Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
They have some insulated blundstones but I don't think it's necessary.

I like them because they look good, they're extremely easy to put on and off, and they are extremely comfortable.

Yeah you could get a hiker like salomens if you really need the performance but they look like poo poo. I wear them at work but I wouldn't wear them for just mundane daily tasks, it's overkill. I don't even buy the insulated winter ones because they get too hot when you're moving around. If you have a waterproof, even goretex boot your feet are going to sweat and it keeps them warm.

For the vast majority of people just wear some good thick socks and your feet are going to be warm no matter what you wear, especially if you are doing something physical like shoveling. Unless you are standing around for hours without physically moving outside you don't really need an insulated boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

blundstones are rainy day boots. which makes them appropriate approximately 250 days of the year on the west coast

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
I don't think there's a single person in the downtown core of Toronto that doesn't almost exclusively wear blundstones - therefore by rule of cool alone they're a must.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

RBC posted:

For the vast majority of people just wear some good thick socks and your feet are going to be warm no matter what you wear, especially if you are doing something physical like shoveling. Unless you are standing around for hours without physically moving outside you don't really need an insulated boot.
That is pretty optimistic considering the brutal cold snaps that have been happening all over the place. My feet will be loving freezing in the time it takes to brush the snow of my car even in boots. Those frostbite in minutes warnings aren't kidding.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Count Roland posted:

These are exactly the kids that shouldn't simply advance through the school system with age, they need different programs.

My point is that age is currently almost the only variable that indicates how you receive education and I'm saying maybe other things should be considered, too.

I'm sure that you would meet certain educational goals this way but I can guarantee that kids would hate school even more if they had to go through the poor kids track

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Solenna posted:

That is pretty optimistic considering the brutal cold snaps that have been happening all over the place. My feet will be loving freezing in the time it takes to brush the snow of my car even in boots. Those frostbite in minutes warnings aren't kidding.

wear better socks

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I got my insulated Columbia boots for like $20 more than a pair of Chuck Taylors, why would you not simply by a good boot that will keep your feet warm and dry? This is legitimately the dumbest argument this thread has had in a while, and that's saying something.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

EvilJoven posted:

The blundstone is also the official boot of Winnipeg hipsters and menno kids from CMU.

I thought I was being mean by calling blundstones the cowboy hat for hipsters. I don't anymore.

RBC posted:

wear better socks

You did say the vast majority, but I've definitely wore these during a -40 windchill march through the snow in Winnipeg to make sure I had feet by the end of it.

I think we can all agree that you should wear proper footwear no matter where you live or what you're doing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ugh, entitled millennials. Just buy the boots with the longest straps.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dad boots

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Everyone and their dog wears blundstones. If they weren’t so drat practical waxed up for west coast weather, I’d have stopped wearing them as soon as the yuppies in my neighborhood started wearing them.

drat you, practical shoe becoming popular due to practicality :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm with ARACHTION on this one. Everyone at my work wears them due to the ease of putting them on and off. We need steel toes part of the time, but not in the office. West coast location though. I wouldn't wear them in the snow.

Regarding the cowboy hat analogy, the presence or absence of blundstones doesn't really tell at a glance how likely someone is to call me a f*g and throw a punch. The hat can sometimes be a good warning sign.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 19, 2022

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
Have a look at Acton Canada

It's mostly work-centric stuff and probably overkill, though.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Ottawa here. I wear Amimoc Martino winter boots.
They are probably overkill for west coasters.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
boots are for chumps, i'm this guy

https://www.thestar.com/life/2013/11/06/why_some_canadians_run_barefoot_in_the_snow.html

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm a west coaster and I got Timberlands this year and my wife made fun of me. That's my Canada boot story.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I haven't owned winter boots in decades and I get by just fine.

My wife convinced me to buy a pair 3? years ago and I wore them once, then lent them to a friend's kid for a construction job and never got them back or got them back and accidentally gave them to goodwill I'm not sure which.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/jlt_25/status/1483247557253812225

What the hell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drugs are normal but the vaccine is that untested stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What do you want to bet that those people are just terrified of needles and unwilling to deal with that?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
"Uhh, actually COVID sucks, and I regret listening to an echo chamber of cousin-fuckers instead of expert testimony".

Forgive me if I think it's the battle-cry of those who don't trust medical science until they're desperate and whimpering for it to save them.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Arivia posted:

Drugs are normal but the vaccine is that untested stuff.

Whats funny is that Paxlovid (sp?) is really not properly tested yet but the vaccines are in billions of arms.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

What do you want to bet that those people are just terrified of needles and unwilling to deal with that?

I hate needles with a passion. That's why God invented smart phones to distract people while they get poked for a split second.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
We should develop a smokable or snortable format, as a more familiar delivery method.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A new vaccine that must be delivered anally via a large dosing tube.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
The US Supreme Court has ruled that boofing is constitutionally protected as a method of immunization.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Madkal posted:

I hate needles with a passion. That's why God invented smart phones to distract people while they get poked for a split second.

As someone who just went through 8 months of weekly allergy shots, now monthly for 4 years, I am immune to needle discomfort.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hamelekim posted:

As someone who just went through 8 months of weekly allergy shots, now monthly for 4 years, I am immune to needle discomfort.

Started when i was two, ended when i was thirteen, plus three rounds of annual retests with a giant fuckoff tray of actual needles (scratch tests having not yet become a thing) and one more scratch test from an allergist who took $1100 to test for everything but the thing i sat there and told him i was allergic to, which was the entire reason for that test

So yeah I don't get to talk any poo poo about not understanding the "afraid of needles" crowd, that's just how it was.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Hell, back in my day, they weren’t needles so much as metal straws cut on an angle at one end.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Makes sense when you put it that way, since the anti-vaxxers are probably also anti-metal-straw.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
I'm starting my venom immunotherapy in the next few weeks and oh boy let me tell you I can't wait

loving venom was 800 bucks AFTER insurance

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

stab posted:

I'm starting my venom immunotherapy in the next few weeks and oh boy let me tell you I can't wait

Ya but you get mad gains bro

Hear the roid rage is killer though

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

stab posted:

????? Like snakes, or spiders, or????
Could you explain this please?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

B33rChiller posted:

tom hardys

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Buckle up, at least one Ontario university has sent out letters to staff asking if anyone wants to volunteer for 2-3 weeks in local health care facilities.

Edit: found a tweet about it

https://twitter.com/DrVivianS/status/1483583730635755520

There are different versions of the emails going around depending on the audience. The email I saw was asking for help taking support calls or preparing meals.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

It's to treat allergic reactions to bee stings. Bee venom is also used to treat arthritis.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

stab posted:

The movies couldn’t have been that bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought it was just listening to the metal band Venom repeatedly until you feel nothing any more