Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kingturnip posted:

That's alarmingly believable

I only realised it was a bit when I got to the Ian Austin dog joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I thought Kier starmer was tall, but hes only 5foot8.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Both Keith and Alexander are manlets

E: vvvv lmao. That almost sounds like copypasta, it's so mundane but also believably unpleasant

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 19, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought Kier starmer was tall, but hes only 5foot8.

I met Keir Starmer when he visited the marginal I was campaigning in back in 2017. Our then-2yo son's name is also Keir so the local candidate wanted a photo of "the two Keirs" for her newsletter. Our son screamed the place down so no newsletter photo ever took place but I spent a lot of time standing next to Starmer.

- I'm 6 foot 1. He's much shorter than me.
- His breath smelled sour, and he had awful BO.
- He kept calling the candidate by the wrong name.
- He bought a welshcake at an independent bakery (photo op) and threw it away when he got outside.
- He looks so much older in real life than on TV.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prole posted:

- He bought a welshcake at an independent bakery (photo op) and threw it away when he got outside.

possibly his greatest crime

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So just googling and I guess a welshcake is a scone that someone sat on? Looks tasty

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

So just googling and I guess a welshcake is a scone that someone sat on? Looks tasty

Yes, they're tasty tasty very very tasty etc. Esp with fresh butter and thick cream piled on top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a recipe for them that I am almost certainly making entirely wrongly but they are very nice. When I make them they are basically like an extremely dense scone, which is good because they retain moisture and will keep for about a week and you can eat them without any butter, whereas scones are obviously much worse even one day later. Generally would recommend them over scones for this reason as I find them more practical and they taste very similar.

But yes I think even if you make them right you get something kind of like a scone but flatter. Would like to have a "proper" one at some point so I know what they are actually supposed to be like.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I have a recipe for them that I am almost certainly making entirely wrongly but they are very nice. When I make them they are basically like an extremely dense scone, which is good because they retain moisture and will keep for about a week and you can eat them without any butter, whereas scones are obviously much worse even one day later.

But yes I think even if you make them right you get something kind of like a scone but flatter.

What is this 'keep for about a week' of which you speak? I know it not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is this 'keep for about a week' of which you speak? I know it not.

Well I should say "up to a week" because I have never actually managed to let them last more than about four days, but they showed no sign of deterioration :v:

I stopped making them because I would just eat them all and be kind of sick afterwards. But they are good if you need something calorically dense and portable. I made some for a friend once who was having a rough week so she would have something to eat at least wherever she was.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So scones crossed with dwarf bread then, got it. Thus furthering my suspicions that the Welsh have intermarried with the Dwarves at some point

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I’ve never tried putting butter/jam/cream on a Welsh cake. Tempted to make some to try it.

I’ve tried several times to make some following my great aunt’s recipe (with lard!) but they never come out right.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

For anyone interested: best super easy, traditional Welsh cake recipe →
https://www.visitwales.com/things-do/food-and-drink/welsh-food-and-recipes/traditional-welsh-cakes-recipe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually tried to make a kind of welsh cake jam pelmeni.

It... kind of works? But it is hard to get the dough to stick and the jam isn't the best filling because it just tastes like you're eating a load of jam. But if you had something a little less tart it might work quite well.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

So scones crossed with dwarf bread then, got it. Thus furthering my suspicions that the Welsh have intermarried with the Dwarves at some point

I always think of it more as the dwarves intermarrying with the Welsh, somehow

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

All very nice but I'd just rather have a doughnut

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It used to be a dwarf cake but then it got sat on and now? 'scone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bara brith is very nice too. I bought a small loaf (very dense stuff) from the bakery at Cardiff's Fagan Museum (an open air museum https://museum.wales/stfagans/ )
and scoffed it for my lunch in the pouring rain.
(Why does it always pour with rain all day on a coach trip to anywhere?)

The little houses on the site (genuine cottages) are miniscule - people used to be very short, same like Beatrix Potter's cottage.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bara brith is very nice too. I bought a small loaf (very dense stuff) from the bakery at Cardiff's Fagan Museum (an open air museum)

St Fagan's is a brilliant place to visit. Especially in the summer when they have medieval reenactments and stuff. They also moved a really old pub, brick by brick, from somewhere to the museum site a few years back. Toll House from the Rebecca Riots is my fave. And the old schoolhouse (a staple of primary school trips for any Welsh pupil - learning about the Welsh Not).

Lots of political history at St Fagan's. Great place.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm [glad] that wearing a face mask in public is no longer required, because my train in the morning is [certainly not packed every single day], so giving the conscientious souls who take the train to work the opportunity to [breathe 'fresh' air] would be [novel] and in no way contribute to me having an increased chance of catching covid-19.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm wearing my mask forever more

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Yeah really. I've been out plenty but STILL not been sick. The mask is staying. Coughing fuckers in the beans aisle in ASDA passing on the bean plague.

E: also going to make welsh cakes tomorrow now and surprise my mum with them. She bought me a tub of jersey cream today so i feel a returned favour of something to spread it on is good!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like we’re keeping Boris for a while then:

https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1483936199991599107

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/buckfastbadlad/status/1483805907838541828?s=20

https://twitter.com/wrb91/status/1483841837194436616?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Looks like we’re keeping Boris for a while then:

https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1483936199991599107

The irony that the Mail hails Boris 'leading us out of Covid' on the day he officially announced that we've given up trying to stop it and announcing that his own baby was infected on the same front page.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Charge of the light brigade but at the end they go back and look to see if they missed any cannon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I had difficulty identifying the L as a character instead of punctuation at first.

Made me expect a very different joke.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If you're not eating welsh cakes still hot straight off the griddle you're doing it wrong :colbert:

OwlFancier posted:

I actually tried to make a kind of welsh cake jam pelmeni.
Not quite sure what you're trying to describe but the baker up the road does a "jam split", basically a welsh cake filled jam. It is good

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A "jam split" is also what they call it when corbyn starts a new party

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Man, these DLC fighters for Smash Ultimate are getting really obscure!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Charge of the light brigade but at the end they go back and look to see if they missed any cannon.

I know that he's at best a problematic fave, but Frankie Boyle described Boris Johnson, when he was first running for Mayor of London, as the sort of man who 150 years ago would have died aged 32 leading a cavalry charge into a volcano. I genuinely can't think of a better summary of him (and of the generally ridiculous and persistent type of upper-class twit he represents).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Had to give 2yr old nephew a covid up the nose job this morning. he didn't like it all but it was explained it wasn't us doing this it was boris johnson.

Now hes shuffling round downstairs repeating over and over "(his name) not like boris johnson"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Now hes shuffling round downstairs repeating over and over "(his name) not like boris johnson"

You should get him an account. If I'm any proof he's already got advanced enough politics for this thread

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Had to give 2yr old nephew a covid up the nose job this morning. he didn't like it all but it was explained it wasn't us doing this it was boris johnson.

Tell him it's called a "Tory Test" and consider it a vaccine for brain melt.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

When my great-niece was 2-3 years old, whenever Corbyn was on tv she would jump for joy, cheer and shout 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn'. Can't think where she could possibly have been brainwashed picked that up from. Hm.

Meanwhile, in other news: I've just booked a 2 week trip to France to visit my brother (and his many-acred estate with swimming pool*) in June. Fingers crossed. Less than £70 return so if it does all go pear-shaped it's not a huge loss to bear!

*he's the caretaker together with his partner before you send me to the wall.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 20, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think bojo is more the kind of person who woulda ordered the charge while drinking in a big leather chair then went on to a long successful career after an inquiry cleared him

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think bojo is more the kind of person who woulda ordered the charge while drinking in a big leather chair then went on to a long successful career after an inquiry cleared him

Ironically I'm not sure he's actually posh enough to have had anything like that level of seniority were he born into similar circumstances in the 19th century. Too "new money", too turkish.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Well, it seems William ‘piss’ Wragg has come out swinging knives. Gotta hand it to the Tories, they don’t hang around when they smell blood in the water.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Catzilla posted:

Gotta hand it to the Tories, they don’t hang around when they smell piss in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only thing they love more than loving over the poor is loving over each other.