Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

haveblue posted:

If you get up at 5AM and it's not for work you are clinically insane sorry

I can sort of understand if they wake up at 5am to be ready for work throughout the rest of the week - waking up at the same time every day is good sleep hygiene and will make your life a little easier. When I was waking up and 545am to hit the gym before work I had a ton of trouble sleeping part 630 on my rest days. Deciding that you’re going to bounce between 5 days of waking up at 5am and 2 days of waking at 9am is going to make the first few days of the work week miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Dramatika posted:

Deciding that you’re going to bounce between 5 days of waking up at 5am and 2 days of waking at 9am is going to make the first few days of the work week miserable.

i mean,

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dramatika posted:

I can sort of understand if they wake up at 5am to be ready for work throughout the rest of the week - waking up at the same time every day is good sleep hygiene and will make your life a little easier. When I was waking up and 545am to hit the gym before work I had a ton of trouble sleeping part 630 on my rest days. Deciding that you’re going to bounce between 5 days of waking up at 5am and 2 days of waking at 9am is going to make the first few days of the work week miserable.

That is literally what jetlag is. I have no idea why people would willingly give themselves jetlag twice a week.

In other news, oh no Cinderella don't escape to the castle!

AITA for moving in with my half sister just because our dad will pay our rent?

quote:

My mom raised my brother and I on her own. She told me that my dad had been a drug addict and she wanted to get away from him. My bother's dad was always in his life and he got better things than I ever did. It always sucked, I know his dad had no obligation to help me but my mom would always buy me the cheapest stuff and buy him great things. She would say that it was his dad's money that she was spending on him. for context, once I got a pair of socks as gifts while he got the latest toy. My mom forced me to get a part time job in high school to help with the bills while letting my brother focus on his studies and interest. It really sucked as I was always tired from work and school, I didn't go to college because mom wanted me to help her out.

I found my dad through my uncle, I found him before the pandemic. He has been sober for a long time. He has a family of his own, he was surprised when I reached out but we verified that we are related. We have been talking the last two years and he is cool. I have talked to my sisters and they are really nice too, I can't describe it but I instantly fit into their sibling dynamic.

My sister is moving out and my dad is going to pay her rent. She asked if I wanted to move in with her. I thought about it and I agreed to it. I want to go to college but my mom is asking me to work for one more year as she is struggling financially. She has said she would start charging me rent if I go to college. I don't want to load up on debt and moving in with my sister would help me a lot. I moved in with my sister last month. It is really nice not to care about rent and I know it is greedy but It makes me feel loved that someone is willing to pay my rent when they can spent on something else.

Things didn't go well with my family. My mom accused me of abandoning her the second my dad showed up. My brother called me a gold digger and said I shouldn't expect any help from them if anything happens. My mom is struggling to pay her mortgage and my brother had to cut back his course load to help mom out. I feel really guilty for putting them in a horrible position.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Like my brother-in-law who honestly thought he could leave his laundry outside the door of his college dorm to be returned washed and folded and was loving shocked when it just disappeared instead.

Don't tantalize us like this. Details, please!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

vonnegutt posted:

Y'all don't have breakfast casserole where you're from? There's a lot of different kinds but most involve some kind of egg and potato product. There's also strata which is like savory French toast, so egg and bread. Hash brown casserole is pretty basic but you can get really involved adding sausage, peppers, cheese, etc.

Yeah, I looked it up: hooray for those cute linguistic differences. For me 'casserole' would be a stew; meat and veg, cooked in the oven and served with huge amounts of mashed potato aaaaaaaand now I'm hungry. A little rich for breakfast though lol.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

mediaphage posted:

wanted to post this extremely depressing addition. the guy's really been desperate for help for years

Yikes, just divorce

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Funktastic posted:

AITA for making breakfast way before my kids wake up?

Got a strong 2014 Cadillac ad vibe from this power couple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

Not their kids tho, but they can deal with cold food imo.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone would mind a multi-paragraph detailed version of this story even if it's not on topic for the thread.

e: I want to know specifically how long after it was stolen did he still think his mystery servants were still washing it?

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 19, 2022

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
edit: poo poo forgot to hit refresh

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There's not much else to tell. He went to a state school in New York just like his older brother and my spouse, both of whom told him that it just doesn't work like that. He did it anyway and his poo poo went missing. Even a pair of those stupid loving boat shoes he had, and I don't know what the hell he expected the SUNY laundry service to do with them

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

uh they're called sperrys, thanks

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

There's not much else to tell. He went to a state school in New York just like his older brother and my spouse, both of whom told him that it just doesn't work like that. He did it anyway and his poo poo went missing. Even a pair of those stupid loving boat shoes he had, and I don't know what the hell he expected the SUNY laundry service to do with them

Is he diagnosed with being dumb?

Edit: "Your son tested positive for dumb. He's what we refer to as medically stupid."

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Tsaedje posted:

Getting up at 5am on a weekend in order to have more time to do self imposed chores, and one of those is making breakfast for people who aren't up so it can be passive aggressively left cold for them because they're not up as early as she thinks they should be. She could easily just not make breakfast for them.
She added on that they would rather have leftovers than cereal but would rather have fresh breakfast than reheated breakfast. So her not cooking for them at all would be a worse scenario for them.

This a little tough for me because if mom and dad wake up at 5 having them wait til 9 for breakfast is way too long and it's nice to have an occasional meal without kids but I do really like nice sit down family meals too. I think a good compromise would be mom and dad do their fancy early breakfast together on Saturdays and then a nice family brunch on Sundays.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Is there anywhere that works like this? Extra fancy hotels? Boarding schools?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah it's called Mommy's House

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Hotel doesn't even have to be that fancy. Every one I've ever worked at has had laundry and dry cleaning pick up be a thing night audit does while dropping off receipts under the doors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jaxts posted:

Hotel doesn't even have to be that fancy. Every one I've ever worked at has had laundry and dry cleaning pick up be a thing night audit does while dropping off receipts under the doors.

Don't you at least have to tell the front desk you'd like the laundry to be done, not just leave the bag out in the hall and forget about it?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Did that lady mention anywhere that weekend mornings are the only time they had for family meals together? Some people might have special memories of Saturday breakfast with mom and dad but not every family is the same. It sounds like the parents are giving them the option of doing their own thing, if they want to.

The kids know if they want breakfast served hot they can get up early, and if they want to sleep in they can have leftovers. They're old enough to set the alarms on their cell phones and to learn that life is full of little compromises like this.

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008

haveblue posted:

Don't you at least have to tell the front desk you'd like the laundry to be done, not just leave the bag out in the hall and forget about it?

We provided special bags labled as laundry and inside was a form to fill out to confirm what they were leaving for us and what they wanted done to it.

Sometimes people called ahead or dropped it off at the desk, but most of my regulars just popped it outside before going to bed and I picked it up at 3am when doing my rounds.

I've only ever worked extended stay hotels though, so I'm not sure how other kinds go about it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Damien goes around each morning and picks those up, I thought. But only in Dutch Quad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

haveblue posted:

If you get up at 5AM and it's not for work you are clinically insane sorry

holy poo poo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

Probably because I was expected to help in the kitchen from as soon as I could stand up and by age 12 was expected to completely cook one meal a week for the family. I had to look through a cookbook, choose a main dish and sides, and add the ingredients to the grocery list on Sunday. Then on Thursday I was expected to prepare dinner. I always made enchiladas. By the time I was in high school, Mom had delegated 3 nights to us kids.

I had a similar upbringing, though the milestone of "You should make dinner once a week" was probably age 14. I made a lot of spaghetti bolognese and chili. When my closest sister got older, she often went for stir fry on her nights.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

RoboRodent posted:

I had a similar upbringing, though the milestone of "You should make dinner once a week" was probably age 14. I made a lot of spaghetti bolognese and chili. When my closest sister got older, she often went for stir fry on her nights.

The enchiladas I made were basically ground beef + enchilada sauce. I also made a spaghetti sauce: ground beef + jarred marinara. I'm sensing a theme here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

cold pancakes are tasty

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How the hell do you spend $20K on a lab-grown diamond?

AITA for reading my daughter's diary and then planning to kick her out like she apparently wants?

Just gonna make my daughter's intrusive thoughts she wrote down in private come true! Nothing bad could happen here.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for making a scene in public?

quote:

My boyfriend & I were vacuuming the car at the gas station. He asked to see his phone, and when I handed it to him a few seconds later HE PUTS THE VACUUM LITERALLY ON MY FACE. Literally right next to my lips. Not even a full inch away from my lips. I freak out and try and smack his phone out of his hand and scream what the gently caress.

He tells me it’s a joke and how I’m overreacting and yelling in public. I won’t lie I’ve been feeling sick for the past couple days so I’ve been semi-emotional so I started crying because all I can think about is that nasty rear end thing that never gets washed and has been vacuuming up bullshit literally being on my face.

My boyfriend has stated I’ve created an issue and how he would never act like that, how it was a joke and how he will only be serious with me from now on. How he was just trying to make a funny tik tok. How he can’t joke with me. I feel like an rear end now, did I overreact? AITA?

EDIT: i got my booster a couple days ago and have been having a rough time. like laying on the cold tile floor to snap out of my dizzy/nausea & fever. I’ve been having bad headaches. it’s made me semi emotional because I’ve just been feeling like poo poo and it’s been super hard on me. today was supposed to be getting fresh air and trying to feel better. Not that it’s any excuse for me reacting the way I did, I just wanted to explain why I was semi-emotional already.

EDIT #2: he wants to post it and honestly i don’t have the energy to argue so if you see it on tik tok don’t like it please

quote:

Yeah he always says something completely awful is a joke but I’m never laughing

:sever:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

poisonpill posted:

How did this work for you growing up? Did you resent it? Do you feel like it made you more confident and able to actually feed yourself as an adult?
We all had to cook once a week as teens. It's annoying but so is being an adult and cooking (yeah I cook now but still don't particularly enjoy it). It's no surprise how many stories come out of failchildren in their 20s+ that can't do simple things, if their parents never asked them to learn how to do basic chores before leaving home.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mx. posted:

I was about to post this. Anyways she should make a tik tok setting all his stuff on fire and dumping him.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
my wish for the new year is the end of "pranking my girlfriend" videos

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Remember when guys had to hide how awful they were so girls wouldn’t dump them? The collapse of standards in dating partners is exactly matching the rise of prank TikTok’s, so the equilibrium is being maintained

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mx. posted:

Hey if he's old enough this guy can swap places with the sad man married to the zero-sum lady.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Beachcomber posted:

Some colleges do this. It costs extra, of course, and you need to like, set up an account with the laundry service, so he's still an idiot.

AITA for drinking to much juice?

quote:

I know this sounds petty but she is really upset. Would you be upset if your significant other drank a majority of the juice if you only had one cup? I bought Apple juice when I went grocery shopping last week. We just opened it yesterday and my girlfriend (24f) had only had one cup of it so far while I have had multiple. (25f) She decided yesterday to give up soda so in her defense her options are now limited she says. In the fridge we only had the apple juice, soda options and Arizona juice and bottled water. She said the Arizona juice she couldn’t drink no more because she saw stuff floating in it which is understandable. I will be going to the store tomorrow to get more juice and other things she will be able to drink. We was supposed to go today but she didn’t feel well so she said let’s just do it the next day. I understand I’m wrong but is this as big of a deal as she thinks it is or AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 20, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for pressuring my bf about a situation in my bathroom?

quote:

My bf and I are quarantining in my apartment at the moment. The other day, I went into the bathroom and found a couple of half-wet, brownish stained clumps of toilet paper (2-3 sheets) stuck to the tiles on the wall opposite the toilet. I was confused about what they were but didn't mention it the first time I saw them, thinking he'd get rid of them next time he went to the toilet. They were still there a few hours later, so at some point I asked what it was and if he could clean it up. He said he didn't know but quickly went and threw them into the toilet. I was confused but didn't mention it again. A few days later, another clump appeared on the wall. The stains could've been poo poo, or maybe blood, or (unlikely as probably would have looked different) soil from plants, so I wanted to know what it was so I could determine if I'd be ok to clean it up. We have a semi-long distance relationship and regularly spend several days up to a couple weeks together at either of our places and I've never seen this before at his or my place.

I said that there was toilet paper on the wall again and asked what it was, he said he didn't know and threw it away again. I explained why I was asking and that I don't understand how he can't know. He seemed uncomfortable, and said "I don't know, I could only speculate", I said that I would like to know, he asked why I wanted to know so desperately, I said I didn't want to pressure him but it was just a really weird situation. He said "too late" re pressuring and that I was being super inconsiderate. At some point, he said "it's poo poo, what else would it be". He was now super pissed off at me for repeatedly asking him about it despite him being visibly uncomfortable, I still didn't understand wtf was going on and we didn't talk for a few hours.

At some point I asked if he wanted to talk about it more, he said he hadn't changed his mind about anything and that I'd been super hurtful. I said I'd just been asking him a question that I understandably wanted an answer to, he said I'd been super pushy and was now gaslighting him by saying I had only asked a simple question in a level-headed way and implying he had overreacted. I said I didn't claim to have been completely level-headed the entire time, we were having an argument and ofc frustration rose on both sides as it went along, but that he'd been very defensive from the start. I told him he could've just told me "it's poo poo, I'm embarrassed and don't wanna talk about how it got there but it won't happen again" and I would've accepted that, and that I didn't think I'd been unfairly pressuring him - I wasn't trying to force him to tell me anything he didn't want to tell me, but I did deserve to know what it was. He said it's not for me to decide whether he felt pressured and that I'm minimising his feelings. He doesn't want to let it go unless I apologise. AITA?

Edit: Just to clarify as this seems to cause some confusion, the bits of toilet paper weren't completely covered in poo poo, there were just some brownish stains on them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mx. posted:

Yeah he always says something completely awful is a joke but I’m never laughing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hughlander posted:

AITA for pressuring my bf about a situation in my bathroom?

UGH you can't just ASK ME why I stuck lovely toilet paper to the wall!! You're so HURTFUL

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
My ‘there’s nothing abnormal about using my poo poo to stick toilet paper to the wall’ poster is causing a lot of questions already answered by my ‘there’s nothing abnormal about using my poo poo to stick toilet paper to the wall’ poster

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Haven't checked r/relationships thread in a minute,, wonder if goons are still having long pointless derails over the stupidest loving things?

*2 minutes later, smIling wistfully* God's in his heaven, all's right with the world

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Invisible Clergy posted:

24 years old and you have to go to the internet to resolve a conflict as minor as this?

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Invisible Clergy posted:

Some colleges do this. It costs extra, of course, and you need to like, set up an account with the laundry service, so he's still an idiot.

Honestly though if gf is giving up soda, juice isn't much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PancakeTransmission posted:

We all had to cook once a week as teens. It's annoying but so is being an adult and cooking (yeah I cook now but still don't particularly enjoy it). It's no surprise how many stories come out of failchildren in their 20s+ that can't do simple things, if their parents never asked them to learn how to do basic chores before leaving home.

I wish I had had more life lessons as a teen. The ones I got were "once you learn to iron your dad's clothes perfectly, you will be taught to drive" and how to pack my dad's lunch. I mean, I knew basic chores like vacuuming and dusting, and picked up laundry, but overall the lessons were how to do all the bitch work that my dad didn't feel a real man had to do.

That included all of his laundry.

AITA for throwing my fiance's dirty laundry down the stairs

quote:

I (26F) have been living with my boyfriend (29M) for about 4 years now. He has always left his dirty laundry on the bedroom floor and I have always been the only one to do the laundry. I have asked him countless times to put his laundry in the hamper. We have a laundry chute in the hall, but I even bought a hamper for our bedroom so he could just toss it in there, yet he doesn't. I got very frustrated and threw his dirty laundry downstairs (laundry room is down there) and told him he could bring it to the laundry room himself if he wants it cleaned.

It may have been pretty juvenile of me but I'm honestly just so tired of it after all these years. I know it's a pretty minor issue, but I just want to know if I'm being crazy about it or if I'm right to be frustrated?

Sorry to air my dirty laundry. Sorry, I had to make that joke .