Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Think about the dragon aerie boss fight, thats a good beast fight because you use the geography. But it isn't hard, its just another gimmick. Straight up open arena ankle smashing brawls are boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

acyclicity posted:

Agreed. The best bosses (Sir Alonne, Fume Knight, Ivory King, etc.) were all just armored dudes. The bad bosses were bad because they were recycled from the previous game or just lazy gimmicks.

I really don't enjoy fighting giant shambling things, where you have to wrestle the camera and can't tell what's a hitbox and what isn't, but dragons are mostly fine. They have the same kind of consistency that humanoid bosses do.

The Souls games can do good monster fights, like the Blood-Starved Beast and the Sanctuary Guardian are fantastic. They are harder to design well, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sanctuary Guardian might be the pick of the “beast type”. Everyone always forgets that guy but he’s one of the tightest and best fights in the series imo

These games have a recurring issue where they want to make the (particularly non-humanoid) bosses really big and imposing, but the gameplay actually works much better when they’re like, two or three times the player’s height at most. Like Midir is incredibly impressive looking and they nailed the look they were going for, but also incredibly tedious to fight because he’s so big you can’t keep up with him and you can’t hit him in the right spot except when he obligingly lowers his head into your reach.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Midir, they just had to get rid of the loving downward flame. Thats horse poo poo. You already got the loving beam.

Sanctuary Guardian is so forgettable to me, I even had to google it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's some that sort of mix the qualities of human and monstrous bosses, many coincidentally being demonic in form. Flamelurker being one of the earliest examples, and it's really common in Bloodborne for obvious reasons.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

skasion posted:

Sanctuary Guardian might be the pick of the “beast type”. Everyone always forgets that guy but he’s one of the tightest and best fights in the series imo

Very tough very, but yeah like you said its more fluid and fun than some giant enemies

it reminds me of a Maneater

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

all the beast bosses are great as long as they dont have the "charge through you with a 3x as large hitbox" attack

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

skasion posted:

These games have a recurring issue where they want to make the (particularly non-humanoid) bosses really big and imposing, but the gameplay actually works much better when they’re like, two or three times the player’s height at most. Like Midir is incredibly impressive looking and they nailed the look they were going for, but also incredibly tedious to fight because he’s so big you can’t keep up with him and you can’t hit him in the right spot except when he obligingly lowers his head into your reach.

The large dragon/monster/beast fights are at their worst when you are just sitting around wailing at their ankles/asses. Usually while the camera freaks out. Gaping dragon, ancient dragon, giant lord, amygdala to name a few.

Sanctuary guardian is a good fight because its not too big but also its constantly repositioning while still facing and attacking the player. When you rush in you are going head on, which makes for a more engaging fight than biting the ankles. It also makes it annoying to cut the tail :argh:

Midir is the same way, and probably why its one of their better large monster fights. Yeah its annoying to constantly have to chase it down but once you learn the moves its very satisfying to run up and smack it in the face. Also yeah I agree the downward firebreath attack sucks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
midir sucks but he's close to being good, it's a very binary thing. Demon of Hatred is practically the same fight except not poo poo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If you want the best example of a good beast fight you should be talking about Ludwig or Blood-starved Beast. Both of those are easily on the level of any humanoid fight.

Dont know where to put Orphan because it starts out humanoid but turns into beast fight halfway through.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

codo27 posted:

Sanctuary Guardian is so forgettable to me, I even had to google it

:shrug:

I always found it memorable, and every time I watch a new person bumble through DS1 for the first time, the Sanctuary Guardian ends up being a pretty intense roadblock. Aside from like the Capra Demon and O&S it's the first time DS1 really knuckles down and tries to kick your rear end as a primer for the rest of the DLC.

AnEdgelord posted:

If you want the best example of a good beast fight you should be talking about Ludwig or Blood-starved Beast. Both of those are easily on the level of any humanoid fight.

Dont know where to put Orphan because it starts out humanoid but turns into beast fight halfway through.

Bloodborne has a lot of great beast/monster fights but it felt excessive to list off almost every boss in it. The only ones that really suck are the darkbeast fights like Paarl where the camera goes berserk trying to parse its body movements during a lockon.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
BSB works because its not that large. Really, I was thinking of really large bosses. Like when you get up to the amygdala size is when things start to fall apart. Ludwig is a fantastic fight. Its not quite too big and combines beast with a sword fight in the 2nd half. Just genius.

Demon of hatred is also good, agreed there. Just seems a bit out of place in a sekiro game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sanctuary Guardian is easy to remember because it's a manticore.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sanctuary guardian was pretty good but double sanctuary guardian was too many sanctuary guardians

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Communist Thoughts posted:

all the beast bosses are great as long as they dont have the "charge through you with a 3x as large hitbox" attack

Ah yes, the Plesioth special

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wish I had some encyclopedic knowledge of all my runs but I feel like I've never died more than once or twice to SG. I tend to remember the bosses I struggled with, like my first goes at NK and Gael for example

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When I got the platinum on DS3, I ended up beating most bosses solo through NG++ and my favorites, not necessarily saying the best gameplay but the most memorable without pissing me off, were the crawling princes, the Eldritch sludge in the O+S room, double-handed dracula on the snowy roofs, and the Storm King riding the dragon. The last one took a few attempts and bordered on frustrating, but it felt fair for a giant boss in the first half in that i could consistently defeat the dragon without BS. But as a multiphase battle with very discrete feels, plus the obviously insane arena and buildup.

Hoping for a shelob-size tarantula boss and that "lots of hands" is a running theme.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think that the "ankle stabbing" criticisms are on point and feel like the "big" boss battles should be a little more like Shadow of the Colossus when it comes to mechanics. I don't know how you do that with the DS game engine though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nuns with Guns posted:

Bloodborne has a lot of great beast/monster fights but it felt excessive to list off almost every boss in it. The only ones that really suck are the darkbeast fights like Paarl where the camera goes berserk trying to parse its body movements during a lockon.
Its really easy to not have camera fuckups in that bossfight: Paarl's the size of a barn and the only thing in that clearing, just hit him without locking on

the same goes for any giant bossfight, locking the camera (and your rolls) hurts way more than it helps

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Blaziken386 posted:

the same goes for any giant bossfight, locking the camera (and your rolls) hurts way more than it helps

I had a friend who beat all of DS1 without knowing you could lock on. At first, we all joked about how much it hindered him, but after DS3 I think it's the opposite.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
Man, I've always found lock on really handy. Being able to back up without turning around is incredibly useful on its own. It's got issues, and some fights- Midir- it doesn't help very much, but those fights the camera has issues regardless.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you people call me crazy for playing with keyboard and mouse but i sit here content with my 100% uptime high speed high precision free camera control

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had a friend who beat all of DS1 without knowing you could lock on. At first, we all joked about how much it hindered him, but after DS3 I think it's the opposite.

My brother told me never to lock on (he introduced me to the games) and I beat 1 and 2 without doing it but threw me off with Bloodborne since you have to do it for parrying (actually had to go practice on some ogres after I got stuck on Faither Gascoigne). Went back to it for 3. I'd say not locking on is better for the Souls games if you don't plan on parrying especially for the big bosses. Made bosses like Paarl and Ebrietas a much easier time for me than most of the folks posting in the thread seemed to be having on release because I was used to moving the camera in tandem with my character constantly from 1 and 2.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 19, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

giZm posted:

3X+3 in Woods is a really good spot to get your invasion on . Lots of chill fightclubs with almost no animation cancelers/move swappers, too, if you want to learn/practice PVP.
On my last attempt at ds3 when I finally beat it I had the most fun ever doing this for quite a few days. It's good even to keep a character that level just for this.

Lock on is useful but not locking on can help especially in pvp but what do I know I lose more than I win.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant wait til the new Armored Core drops and people mod those things into DS for taking on the giant bosses.

I remember having a demo of AC back on original PS or maybe PS2, and just completely bouncing off it like it was too to learn. Was I just a dumb kid or are they fairly complicated?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blaziken386 posted:

Its really easy to not have camera fuckups in that bossfight: Paarl's the size of a barn and the only thing in that clearing, just hit him without locking on

Locking on doesn't directional lock your dodges in Bloodborne and DS3 like it does in DeS and DS1 and it actually improves your movement in DS2 because 2 directional locks your normal movement and gives you omni-directional dodge rolls when you lock on. So that point is moot with Paarl in particular, but yes I do avoid locking on when actually fighting him. I don't know if it makes it that much better because the camera tends to get embedded in his mass anyway because he's big and he likes hopping around. Midir and the phase 1 of Nameless King are much better for unlocked combat because they're a lot easier to read react to.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m locking on all the time and no boss can defeat me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like when i decided to unlock for seathe and realized that if you're not cutting off the greatsword the fight is actually ridiculously easy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you gotta cut the greatsword though, it's the moonlight greatsword, you can't play a souls game without getting the moonlight greatsword

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also just throw some great combustions at his butt

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Lock on is useful but not locking on can help especially in pvp but what do I know I lose more than I win.
You are correct, not locking on and free aiming your attacks is a good thing in PVP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nuns with Guns posted:

Locking on doesn't directional lock your dodges in Bloodborne and DS3 like it does in DeS and DS1 and it actually improves your movement in DS2 because 2 directional locks your normal movement and gives you omni-directional dodge rolls when you lock on. So that point is moot with Paarl in particular, but yes I do avoid locking on when actually fighting him. I don't know if it makes it that much better because the camera tends to get embedded in his mass anyway because he's big and he likes hopping around. Midir and the phase 1 of Nameless King are much better for unlocked combat because they're a lot easier to read react to.
It doesn't direction-lock you, but locking on changes your rolls to dashes in Bloodborne, which are less useful against big swipe attacks.

he does like hopping around though, that's true. Whenever I fight him it's a tossup between him jumping around too much for me to hit him and killing me with lightning, or me breaking his legs and rendering the fight a joke before he can do anything

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Electromax posted:

When I got the platinum on DS3, I ended up beating most bosses solo through NG++ and my favorites, not necessarily saying the best gameplay but the most memorable without pissing me off, were the crawling princes, the Eldritch sludge in the O+S room, double-handed dracula on the snowy roofs, and the Storm King riding the dragon. The last one took a few attempts and bordered on frustrating, but it felt fair for a giant boss in the first half in that i could consistently defeat the dragon without BS. But as a multiphase battle with very discrete feels, plus the obviously insane arena and buildup.

Hoping for a shelob-size tarantula boss and that "lots of hands" is a running theme.

Gotta say. The Storm King is really one of the best and he has a sick unique weapon from his boss soul

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Groovelord Neato posted:

My brother told me never to lock on (he introduced me to the games) and I beat 1 and 2 without doing it but threw me off with Bloodborne since you have to do it for parrying

More importantly you have to lock on to use quick-step

codo27 posted:

Cant wait til the new Armored Core drops and people mod those things into DS for taking on the giant bosses.

I remember having a demo of AC back on original PS or maybe PS2, and just completely bouncing off it like it was too to learn. Was I just a dumb kid or are they fairly complicated?

I was 14 at the time and there was simply nothing else like them in videogames.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

More importantly you have to lock on to use quick-step

I was 14 at the time and there was simply nothing else like them in videogames.

Yeah, they weren't complicated compared to say MechWarrior on PC. But absolutely nothing compared on PS1. Especially as From was trying to work out console 3rd person/FPS controls in realtime.

The strange thing is they kept their wonky controls well into the PS2 era after the dual stick way was standardized

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

never did figure out how to use jumpjets in mechwarrior without shattering my legs but in my defense i was 5

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that the "ankle stabbing" criticisms are on point and feel like the "big" boss battles should be a little more like Shadow of the Colossus when it comes to mechanics. I don't know how you do that with the DS game engine though.

By bringing in the grapple hook from Sekiro, obviously.

Or more likely we can use the horse now to do mounted combat like in SotC.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, uh, no strategy guide for this game being published by Future Press or what-not? It's a month before release and google reveals nothing...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here's a strategy guide for you: my rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Try tongue, but hole