Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Futanari Damacy posted:

Easily remedied. The waffle seems like it could be easily detached and eaten afterward, that pepperoni looks too good to pass up. :yum:

That's fair, I wish that weird cup pepperoni was a common topping option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's fair, I wish that weird cup pepperoni was a common topping option

If a pizza doesn't have that type of pepperoni you can just throw it right in the trash.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Noted Italian Vinny Vinesauce reviewed our favorite mestre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkFlQ2vYaA

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TontoCorazon posted:

Noted Italian Vinny Vinesauce reviewed our favorite mestre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkFlQ2vYaA

He skipped over the best part :argh: Which is when he imparts the plastic trash fired aroma we all crave

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this anonymous confession fits with the spirit of the thread imo

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1483792619608154115?s=20

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the worst would be Pizza Hut because it's not even a pan pizza. It looks indistinguishable from their regular one. The only difference is they charge you more for it.

It must depend on the specific locations. Pizza Hut pan is the best chain one where I live. Dominos is like raw dough in a pan without any sauce.

There's this place in my town called Lost Pizza Co. who has a pizza called Diablo. It's not so much that it's bad, but the little bit of spice it has comes from pickled jalapenos on it. I'd like it if they named it something else, but with a name like Diablo I expect it to be absurdly spicy and that it aint.

CLAM DOWN posted:

weird way to spell Pizza Pizza

you got me there. Pan pizza pizza. It's kinda like when people say queso cheese. Doesn't even hablo.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I've always found the secret of Domino's was to request well done. To be honest, in my area you should request well done from virtually every pizza place. Otherwise you won't get any char whatsoever, barely even any browning. I assume this is because everyone is trying to imitate Pizza Pizza.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Zushio posted:

I've always found the secret of Domino's was to request well done. To be honest, in my area you should request well done from virtually every pizza place. Otherwise you won't get any char whatsoever, barely even any browning. I assume this is because everyone is trying to imitate Pizza Pizza.

I don't eat domino's but this is the way. WD has to be on the slip or the box. I'm talking nyc pizza here, where there's a bit more focus on turnover than cooking to perfection. I also think pizza tends to lean soft because it's common for children and elderly to eat, so "well done" is what makes a pizza reach its ideal state.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

What sort of monster would begrudge an emergency pizzaectomy?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Removal of my pizza? I would!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-2YZiZCjo
The whole segment.
Vinny's reactions to Batepapo's madness is great

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Zushio posted:

Yeah, we always do this for our cheap pizza nights, and forgot to ask for them well done once and it was horrible lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
There's a pizza place called Pizza Pizza? Isn't that Little Caesars' slogan? You'd think they would fight over it.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the worst would be Pizza Hut because it's not even a pan pizza. It looks indistinguishable from their regular one. The only difference is they charge you more for it.

Your local Hut was loving with you. I worked there for about a year back in my college days and the pan pizza was cooked in a deep dish pan with a ton of oil and came out with a deep fried texture, totally different from the normal crust.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 20, 2022

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

PH changed the recipe in 2019, it’s not as good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Devils Affricate posted:

There's a pizza place called Pizza Pizza? Isn't that Little Caesars' slogan? You'd think they would fight over it.

Your local Hut was loving with you. I worked there for about a year back in my college days and the pan pizza was cooked in a deep dish pan with a ton of oil and came out with a deep fried texture, totally different from the normal crust.

It's possible. This Pizza Hut used to have the pan pizza like you described but as of a few years ago, it's as I described. It could be local but I've had other people in different areas tell me the same.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Devils Affricate posted:

That's the Pizza Hut I'm familiar with. I can't recall how long it's been since I've had it so if they've hosed it up since then, that'll be unfortunate.
I'll have to try requesting well done at other places.

Most of the time I just make one at home using the premade dough that comes in a can kinda like biscuits.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jose posted:

Couldn't you just rotate the box 180 and do another brake slam? Then you wouldn't have to get your hands greasy.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, it's a Canadian chain. The name being the same as the Little Caesars slogan confused the hell out of me as a kid.

As for Pizza Pizza, it's about as basic a pizza as you can get. It's not bad, but it's certainly not something I'd ever go out of my way to order. They have lots of options for topping and sauce, but it is all bland and under cooked. They sometimes have pretty good deals and they are the only Pizza Place open until 2 or 3 AM in this area. One of the older running jokes is along the lines of "Sure the pizza is middling, but you can get fries with it!". I haven't had Pizza Hut in years, but remember them being extremely pricey compared to Pizza Pizza, Domino's and Little Caesars.

My Tier List of Cheap Chain Pizza

S-Tier
Little Caesars Crazy Bread
Godfathers (Ontario chain, very few locations, fantastic, unrelated to the American afaik)

A Tier
Dominos Regular
Little Caesars Pan/Deep Dish

B Tier
Dominos Pan/Deep Dish
Pizza Pizza (if ordered well done, cheese on top of other toppings)

C Tier
Little Caesars Hot and Ready

D Tier
Pizza Pizza (any other option)

Zushio fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 20, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol I thought folks were just using Pizza Pizza as a euphemism.

I forget if I posted about it here or somewhere else, but I used to get Little Caesar's occasionally and thought it was fine in a cheap kinda way. Then sometime last year I got one after quite a while of only having other pizzas, and it tasted like the nastiest chemical poo poo, I could only manage like half a slice. I don't know if that's just how LC's really is or if it was in some sort of industrial accident, but I haven't had the nerve to try one side.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pizza Pizza pizza is the embodiment of a cost price battle between the corporate office and their franchisees where the guaranteed loser is always the lazy, low standards having pizza eater because it was more convenient to eat their bland cardboard crust than to try and remember a different delivery number or to walk another half block away from the street corner. Things got so bad for a while that on the companies 50th anniversary, a grand hallmark, the only discount corporate could force on the stores was like 10% off a second reheated sat out all day slice (pepperoni or cheese ONLY) if you bought a drink. It was pathetic. Their only real innovation in pizza was inventing ways to get the customer to destroy their pizza box because franchisees were notorious for fishing them out of the trash on garbage days and re-selling untraceable pizzas in dirty boxes but the company only cared as corp didn’t get their cut of those trash slices.

I still eat there more than reasonable as I was raised on that bland taste of lukewarm sub mediocrity.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol I thought folks were just using Pizza Pizza as a euphemism.

I forget if I posted about it here or somewhere else, but I used to get Little Caesar's occasionally and thought it was fine in a cheap kinda way. Then sometime last year I got one after quite a while of only having other pizzas, and it tasted like the nastiest chemical poo poo, I could only manage like half a slice. I don't know if that's just how LC's really is or if it was in some sort of industrial accident, but I haven't had the nerve to try one side.

I had the same experience. Hadn’t had them in years but remembered them being ok cheap pizza. I got the fuckable cheese calzone pizza recently and it tasted like chemical. Also the garlic cheese sauce on it had the consistency of snot which made me gag.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Zushio posted:

My Tier List of Cheap Chain Pizza

S-Tier
Little Caesars Crazy Bread
Godfathers (Ontario chain, very few locations, fantastic, unrelated to the American afaik)

A Tier
Dominos Regular
Little Caesars Pan/Deep Dish

B Tier
Dominos Pan/Deep Dish
Pizza Pizza (if ordered well done, cheese on top of other toppings)

C Tier
Little Caesars Hot and Ready

D Tier
Pizza Pizza (any other option)

My issue with this is that Hot and Ready is ranked lower than I think it should be. yea, walking down the street and popping in to grab whatever is in the warmer can get ya subpar, but if you're gonna be near and wanna grab one as soon as it's done and order it you'll get a pretty good pizza for less than 7 dollars. If I ever go over to the street with the closest one I can pop an order for an extramostbestest pep when I get where I'm going and snag it fresh out as I go back by. But, it's also a convinience thing here. I don't wanna wait for food when someone picks me up from the gym or something and I'm hungry and i'd rather eat mediocre-good than wait half hour or more to get something and I don't normally gently caress with fast food because the amount of time it takes to go through and order stuff is about the same as if I micro some instant ramen and dump chili, cheese, sausage, peppers, broccoli, or any number of other things in for like $3 to get full.

Also, Godfather's?? I am not sure how unrelated it is. That brand started here alil south from me in Omaha, it's not widely known in the states outside the midwest i think. I looked it up Godfathers and Godfather's are seperate entities.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now that I'm in Florida I've been pretty happy with Five Star Pizza. I gather they're very focused to this region but they seem to have a lot of locations, and it's pretty drat tasty.

My ür-pizza however will always be Round Table. Nothing ever, ever tastes as good to me as RT does, and my first stop whenever I go back to California to visit is some Round Table on the way home from the airport. (Mountain Mike's is actually a very close simulacrum flavor-wise, but it too is only in CA, dammit.)

I'm always cagey about evangelizing it to people because it's expensive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the best part about Pizza Pizza is their garlic sauce

if you know, you know

Zushio
May 8, 2008

nesamdoom posted:

*Hot and Ready chat*

Also, Godfather's?? I am not sure how unrelated it is. That brand started here alil south from me in Omaha, it's not widely known in the states outside the midwest i think. I looked it up Godfathers and Godfather's are seperate entities.

I only rank the Hot and Ready at C because of personal taste and quality of leftovers. I can't eat an entire pizza in one sitting, so how well it eats cold or reheats is important to me. Little Ceasars turns hard and nasty cold, and doesn't reheat well with any method. So buying one is inevitably a couple of okay slices followed by a bunch I have no interest in.

The Godfathers I'm familiar with doesn't even have consistent spelling regarding the apostrophe. The website claims they were founded a year before the American chain (http://godfatherspizza.ca/). It also doesn't list any American locations. They also have a hilariously dated logo and specialty pizzas named after the Ninja Turtles (or, as an adult, Italian artists...).

Also, in the spirit of Pizza Pizza I present one of the much anticipated yearly special items we can all enjoy again soon!

Please note, these are only available on and around Valentines Day. That is an official promotional image. The Heart Pizza coming back is such a huge thing for Ontario residents that local news media will run stories about its return every year. In the paper, online, and even on the TV news. Literally every single one of my friends that have relationships has bought one at some point, on Valentines day, unironically as a romantic gesture.

I have never even seen one in person.

CLAM DOWN posted:

the best part about Pizza Pizza is their garlic sauce

if you know, you know

This is true, most of the dips are pretty good and they have like 15 options if you count the Carmel sauce, icing and sweet ones they offer.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 20, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Canadian fast food chains have the weirdest thirst about their American counterparts/nemeses. A&W is pretty funny, it's this massive thing in Canada now but I remember it being pretty widespread in the US when I was a kid; their big deal was their root beer, and burgers were a sideshow. Now they've completely disappeared from the US but in Canada you'd never imagine they came from somewhere else.

Once when I was in Toronto around 2000, I went to the Yorkdale Mall food court for lunch with some friends, and I got KFC. On the box it said, and I swear to loving God:

"The first Kentucky Fried Chicken was opened in Calgary in 1956. Since then, ..."

Not a hint of a word that it originated outside Canada. I constantly kick myself for not keeping the box or taking a picture of it or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Canucky Fried Chicken

e: Eh&W

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A&W are still around in America but I'm pretty sure they're mostly in combination places. Like the one in my area is combined with a Long John Silver's.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Zushio posted:

I only rank the Hot and Ready at C because of personal taste and quality of leftovers. I can't eat an entire pizza in one sitting, so how well it eats cold or reheats is important to me. Little Ceasars turns hard and nasty cold, and doesn't reheat well with any method. So buying one is inevitably a couple of okay slices followed by a bunch I have no interest in.

I've mostly only had Lil Ceasars when I was on a 6000 cal diet daily so a large pizza on a ride across town wasn't an issue. never have had left overs save a couple times i put the cheese/jalap sauce on a slice or two in the morning.

muscles like this! posted:

A&W are still around in America but I'm pretty sure they're mostly in combination places. Like the one in my area is combined with a Long John Silver's.

I know a couple built into gas stations or in combo locations. They kick rear end for a rootbeer float, but everything else is kinda lacking. If malls weren't dying off they'd have a nice niche there. As is I'd rather get a couple burritos and micro them or grab a few slices from the warmer at the gas station side and get a float to go for the ride.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Can confirm that there are A&W's all over the place in Ontario at least. They still don't have ice. It's genuinely delicious food for the most part. We got A&W in 1954 (opened in 1919), but didn't get McDonald's until 1967 (opened in 1955). Basically the entire Boomer Generation has a massive nostalgia for the chain and it has continued to be good enough with a distinct flavour that later generations remained fans. The Onion Rings are a perennial favourite. I asked, all the stores get a Bear Costume still, but they barely ever get to use it now. The Burger Family is the primary mascots.

Come to think of it, I see more ads for A&W than I do for McDonald's. They've had a long running campaign featuring the same guy for ages! Usually he shows up unexpectedly in a public place, or at a random A&W restaurant in place of a normal server to demo new items/recipes. He's kind of like a less threatening Burger King, very charming and well spoken. Just a normal guy excited about grass-fed beef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0MsGnYZK7E

The Colonel lived in Mississauga, Ontario from the mid-60's until his death in 1980. We loved that guy almost as much as America does. I vaguely remember those "Story of KFC" boxes, but I always thought they included the words "Outside of the United States".

Zushio fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zushio posted:

The Colonel lived in Mississauga, Ontario from the mid-60's until his death in 1980. We loved that guy almost as much as America does. I vaguely remember those "Story of KFC" boxes, but I always thought they included the words "Outside of the United States".

I remember reading it over and over like a dozen times because I was sure I was missing that bit somehow.

Maybe they changed it eventually.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I remember reading it over and over like a dozen times because I was sure I was missing that bit somehow.

Maybe they changed it eventually.

Who knows! The current branding includes it for sure. At least you didn't get a PFK box that got shipped to the wrong region. Thanks Quebec!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A retro Scott’s Chicken Villa Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket would have blown this guys mind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

A&Ws are everywhere in Vancouver too, seems to be the most common fast food burger place. It's decent quality too compared to alternatives!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's weird, years and years ago the US A&Ws were a rare treat to visit that I always enjoyed, but in the last decade or so every one I've been to has been very low tier on the burg side, just low quality lukewarm messes. Turns out their last corporate reacquisition was in 2011, I think when they started combining locations with other fast food joints...coincidence? :tinfoil:

Also while researching that I found out the :canada: and :911: franchises have been completely separate since the early 70s, so no wonder if they happen to have completely different quality levels.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

A&W in Canada has survived purely out of marketing itself as some upscale bougie fast food alternative that suburbanites can get to make themselves feel superior to the plebs that eat at McDonald's.

The only time I got Pizza Pizza was when I went to a Jays game during their mid 00s lull and they had some ridiculously promotion where if they got on base three times or some stupid thing you could get a free slice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

italian quid posted:

A&W in Canada has survived purely out of marketing itself as some upscale bougie fast food alternative that suburbanites can get to make themselves feel superior to the plebs that eat at McDonald's.

lmao what, you're insane

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

lmao what, you're insane

It's overpriced crap 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid a family friend used to own an a&w franchise here in Vermont, they sold a while ago but it's still an a&w, not open year round but it's busy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird, years and years ago the US A&Ws were a rare treat to visit that I always enjoyed, but in the last decade or so every one I've been to has been very low tier on the burg side, just low quality lukewarm messes.

I think 2000/2010s is roughly when the few places I know dropped in how good the food was. I'd still not pass one by in the summer with my kid kuz i'm sure he will love a rootbeer float(afaik he's never had soda, my rule so i dunno if his mum stuck to it after we split).