Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Has it come crashing down? I think my collection has at least doubled in price the last two years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mcmagic posted:

Is this yours?

Nah, stolen from a recent Reddit thread.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

Has it come crashing down? I think my collection has at least doubled in price the last two years

Yes and that's why Sony owns spiderman, disney owns the MCU and universal owns themepark rights.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The new Secret Lairs are no longer timed exclusives either so you can just hold off until the end of the year to decide if you want a Capricorn swamp or not. They're just getting more greedy now.

Double Feature priced at $200+ or whatever is pretty crazy. But it is putting 2 rare/mythics into the slot. Maybe if Midnight/Vow were selling like hotcakes I could understand. The B&W art is just not that appealing to me now (esp for double the price) and they kinda did a lazy job of it. Even the special silver foils they're putting into the set don't seem appealing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As long as their selling the fancy cards as ways to bling out your commander deck and not as collectables they're not walking the same path as comics / beanie babies, but with the new ultra rare Hidetsugu they're pushing into that path and it seems reasonable to expect to see them play in that space more in the future.

Really though, the biggest threat I see isn't overmonitization in and of itself, its people just moving on from Commander to other hobbies. Aggressive monetization probably won't help, but I'd be more worried about it just plain becoming unfashionable.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

this sounds like it would be a blast to play in. this is my kind of jam

Yeah the meta is pretty varied here, I was going to save the meta breakdown for later, but nobody who posts on this dead forum are playing in my paper league in Canada, so here goes:

Izzet:
2 delver
2 storm
1 swans

Abzan:
3 rites reanimator
1 BUTTS

Boros:
1 prison deck (goblin bombardment, 9 lives, humility, also vizier, finks, redcap combo and greater gargadon)

Red:
1 Goblins (12 whack)
1 burn

Azorius:
1 hard control/gideon tribal

Naya:
1 enchantress

Sultai:
1 Snow tribal

Green:
1 elves/scurry oak combo

Gruul:
1 Ponza

Selesnya:
1 Selesnya beatdown/hatebears-esque

Orzhov:
1 rally the ancestors/aristocrats
1 bogles

Rakdos:
1 goblins (but rakdos)

4color pile:
i don't actually know what this deck does so I've just attached a picture of the decklist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's a deck that uses Squee, Goblin Nabob and Master of Death as basically free discards for zombie infestation and a few other things to drain opponents with faith of the devoted triggers.

It's a full Golgari deck that only gets called 4-color because Squee and Master are red and blue; the deck contains no sources of red or blue mana at all.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a deck that uses Squee, Goblin Nabob and Master of Death as basically free discards for zombie infestation and a few other things to drain opponents with faith of the devoted triggers.

It's a full Golgari deck that only gets called 4-color because Squee and Master are red and blue; the deck contains no sources of red or blue mana at all.

Honestly, sick. Too bad it’s gotta get swans’d sometime during the tournament

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Secret Lair Drop:Magic :: Chromium Variant Covers::Comics

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

HootTheOwl posted:

What crashed to comic market? I feel it's the same thing, so many more exclusive and alt coversarts to snag as many whales as they can but then it all comes crashing down.

Magic:the Gathering out-competing it for collector money, ironically enough.

(Who knows how long it could have been sustainable otherwise, but that was the trigger.)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah the meta is pretty varied here, I was going to save the meta breakdown for later, but nobody who posts on this dead forum are playing in my paper league in Canada, so here goes:

neat

idle thought, I wonder if horizonless modern (no mh1 or 2) would accomplish a similar goal to budget modern in the sense of driving down the price while also being slightly less volatile. you could even bill it as "pure modern," it's a concept that sells itself

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

neat

idle thought, I wonder if horizonless modern (no mh1 or 2) would accomplish a similar goal to budget modern in the sense of driving down the price while also being slightly less volatile. you could even bill it as "pure modern," it's a concept that sells itself

After Ragavan the main cost of Modern is fetches+shocks.
Take this death's shadow list, which mtggoldfish values at ~1200
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-death-s-shadow-472#paper
400 of it is ragavan
450 is Tarn/Delta/Mire
Another 100 in shocks.
so of the 1200 950 is Ragavan + land, about 80%

By contrast, here's hammertime at ~1000
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-hammer-time#paper
of that Saga, Inkmoth, and Stoneforge represent 480, about half the value, but still less than the fetches/shocks of the deck above.

Also this exercise taught me that SFM is a 50 dollar card. Lol, collapse already.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
SFM needs a meaningful reprint in the worst of ways.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

kalel posted:

neat

Nah, all the old staples are still very expensive.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

kalel posted:

neat

Cutting 3-400$ from 1600$ decks, while an improvement, doesn't make them "budget" decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YggdrasilTM posted:

Cutting 3-400$ from 1600$ decks, while an improvement, doesn't make them "budget" decks.

It might make elves playable though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The reason to cut out horizons is to make the format more stable to play long-term, instead of having to drop another few bills on the new pushed card every time wizards poops out another horizons set.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
have any of the various formats made out of spite actually lasted for long enough to be considered 'long-term?'

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flatluigi posted:

have any of the various formats made out of spite actually lasted for long enough to be considered 'long-term?'

Pauper was a spite format created when Mirrodin block (and specifically Skullclamp) completely destroyed Type 2.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New leak that I didn't see posted here. Seems very very good.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 19, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

And a 1RW legend that's completley unlegible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

And a 1RW legend that's completley unlegible.

A bafflingly bad photo of a leak.

Some legends... never fade.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A bafflingly bad photo of a leak.

Some legends... never fade.
looks kinda like

haste

whenever this deals damage to a player, if this doesn't have an Indestructible counter, put an Indestructible counter on this

whenever a creature deals combat to you, remove an Indestructible counter from this

?/?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Set continues to have great art.
Michiko [Konda's] Reign of Truth, on this fan.

Azusa's Many Journies, here on a Kimmono.

"The Dragon Kami Reborn" (that's Jugan in the middle, five color Jugan comming?)

"The Shattered States Era" depicted on a hilt

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 19, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

absolutely in love with the diagetic saga art. worked great in kaldheim too

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

This will go great in my Soulshift deck.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've been doing pretty good with this UW Artifacts affinity-ish deck, based on something that Gabriel Nassif and some other folks have been playing. Got my first 4-1 in a modern league with it, it's a lot of fun to pilot

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4558743

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Saga art is the best thing to come out of Magic in years. They're consistently impressive in every single set.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GonSmithe posted:

I like this a lot. Not game breaking but a very solid card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
high cmc mythics with death triggers seem like a hard sell in 2022 due to the escalation of the threats/removal arms race. pushed cards are often removal proof so pushed removal tends to exile as compenastion

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

little munchkin posted:

high cmc mythics with death triggers seem like a hard sell in 2022 due to the escalation of the threats/removal arms race. pushed cards are often removal proof so pushed removal tends to exile as compenastion

I warned you all!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A redditor posted this, no idea if it's correct

I tried to clean up the leaked image in photoshop, but no amount of curve adjustment or sharpening was working.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Asari commander? I thought they were doing a WH40k crossover, not Mass Effect :smugbert:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

little munchkin posted:

The only exile that hits this card in Standard is Vanishing Verse though?

e: Flame Blessed Bolt if you want to 2 for 1 I guess

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Most of it is for limited only, but there's actually a lot:

Baleful Mastery
Bleed Dry
Borrowed Time and other o-ring variants
Brittle Blast
Burn the Accursed
Crush the weak
Divine Gambit
Divine Smite
Eaten Alive
Expel
Feed the Serpent
Flame-Blessed Bolt
Intro to Annihilation
Kaya the Inexorable
Necrotic Fumes
Ravenform
Reduce to Memory
Resculpt
Rise of Extus
Rite of Pblivion

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There's no blood artists currently in standard, right?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Do people still play Standard?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There's no blood artists currently in standard, right?

There's Meathook Massacre, and in Alchemy there is Sanguine Brushstroke

Eej posted:

Rite of Oblivion

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Standard and Alchemy are still the defacto playmodes of Arena which also makes up the bulk of worldwide constructed play so yes.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Most of it is for limited only, but there's actually a lot:

Baleful Mastery
Bleed Dry
Borrowed Time and other o-ring variants
Brittle Blast
Burn the Accursed
Crush the weak
Divine Gambit
Divine Smite
Eaten Alive
Expel
Feed the Serpent
Flame-Blessed Bolt
Intro to Annihilation
Kaya the Inexorable
Necrotic Fumes
Ravenform
Reduce to Memory
Resculpt
Rise of Extus
Rite of Pblivion

If one creature card can warp the meta enough for people to run half this junk then I would say that's a pretty strong creature card.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Rite of Pblivion ruined my Pbuper league and i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Leperflesh posted:

A redditor posted this, no idea if it's correct

I tried to clean up the leaked image in photoshop, but no amount of curve adjustment or sharpening was working.

This is gonna be insanely annoying in Limited I'm guessing