Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gutcruncher posted:

Reminder that Jack and Jill cost 70 million

thats impossible. did sandler write a scene where he sets a pallet of $100s on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

No Mods No Masters posted:

If I were the lord, I would have simply not pursued this ring forging plan. Doesn't seem like the benefits outweighed the risks

"Hey guise, this super sexy elf with godlike powers no one has ever heard about showed up in Eregion and told us we should totally make magical rings to give out to all powerful leaders of the races of Middle Earth. Unrelated but we haven't heard from the Lord of Shapeshifters and Magic Saurom since Melkor being yeeted into space but I'm sure it'll be okay"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stink Billyums posted:

well, the budget for lord of the rings is like 6 times as much as wheel of time so it should at least look good

All those executive producers don't pay themselves you know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh baby

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thats impossible. did sandler write a scene where he sets a pallet of $100s on fire

Sandler is a huge fan of the KLF

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If you haven't watched it before, the boys (Stoklasa and Bauman) have a great video about that and Adam Sandler movie-industrial complex (tl;dr it's a grift to funnel money into himself and his buddies)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Surely Sandler got paid double since he played two characters?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Galewolf posted:

If you haven't watched it before, the boys (Stoklasa and Bauman) have a great video about that and Adam Sandler movie-industrial complex (tl;dr it's a grift to funnel money into himself and his buddies)

70 million goes beyond grift and into "im literally robbing sony"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cacator posted:

RIP, he was hung like a horse in the movie where he played Yves Saint Laurent.

Glad to see even if RLM has given up on doing stand-in work that Jack hasn't.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

70 million goes beyond grift and into "im literally robbing sony"

I think alot of that money comes from product placement and various kinds of endorsements, in any case with the box office success of most of those Sasndler movies, the guys at Sony were making decent money off those as well.

priznat posted:

I don’t want to watch any sandler films but I respect him ripping off movie studios, netflix and white trash.

Again I don't really think that's how that works. Everyone was just paying themselves for those movies.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 19, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t want to watch any sandler films but I respect him ripping off movie studios, netflix and white trash.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arc Hammer posted:

I was hoping for the fall of Numenor but I guess we're doing the War of the Last Alliance instead.

PostNouveau posted:

They still haven't gotten to a trailer with characters and dialogue huh?

Not real big on this premise either. It's a prequel AND it's about the rings and poo poo? Very Star Wars where everything has to be about the Force and lightsabers.

The fall of Numenor will be in it, there is no way in hell they are skipping that, especially since they cast isildur as a young man. they posted a map on the official show's twitter that has Numenor in the ocean. If anything I think it hints that the primary story will be setting up the Akallabeth for at least the first season, possibly significantly more, as that potentially is a long story. Calling it the Rings of Power also hints that we may be getting significant backstory into Celebrimbor and such.

As for it begin a prequel about the rings, the rings are the dominant factor at this point in the story anyway, since Sauron having the One Ring is the entire reason Numenor falls. Blame Tolkien for that. In order to have a story not featuring the rings, you either go to the First Age, which is even harder to film, or you go to mid-Third Age, with the Witch King as the primary bad guy, telling the downfall of Arnor. But the Witch King is only what he is because of a ring of power.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm not seeing a downside here, crew got work, Sony lost money

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

I'm not seeing a downside here, crew got work, Sony lost money

I don't really think Sony lost money on those movies. I don't know why people are trying to turn Adam Sandler into some kind of dumb Robin Hood, when the actual truth of the matter is taht those movies is jsut everyone involved funneling money to themselves, including Sony and the executives.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sandler is cool
uncut gems owned
i don't give a poo poo if he makes money from this dumb art form!!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sandler is cool
uncut gems owned
i don't give a poo poo if he makes money from this dumb art form!!

I mean that's fine, but you don't have to make up a weird narrative where he's some noble thief redistrubting wealth.

And Sandler didn't make Uncut Gems, which you obviously know. He was in it and that movie and other movies he's good in are nothing like the movies he actually has a hand in creatively.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hadn't even stopped to consider that the jack and jill half in the bag was one of the earlier ones they did, there's probably a whole wealth of red letter media fans out there who haven't seen what's a foundational piece of the red letter media oeuvre

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"Movies are the toilet of the world." (Stoklasa, Bauman, et al., "Half in the Bag", chap. 84)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was very funny that Uncut Gems got zero nominations solely because Sandler starred in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As for it begin a prequel about the rings, the rings are the dominant factor at this point in the story anyway, since Sauron having the One Ring is the entire reason Numenor falls. Blame Tolkien for that. In order to have a story not featuring the rings, you either go to the First Age, which is even harder to film, or you go to mid-Third Age, with the Witch King as the primary bad guy, telling the downfall of Arnor. But the Witch King is only what he is because of a ring of power.

What's all this nerd poo poo just make a movie about some chill Hobbits maybe they pair up with some uptight elves and do a heist on the dwarves or something.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

What's all this nerd poo poo just make a movie about some chill Hobbits maybe they pair up with some uptight elves and do a heist on the dwarves or something.

Hey, that sounds like a great idea. You knkw maybe the guy who did the original trilogy might be interested in directing that!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Arc Hammer posted:

It says that Boba Fett needs a posse. He's got Mulan, Machete, a baby Rancor, a rat catcher Droid, a Dwayne Johnson Wookiee, the Mod Squad Vespa gang, and next episode he's getting Mando back.

Boba Fart

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Blorba Fart.

This really should have been a movie (but really it never should have been anything at all) because every episode has like one cool thing and then a bunch of whatever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Adam Sandler, more like Fartam Fartler

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
https://twitter.com/warmloveletter/status/1483553225953394693?t=4dR1WiKSVwTqJn9ZIHBncg&s=19

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpCa7Z5Btjs

Dale is his own brand of crazy he'd think Q was too mainstream.

Hardwick rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The fall of Numenor will be in it, there is no way in hell they are skipping that, especially since they cast isildur as a young man. they posted a map on the official show's twitter that has Numenor in the ocean. If anything I think it hints that the primary story will be setting up the Akallabeth for at least the first season, possibly significantly more, as that potentially is a long story. Calling it the Rings of Power also hints that we may be getting significant backstory into Celebrimbor and such.

It's been a bit since I read Akallebeth but I thought Sauron only forged The One Ring after the Fall of Numenor. Falling into the ocean only destroyed his ability to appear fair.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was very funny that Uncut Gems got zero nominations solely because Sandler starred in it.

TBF that is a good reason even though it was a good mobie

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

It's been a bit since I read Akallebeth but I thought Sauron only forged The One Ring after the Fall of Numenor. Falling into the ocean only destroyed his ability to appear fair.

He appears as Annatar to the Elves ~1500 years before the downfall. The fallout of the rings and his treachery being discovered is what leads to the war that sees Numenor crush Sauron. The power of the One Ring is what helps him compel Ar-Pharazon to bring him back to Numenor in chains rather than just be executed. How Sauron got the physical ring back to Middle Earth is murky, though as a powerful spirit, its not too hard to just imagine him carrying it off.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Fukken posting in a honeypot / "trap sprung" thread itt

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i will never apologize for being a lotr dork in the RLM thread wherein we all watch Mike and Rich go off on tangents about star trek

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Randarkman posted:

I mean that's fine, but you don't have to make up a weird narrative where he's some noble thief redistrubting wealth.

And Sandler didn't make Uncut Gems, which you obviously know. He was in it and that movie and other movies he's good in are nothing like the movies he actually has a hand in creatively.

Its mostly from a seething hatred of Sony pictures, a company that somehow manages to be monstrously evil while being run by a bunch of particularly stupid and unpopular fraternity/sorority dorks. While to some extent this describes all studios Sony is like if the Trump kids ran Disney.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I personally like that their Twitter looks like "LOTRon" as in a something like youtube streamer named Ron that is way into the movies.

I thought it was a weird ron perlman twitter gag at first

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kingo Ligma posted:

Its mostly from a seething hatred of Sony pictures, a company that somehow manages to be monstrously evil while being run by a bunch of particularly stupid and unpopular fraternity/sorority dorks. While to some extent this describes all studios Sony is like if the Trump kids ran Disney.

Yes, I understand that, but I don't really think Sandler was defrauding Sony, I think Sony were all in on the lovely movies he was making. It was a money funneling operation and Sony was as much a part of it as Sandler himself.

Burns
May 10, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He appears as Annatar to the Elves ~1500 years before the downfall. The fallout of the rings and his treachery being discovered is what leads to the war that sees Numenor crush Sauron. The power of the One Ring is what helps him compel Ar-Pharazon to bring him back to Numenor in chains rather than just be executed. How Sauron got the physical ring back to Middle Earth is murky, though as a powerful spirit, its not too hard to just imagine him carrying it off.

Sauron saw the might of Pharazon and feigned surrender and bent the knee. The ring never went to Numenor. Sauron then corrupted the Numenoreans just by being Sauron. Also the nazgul were a thing by this point.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one can resist the lord of all twinks, Sauron, the ultimate powerbottom

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Burns posted:

Sauron saw the might of Pharazon and feigned surrender and bent the knee. The ring never went to Numenor. Sauron then corrupted the Numenoreans just by being Sauron. Also the nazgul were a thing by this point.

"Though reduced to a 'spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of domination minds now largely depended."
[The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien #211)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Randarkman posted:

Yes, I understand that, but I don't really think Sandler was defrauding Sony, I think Sony were all in on the lovely movies he was making. It was a money funneling operation and Sony was as much a part of it as Sandler himself.

Totally, but sometimes it's nice to pretend the dark overlords of the non Spiderman Spiderman cinematic universe are suffering in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"Though reduced to a 'spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of domination minds now largely depended."
[The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien #211)

Fine, just checked wiki. You win this nerd-off.