Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What does the term "authoritarian" mean in the context of this discussion? Does it mean anything which is not a liberal democracy?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I explicitly stated how I interpret the term in the context of this specific discussion — right there in my post above yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Smeef posted:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I explicitly stated how I interpret the term in the context of this specific discussion — right there in my post above yours.
I mean, you used an extremely narrow definition that related only to specific instances. It doesn't really help me to understand "authoritarian" as it pertains to the original discussion about Covid.

Would you associate massive lockdowns and forced quarantines with 'authoritarian'? Do you believe those measures helped to curb the spread of Covid and save lives?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Judakel posted:

Did those authoritarian countries have the resources China has? You know, something very much relevant to whether you can actually pull it off? :confused: I am once again asking you to read the discussion, because that is one of the things I brought up when Smeef brought up a similar point.

I've read the discussion, I am still baffled as to how you can think you've constructed a rule based on 2 countries, one of which does not follow the rule. Whether other countries have the resources or not is irrelevent, you can't postulate that authoritarian countries deal with the pandemic well and non-authoritarian countries don't when *by your own omission* only two countries have dealt with it well, and one of those countries is non-authoritarian.

C'mon man, you can understand this, right?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What does the term "authoritarian" mean in the context of this discussion? Does it mean anything which is not a liberal democracy?

I don't think it's necessarily relevant at this stage, given that we're apparently only talking about China and Taiwan. So, whatever China is that Taiwan isn't.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, you used an extremely narrow definition that related only to specific instances. It doesn't really help me to understand "authoritarian" as it pertains to the original discussion about Covid.

Would you associate massive lockdowns and forced quarantines with 'authoritarian'? Do you believe those measures helped to curb the spread of Covid and save lives?

Fair enough — and to be clear, I am not proposing that how I'm using it in this case should be a universal definition, and my interpretation there was meant to avoid getting too bogged down in a definition.

To answer your questions in the second paragraph: No, I don't see lockdowns or quarantines as necessarily authoritarian, and both have curbed the spread of Covid and saved lives, both in China and elsewhere. I think China's control of information during the pandemic probably qualifies as authoritarian, though, and has probably not been helpful.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daduzi posted:

I don't think it's necessarily relevant at this stage, given that we're apparently only talking about China and Taiwan. So, whatever China is that Taiwan isn't.

so taiwan good, china bad? this sounds rather biased

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

lollontee posted:

so taiwan good, china bad? this sounds rather biased

I'm just going off of Judakel's posts. Besides, who said authoritarian was bad?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daduzi posted:

plenty of people itt have explicitly stated that china is bad because authoritarian

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

lollontee posted:

plenty of people itt have explicitly stated that china is bad because authoritarian

Nah.

China is bad because even though they have made several live-action remakes of "Journey to the West", they are yet to make a live action movie version of 喜羊羊与灰太狼 (Xie Yang Yang and Hui Tai Lang)

You know, the really cool cartoon about the sheep and the wolves.

Angelababy could play Hong Tai Lang, (the wolf's wife who beats him with a frying pan.) It'd be cool.

(Hong Tai Lang shown here for reference.)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Not China, the CCP

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darkest Auer posted:

Not China, the CCP

i rather doubt most posters here griping about chinese successes make the difference in their brains

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Daduzi posted:

you're maybe not gonna find many examples of people literally saying the words "authoritarian is bad" in this thread, but it's pretty heavily implied in the following posts that i got from clicking on a single random page of search results in this thread for the word "authoritarian", of which there are many more pages to pick from

Slow News Day posted:

I think it probably has more to do with ignorance than apathy. Most Americans wouldn’t be able to spot Taiwan on the map.

But I think if you explained Taiwan’s strategic and economic importance — bulwark against Chinese authoritarian sphere of dominance — then more would care.

Kavros posted:

And then you compare it against learned historical testimony from what people endured in previous systems that turned autocratic / dictatorial / authoritarian, and what similarities they share

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But the trains run on time!

lol

Almost as funny as the goons demanding people post evidence because they somehow never developed pattern recognition or read page one of the brutal authoritarian state playbook.

Sure, all those other times they detained people for face-crime against Daddy Xi's red handed apparatus. But this time is defferent. For reasons.

BrigadierSensible posted:

It is an international incident because both the accuser, (a famous sports star), and the accused, (a famous politician) are famous internationally.

Also lets take the China/CCP out of it for a sec and look at the undisputed facts.

A woman accuses a powerful man of rape.
A short time later the accusation, and indeed all mentions of it, most mentions of the woman in question and indeed the sport the woman plays are scrubbed from the internet by State Governing Institutions.

Even at this stage of the affair, this is a terrible oppressive and wrong thing. Victims of sexual assault have the right to be heard! Perpetrators of sexual assault should be held to account! Rape accusations are a serious thing and need to be treated seriously by the courts and society in general.

From here you can choose to believe she is not being coerced into writing poorly worded "I am OK. I am resting. Please do not question the matter further" emails, having casual dinners with coaches being filmed on phones whilst officials mention the date clearly, pointedly and repeatedly with the footage being released by State Media, and standing next to a tennis court awkwardly being filmed by the same State Media which is oestensibly there to film a "teenage tournament". You can choose to believe that if you want to. Whatever gets you through the night.

I do not. I believe that for the crime of daring to call out a high ranking Party Official for his rape, Peng Shuai is now being punished by the authoritarian oppressive and just plain petty and mean CCP. And at the very least is under extreme surveillance and restrictions.

Somaen posted:

Yeah it's also a sign of a very bad dishonest person when you're dismissing rape when you need to defend the honour of your favourite authoritarian state and weaponizing it when it can be used against a state you dislike. Pretty simple to stop coming to this thread I think? Or is there an uncontrollable force to post rape apology

MikeC posted:

lol, goons raging that they can't obtain the privilege of living under a repressive and authoritarian government just because they are all in on Covid zero.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"well what is authoritarian really" is, I suspect, a much easier argument to make if you don't actually live under that manner of rule.

But let's state the obvious and point out that no one will come to my house and warn me if I compare someone in power in the US to Winnie the Pooh.

Or if, you know, I posted online about the whole Actually Currently Commiting Genocide thing.

Or pointing out that WE MUST GRIND ALL THE HAMSTERS TO DUST is not a good way to prevent disease, much less make your government look good.

Although when the notion of animal rights so terrifies the Party, because it might give it's citizens the idea that they too might actually be deserving of basic rights....

I assume there's some weird indoctrination way of explaining to your daughter that her guinea pig must die so that the party can claim it gives a rats rear end about keeping this disease away.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 19, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"well what is authoritarian really" is, I suspect, a much easier argument to make if you don't actually live under that manner of rule.

But let's state the obvious and point out that no one will come to my house and warn me if I compare someone in power in the US to Winnie the Pooh.

Or if, you know, I posted online about the whole Actually Currently Commiting Genocide thing.

just because nobody cares about what you think or post, doesnt mean you wont commit suicide by firing three bullets to the back of your own head if you ever try to organize against the numerous genocides that the US is currently, actively committing. the US is not a good example of a non-authoritarian system of government, as it is infact, brutally and murderously authoritarian

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Or pointing out that WE MUST GRIND ALL THE HAMSTERS TO DUST is not a good way to prevent disease, much less make your government look good.

Although when the notion of animal rights so terrifies the Party, because it might give it's citizens the idea that they too might actually be deserving of basic rights....

I assume there's some weird indoctrination way of explaining to your daughter that her guinea pig must die so that the party can claim it gives a rats rear end about keeping this disease away.

Denmark slaughtered its entire mink stock a year ago, does that make denmark authoritarian?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

just because nobody cares about what you think or post, doesnt mean you wont commit suicide by firing three bullets to the back of your own head if you ever try to organize against the numerous genocides that the US is currently, actively committing. the US is not a good example of a non-authoritarian system of government, as it is infact, brutally and murderously authoritarian

"Organize" in the context that you're probably referring to is something that any government tends to frown upon, yes.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

Denmark slaughtered its entire mink stock a year ago, does that make denmark authoritarian?

Are minks housepets

Did anyone break into the house of a quarantined mink owner and beat her mink to death.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
so you got nothing to add except hampster rights

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean lets just pick three incredibly low bars indicating whether your government cares about popular consent or not: freedom of association, freedom of expression, competitive elections.

China is very obviously in a very different category to any Western Liberal Democracy on any of those.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alchenar posted:

I mean lets just pick three incredibly low bars indicating whether your government cares about popular consent or not: freedom of association, freedom of expression, competitive elections.

China is very obviously in a very different category to any Western Liberal Democracy on any of those.

and why would we pick those bars?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

Because that's how political science tends to define authoritarianism?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lollontee posted:

Yes I know you don't want to fight on that ground or indeed any ground in your desperate attempt to convince us all that words don't mean anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
as we can see by the general distrust of the western people towards all of those conditions, none of those bars guarantee any kind of "popular concent", as they can be managed and manipulated. liberal democracy does not guarantee you anything, except the right to starve

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alchenar posted:

Yes I know you don't want to fight on that ground or indeed any ground in your desperate attempt to convince us all that words don't mean anything.

no no, im just trying to point out to everyone that supposed freedoms that we supposedly enjoy in the west are all conditional and managed. and that bringing up lib concepts from 200 years is a poo poo argument

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

as we can see by the general distrust of the western people towards all of those conditions, none of those bars guarantee any kind of "popular concent", as they can be managed and manipulated. liberal democracy does not guarantee you anything, except the right to starve

Which is endlessly entertaining given you're defending a system responsible for possibly the single worst man made famine in all of human history.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This is an interesting point to me, because we do know that Western governments are actually very happy to operate secret police forces and spy on and murder political dissidents in their own countries. Obviously you have the many and varied activities of the FBI, and from my own country (the UK) the police actively monitor all sorts of left wing and environmental groups and there's a big scandal about undercover officers basically raping activists by engaging in extremely deceptive relationships with them. This is of course not to mention the activities of the British security state in Northern Ireland, where they orchestrated all sorts of killings and carried out internment etc.

This is also not to mention the extensive digital surveillance they are engaged in (it always makes me laugh when there's a story about THE CCP SPYING ON YOU THROUGH TIKTOK or whatever when GCHQ or the NSA is probably cataloguing every single electronic communication I make), and, of course, the use of very "authoritarian" techniques by the CIA, the US government and its proxies overseas in order to sustain the system of global capitalism. Like, I think to an extent you have to take account of the whole system, so while it's true that you probably won't get murdered/imprisoned by the state for protesting in Washington, that's not true in a lot of places run by people put in power and continuously supported by the world's greatest liberal democracy.

quote:

I guess that story is weird, and almost certainly an overreaction. I would probably explain to my child that there's a global pandemic on and unfortunately pets might have the disease. It's an awkward conversation I'm sure, but let's face it if you didn't want to have an awkward conversation about death with your child then probably buy them a tortoise rather than a rodent, I'd say.

Also, I appreciate the pun but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue the CPC don't genuinely care about containing coronavirus, particularly when people can't stop complaining about them trying to contain the coronavirus.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

lollontee posted:

no no, im just trying to point out to everyone that supposed freedoms that we supposedly enjoy in the west are all conditional and managed. and that bringing up lib concepts from 200 years is a poo poo argument

Yes, because the people behind these governments didn't fall off of a turnip truck. Of course there isn't absolutely unrestricted freedom of speech, that's an idiotic line of argument.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

XMNN posted:

This is an interesting point to me, because we do know that Western governments are actually very happy to operate secret police forces and spy on and murder political dissidents in their own countries. Obviously you have the many and varied activities of the FBI, and from my own country (the UK) the police actively monitor all sorts of left wing and environmental groups and there's a big scandal about undercover officers basically raping activists by engaging in extremely deceptive relationships with them. This is of course not to mention the activities of the British security state in Northern Ireland, where they orchestrated all sorts of killings and carried out internment etc.

This is also not to mention the extensive digital surveillance they are engaged in (it always makes me laugh when there's a story about THE CCP SPYING ON YOU THROUGH TIKTOK or whatever when GCHQ or the NSA is probably cataloguing every single electronic communication I make), and, of course, the use of very "authoritarian" techniques by the CIA, the US government and its proxies overseas in order to sustain the system of global capitalism. Like, I think to an extent you have to take account of the whole system, so while it's true that you probably won't get murdered/imprisoned by the state for protesting in Washington, that's not true in a lot of places run by people put in power and continuously supported by the world's greatest liberal democracy.

Bolded the portion here that literally no one in these positions actually thinks about.

You're also not recognizing that the ability to even say this undermines your whole point.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

lollontee posted:

I’m confused on what your overall point is. Are you saying that authoritarianism [to the point of China] isn’t inherently bad? Or that the US is no less of an authoritarian state than China? Or some other point?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't think it does, but perhaps I didn't convey it clearly enough.

I was essentially trying to say that liberal democracies are perfectly happy to use methods one could easily describe as authoritarian (secret police spying on activists, spying on every citizen, murdering people) even in the imperial core, and they are prepared to commit much worse atrocities elsewhere in the world.

Is it only authoritarian to massacre protestors in your own country, but actually fine to install and support a dictator somewhere else that massacres protestors there?

I guess you can break this down into authoritarian areas and less authoritarian areas, but if they're all part of the same system (US global hegemony) I don't see why we have to exclude certain regions from our analysis as a whole. If we look at the actions of countries we are presumably happy to call liberal democracies (e.g. USA, France, UK) we can see that they often have very little respect for human rights when people aren't looking, so it seems weird to presume caring about human rights is somehow a key component of this ideology.

Like, I'm not saying that authoritarianism doesn't exist, I just think it's weird that we don't consider the very shady activities of the security services or the whole system of global capitalism when we start thinking about whether the US system is authoritarian or not.

e: Idk I guess there's just something about looking at a country like the UK and saying, OK we are an integral part of an economic system we are largely responsible for creating that has impoverished billions of people around the world, we were perfectly happy to torture, imprison, murder anyone who stood in our way, we are to this day backing regimes like Saudi Arabia to commit genocide and imprison activists, but because we let you say that we're bad for doing those things we're actually good and respectful of human rights

XMNN fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 19, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

XMNN posted:

I was essentially trying to say that liberal democracies are perfectly happy to use methods one could easily describe as authoritarian (secret police spying on activists, spying on every citizen, murdering people) even in the imperial core, and they are prepared to commit much worse atrocities elsewhere in the world.

Is it only authoritarian to massacre protestors in your own country, but actually fine to install and support a dictator somewhere else that massacres protestors there?

I guess you can break this down into authoritarian areas and less authoritarian areas, but if they're all part of the same system (US global hegemony) I don't see why we have to exclude certain regions from our analysis as a whole. If we look at the actions of countries we are presumably happy to call liberal democracies (e.g. USA, France, UK) we can see that they often have very little respect for human rights when people aren't looking, so it seems weird to presume caring about human rights is somehow a key component of this ideology.

Like, I'm not saying that authoritarianism doesn't exist, I just think it's weird that we don't consider the very shady activities of the security services or the whole system of global capitalism when we start thinking about whether the US system is authoritarian or not.

exactly, western liberal democracies are just better at doing authoritarianism surreptitiously, and controlling the "freedom of expression" of the people by ensuring that the majority news the people receive are from government-approved sources like the CNN and other corporate sources intensily tied with the interests of the Empire. westerners simply like to pretend we have more freedoms than those poor, subjugated masses of the east. we do not.

"authoritarianism" as a thing that China is living under, but the west supposedly isnt, does not exist. it is infact, simple arrogance

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

XMNN posted:

e: Idk I guess there's just something about looking at a country like the UK and saying, OK we are an integral part of an economic system we are largely responsible for creating that has impoverished billions of people around the world, we were perfectly happy to torture, imprison, murder anyone who stood in our way, we are to this day backing regimes like Saudi Arabia to commit genocide and imprison activists, but because we let you say that we're bad for doing those things we're actually good and respectful of human rights

It sounds like you’re describing imperialism, not authoritarianism? Which is probably why you don’t hear the US described as authoritarian based on the global actions you’re describing. Unless I’m misunderstanding you.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 19, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kalit posted:

It sounds like you’re describing imperialism, not authoritarianism? Unless I’m misunderstanding you.

ah yes, the opposite of authoritarian imperialism, liberal imperialism

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

But you're just cherry picking bad things China does that the US doesn't. I could just as easily point out that:

• There are far less extrajudicial killings by the police in China
  • The incarceration rate in China is far lower than the US. Thus, in general, I'm less likely to be thrown into prison in China than in the US
  • The US has performed multiple aggressive invasions of sovereign countries in recent history, whereas the last aggressive invasion by China was 40 years ago
  • Since you've brought up animal rights, I feel obliged to bring up the state of factory farms in the United States. It's not exactly a bastion of animal rights here either.

So therefore the US is more authoritarian than China?

Also I do find it funny how you specifically selected being able to TALK about the genocide being committed by a certain country. As if the genocide itself isn't authoritarian as long as citizens of the imperial core are allowed to fecklessly whine about it in public.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

lollontee posted:

exactly, western liberal democracies are just better at doing authoritarianism surreptitiously, and controlling the "freedom of expression" of the people by ensuring that the majority news the people receive are from government-approved sources like the CNN and other corporate sources intensily tied with the interests of the Empire. westerners simply like to pretend we have more freedoms than those poor, subjugated masses of the east. we do not.

"authoritarianism" as a thing that China is living under, but the west supposedly isnt, does not exist. it is infact, simple arrogance

This is absolute propaganda and only works if you reduce everything to the point words have no meaning and everyone who disagrees with you is an amorphous evil entity working in concert. If I buy your house it's not the same thing as killing you and taking your house just because you can reduce it to the same end-state. No matter how much you try to hem and haw about material conditions making money necessary.

Media is heavily influenced by government and corporate interests, some of which is direct influence and some is indirect, but influence is not the same thing as control. That completely ignores the many many different competing interests and limitations on that influence; do you think the US government was super-keen on all the Afghanistan withdrawal coverage? Having to put in the work to influence your population to consent massively changes the scope and speed in which the government can exert direct control over people's lives, does not always work, and requires you to compete against other people with power and divergent interests. When the power is concentrated in the hands of a few (like, an actual few, not tens of millions of people that you're lumping as a class) those actions and scope are virtually unchecked. The existence of power in any form at any concentration is not casually interchangeable with authoritarianism.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Also there's an argument to be made that terms like "authoritarianism" and "totalitarianism" simply served to replace the older and more overtly racist "oriental despotism"

https://twitter.com/catcontentonly/status/1473727785034301448

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jarmak posted:

This is absolute propaganda and only works if you reduce everything to the point words have no meaning and everyone who disagrees with you is an amorphous evil entity working in concert. If I buy your house it's not the same thing as killing you and taking your house just because you can reduce it to the same end-state. No matter how much you try to hem and haw about material conditions making money necessary.

Media is heavily influenced by government and corporate interests, some of which is direct influence and some is indirect, but influence is not the same thing as control. That completely ignores the many many different competing interests and limitations on that influence; do you think the US government was super-keen on all the Afghanistan withdrawal coverage? Having to put in the work to influence your population to consent massively changes the scope and speed in which the government can exert direct control over people's lives, does not always work, and requires you to compete against other people with power and divergent interests. When the power is concentrated in the hands of a few (like, an actual few, not tens of millions of people that you're lumping as a class) those actions and scope are virtually unchecked. The existence of power in any form at any concentration is not casually interchangeable with authoritarianism.

just because capitalists sometimes fight amonst themselves doesnt mean they do not rule your world. also, what tens of millions of people are you talking about? western media is not owned by millions of people, it is owned by a few dozen. and their actions are unchecked, our rulers are indeed above the laws we have to follow

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Which is endlessly entertaining given you're defending a system responsible for possibly the single worst man made famine in all of human history.
Famines are not solely a socialist phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Something like 9 million people perish from starvation every year under the current global system of neoliberal capitalism. Thats the equivalent of the Chinese Great Famine ever 3-4 years, so I’m not sure thats the best line of argumentation for you to pursue

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

If you're posting on this comedy forum and poo poo on your government you are probably not living under an explicitly authoritarian regime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you're posting on this comedy forum and poo poo on your government you are probably not living under an explicitly authoritarian regime.

why would any authoritarian government give a poo poo about what you post here? youre their supporter, not their enemy