Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

stev posted:

So was the buzz yesterday about the 54 letters being sent just not true?

I think that because one of them defected a bunch of them bottled it in case they got associated with him and withdrew their letters

E: also lol that this defection has immediately created a load of labour infighting and that's drowning out what a poo poo job Boris did at PMQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

what a bunch of cunts

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hmm and here's my naive rear end believing a history of being a literal tory mp should maybe be somewhat of a barrier to entry for the Labour Party

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1483851977507409933?t=ZWUp8sACI6TaMW2OIJETlw&s=19

Entirely Predictable Labour Bullshit, Part 37747473

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Catzilla posted:

They’ve bottled it, it seems. On the radio it’s being reported that some are withdrawing their letters.

I expect they reckon they won't win the subsequent vote until after the Grey report, and are being tactical. After the report they're gonna hold a finger to the air and see if people are still pissed and send in the letters if they are.

Downing Street will be gambling that by delaying it long enough people will have forgotten.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Hahahaha! Christian Wakeford on Sky News saying his politics haven't changed, that he's "still a moderate and a centrist but with a different colour rosette"... Thanks for saying the quiet part out loud, Chris. Amazing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Prole posted:

Hahahaha! Christian Wakeford on Sky News saying his politics haven't changed, that he's "still a moderate and a centrist but with a different colour rosette"... Thanks for saying the quiet part out loud, Chris. Amazing.

Love too moderately deport black people in a centrist manner for the blue red politics team.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Bug Squash posted:

I expect they reckon they won't win the subsequent vote until after the Grey report, and are being tactical. After the report they're gonna hold a finger to the air and see if people are still pissed and send in the letters if they are.

Downing Street will be gambling that by delaying it long enough people will have forgotten.

It's looking like a decent flex from a bunch of new entrants into the tories. They've realised that Boris will try to buy his way out of any difficulties and that he is to be operated in the same fashion as a piñata.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
From the other thread

gonadic io posted:

the knives are coming out and it owns

lol

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Can't seem to find that tweet.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Gonzo McFee posted:

From the other thread

lol

Just incredible. Rake after rake after rake...

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Chunder is such a quality word.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Makes u think…

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jiggerypokery posted:

UK anti-encryption campaign website lol https://noplacetohide.org.uk/

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Prole posted:

Can't seem to find that tweet.

They deleted it after everyone pointed out they were admitting yet another party during lockdown for the Tory party

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

From the replies, in a chain about "you can be pure or you can be power" v. "How does having two interchangeable centrist parties help advance left wing politics?"

https://twitter.com/captain_leon/status/1483848451628666885?t=LSEhUqrMHJkhmhvmEMofMg&s=19

Ah yes, that period when New Labour famously dragged British politics and culture to the left??? I seem to remember them slavishly scuttling ever rightwards and cranking up the racism dial in search of approval from the red-tops. What planet are these people on/from? :psyduck:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

a pipe smoking dog posted:

They deleted it after everyone pointed out they were admitting yet another party during lockdown for the Tory party

Lol share the gently caress out of it imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"the very default right leanings of this country" usually means "the most popular papers always spout right wing bollocks" as if most people buy a paper or get their views from there or do much else than read the latest outrage/celebrity misfortune/sports.

It's like when TERFs come out with "98% of people agree with us" as if every single person who is not trans or questioning is fully onboard the glinner train about gametes based pronouns or whatever they're going on about today.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hey, I heard that some Tories are considering defecting to Labour! Has Esq. Alexander de Pfeffel from Uxbridge applied yet? He seems like a sympathetic man of the people and one who could eventually challenge Starmer from the left...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

From the replies, in a chain about "you can be pure or you can be power" v. "How does having two interchangeable centrist parties help advance left wing politics?"

https://twitter.com/captain_leon/status/1483848451628666885?t=LSEhUqrMHJkhmhvmEMofMg&s=19

Ah yes, that period when New Labour famously dragged British politics and culture to the left??? I seem to remember them slavishly scuttling ever rightwards and cranking up the racism dial in search of approval from the red-tops. What planet are these people on/from? :psyduck:

It's literally just Sure Starts and other things that current Labour wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Things like Iraq, setting up the groundwork for what would become the Hostile Environment and playing adverts 24 hours a day encouraging you to spy on your neighbours to grass on them for making £20 on the side while collecting benefits is conveniently forgotten.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Hey, I heard that some Tories are considering defecting to Labour! Has Esq. Alexander de Pfeffel from Uxbridge applied yet? He seems like a sympathetic man of the people and one who could eventually challenge Starmer from the left...

They've certainly pulled out the chair for him

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

:golfclap:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
This lad Jonathan Gullis, venerable MP for Stoke-on-Trent, on Channel4 News actually just called him "Christian Wokeford" while in the middle of a Trump-style free association rap about immigrants and Talking Down Britane. You love to see it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Woke-on-Trent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But I have been assured it is very important that we stay in labour and fight, you have to give money to get every tory MP that starmer likes elected or the left will never have a voice!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jiggerypokery posted:

UK anti-encryption campaign website lol https://noplacetohide.org.uk/

quote:

We are not opposed to end-to-encryption in principle and fully support the importance of strong user privacy. Instead, our campaign is calling for social media companies to work with us to find a solution that protects privacy, without putting children at even greater risk.

We keep asking social media companies to change the laws of mathematics for us, but they keep refusing! SO unfair!

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

But I have been assured it is very important that we stay in labour and fight, you have to give money to get every tory MP that starmer likes elected or the left will never have a voice!

No yeah, oh no, of course! You have to stay in the party in order to be ready to put pressure on party HQ about the possibility that the NEC may be open to allowing the election of someone who might speak out for some kind of selection process that members - you - could, maybe, take part in if you haven't been suspended yet for wanting this. But you can't actually put pressure on the party HQ yet or you'll be suspended. So wait a bit and maybe, you never know, in a couple of years, the left may have a bit of a resurgence in the party to, like, you know, put pressure on HQ, or something. You never know. £3 a month, I think. That's all. For literally nothing. Paying to be abused and accused by rancid cargo cult blairite spads and failed council candidates who know where the bodies are buried.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

Them not taking the 7 year deferment of free movement from accession countries because "Britain is too white" in 2004 is perhaps their #2 on governing blunders. Iraq being #1.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Burn it to the loving ground.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In the SNP every candidate gets re-selected by their constituency before each election. Seems to work ok, doesn't cause any crazy drama. Labour should try it.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This lad Jonathan Gullis, venerable MP for Stoke-on-Trent, on Channel4 News actually just called him "Christian Wokeford" while in the middle of a Trump-style free association rap about immigrants and Talking Down Britane. You love to see it

Skull Servant posted:

More like Christian WOKEford!!!

Maybe there are people lurking the thread :tinfoil:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bleeding labour so dry by everyone leaving that they will welcome back margeret thatcher's smouldering ashes to be the mp for Bury-on-Hell is rather loving funny tho.

I don't think its getting us closer to left wing policies in power, but honestly what the gently caress is? At least it's showing labour and centrists up to be exactly what they are. Bereft of policy, soul, honesty, integrity and hope.

Burn it all down and rebuild from the ashes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The anti-encryption ad this piece talks about in this with the glass box sounds like a Chris Morris bit

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/17/emotive-anti-encryption-ad-campaign/

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Ahahaha the defection was a Starmer Special, no need to check with anyone in the know

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60062632

quote:

The deal was sealed after he met Sir Keir on Monday night.

Some shadow ministers told me they had had no whiff of his intentions until Tuesday night, so the operation was conducted well under the political radar.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Meeting serkeef in person? Bit risky, he'll be needing a covid test

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marmaduke! posted:

Meeting serkeef in person? Bit risky, he'll be needing a covid test

It's only risky if the glass cube meeting room becomes opaque

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 19, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's only risky of the glass cube meeting room becomes opaque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

https://twitter.com/gabundy/status/1483917932287729669?t=9nSAXGwSKEK88Kevs3rBNQ&s=19

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That's alarmingly believable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Got to love the very tiny "No Momentum members" written down there