Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Good Innvandrer

Pondus

Zofie's World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics
The solution was so stupid that nobody called it! (having clothes button on different sides depending on their nominal gender is also stupid)

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

And now I'm in that weird spot of being sad to hear that someone has died, even though it happened many years before I was even born. (Is there a word for that?)

Thank you for posting Jucika, it's a delight.

It goes in that same category of discovering from their obit a new artist or writer you end up loving.

Like, "I'm glad we're both here now. I wish I had arrived sooner, and under different circumstances."

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 19, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A double dose of Dykes to Watch Out For for being incommunicado this past week.
#149 and #150, both from 1992, both by Alison Bechdel.

Mo definitely knows who Clarice is, she's just being miserable on purpose. People huffing and rolling their eyes at bisexuals was also definitely a real thing in queer circles in the early 90s and in fact continued to be a thing well into the aughts and beyond, although obviously not to the extent that we see here. The actual term "LGBT" (without the plus or any other letters) debuted in the late 80s and begins to show up in conference minutes and activist literature around 1988.

The 1993 March on Washington took place in April and boasted between 800,000 and 1,000,000 participants, building off of the success of the 1987 march to draw attention to ongoing queer issues such as the continued failure of the federal government to address the AIDS crisis and various laws enforcing hiring discrimination against LGBTQ+ Americans, as well as a rising tide of homophobic hate crimes. Here's a list of the march's primary agenda:

quote:

We demand passage of a lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender civil rights bill and an end to discrimination by state and federal governments including the military; repeal of all sodomy laws and other laws that criminalize private sexual expression between consenting adults.
We demand massive increase in funding for AIDS education, research, and patient care; universal access to health care including alternative therapies; and an end to sexism in medical research and health care.
We demand legislation to prevent discrimination against lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in the areas of family diversity, custody, adoption and foster care and that the definition of family includes the full diversity of all family structures.
We demand full and equal inclusion of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in the educational system, and inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender studies in multicultural curricula.
We demand the right to reproductive freedom and choice, to control our own bodies, and an end to sexist discrimination.
We demand an end to racial and ethnic discrimination in all forms.
We demand an end to discrimination and violent oppression based on actual or perceived sexual orientation, identification, race, religion, identity, sex and gender expression, disability, age, class, AIDS/HIV infection.

You may notice the absence of the T in the flyer's "LGB"-- this isn't an oversight on Bechdel's part but a reflection of the March's planning committee; the inclusion of transgender people in official statements about the march as well as the event's formal title was proposed for the first time but did not get a 2/3 majority of votes.

Next up-- a big can of worms I don't feel like getting into!

Bill Clinton won the 1992 presidential election, defeating George H.W. Bush and a host of third party candidates. He was indeed widely seen as an anti-right golden boy for the 90s, in a very uh, Thomas Friedman kind of way, because the early 90s were a huge froth of post-glasnost liberal enthusiasm in a lot of ways. He played saxophone on Arsenio Hall, and seemed to have spoken to a black person ever, so for a lot of moderate Democrats and even, as we see here, optimistic progressives, his victory seemed to herald a promising turning point for a country still meandering out from under the shadow of Reagan and the increasingly visible LGBTQ+ community.

As we might know in 2022, Mo's reservations are not exactly her normal apocalyptic griping either.

Don't ask me, I was six when this all went down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

How Wonderful! posted:

A double dose of Dykes to Watch Out For for being incommunicado this past week.

Ahhh, i really missed seeing these posts, thank you for your time making them!!!

As for the comics I post, I just stayed up too late playing Minecraft and watching TNG, sorry!

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Christ there weren't even Blu-Rays when I was in high school

e: and neither was Donnie Darko out yet

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I looked forward to Jucika. :3: Thank you so much for introducing her to us.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 19, 2022

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Cobalt-60 posted:

Was there really a backlash against against disco, besides the usual "this was popular, now it's lame"? The demolition night is always brought up, but that seems like it has more to do with cheap beer than any hate. And it seems to be an isolated incident. My impression of disco is that it's one of those things that just wound up horribly dated, like its cousin the leisure suit.

I suggest reading up on Disco Demolion night. While the event itself was somewhat extraordinary, it was part of a larger cultural backlash in the late ‘70s against the increased visibility and prominence of gay, Latino and especially black culture.

quote:

Vince Lawrence, a then-teenaged usher at the event told NPR he was uncomfortable being one of the only Black people at the stadium, and remembered that fans were just bringing LPs by black artists: “[There were] Tyrone Davis records, friggin' Curtis Mayfield records and Otis Clay records. Records that were clearly not disco.” All those artists are black artists. Whatever the the intent, this was obviously not just about disco but also about simmering racial resentment.

In many ways it heralded the upcoming reactionary wave of the Reagan era.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako, including the horrifying "back of the Fancy House"

End chapter!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's been my pleasure to contribute to a thread I love. I looked it up and Jucika was introduced two years ago by Savidudeosoo posting a batch every Friday. They've moved on and I was happy to have an unclaimed strip I was passionate enough about to post daily.

Jucika Daily was a good introduction for me back when the strip returned to the internet a few years ago and Jucika In Order is the source I've used since for posting in the thread. I'll be sharing some gems from Jucika Booru which is very NSFW as soon as you start searching but has lots of good fanart all the same. Feel free to enjoy all the Jucika you like at your own pace.

Pusztai was a great cartoonist and did lots of work drawing public service posters and announcements, advertising and things like magazine covers so there's a good number of extras in his style.

"This one is enough for doll clothes. Take the rest to the MEH yard." The rest is helpful translator notes. Jucika's brother confirmed, more deep Jucika lore?

Important emojis for your day to day needs.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Doomykins posted:

Important emojis for your day to day needs.

I’ve been looking for an avatar change for a while now and that last one might just be it

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Doomykins posted:

I'll be sharing some gems from Jucika Booru which is very NSFW as soon as you start searching but has lots of good fanart all the same.

First of all thanks for posting Jucika, it's a great comic!

Second, while there is some great art on here, I can see what people mean when they say that a lot of the fanart focuses too much on the sex part and not enough on the wholesome part.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jucika has been a delight, thank you for posting it!

She doesn't play, huh?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
there's also a really swank little Japanese music video that serves as a big Jucika homage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkHDaLJbXA

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 7, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 7, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 20, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 22, 1936

Mopsy September 29, 1937

Up Front November 2, 1944

Dark Laughter August 26, 1950

So It Seems April 4, 1952

Those Were the Days March 20, 1958

Wee Pals April 13, 1966

Dogbert November 10, 1966

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Crisis On Infinite Forths

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 5, 1934)

Peanuts (January 21, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 20, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 31-February 2, 1938; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (August 8-10, 1918)

Dok's "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" Duck (December 10, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 12-14, 1935)

Double shot of Blondie (From Zero) cos I've been letting down my side on this one. (July 20-25, 1931)

e: because whoops, my finger slipped and hit post too soon.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 20, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Slammy posted:

I can't believe Beeman predicted modern nerd culture.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kids these days, always on their zoetropes

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break but I'm happy to announce that it will start appearing in newspaper starting March 28th. Tauhid has no idea which newspapers it will appear in though so grab a couple extra copies for goons if you see one in the wild.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 5-6, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Fucksake Tombat get the gently caress out of your own comic strip again, knock it the gently caress off.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 5-6, 1990)

I always thought this one was hilarious for some reason.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Slammy posted:

And He Did! February 7, 1919

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (August 8-10, 1918)

Does anybody get this? This is my second time reading it, and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. Is Vernon McNutt about to get shot?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Safety Dance posted:

Does anybody get this? This is my second time reading it, and I can't make heads or tails of what's going on. Is Vernon McNutt about to get shot?

My read is they're threatening him under punishment of death to keep rocking that boat as punishment for rocking a real boat with women and children in it as a joke

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

The boat was out on the lake with women, children, and Vernon in it. Vernon rocked it as a prank. The large men did not take kindly to this, and are now forcing Vernon to rock it in the hot sun as punishment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Safety Dance posted:

I think it's "ironic punishments division" for "oh so you think it's funny to rock a boat full of kids? well how about you rock the boat all day?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Teddy Roosevelt is going to shoot that man dead if he stops rocking that boat

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Safety Dance posted:

somepartsareme posted:

My read is they're threatening him under punishment of death to keep rocking that boat as punishment for rocking a real boat with women and children in it as a joke

Yeah, it's been established that Vernon's that kind of a card.

The Bloop posted:

Nice to see him making up with William Howard Taft on the issue.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I thought we had seen those strips before...

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

I like it.

I LIKE it!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Bloop posted:

He'll loving do it, too. That guy's crazy!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry, I'm having a terrible time. January started off in the worst way possible.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: insurance (July 18-24, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

I include this last strip in "January is really bad" btw.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 21, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 21, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 21, 1990)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Slammy posted:

Boy, Art Beeman really was the apotheosis of "old man yelling at cloud," wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 15, 1949)