Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lakitu7 posted:

I have one of those giant "sensation" peace lilies from home depot too. I paid like $35. The problem is I've never seen them in the store again, just smaller ones at proper nurseries for 4x the price, so I stopped recommending them to friends because they're disappointed when they can't find them. It'll survive on lower light but probably not flower much after the first couple months unless you give it better light, so a lot like a common Anthurium that way. Even without flowers the huge leaves are beautiful though. Also don't buy a standard variety peace lily and expect it to get that big; it's the specific "sensation" kind.

aw gently caress I don’t wanna pay $70 for a ding dang peace lily, just get a $20 strelitzia and wait two years

there are philos and colocasia/alocasia and hell even m deliciosa too if you’re gonna get the big version of a basic bitch-rear end plant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hollismason posted:

How much water should I put in my ponytail palm I was going to water it tomorrow. Its like a foot and half tall. I'm unsure how much water to use in this thing. I don't want to over water it.

If it's in a pot that has no drainage then you water it to the point that it is soaked but minimal amounts of water leak out if you carefully tip it over (if that makes sense?). The idea is you want to soak the soil without it sitting in soil broth. When things get too soupy then bacteria take hold and infect the roots and the plant rots. Saturate the soil and carefully let excess water out if you must.

If it's in a pot that drains then simply saturate the soil and allow it to drain and do not water again until the soil has dried out.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If it's in a pot that has no drainage then you water it to the point that it is soaked but minimal amounts of water leak out if you carefully tip it over (if that makes sense?). The idea is you want to soak the soil without it sitting in soil broth. When things get too soupy then bacteria take hold and infect the roots and the plant rots. Saturate the soil and carefully let excess water out if you must.

If it's in a pot that drains then simply saturate the soil and allow it to drain and do not water again until the soil has dried out.

Okay yeah its in a non draining pot , I guess I'll get it so that the soil isn't a water soup.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Okay yeah its in a non draining pot , I guess I'll get it so that the soil isn't a water soup.

Get a pot that drains please :( If it's in anything but clay and you saturation water it like that it's going to stay wet for weeks and weeks in a decent sized pot.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wallet posted:

Get a pot that drains please :( If it's in anything but clay and you saturation water it like that it's going to stay wet for weeks and weeks in a decent sized pot.

I mean hopefully it's not huge and it's in proper, well-draining dirt (draining excess water that can be poured out) 😬

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Draining pot with holes + gritty mix or similar for best results

Ponytail palms aren’t super picky so the $4 Miracle Gro cactus+palm+citrus mix they sell everywhere should be fine if you’re hella lazy/unsure

If you like a pot/bowl/etc but there’s no drainage- it’s fairly easy to make holes using the appropriate tool + bit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of my pots is on a surface where I can't get any water on it, the one with the rocks. it's a snake plant so it just keeps on living, three years later, but do those strainers that go in the pot work at all? they just sit at the bottom and have really tiny holes. Otherwise I might get a pot where it has a saucer but it's very subtle

now that i think about it, the drainage plug ones seem fine - I'm only watering it once a month, so I would just put it in the sink, remove the plug, water, then replace the plug once it fully drains.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 7, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Heck yeah, just ordered a bunch of dahlia tubers! I've grown a bunch of random ones from seed before, so it will be a nice change to put tubers in the ground and hopefully get those massive dinnerplate blooms. I can list the cultivars if anyone is curious.

I also had a question I'm reposting from the gardening thread:

Solkanar512 posted:

Hey, has anyone here ever used those soil block makers (soil blockers) before? I have a few questions.

1. Do you really need the micro (3/4") and the mini (2") together? It seems like extra work if you're just going to put the little block inside the medium sized block when you could just put the seeds into the medium sized block to begin with. I have a hotbed, so my germination rates are really, really high.
2. Do the offbrand ones work well, or do you need to get a Ladbrooke to ensure you have a tool that will last? I'm never sure if you're paying for a name or actual quality.
3. Do you water the blocks form the top or the bottom?
4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

check out these planters

https://monstruosus.com/

https://serralunga.com/collections/contract-garden-pots

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Is this an intentional joke website or is this real? I actually can't tell. They're generic ceramic pots for literally 10x the normal price (and they don't even have saucers ffs).

People buying massively overpriced minimalistic ceramic pots they could get on Amazon for $20 dollars is nothing new, but the product descriptions are like, way over the line of parody. This is their description of a loving cylindrical pot. It's literally just a cylinder, except they've made it slightly shorter than it should be to make your plants not like you.

monstruosus posted:

as a geometric form, the cylinder comprises an infinite curvilinear surface that has established a timeless allure; from the columns of the athenian acropolis to a soup can in your local grocery store. it is tested and true! ceramic cylinder planter pot. additionally, he reads. also, he enjoys cylinder modern planters. our handcrafted model one ceramic clay planter exudes a similar greatness that makes it a stately addition to home or office; indoor and outdoor. we strive to achieve a placid, uninterrupted surface that compels the eye to follow its perimeter. moreover, our professional casters meticulously sponge and sculpt the model one before firing it in the kiln. we bring a bit of poetry to the objective science of geometry.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 9, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Is this an intentional joke website or is this real? I actually can't tell. They're generic ceramic pots for literally 10x the normal price (and they don't even have saucers ffs).

People buying massively overpriced minimalistic ceramic pots they could get on Amazon for $20 dollars is nothing new, but the product descriptions are like, way over the line of parody. This is their description of a loving cylindrical pot. It's literally just a cylinder.

I think you underestimate the power of people impulse buying off things they see posted on instagram.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jhet posted:

I think you underestimate the power of people impulse buying off things they see posted on instagram.

It's $175 for a 10" ceramic white cylinder.

They don't have drainage holes and they tell you to definitely not put any pumice or grit in them because it can damage the glaze.

gently caress me. I'm in the wrong business.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 9, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

They don't have drainage holes and they tell you to definitely not put any pumice or grit in them because it can damage the glaze.

Oh, I'm with you on this. It's entirely ridiculous, but people will still buy them because they have a flashy website. People are dumb, but you're not in the wrong business. This is akin to snake oil salesmen and people who try to sell you 'special' bricks (that are just bricks). It's not ethical behavior and you should be offended by it. The product doesn't do the basic things it should be doing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Goon Project!

Let’s find a bunch of trash cans on Alibaba and then flip them as functional NFTs!

Zybourne Clock Potting Company

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Solkanar512 posted:

Heck yeah, just ordered a bunch of dahlia tubers! I've grown a bunch of random ones from seed before, so it will be a nice change to put tubers in the ground and hopefully get those massive dinnerplate blooms. I can list the cultivars if anyone is curious.

I also had a question I'm reposting from the gardening thread:

Ugh love those so much. I live in zone 6 so none for me because a) I can’t see myself digging them up in the fall and b) I don’t have the heart to let them die if I don’t dig them up

Would love to see your update when they eventually bloom!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jhet posted:

Oh, I'm with you on this. It's entirely ridiculous, but people will still buy them because they have a flashy website. People are dumb, but you're not in the wrong business. This is akin to snake oil salesmen and people who try to sell you 'special' bricks (that are just bricks). It's not ethical behavior and you should be offended by it. The product doesn't do the basic things it should be doing.

I have a completely different perspective on this stuff, the planters they sell, at least some of them, are planters that I would actually want to look at (which to me has a lot of value, but to many people does not). If you can point out something similar that is as cheap as you mentioned, I'd definitely be interested! I'd also be interested in the conditions under which that cheap item was made, as well if it was made by some giant conglomerate instead of a small company. I agree it should have a drainage hole, but most modern planters will have a hole with a drainage plug because saucers don't look particularly attractive.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Do y’all give bare root trees a soak in rooting compound+water before planting?

Also, 2 .5gph drippers or one 1gph dripper per tree?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I have a completely different perspective on this stuff, the planters they sell, at least some of them, are planters that I would actually want to look at (which to me has a lot of value, but to many people does not). If you can point out something similar that is as cheap as you mentioned, I'd definitely be interested! I'd also be interested in the conditions under which that cheap item was made, as well if it was made by some giant conglomerate instead of a small company. I agree it should have a drainage hole, but most modern planters will have a hole with a drainage plug because saucers don't look particularly attractive.

I would recommend finding a local artisan potter then, because those are still manufactured at volume and will still be less useful and more expensive than the stuff I can buy from the artist in my neighborhood. And when I spend $300 with her, I know she’s keeping most of it for the time she’s spent. There will also be a hole in the bottom, and I don’t have to worry about the glaze. If you’re concerned about ethical consumption, that’s absolutely the way to go.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jhet posted:

I would recommend finding a local artisan potter then, because those are still manufactured at volume and will still be less useful and more expensive than the stuff I can buy from the artist in my neighborhood. And when I spend $300 with her, I know she’s keeping most of it for the time she’s spent. There will also be a hole in the bottom, and I don’t have to worry about the glaze. If you’re concerned about ethical consumption, that’s absolutely the way to go.

so I agree the specific pot not having a hole is absurd, but I just hate the whole "you can get it really cheap on amazon." gently caress amazon, of course it's the cheapest, it's loving amazon, and why do you think the pot they are selling is so cheap?

there is actually a clay place very close to me, i only saw one plant pot, it's pretty small (6x6x6) and was $80, to give perspective. but most stuff I've seen is decorative, and I hate decoration (modernism is basically opposition to ornamentation)

this one is 135 ("small" size), and is from this company https://fermliving.us/pages/about-ferm-living

https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-planters-pots/hourglass-planter/2517637.html?lang=en_US

it's a decent size and right for what I need, (12" diam, 17" high), and it's interesting to look at. and yes it has a hole and plug :p

on the other hand, you can pay a lot more than that

https://www.dwr.com/outdoor-planters-pots/constant/pieces?lang=en_US - here part of the price is the subjective value to you of the planter as an art piece

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

actionjackson posted:

there are way nicer pots out there for way less money dude

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

there are way nicer pots out there for way less money dude

I already said, if you can give me some links I'd be happy to take a look! I asked a few nurseries around here but they don't have any that are even big enough, at least not currently. maybe Lechuza?

here's a 12" from a local place, but also pricy and no drainage hole? it says it's sized to fit a plastic grow pot, is that why there is no hole?

https://tonkadale.com/12-ceramic-cylinder-pot-in-black/

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 9, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I already said, if you can give me some links I'd be happy to take a look! I asked a few nurseries around here but they don't have any that are even big enough, at least not currently. maybe Lechuza?

Try Etsy, you'll find a million white ceramic pots for a lot less money, many of which have holes for drainage. I'm all for supporting artists above massive conglomerates, but this ain't that. Also, have you ever tried to move a 12" ceramic pot full of wet soil to pull the plug and drain the water out of it? That's ~4 gallons of soil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you live in a city with areas that are gentrified or gentrifying, check nurseries there for big glazed pots.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm talking with someone at a nursery, they are going to send me a pic of a 10" bamboo palm in a 10" and a 12" cylinder. no hole, they said because people tend to keep it in the plastic inside and pull it out due to how heavy the cylinder is. but the cylinders are 99 and 149, I asked and they said that once you get to 10"+ the prices go up a lot because there are less manufacturers, and the ones they get come from some company in Italy

pic, looks like the 12" is good

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 9, 2022

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You can drill a hole in just about anything.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Wallet posted:

Try Etsy, you'll find a million white ceramic pots for a lot less money, many of which have holes for drainage. I'm all for supporting artists above massive conglomerates, but this ain't that. Also, have you ever tried to move a 12" ceramic pot full of wet soil to pull the plug and drain the water out of it? That's ~4 gallons of soil.

Let me tell you about my 24” ceramic coffee tree, and how I had to lift it into a minivan to move cross country. Even timing it so the soil was dry, it’s very heavy and awkward. I can’t imagine moving it when wet.

We’ve gotten some awesome planters from craft shows too. Some big, some small. Some with stands even. Takes some effort, but it’s worth it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'm talking with someone at a nursery, they are going to send me a pic of a 10" bamboo palm in a 10" and a 12" cylinder. no hole, they said because people tend to keep it in the plastic inside and pull it out due to how heavy the cylinder is. but the cylinders are 99 and 149, I asked and they said that once you get to 10"+ the prices go up a lot because there are less manufacturers, and the ones they get come from some company in Italy

12" is usually where the price goes way up. 149 for a 12" locally is fine, if a little on the high side.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

12" is usually where the price goes way up. 149 for a 12" locally is fine, if a little on the high side.

so the one that people mocked was 175 for 11.25", but it wasn't 10" as someone said! but still high yeah

I do have an entry that only has artificial light - am I going to be relegated to a fake plant for this area? or I suppose a real plant but it would require a grow light

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

so the one that people mocked was 175 for 11.25", but it wasn't 10" as someone said! but still high yeah

Their pots are actually undersized. In general a 10" pot is also 10" tall, theirs are not. Also direct from the producer, so you aren't paying for a local store to bring it in and sell it and still be able to operate. The last 12" pot I bought (black, ceramic) was ~75$ or around there.

actionjackson posted:

I do have an entry that only has artificial light - am I going to be relegated to a fake plant for this area? or I suppose a real plant but it would require a grow light

The GE grow bulbs can go in regular rear end fixtures as long as the fixture is large enough. If there's no natural light you would probably want to supplement it if you want a plant to grow there though, yes.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 10, 2022

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Make your own ceramic pot at a local place for cheaper

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

Their pots are actually undersized. In general a 10" pot is also 10" tall, theirs are not. Also direct from the producer, so you aren't paying for a local store to bring it in and sell it and still be able to operate. The last 12" pot I bought (black, ceramic) was ~75$ or around there.

I'm confused, they don't have any 10" pots, the smallest is 11.25" diam. where did you get that 12" pot for $75?

LibCrusher posted:

Make your own ceramic pot at a local place for cheaper

based on my pottery creation I did in middle school, this is an absolutely horrible idea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone can make a coil pot.

Firing it may cost a pretty penny, though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I'm confused, they don't have any 10" pots, the smallest is 11.25" diam. where did you get that 12" pot for $75?

They have a 10" tall by 11.25" diameter pot for 175.

Peach and Pebble.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wallet posted:

They have a 10" tall by 11.25" diameter pot for 175.

Peach and Pebble.

oh I thought the inches you were using always referred to the diameter :confused:

anyway thanks for the reference! I'll get one from there. If I'm going to get a 3-3.5' tall bamboo palm that comes in a 10" pot, I should actually buy a 12" cylinder correct?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

actionjackson posted:

oh I thought the inches you were using always referred to the diameter :confused:

It usually does but a standard pot has the same height as its diameter, so their pot is somewhere in between.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Those pot prices are nuts... at my local nursery (which is admittedly awesome) I've bought monster 2 foot tall and like 18" wide at the top nice glazed pots for 60 bucks. gently caress that 175 poo poo...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My local nursery pays ME to take the coolest pots you ever did see. Can't believe you rubes pay money for pots.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went ahead and ordered the 3-3.5' tall bamboo palm which comes in a 10" pot. I'm thinking get a 12" for this one, and then a 10" for my snake plant (the one that has no drainage, just rocks)?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

I have one of those giant "sensation" peace lilies from home depot too. I paid like $35. The problem is I've never seen them in the store again, just smaller ones at proper nurseries for 4x the price, so I stopped recommending them to friends because they're disappointed when they can't find them. It'll survive on lower light but probably not flower much after the first couple months unless you give it better light, so a lot like a common Anthurium that way. Even without flowers the huge leaves are beautiful though. Also don't buy a standard variety peace lily and expect it to get that big; it's the specific "sensation" kind.

I go to lowes once a week to the clearance flower section and got a small one and a big one $5 each hang on ill take a pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Nice! Yeah, I still like my Sensation peace lily. Sure they're common houseplants but the leaves on the giant ones are almost like a poor man's king anthurium and everyone who comes in my house doesn't have enough plants to be a plant snob. I didn't know Lowes carried them too; mine is on the other side of town so I rarely get down there vs. Home Depot is close. That window should be more than enough light for it.