Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What a great thread. We love cheese and use it for everything we can but love charcuterie boards where it can really stand on its own.

Circa 2019 and early ‘20 we always got something called Abondance but they have had it in a long time and it was our favorite! If I can’t source it can someone suggest substitutes? I’m not really sure what family it even is.

I asked the store and they just say they can’t order it. Also they pronounced it the proper way and made me feel like an idiot. :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

I like cheese but acquired an allergy to it. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but has anyone tried an expensive artisinal dairy free cheeses? I have found places that produce them but none I could actually buy and it's unclear if they'd be good anyway. Grocery store vegan cheeses replicate cheap processed stuff quite well but I miss the good stuff.

Dairy free artisinal cheese is going to be pretty variable, and never quite completely replicate dairy cheeses, as least as of yet, but the good ones are getting pretty drat close. Miyoko's Creamery's stuff is pretty good, and fairly widely available, for somewhere to dip your toes in. I've also heard really good things about Treeline, though I haven't personally tried their stuff.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Some hopefully interesting cheese facts from Switzerland (I'll wait for the expert's approval before using the official hashtag):

Emmental was originally made in much smaller wheels. Individual farmers would just do things themselves and sell them on to the guy who would bring them to market. But in the 19th century there a new export duty was assessed per unit of cheese so the farmers banded together to form a kind of coop and started cranking out these wheels that are 75-120 kg (165-265 lbs). The size of the wheels bulked up the local lads and this gave rise to one of the Swiss national sports, a kind of mountain sumo: Schwingen. I learned this from my visit to the "Show dairy" in Emmental, which includes a factory tour along with a visit to an old timey barn where you can help an auld fella make the cheese in a giant kettle over a wood fire. Absolutely insane amounts of milk are required to make it, about 12 liters of milk to get a kilo of cheese.

Hiking is great here too because you'll often find farmers stock a little "honesty shop" that's just a box or sometimes a fridge with some of their cheese and sausage in it and a place to put your money (now also a QR code for mobile payments). Great snacks if you can find them!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I only recently moved out of the NYC area after commuting into Manhattan every day for work for like 6 years.

No lie, the #1 reason I was reluctant to leave (and probably the #1 reason I was stoked to start in the first place) was Murray's Cheese.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If you've got a Kroger or Kroger owned store anywhere nearby, you may still be able to find some Murray's stuff. Not everything you'd find in one of their dedicated shops, but Kroger acquired them in 2017, and carry some things in their own stores.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh sure, and I can just mail-order stuff too, I'm still on their list and not unsubbing anytime soon.

But there was something about going in there. I love talking to the people behind the counter, they genuinely love their stuff (even if they always suggest the same "interesting" cheddar every time lol, they probably get so sick of people like me). The grilled cheese they make is :discourse: sublime

And they also do (did?) classes like wine & cheese pairings and stuff like that. I only did a couple but it sure did stick as part of the overall ~experience~. Which I guess is always an intangible dragon you'll be forever chasing anyway, so.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

ps Current stock includes Gouda! (the usual red wax big wedge). Mahon/mitica. Red Leicester. Cheddar (Neal's yard) plus one last bit of a similar NYs. Manchego. Oh and there's one serving of plastic left in a cardboard box from NYE but don't tell anyone.

I currently have:

Petit Basque
St. Nuage
Red Leicester
Drunken Goat

Hed posted:

Abondance but they have had it in a long time and it was our favorite! If I can’t source it can someone suggest substitutes? I’m not really sure what family it even is.

It is an Alpine cheese produced in France near the Swiss border, and should be pretty similar to Comte.

greazeball posted:

Some hopefully interesting cheese facts from Switzerland (I'll wait for the expert's approval before using the official hashtag):

Emmental was originally made in much smaller wheels. Individual farmers would just do things themselves and sell them on to the guy who would bring them to market. But in the 19th century there a new export duty was assessed per unit of cheese so the farmers banded together to form a kind of coop and started cranking out these wheels that are 75-120 kg (165-265 lbs). The size of the wheels bulked up the local lads and this gave rise to one of the Swiss national sports, a kind of mountain sumo: Schwingen. I learned this from my visit to the "Show dairy" in Emmental, which includes a factory tour along with a visit to an old timey barn where you can help an auld fella make the cheese in a giant kettle over a wood fire. Absolutely insane amounts of milk are required to make it, about 12 liters of milk to get a kilo of cheese.

This is an excellent #cheesefact that I didn't know, thank you! That amount of milk usage is pretty normal for a cheese of that texture, too; Parmigiano Reggiano takes around 13 liters for a kilo.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 19, 2022

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

PainterofCrap posted:

My mother-in-law's (the late Teresa Niedbala) blue cheese dressing recipe:

At least 10-OZ good blue cheese, broken up
1-pt sour cream
1-cup Duke's mayo (I only recently learned that this was a thing - we've been using Duke's since we stumbled onto it in South Carolina 24-years ago)
1-tsp. celery seed
shotglass of vinegar (rice, or red wine work best)
2-cloves garlic, pressed
add sugar to taste (doesn't take much)

Mix it together and refrigerate overnight. I'd wait on sweetening it until the next day. The garlic will emerge by morning & strengthen as the day goes on. It just keeps getting better.

Well, guess I'm making Buffalo wings for my birthday dinner. Thanks for this.

This thread reminded me of the 30yr old cheese that was discovered at a cheese place in Wisconsin. Are there any places that are now intentionally aging cheese to that extreme or is it too much of a crapshoot?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tribbledirigible posted:

This thread reminded me of the 30yr old cheese that was discovered at a cheese place in Wisconsin. Are there any places that are now intentionally aging cheese to that extreme or is it too much of a crapshoot?

Oh yeah! That was the other cheese fact from Switzerland I wanted to share. It's not done in a production capacity, but there are Alpine villages that used to have a tradition of setting aside a wheel of cheese on your wedding day to be eaten by the guests at your own funeral. These were extremely remote, poor mountain villages and it was important to the people there that the guests at their funeral would have enough to eat at the wake. Like the remote mountain villages themselves, this tradition is dying out now. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/most-unusual-cheese-switzerland

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
a cheese I wish I encountered at my local deli more often: Mimolette, aka Boule de Lille. Bright orange from annatto, rind cratered from cheese mites, when aged 18+ months it is hard and nutty and butterscotchy; when younger it is more reminiscent of an extra-old cheddar. Such a fun cheese.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tribbledirigible posted:

Tillamook has some 10-15 year-old cheeddars available commercially, and IIRC you can get even older stuff at their center in Oregon.

I need to visit the Tillamook plant again…

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Superterranean posted:

a cheese I wish I encountered at my local deli more often: Mimolette, aka Boule de Lille. Bright orange from annatto, rind cratered from cheese mites, when aged 18+ months it is hard and nutty and butterscotchy; when younger it is more reminiscent of an extra-old cheddar. Such a fun cheese.

There is a story about mimolette, in that while Napoleon was in exile, he was not allowed to have cheese, but was allowed fresh fruit. So he had his loyalists smuggle mimolette in for him under the guise of it being a melon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

What are some good dry and funky cheeses like really old manchego that we can get in FL?

Manchego is a sheep's cheese, you could try the French versions from the other side of the Pyrenees. Ossau-Iraty AOP is the most well known and broadly available, but there are a lot of small producers in Bearn and the Pays Basque and the (non-AOP/PDO) cheeses are quite varied, from strong tangy sheep's milk cheeses to milder moreish "mixte" brebis/vache ones. I'm not sure why some places call it AOP, others PDO, it's a kind of a fake designation anyway which ironically is mostly applied to higher volume products.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One time I ordered a 9-year cheddar from Murray's, back when I was in CA.

It was so sharp it was painful. I had to grate it into chili, it was the only way to get through it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is a story about mimolette, in that while Napoleon was in exile, he was not allowed to have cheese, but was allowed fresh fruit. So he had his loyalists smuggle mimolette in for him under the guise of it being a melon.

i hadn't thought about it but I've only ever seen (or at least noticed) mimolette in sliced, packaged form before that photo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

distortion park posted:

Manchego is a sheep's cheese, you could try the French versions from the other side of the Pyrenees. Ossau-Iraty AOP is the most well known and broadly available, but there are a lot of small producers in Bearn and the Pays Basque and the (non-AOP/PDO) cheeses are quite varied, from strong tangy sheep's milk cheeses to milder moreish "mixte" brebis/vache ones. I'm not sure why some places call it AOP, others PDO, it's a kind of a fake designation anyway which ironically is mostly applied to higher volume products.

AOC is Appellation d'origine contrôlée, Appelation of Controlled origin, a French certification.

DOC is Denominazione d'origine controllata, Designation of Controlled origin, an Italian certification

PDO is Protected Designation of Origin, an EU umbrella certification.

Something can be either AOC or DOC, and can also be PDO, or not. Generally, something won't be PDO if it isn't also AOC or DOC.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 19, 2022

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Superterranean posted:

When I was a cheesemonger, Mimolette was my least favourite cheese as it's a bastard to cut neatly. That rind is had as (appropriately) balls.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Teach posted:

When I was a cheesemonger, Mimolette was my least favourite cheese as it's a bastard to cut neatly. That rind is had as (appropriately) balls.

Yeah it is a mother fucker for sure. We leave it out for hours to soften and then score the rind really deep

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
the first time I had some, the cheesemonger I got it from (probably in Lyons?) used parmesan knives to open it and sold it craggy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Superterranean posted:

the first time I had some, the cheesemonger I got it from (probably in Lyons?) used parmesan knives to open it and sold it craggy.

That would be easier for sure, but you can definitely get it clean if you take your time and let it come to temp and score it, but that's not really feasible somewhere that doesn't pre cut and package cheeses for merchandising.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Dairy free artisinal cheese is going to be pretty variable, and never quite completely replicate dairy cheeses, as least as of yet, but the good ones are getting pretty drat close. Miyoko's Creamery's stuff is pretty good, and fairly widely available, for somewhere to dip your toes in. I've also heard really good things about Treeline, though I haven't personally tried their stuff.
Thanks, I am going to track these down.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

Thanks, I am going to track these down.

Kite Hill makes good products as well. Really good ricotta.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Violife's Just Like Feta and Just Like Parmesan are also pretty on point. I get the Just Like Parmesan when I want something I can grate, and not the shaker sort of stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

What do you mean by "dry"? And funky meaning what, smelly? Gamey?

Dry as in not soft but not crumbly.

Funky as sorta in smelly but also with some brettanomyces like esters and phenolics, similar to wild fermented beer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Teach posted:

this cheese laughs at your puny knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxa524VA0h4

the mimolette tale i heard was that they used it for cannonballs when they ran out of the real thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

All I know about Corsicans is from Asterix in Corsica, but cheese is a very important part of that book. How dare they try to deprive a Corsican of cheese. Utterly barbaric.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
You CUT mimolette? You carve her rind with saw like lumberjack? Jail for one thousand years!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Help it's so hot in here and it's not even summer! :sweatdrop:

Also just saying that I smile when the unit of measure is not "(some) cheese" (as if the individual curds are the noun), but "a cheese", singular indefinite article.

"Hello I'd like to buy a cheese".
"Certainly sir. Would that be a cylinder or wheel?"

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Miyoko cheddar block acquired. It has a slightly unsettling brownish green color but it is quite pleasant and a very welcome approximation of the experience of nibbling a block of cheddar. Thanks for the recommendation!

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Can someone recommend me a cheese similar to the catamount hills cheese they sell cubed at Whole Foods? Cabot makes it, and I think it's technically labeled as a cheddar, but it doesn't really taste very cheddar-y.

It's my favorite for snacking on so I'd like to know what to look for that would have a similar taste profile.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
One concern I had (years ago) buying that 5lb of wensleydale was keeping it alive. Any good guides on who likes a complete wrap of plastic in the fridge, versus sitting out on a counter breathing freely?

Hypothetically if one were to buy this, how would you cut and store it to keep it edible? 2lb/wk is 1000 weeks or 19 years :stwoon:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Miyoko cheddar block acquired. It has a slightly unsettling brownish green color but it is quite pleasant and a very welcome approximation of the experience of nibbling a block of cheddar. Thanks for the recommendation!

For more recommendations, I highly suggest scouring the vegan parts of the web, even if you aren't vegan yourself. There are a lot of interesting things going on in the dairy free cheese arena, and it's usually highly covered on things like Vegnews and the like.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Help it's so hot in here and it's not even summer! :sweatdrop:

what

Grandito posted:

Can someone recommend me a cheese similar to the catamount hills cheese they sell cubed at Whole Foods? Cabot makes it, and I think it's technically labeled as a cheddar, but it doesn't really taste very cheddar-y.

It's my favorite for snacking on so I'd like to know what to look for that would have a similar taste profile.

Not really anything to be honest. Catamount is a pretty unique cheese, being a cheddar with swiss and parmesan cultures.

One concern I had (years ago) buying that 5lb of wensleydale was keeping it alive. Any good guides on who likes a complete wrap of plastic in the fridge, versus sitting out on a counter breathing freely?

I wouldn't leave any cheese out on the counter once it's cut open. The same as any food, once you manipulate something it becomes an at risk item for food safety concerns. Some of the more aged, low moisture cheeses like ParmReg can stay out at room temperature for extended periods, but even stores that display them at ambient temperature move them into the cooler over night. That said, most cheeses are best eaten when allowed to come to room temperature or close to it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 20, 2022

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
You can still get Rogue River Blue straight from Rogue Creamery, though only in 1/4 wheels (18oz.)
https://roguecreamery.com/rogue-river-blue/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AOC is Appellation d'origine contrôlée, Appelation of Controlled origin, a French certification.

DOC is Denominazione d'origine controllata, Designation of Controlled origin, an Italian certification

PDO is Protected Designation of Origin, an EU umbrella certification.

Something can be either AOC or DOC, and can also be PDO, or not. Generally, something won't be PDO if it isn't also AOC or DOC.

Thanks! I was confused about how AOP fitted in as well, but that's just the French for PDO

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just a general question. What happens if/when you freeze cheese? I imagine it's different based on the age & ripeness/softness.

I'm assuming: nothing good, lots of separation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't like paneer at all, but enjoy other cheese like halloumi. Humboldt Fog is excellent. Sweet Grass Dairy out of Georgia is a great mid-south Atlantic creamery.

See, I love paneer too. I like to order at Gateway to India in Longwood and get their paneer coated in tikka spice and grilled.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Just a general question. What happens if/when you freeze cheese? I imagine it's different based on the age & ripeness/softness.

I'm assuming: nothing good, lots of separation.

Depends on the cheese. Stuff like cheddar or mozzarella can be frozen pretty much no problem. Aged, harder cheeses don't do well frozen, they get very dry and crumbly. Things like ricotta, cream cheese, and brie shouldn't be frozen at all, or they will separate and turn to absolute poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What cheese do you think will go well with canned fish like sardines? Mainly ones packed in oil, not likely to have other flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

What cheese do you think will go well with canned fish like sardines? Mainly ones packed in oil, not likely to have other flavors.

Do not eat sardines with cheese.