Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Potentially positive movement from Germany.
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1483442362395377666?t=dgCyolpMThCstS6S8tOYlQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Might be the only language Putin understands. Good, glad to hear it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I wonder what if any impact the Olympics will have on Russias invasion timeline (if they actually do intend to invade). I guess it's not impossible but I think it would be awkward as hell for Russia to invade another country while the Olympics are going on. If I remember correctly back in 2014 they invaded Crimea like right after the Sochi Olympics ended?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder what if any impact the Olympics will have on Russias invasion timeline (if they actually do intend to invade). I guess it's not impossible but I think it would be awkward as hell for Russia to invade another country while the Olympics are going on. If I remember correctly back in 2014 they invaded Crimea like right after the Sochi Olympics ended?

russia is famous for respecting the sanctity of international sporting events so you may be on to something here

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh good a nice healthy story about Olympic athlete's native countries disappearing from existence mid way through the games.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How are u posted:

In the long term, the amount of gas transferred through this pipeline isn't that significant and I don't think it's possible for Europe to suddenly switch to other LNG Sources. That said, it's kind of the crown jewel of Russia's energy infrastructure and definitely hits a sore spot.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1483425034148491266

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

In the long term, the amount of gas transferred through this pipeline isn't that significant and I don't think it's possible for Europe to suddenly switch to other LNG Sources. That said, it's kind of the crown jewel of Russia's energy infrastructure and definitely hits a sore spot.

It's not just volume, the other pipelines mostly run through other countries and places Russias money spigot under the influence of those countries. If you have alternative routes that can circumvent those transit countries it lessens that influence and one can force your own will on those transit countries by fiddling with your own spigot at the border.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How are u posted:

It's not such a big step as media pretends. The pipeline is currently in legal limbo and the new German government has put the decision on whether to take it online to the EU(with the expectation that the EU will kill it). Russian expectations of it ever going online were probably already slim to none.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

It's not such a big step as media pretends. The pipeline is currently in legal limbo and the new German government has put the decision on whether to take it online to the EU(with the expectation that the EU will kill it). Russian expectations of it ever going online were probably already slim to none.

The symbolism of the relatively Russia-friendly Scholtz being forced to bow down to the public pressure to freeze the pipeline is still quite a lot, though. Paints a picture of where German policy is headed after Merkel.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Welp. War is so dumb meat grinder. It's awful how a bunch of young men are going to simply be sent to their deaths for no good reason and whom honestly probably would have gotten along just fine if it wasn't their lovely leaders.

This isn't guaranteed yet -- we're at the stage of dynamic evaluation of the risks/rewards/costs (anyone who grew up on a street with gopniks who would test you for how hard it is to steal from you knows this dance). There are still ways to back out and save face.

Putin had weak responses to invading Georgia and even in 2014-2015, but he still had to pretend and not directly invade outright a Ukraine that was falling apart while having the support of a lot of russian-speakers. Sanctions from the west came slowly and there were good friends there. Now the west is calling out Russia in advance, it is united, Ukraine is a functioning state and no one wants to become a people's Republic ruled by hobos and russian officers, etc. He doesn't want to destroy his relationship with the west and risk not just economic sanctions on Russia, but problems for oligarchs

Right now I'm most concerned about a justification, there's no hypothetical genocide against russian-speakers to prevent so fabricating something very vile is the next step to up the stakes.

This guy seems to think punitive military actions without occupation are most likely: https://www.fpri.org/article/2022/01/moscows-compellence-strategy/
Worth reading

Somaen fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 19, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Russian expectations of it ever going online were probably already slim to none.
It seemed guaranteed just few months ago.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it possible they plan only to invade and annex the Donbas but go no further?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

The symbolism of the relatively Russia-friendly Scholtz being forced to bow down to the public pressure to freeze the pipeline is still quite a lot, though. Paints a picture of where German policy is headed after Merkel.

Lavrov looked much less smug after meeting Baerbock than he did after the trash fire summit with Borrell.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Danke Schoen!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

That and connect Crimea to the Donbass, most likely. Quite less likely, everything east of Kiev.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 19, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Russia breaks the Minsk agreement and becomes responsible for feeding and providing to the local population. Invasion predictions come true, sanctions hit. Russian population upset that the economy gets worse and they have to feed people that should be Ukraine's problem. Everything that was valuable in the Donbass has already been stolen, mostly pensioners remain who are also dying from covid

Too high risk/cost for little reward I think

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grape posted:

With the really weird aspect of fighting what are basically ethnic cousins.

I know a couple people that got brain-wormed by Kremlin media, and based on what they say it'd be likely that the counterinsurgency campaign would be led by Chechens and Dagestanis. Kadyrov's team has huge experience in that kind of "technically not genocide" action.
Still it would get bloody quickly, and on a global scale. Ukrainian diaspora is surprisingly huge. No idea how many of 3 million Ukrainian citizens living in Russia identifies as Ukrainian, but for the 2 million that live in Poland it would be most. There's another ~0,5 million in rest of Western Europe and another 2 million in US+Canada.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles :yayclod:

Please don't post Nazi poo poo for funny thanks

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Kay

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Chechnya 1994: 1 milion
Afghanistan 1979: 13 million
Syria 2010: 21 milion
Afghanistan 2001: 21 million
Ukraine 2021: 41 million

C'mon Russia, have a forever war.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Charliegrs posted:

Sochi was part of the plan. Putin got a huge popularity boost after the games, which helped him do things he would have struggled to do otherwise. Hence the extreme focus on doping and making sure russian athletes won at all costs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Freudian slippers posted:

Sochi was part of the plan. Putin got a huge popularity boost after the games, which helped him do things he would have struggled to do otherwise. Hence the extreme focus on doping and making sure russian athletes won at all costs.
Don't they do that for every olympics anyway?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I just watched this, ahahahahahhaha. Jesus loving Christ.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Grouchio posted:

That and connect Crimea to the Donbass, most likely. Quite less likely, everything east of Kiev.

I would think Russia would have their eyes on the North Crimean Canal.

Water wars and all that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I read an article which pointed out that crimea has huge emotional value to most European Russians since it’s a warm weather location in a country with few of them and during the Soviet era it was one of the favorite places to put summer camps so many people have fond emotional attachments to it that helped Putin’s popularity when he annexed it. Nobody has the same warm feelings about wheat fields and coal mines of eastern Ukraine valuable as that might be economically and that’s probably affecting the political calculus.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somaen posted:

This isn't guaranteed yet -- we're at the stage of dynamic evaluation of the risks/rewards/costs (anyone who grew up on a street with gopniks who would test you for how hard it is to steal from you knows this dance). There are still ways to back out and save face.

Putin had weak responses to invading Georgia and even in 2014-2015, but he still had to pretend and not directly invade outright a Ukraine that was falling apart while having the support of a lot of russian-speakers. Sanctions from the west came slowly and there were good friends there. Now the west is calling out Russia in advance, it is united, Ukraine is a functioning state and no one wants to become a people's Republic ruled by hobos and russian officers, etc. He doesn't want to destroy his relationship with the west and risk not just economic sanctions on Russia, but problems for oligarchs

Right now I'm most concerned about a justification, there's no hypothetical genocide against russian-speakers to prevent so fabricating something very vile is the next step to up the stakes.

This guy seems to think punitive military actions without occupation are most likely: https://www.fpri.org/article/2022/01/moscows-compellence-strategy/
Worth reading

I've been following this guys twitter but from what I'm gathering he's thinking military action is becoming more and more likely. Granted, that doesn't mean it is going to happen but giving the way things are trending this doesn't look good and getting worse. Looking at it from an overall perspective, I don't see how on earth Putin could activate and move so many military units but then suddenly just turn around in leave. That's an enormous investment for nothing and you'd lose so much credibility.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 19, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah I feel like the decision was made months ago, and we're just seeing theatre and preparation.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't see how on earth Putin could activate and move so many military units but then suddenly just turn around in leave. That's an enormous investment for nothing and you'd lose so much credibility.
The crux of the crisis is keeping it too costly for Putin to follow through with his threats. As bad as backing down might appear, a ton of dead Russians for no tangible results is significantly more costly. One of the reasons the West isn't matching Putin's bluster (much to the consternation of those who confuse threats of violence for capacity for violence) is to not make his offramp want harder than it needs to be. Putin can absolutely take his ball and go home without excess domestic cost because he ultimately is accountable to only a handful of regime stakeholders over whom he has a great deal of control.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Haramstufe Rot posted:

It's not actually Nazi poo poo, not anymore than Germany in general. Deutschland über alles is a call to abandon regional reactionary/feudal loyalties in favor of a liberal German identity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I don't see how on earth Putin could activate and move so many military units but then suddenly just turn around in leave.

By getting the security guarantees he wants, or that he can pretend he wanted.

That doesn't look to be happening so it won't stop.

Cugel the Clever posted:

As bad as backing down might appear, a ton of dead Russians for no tangible results is significantly more costly.

Russian forces can crush the Ukrainian military with few to no casualties, and doing just that is in fact less costly from a domestic politics perspective than turning back around altogether.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually Nazi poo poo, not anymore than Germany in general. Deutschland über alles is a call to abandon regional reactionary/feudal loyalties in favor of a liberal German identity.

Yeah, but it was still co-opted by the Nazis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In somewhat Eastern European news, Finnish popular opposition to a NATO has dropped to a historic low of 42%.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And the swastika is just a hindu symbol for good luck.

It's been coopted.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Russian forces can crush the Ukrainian military with few to no casualties

That's only if both sides agree to play clean. Good luck with Russia's land invasion if Ukraine chooses the nuclear option and turns the eastern border into no man's land with dirty bombs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BoldFace posted:

That's only if both sides agree to play clean. Good luck with Russia's land invasion if Ukraine chooses the nuclear option and turns the eastern border into no man's land with dirty bombs.

I think it's safe to say Russia has escalation dominance when it comes to nonconventional weapons, that would be insane.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What the gently caress are you talking about?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
If Ukraine had those dirty bombs, Crimea wouldn't have happened.

And even if they had them, they wouldn't drop them on their own land and poison their own people. Kinda defeats the point of a weapon if it destroys your own country and people.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Even Zelenskyi says people should chill with the war chat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCTfmJfvGU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

In somewhat Eastern European news, Finnish popular opposition to a NATO has dropped to a historic low of 42%.

Read an article today about Sweden, currently sending troops to Gotland, and apparently also has a majority in parlement who wants to join nato. Although that won’t happen any time soon I guess. social democrats, who are in the majority, will block it? Maybe a Swedish goon can clarify:)
In any case, Poetin is getting the exact opposite of what he was going for. If his intention was to keep neighboring countries looking more westward. Or maybe he just needs that sweet sweet Donbas land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mrfart posted:

Read an article today about Sweden, currently sending troops to Gotland, and apparently also has a majority in parlement who wants to join nato. Although that won’t happen any time soon I guess. social democrats, who are in the majority, will block it? Maybe a Swedish goon can clarify:)

I don't think Sweden joining NATO at this point is likey, but yeah, you're unfamiliar with how Scandinavian social democrats work.