Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Prole posted:

Going by his voting record he's pretty much full-fat Tory scum tbh...

Keep up, being a right wing psycho who want's to kill refugees is the middle ground now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol thats the most common way we kick out pm's, the last PM we had who got voted out was Gordon Brown

oh for sure, but it still tends to be every few years

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the preferred pronunciation in Bury St Edmunds counts a lot more in the media than whatever people say or don't say in Greater Manchester.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can the Bury constituency Labour Party deselect this new guy? I'm guessing no because Corbyn never did much to reform things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scikar posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that the preferred pronunciation in Bury St Edmunds counts a lot more in the media than whatever people say or don't say in Greater Manchester.

I have been also pronouncing bury st edmunds like the place in manchester.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I like to pronounce it "Barry"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We will bury st edmunds

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I thought it was pronounced "grim-up-north"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/reasons-bury-worst-pictures-18603796-18603796

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I know.
They always pronounce it "Lun-Done. Dear-Ee."

So strange.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bad news prison abolitionists.

https://twitter.com/PREVENTwatchUK/status/1483777446260449280

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Return to Tradition. No not like that!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prole posted:

Going by his voting record he's pretty much full-fat Tory scum tbh...

Like they said, "centrist".

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I call it Londonbury

(pronounced "lumbree")

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a copy of Mein Kampf must be in want of a wife, girlfriend, significant other, or any form of sexual contact.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
e: ^^ :golfclap:

I'm not sure what good putting him in a big enclosure with a bunch of other fascists is going to do either, considering he will one day be someone's neighbour again.

Unless there's going to be some kind of root cause analysis of what causes this (and other extremism) then it's all just useless papering. And there won't be as long as the root causes are of advantage to capital.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1483768707742588932

Two tweets, sent one after the other, with no connection.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Like they said, "centrist".

Ha, touché!

Still SCG chair Landlloryd Russell-Moyle is welcoming him, and reserving judgement on his voting record, so who's today say if having Tories think your party is where they should be is good or not?

Today is good for watching both parties climb over themselves to try to make sense of their own beliefs, and then make those beliefs make sense to others.

Michael Walker has poo poo his trousers so many times this morning on Twitter that he's now decided to just wear a paper gown for the rest of the day.

Bury South youth officer is demanding a by-election. The CLP is apparently not at all happy with the imposition of an actual Tory.

I can feel the warmth from the binfire that is British Politics from here.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1483768707742588932

Two tweets, sent one after the other, with no connection.

Wakeford is a co-chair of the APPG on British Jews.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Just Another Lurker posted:

Better a known quantity than getting Priti Patel after they assassinate each other.

Currently got a fiver on Priti to be next leader of the conservative party. Hopefully someone can suggest a good refugee charity to donate the £250 to if it happens.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

RockyB posted:

Currently got a fiver on Priti to be next leader of the conservative party. Hopefully someone can suggest a good refugee charity to donate the £250 to if it happens.

care4calais, surely.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's also the Refugee Council https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So was the buzz yesterday about the 54 letters being sent just not true?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I pronounce the suffix very differently from the word. :shrug:

It's Berry, though.

Burreh surely? Now Faugh...I had an American ask how to get to Faux, and just didn't understand, until he wrote it down. Pronounced faff.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

EvilHawk posted:

FWIW now would be a great time for a by-election for a defector. There's a public opposition to the government, he's jumped a sinking ship, and he gets to say "well I represented you previously but I can't stand behind Boris any more" in what should be a Labour gain seat.

If anything Labour should be pushing for one to show they can beat the Tories again.

Maybe but the Labour party is close to bankruptcy and can't afford to be fighting by-elections.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Glad he’s found where he belongs

https://twitter.com/epiplexis_/status/1483813415173124097?s=21

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

It's 53 now.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

stev posted:

They’ve bottled it, it seems. On the radio it’s being reported that some are withdrawing their letters.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:pathetic:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it going to be 8 seasons of boring political maouvering between the kingdoms of men, culminating in the big battle where Isildur cuts off Sauron's finger. Or does the license from the Tolkien estate restrict them from showing that?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Unless I am mistaken I don't think it is at all up to starmer whether or not there would be a byelection, it is entirely up to the sitting MP unless he is subject to recall for doing actual crimes.

Starmer could deny him the whip, though, I suppose. Which would be quite comedy given he's had it for all of about 2 minutes.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

UK anti-encryption campaign website lol https://noplacetohide.org.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3D8670smTI

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Yeah totally inexplicable David.

https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1483776856134410242

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well tbf people in this thread have been saying this all year

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They all act like such hard men on WhatsApp and in their very stern public pronouncements about everything, but they are fundamentally all just ageing nerds who have never had to square up to anything in their lives and are just :flaccid: personified.

Except for Davis cause he's a hard SAS man who will take you out with extreme prejudice, kiddo

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

It's Berry, though.
I'm imagining some londoners seeing it's oop north, assuming a weird pronunciation and going for 'byoorie.'

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah heavy Jay from the Inbetweeners vibes from all them cunts

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm imagining some londoners seeing it's oop north, assuming a weird pronunciation and going for 'byoorie.'

Bougie?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BYOB

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

pronounced "be-yewb" :mamacita:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bully Your Own Backbenchers?