Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
battleships is forts we taught to swim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

battleships is forts we taught to swim

You're joking, but...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What a wild fight

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Kriegsmarine probably regrets awarding the munitions contract to the Nerf Corporation

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well now that was a slugging match.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I makea de pasta

i sinka de nazis

ohhhhhhh

kommy5 posted:

...I suggest looking at the brackets.

ACTUAL anti-italian discrimination

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Battle #19: HMS Vanguard vs USS Tennessee

The Standards did incredibly well in round 1, but they're going to come up against some much stiffer opposition in round 2. Tennessee is tough, but Vanguard may just be even tougher. In fact, Vanguard is probably the toughest ship in the competition behind only Yamato. All except for one thing...the British, for some baffling reason, decided to use papier-mache for her conning tower armor in lieu of steel. Any hit to her conning tower will likely punch through it...

Tennessee has the same lunkhead features of all the standards, but also has a high end radar, which probably really helped her upset Nagato. Both ships will struggle to really hurt the other at anything other than very close range, so this looks a bit like a good old fashioned slugfest. Tennessee will be incredibly tough to put down, and the ability to Just Keep Firing seems to have a lot of value in these fights...

Probably the finest sea-boat of the battleship era.

*tuba noises*

Vanguard deals damage at 29.1 km, on her third salvo. Her gunnery has consistently been the best we've seen so far.

All of these big holes in Tenn's deck were put there outside of 28km...a fine return for that long range.

Tenn doesn't open up until around 25km, but her gunnery at that range is also solid. The 14" standards volume of fire is always quite good.

A 14" shell thuds into Vanguard's belt from a range of 24km.

Tenn is taking an absolute beating. We've just crossed 20km, and she's been hit by 34 15" shells. Both towers and her #1 turret are damaged, though functional.

Tenn loses one turret...

And another.

But she's still putting high-quality fire onto Vanguard. Vanguard's armor soaks it up, though, for the most part.

Flooding begins to become an issue for Tenn. The ships are now inside 15km, and Vanguard isn't missing the mark very often. Her shells aren't doing catatrophic damage individually, but the sheer number of hits is whittling down Tenn in a hurry. Tenn takes a round to the conn, but aside from hurting her accuracy, she doesn't seem dramatically affected.

Tenn loses a third turret.

And her list becomes more severe...

Water washes over her deck. The vanquisher of Nagato is in deep trouble.

And finally, the tough old battlewagon rolls over and heads to the bottom, her topside a wreck and nearly all of her insides full of water.

I was bracing myself for another Standard upset here, and am legit surprised how one-sided this was. I think it demonstrates that the Homer Simpson boxing approach to battleship fighting might get you through lighter armored opponents, but when you come up against someone as tough or tougher than you are, and who can shoot this well, you're kind of screwed. Tenn hit Vanguard with a good number of heavy shells, but did no serious damage and hardly impacted her fighting ability at all.

That said, it took around 90% of Vanguard's magazine to sink Tennessee. She was a tough girl.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone explain the tuba jokes?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Standards are fat as gently caress, because they can be with a speed requirement of only 21kts, and from an armour efficiency perspective the closer you are to a sphere the better.

Also the reason Vanguard has only light armour on the conning tower is because the British decided after Jutland that medium armour is useless, and armouring the coning tower sufficiently to withstand modern projectiles is too much weight too high up, so it was better to just go for splinter protection only. On the whole I think they got that right, I can't think of any British ship who lost a fight because of damage to her upperworks, and by doing so they saved a significant amount of weight and, more importantly, stability, since a giant armoured block 50 feet above deck level is obviously not ideal from a sea keeping perspective.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If I recall correctly, they found that captains were overwhelmingly commanding their ships from the bridge and not the conning tower anyway, because they wanted to be able to see what was happening out there. If the conning tower really only protects a couple guys in there responding to the captain's shouted orders, it's not worth the armor.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pharnakes posted:

Also the reason Vanguard has only light armour on the conning tower is because the British decided after Jutland that medium armour is useless, and armouring the coning tower sufficiently to withstand modern projectiles is too much weight too high up, so it was better to just go for splinter protection only. On the whole I think they got that right, I can't think of any British ship who lost a fight because of damage to her upperworks, and by doing so they saved a significant amount of weight and, more importantly, stability, since a giant armoured block 50 feet above deck level is obviously not ideal from a sea keeping perspective.

Sort of yes. Many of their previous battleships had their conning towers armored with heavy armor to the level of the belts, for example the QE's have 13" for both the belt and the CT instead of medium armor. However, after experience at Jutland, they found that this is not enough, as when you have a relatively small room, even if it is very heavily armored, when a large-caliber shell hits it everyone inside is going to be incapacitated or dead from the shock alone, even if there is no penetration.

Luckily, this did not impact them materially because another thing they found at Jutland is that no self-respecting British captain is going to step inside the conning tower during a fleet action, because you can't see from there, and by the standards of behaviour of the time, the captain can't very well hide under armor when those under his command will have to brave the enemy shells outside it. Every single ship at Jutland was led from the flying bridge for the entire duration of the fireworks.

So after the battle the ship design guys collected AARs from the leadership and basically went: "These things cost an arm and a leg in displacement and stability, no-one thinks they actually work, and even if they believed they would work, they still wouldn't be used. Delete."

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pierzak posted:

Someone explain the tuba jokes?

The American standards are slow, fat and ugly WW1 era battle wagons that punched above their weight in the first round. At this point they're facing newer, sleeker, better looking opponents. Hence tuba music for the slow, fat, middle-aged guy that showed up to the dance.

Edit: Colorado has a very legit shot to advance thanks to the North Carolina's cowardice letting it be pitted against a French cruiser killer.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 19, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ice Fist posted:

Edit: Colorado has a very legit shot to advance thanks to the North Carolina's cowardice letting it be pitted against a French cruiser killer. Colorado being a mighty chonkbote

Colorado is fine on her own merits!

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Colorado is fine on her own merits!

Especially if she isn't done dirty again and gets the radar and fire control the majority of the class got.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Is it just me, or did New Mexico seem to have done better against Yamato than Tennessee did against Vanguard?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Another victory for accuracy. I was beginning to wonder if something about the game engine was favouring Standards, but those consistent long-range hits are a serious ace up Vanguard's sleeve.

I wonder if we'll see Vanguard against Yamato. That would be one heck of a sight.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Finesse beating good ol' American herp derp fat assery cannot be forgiven! Iowa avenge us! :btroll:

Also I realize that putrescent aircraft carriers and their dishonorable carrion swarms are not part of this discussion but I saw a headline the other day that CV-63 Kitty Hawk (the lovely Kitty) just got towed out of the mothball fleet to be scrapped. She's too fat for the Panama Canal so she has to go all the way around South America to come back up and get scrapped in Texas. Score +1 for the standards being able to fit through the Panama Canal on the way to their own scrapping. Wait, I think I did this wrong...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Fabulousity posted:

Finesse beating good ol' American herp derp fat assery cannot be forgiven! Iowa avenge us! :btroll:

Also I realize that putrescent aircraft carriers and their dishonorable carrion swarms are not part of this discussion but I saw a headline the other day that CV-63 Kitty Hawk (the lovely Kitty) just got towed out of the mothball fleet to be scrapped. She's too fat for the Panama Canal so she has to go all the way around South America to come back up and get scrapped in Texas. Score +1 for the standards being able to fit through the Panama Canal on the way to their own scrapping. Wait, I think I did this wrong...

Fun fact: No US carriers have been able to transit the Canal since we started building them with angled decks. They were going to build the Nimitz-class so that with some extensive preparation it could fit, but eventually somebody realized that it would take less time to go around the Horn than to pack it up, squeeze through, and unpack again.

I can't find records as to which US flattop was the last to transit, but I get the impression it would have been round about the Korean War. Probably an Essex-class.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 20, 2022

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Regarding the Standards, Wikipedia says they were all built to fit certain tactical characteristics, so they could all work together as a unit, and that those characteristics were all-or-nothing armor scheme, all main guns on the centerline in fore and aft turrets with no amidships guns, designed range of about 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km) at economical cruising speed, top speed of 21 knots (39 km/h), and tactical turn radius of 700 yards. I understand the all-or-nothing armor, and expect the last three were just "all these ships can do the same maneuvers and operations", but what's the particular advantage of all centerline fore and aft guns? Is it just a guarantee that every gun will be available for a broadside without crossdeck firing?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There were... interesting gun arrangements during the early dreadnought era, including but not limited to wing turrets, offsetting turrets for cross-deck fire, the abomination that was the Nassau, and so on.

The US went in on superfiring turrets real early.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Taerkar posted:

There were... interesting gun arrangements during the early dreadnought era, including but not limited to wing turrets, offsetting turrets for cross-deck fire, the abomination that was the Nassau, and so on.

The US went in on superfiring turrets real early.

I hear you're interested in crimes against man and god.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tomn posted:

I hear you're interested in crimes against man and god.

Why. How. How did you have 17 inch guns and build a badnought.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

Regarding the Standards, Wikipedia says they were all built to fit certain tactical characteristics, so they could all work together as a unit, and that those characteristics were all-or-nothing armor scheme, all main guns on the centerline in fore and aft turrets with no amidships guns, designed range of about 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km) at economical cruising speed, top speed of 21 knots (39 km/h), and tactical turn radius of 700 yards. I understand the all-or-nothing armor, and expect the last three were just "all these ships can do the same maneuvers and operations", but what's the particular advantage of all centerline fore and aft guns? Is it just a guarantee that every gun will be available for a broadside without crossdeck firing?

I would guess that it's to simplify the work involved in designing, building, and maintaining the ships. Picking a single "style" of ship makes it easier to gather and retain expertise in that type of design.

There's a lot of ways you can screw up a battleship. Trying to put stuff too close to the big guns, putting the vents in the wrong place (far too many Royal Navy ships had the vent stack in front of the observation platforms :psyduck:), putting too much weight high up...if you can say "look, we want another one of these ships, except fix X, Y, and Z", you're much more likely to come up with a good design, than you are if you say "we're going to do a blank-slate re-imagining of what a battleship can be."

Something that ties into this is that building a battleship is a multi-year endeavor, and depending on where you are in history, you might have multiple years' worth of designs in production at the same time. That can leave you in the un-enviable position of recently having discovered a serious flaw in your ship designs, and not being able to get ships with fixes for it for another 2-3 years, because the ships currently in production are too far along to fix.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Night10194 posted:

Why. How. How did you have 17 inch guns and build a badnought.

The 17 inch guns displease you? Then perhaps you would like 18 inch guns!

(These aren't mine BTW, to be clear)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No, no, I love 17 inch cannons, they are the ultimate hipster caliber.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Centerline fore and aft is basically just the best arrangement, hence why all capital ships eventually converged on it (unless you discount the all-forward schemes, which I would call variations on the theme). Amidships guns have terrible firing angles and are more likely to damage the superstructure. Wing turrets require structural compromises (you want something as heavy as a turret, which weighs about as much as a destroyer, to sit more or less directly on the keel) and sometimes interfere with the armor scheme.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
those standards were tough ol botes.

this is a good thread

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
I for one love the tuba noises, and would love to see a fleet battle between a force built around later standards and something of their contemporaries.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tuna-Fish posted:

Sort of yes. Many of their previous battleships had their conning towers armored with heavy armor to the level of the belts, for example the QE's have 13" for both the belt and the CT instead of medium armor. However, after experience at Jutland, they found that this is not enough, as when you have a relatively small room, even if it is very heavily armored, when a large-caliber shell hits it everyone inside is going to be incapacitated or dead from the shock alone, even if there is no penetration.

Luckily, this did not impact them materially because another thing they found at Jutland is that no self-respecting British captain is going to step inside the conning tower during a fleet action, because you can't see from there, and by the standards of behaviour of the time, the captain can't very well hide under armor when those under his command will have to brave the enemy shells outside it. Every single ship at Jutland was led from the flying bridge for the entire duration of the fireworks.

So after the battle the ship design guys collected AARs from the leadership and basically went: "These things cost an arm and a leg in displacement and stability, no-one thinks they actually work, and even if they believed they would work, they still wouldn't be used. Delete."

All of this is true.

However, in this game every captain is assumed to be in the conning tower so Vanguard's up the creek somewhat. You take like a 25% penalty to gun accuracy for losing the conning tower.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
For the edification of the thread, I present Navweaps’ essay surveying the Standards as a broad category. It goes into many of the design philosophies and why they were built the way they were, plus a look at their actual battle damage. (Mostly bombs and torpedoes, but they held up pretty well.)

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-071.php

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The captains of this game assume being head of boat means you have to be located right at the highest bit.

A downfall for many.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bibliosabreur posted:

For the edification of the thread, I present Navweaps’ essay surveying the Standards as a broad category. It goes into many of the design philosophies and why they were built the way they were, plus a look at their actual battle damage. (Mostly bombs and torpedoes, but they held up pretty well.)

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-071.php

"Evaluating the performance of the "Standard Type" is frustrating. None of these ships ever managed to take a heavy shell hit in battle."

This is the kind of attitude we need around here.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wonder if it's worth changing the design for Vanguard for this reason. It'd be silly for it to get sunk because the game assumes the captain is in a place where he'd never be.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I wonder if it's worth changing the design for Vanguard for this reason. It'd be silly for it to get sunk because the game assumes the captain is in a place where he'd never be.

It is really an interesting decision the RN made, I love this sort of thing ex post facto.

I *think* every other ship outside of KGV and Vanguard has a con armored more or less in line with the rest of the citadel. I don't know where other navies intended their captains to station during a battle but the con was obviously designed as the nerve center of the ship during a fight, so it makes sense for him to station there. I get the impetus to want to stand tall on the quarterdeck under enemy fire as past generations' captains did, but at the same time, if you can properly control the fight from an armored position I think ultimately you're increasing the chances for your crew's survival, even if they're not lucky enough to fight from inside the citadel.

I don't really know the impact on seakeeping and whatnot that heavily armored cons had, maybe that effect was more severe than I'm imagining. That said, if I'm a sailor or soldier or any other kind of fighting person, keeping my command team alive and in the fight and making smart decisions is one of the best ways to help me get through the fight alive, even if I'm at more direct risk than they.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SeanBeansShako posted:

The captains of this game assume being head of boat means you have to be located right at the highest bit.

Being head of the boat is a really lovely job.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phanatic posted:

Being head of the boat is a really lovely job.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

hotseat.png

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

It is really an interesting decision the RN made, I love this sort of thing ex post facto.

I *think* every other ship outside of KGV and Vanguard has a con armored more or less in line with the rest of the citadel. I don't know where other navies intended their captains to station during a battle but the con was obviously designed as the nerve center of the ship during a fight, so it makes sense for him to station there. I get the impetus to want to stand tall on the quarterdeck under enemy fire as past generations' captains did, but at the same time, if you can properly control the fight from an armored position I think ultimately you're increasing the chances for your crew's survival, even if they're not lucky enough to fight from inside the citadel.

I don't really know the impact on seakeeping and whatnot that heavily armored cons had, maybe that effect was more severe than I'm imagining. That said, if I'm a sailor or soldier or any other kind of fighting person, keeping my command team alive and in the fight and making smart decisions is one of the best ways to help me get through the fight alive, even if I'm at more direct risk than they.

How do you feel about tank commanders operating unbuttoned? The armored conning tower has much the same problems with visibility as the buttoned-up tank turret. It also doesn't have room for very many aides, so commanding from it will impose penalties to your situational awareness, information processing, and communications. It is very definitely a trade-off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

How do you feel about tank commanders operating unbuttoned? The armored conning tower has much the same problems with visibility as the buttoned-up tank turret. It also doesn't have room for very many aides, so commanding from it will impose penalties to your situational awareness, information processing, and communications. It is very definitely a trade-off.

I feel like this comparison is somewhat of an oversimplification. The captain in the conning tower can still get data from sources outside of the tower, especially radar arrays and lookouts. I can accept that it would be more challenging to convert that data into a useful situational report when you're inside the tower than when outside of it, but you wouldn't be as blind as a buttoned-up WW2-era tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The CIC was invented during WW2 to solve this sort of problem, after the clusterfucks in the Solomon Islands. It's a room deep in the ship with all sorts of displays.