHawk posted:

FWIW now would be a great time for a by-election for a defector. There's a public opposition to the government, he's jumped a sinking ship, and he gets to say "well I represented you previously but I can't stand behind Boris any more" in what should be a Labour gain seat.

If anything Labour should be pushing for one to show they can beat the Tories again.

Yes if Kieth had any sense he'd be relishing a by-election

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

On the flipside, you very rarely get an opportunity to kick out a sitting PM. Gotta take em where you can.

lol thats the most common way we kick out pm's, the last PM we had who got voted out was Gordon Brown

https://twitter.com/BurySouthCLP/status/1351429061797666817

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1004656199885836288

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Sorry like, but this whole thing is hilarious. Keith welcoming a pretty repulsive Tory to the "centrist" Labour Party might just get Johnson off the hook... You couldn't write this kind of incompetence.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mfcrocker posted:

Hard to argue that either Cameron->May or May->Johnson were upgrades.

Very funny at the time, but that's about it.

Of course, in the dark future of 2022 politics, banter is often its own reward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have been reading south wark as it is spelled but I am open to replacing the wark with an actual chicken noise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

I live in Southwark with a voiced 'th' and there's nothing you can do to stop me. :mad:

Not much *I* can do about it, but :thermidor: will change the way you pronounce things real quick, posho.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Looga- brooga.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you think journalists pronouncing Bury is funny, you should hear them say Milngavie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

If you think journalists pronouncing Bury is funny, you should hear them say Milngavie.

Or "Derry"

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Prole posted:

Sorry like, but this whole thing is hilarious. Keith welcoming a pretty repulsive Tory to the "centrist" Labour Party might just get Johnson off the hook... You couldn't write this kind of incompetence.

The new dude sounds pretty centrist and the more lovely labour becomes the better they do in the polls

Of course, the polls are always wrong so

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Are the people who said Corbyn should have a by-election if he created his own party saying the same about this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How... how do you pronounce bury other than how it's spelled?

Like yes it's not spelled berry but we already pronounce the word bury as in to inter in the ground that way.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
labour should back a by-election tbh, call Boris's bluff with his 'and we'll win it again' rhetoric + nip all the opportunism and hypocrisy spin in the bud

if you're not confident you can win under these conditions then you can't win and are just bed-blocking, have some guts or quit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

As in, "help I'm all covered in burrs, I'm all burry."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As in, "help I'm all covered in burrs, I'm all burry."

The gently caress is wrong with people's brains, it's a word, it's pronounced exactly like the word, and exactly like the suffix in every other loving place in the country that has it in.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
+ it was a knife edge last time, very good chance they could edge it this time. a win would really would set the tone for the rest of this parliament + start hares running in every other former labour swing seat

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

But all the likely successors are also known idiots

Better a known quantity than getting Priti Patel after they assassinate each other.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

The gently caress is wrong with people's brains, it's a word, it's pronounced exactly like the word, and exactly like the suffix in every other loving place in the country that has it in.

Be thankful they don't pronounce it like Jury.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, but heteronyms exist so English is definitely not a language where you can say "pronounce word like word" especially for placenames. This example is fairly dumb tho

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Starmer has definitely promised no by-election as part of the defection and he will be mysteriously less open to going back on this deal to admit someone to the PLP than other deals he has made in a similar context.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

I pronounce the suffix very differently from the word. :shrug:

It's Berry, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless I am mistaken I don't think it is at all up to starmer whether or not there would be a byelection, it is entirely up to the sitting MP unless he is subject to recall for doing actual crimes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

I have been reading south wark as it is spelled but I am open to replacing the wark with an actual chicken noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUKuxlHYts

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Communist Thoughts posted:

The new dude sounds pretty centrist and the more lovely labour becomes the better they do in the polls

Of course, the polls are always wrong so

Going by his voting record he's pretty much full-fat Tory scum tbh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Like yes it's not spelled berry but we already pronounce the word bury as in to inter in the ground that way.

Mill-guy tho