Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

FINALLY a loving trailer.

Still waiting for news on Bone though. :(

Is that a prequel to Bones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

howe_sam posted:

I like Piz :mad:

I thought it was absolutely wild they have the dudes living in Marshall and Ted's old apartment. But as a big "twist" at the end of the pilot it really didn't live up to the original's "and that's how I met your Aunt Robin."

I also found this little curio, and I did not know Tiya Sircar was in the HIMYD pilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYIcFyBg-Hg

I always knew this existed but I don’t think I ever knew that it was available to see anywhere. It’s sort of funny that there’s a guy in here who sounds and acts like real life NPH when the original had NPH acting like the weird meme version of himself from Harold and Kumar.

Also what a wild alternate reality this would have been. No Lady Bird, no Little Women, would Greta Gerwig really have stuck it out on a sitcom this out of style?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

Now we're going to start something I've only ever seen the first two episodes of for some reason- Twin Peaks

Mrs Isaboo has seen it all and is already grinning ear to ear knowing what's coming

If you're into podcasts, i recommend the Idle Thumbs Twin Peaks companion podcast they did

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The results of the TVIV last decade poll list whatsit that Looten Plunder organised have been posted!

It starts here, and I highly recommend you read the entire countdown, as it’s a lot of fun. But also, for the lazy along you, here’s the top 20:

20. Mr Robot
18=. Patriot
18=. Community
17. Fleabag
16. Barry
15. Fargo
14. BoJack Horseman
13. Veep
12. Halt and Catch Fire
11. Atlanta
10. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
09. The Expanse
08. Chernobyl
07. The Good Place
06. Game of Thrones
05. The Leftovers
04. Twin Peaks: The Return
03. Mad Men
02. Better Call Saul
01. Breaking Bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

1 and two need switching badly

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gaius Marius posted:

1 and two need switching badly

You mean 1 and 3.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, I thought the worst just about it was the ending which was faithful to the book. I mean King isn't known for his endings (and even he's aware of that.)

That last episode was mostly new material written by King specifically for the miniseries. In case you were wondering whether or not he signed off on that poo poo.

Besides telling the story out of order and practically ignoring the plague, the attempts to diversify the cast hits a brick wall when they decided to make Larry black. You know, the white guy doing black music and getting into drugs and failing upwards until he gets run out of town and disappoints his mother.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I will say that casting Amber Heard as Nadine was pretty good. Psycho, crazy, in love with the devil...fits her pretty well.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Medullah posted:

I liked him in G.L.O.W

Lol I liked him in GLOW too but on the other hand it took me until now to even realize they were the same person. I have seen Veronica Mars 1-3 three times through and I had to google Piz when yall started posting his name because I always forget he exists the second he leaves the screen.

Literally even looking at screencaps of him on VM, a year after a rewatch, I said "..who?" for a second. Great character 👍

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

I always forget he exists the second he leaves the screen.

So did Veronica

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

I will say that casting Amber Heard as Nadine was pretty good. Psycho, crazy, in love with the devil...fits her pretty well.

I think her casting was good in principle but she just came across as very flat at not very seductive. That being said, I thought that she was better than Laura San Giacomo. Though I also think almost all the casting from the 1990s miniseries were better, which is a bit damning.

I did think that Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid, Katherine McNamara as Julie Lawry, and Fiona Dourif as the Rat Woman were all great and I loved their interactions when they were on screen together. And Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man was... something. At the very least, it was memorable, which is more than most of the other roles.

Looking at the cast list now, I had completely forgotten that Whoopi Goldberg was Mother Abagail, haha.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It kinda sucks that 3rd Rock From the Sun doesn't have as much cultural cache as other 90s sitcoms because goddamn is it a fantastic and hilarious show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

I think her casting was good in principle but she just came across as very flat at not very seductive. That being said, I thought that she was better than Laura San Giacomo. Though I also think almost all the casting from the 1990s miniseries were better, which is a bit damning.

I did think that Nat Wolff as Lloyd Henreid, Katherine McNamara as Julie Lawry, and Fiona Dourif as the Rat Woman were all great and I loved their interactions when they were on screen together. And Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man was... something. At the very least, it was memorable, which is more than most of the other roles.

Looking at the cast list now, I had completely forgotten that Whoopi Goldberg was Mother Abagail, haha.

I should clarify that I thought the casting was good for the sake of the joke. :D

I didn't really like Lloyd, I get what they were doing with him making him more modern, but he was one of my favorite characters in the original book so it was a bit of a mind stretch.

I really liked the dude that played Harold, BUT they really stretched his character out to try and make him more sympathetic, which didn't work for me.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1483812545521664003

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I don't think a traditional biopic would work for Weird Al - his whole career has been remarkably drama-free.

I'd take a tense ninety minutes about shaving the moustache off.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Finally got around to watching season two of Warrior. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I'm glad I waited til recently to give it a watch. If I had live watched or binged it shortly after it ended, I'd have been bummed believing there wouldn't be anymore to come. Sucks there likely won't be anymore until next year, but hey, at least it's coming back. Hong is easily the most welcome addition to the cast for me.

Also watched Mayor of Kingstown, and I'll echo that it escalated very loving quickly in the last two episodes. Sometimes I do body counts for TV shows (I have no idea why, it's just a habit I got into, maybe I'm some kinda loving psycho, maybe I just like listing weird poo poo, I dunno) and I gave up on those last two and just wrote down "A bunch of people get shot."

I finally got around to watching the first season of Fargo after putting it off forever. Enjoyed the heck out of it, although much like the movie before it, I didn't really give a gently caress about the protagonists. Not that I disliked them, just found them kinda bland. Malvo and Lester were very entertaining though. How are the following seasons? I've not heard much but I've heard there comes a point where it becomes pretty "meh."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 of Fargo is near-perfect. 3 has issues but is still overall great and maybe the most thematically rich season. 4 is the weakest, a lot of good elements but they never really cohere in an interesting or relevant enough way

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

thats why you never go skiing

Escobarbarian posted:

The results of the TVIV last decade poll list whatsit that Looten Plunder organised have been posted!

It starts here, and I highly recommend you read the entire countdown, as it’s a lot of fun. But also, for the lazy along you, here’s the top 20:

05. The Leftovers
04. Twin Peaks: The Return
03. Mad Men
02. Better Call Saul
01. Breaking Bad

The Leftovers is really high for something I've only ever heard of from exactly this one line of text. Obviously a thread to dig through as to why it's good but even a google just gets me a kind of "not as bad as Lost vibe."

Number 1 is what I would've wagered to win on a reddit poll, but I'm a BB hater who like Better Caul Sall purely for Odenkirk reasons.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Khanstant posted:

thats why you never go skiing

The Leftovers is really high for something I've only ever heard of from exactly this one line of text. Obviously a thread to dig through as to why it's good but even a google just gets me a kind of "not as bad as Lost vibe."

Number 1 is what I would've wagered to win on a reddit poll, but I'm a BB hater who like Better Caul Sall purely for Odenkirk reasons.
I'm glad The Leftovers showed up on this list because it's personally my #1 of all time. It's a masterpiece.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1483816516327915522

I've been so hyped up for this but I've been really nervous after how badly Amazon hosed up The Wheel of Time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Does Atlanta actually get good or are the people recommending it just messing with me? Episode one did exactly nothing for me. Donald Glover is kinda boring and unenthusiastic.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does Atlanta actually get good or are the people recommending it just messing with me? Episode one did exactly nothing for me. Donald Glover is kinda boring and unenthusiastic.

Yes. And Glover isn't the reason you watch, its everyone else.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes. And Glover isn't the reason you watch, its everyone else.

So, does he go away? I finished the episode now and really did not like it at all. He's the straight guy in an environment I don't find interesting or remarkable.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 19, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Khanstant posted:

Please go into the Leftovers blind and report episode by episode.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

So, does he go away?

Nope but he gets so outshined by everyone else that you don't care. He's not even bad, I think he's good to great on the show, but everyone else is so gd good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I got about halfway through the second episode of Leftovers before I decided the entire premise was stupid and quit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

i started the leftovers with the 2nd season and have no regrets.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So, does he go away? I finished the episode now and really did not like it at all. He's the straight guy in an environment I don't find interesting or remarkable.

Watch the second episode and post your thoughts! The pilot is a weaker episode for sure but episode 2 is pretty great.

And Khanstant you GOTTA watch The Leftovers omg

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Watch the second episode and post your thoughts! The pilot is a weaker episode for sure but episode 2 is pretty great.

And Khanstant you GOTTA watch The Leftovers omg

Fiiinnnee... But only because I value you as a person of good taste. :colbert:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jesus, give a show a bit more of a chance than a 22 minute pilot.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 2 of Fargo is near-perfect. 3 has issues but is still overall great and maybe the most thematically rich season. 4 is the weakest, a lot of good elements but they never really cohere in an interesting or relevant enough way

I'd say 3 is the weakest. David Thewlis was painfully boring.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

People's nominations in the thread do a good job of pointing out why it's good without spoiling anything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I'd say 3 is the weakest. David Thewlis was painfully boring.

It came together a lot better for me on a rewatch, especially Thewlis’ character, and this VDW article does an extremely good job of summing up why.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Episode 2 was better. Still not something I actually enjoyed. In fact the scene with the trans scare felt a bit uncomfortable. Honestly, my favorite person was the cop who insisted on a photo with the rapper. "One more for the instasluts!" Which is weird because I am certain that the show wants me to have the opposite opinion. Also, why is everyone in the main cast always whispering? They're super hard to understand for me. I might come back to that someday, but it does not feel right for me. Apparently, Glover and the rapper are both straight men who are above all the nonsense and I don't like that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Since Fargo's been mentioned, here's a weird thing.

When I watched Fargo S2, it had already finished airing and I had just finished up my marathoning of S1. Through a downloading mistake, I began watching the second episode of Fargo S2 thinking it was the first episode. It was absolutely intriguing. Once done I realized my mistake and went back to watch the first episode, then the third, and so on correctly. Once done I did, and still do, consider Season 2 of Fargo a perfect season of television.

Which makes me wonder if watching the start of a season of TV in the 2-1-3 order is workable with other shows. I've yet to try it for anything else but this idea of being thrown into the deep end with no information isn't something much television goes for (especially if the pilot was produced separately) but is something I apparently really enjoy, even if the "second" watched episode explains everything. It also helps if the first scene of ep2 isn't a continuation of the last scene from ep1. ... or maybe that's also cool.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chairman Capone posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the direction they went with Lloyd although it was a worthwhile vision. I hated how little they did with Trashcan Man. But generally speaking I do think they did more with the villains/Vegas people than the original series did. But the good guys/Boulder side of the story was boring as hell and since they skipped so much of the plague stuff they had barely any character development. So good fun villains helped but its tough to maintain a full mini series with an extensive cast of forgettable protagonists. And I thought Amber Heard was mostly fine but that show dynamic basically made her the start of the show and I'm just not sure there was enough there for that.

I don't know if they chose not to film the plague stuff or if they removed it after the fact, but the latter sounds right just because it really did feel like a show that had a ton of stuff missing and everything else felt unbalanced as a result.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

People's nominations in the thread do a good job of pointing out why it's good without spoiling anything

people don't need to tell me twice to watch something without looking anything up and I've been told thrice! I'll check it out sometime. I've had fantastic luck past couple years with diving in blind no expectations or ideas to various things and so far all I did was read a few random words of the wikipedia page enough to make a lazy Lost joke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m 2.5 episodes into Midnight Mass and my guess is that the priest is a vampire who’s turned the paraplegic girl, the senile mother, and the alcoholic guy’s parents into vampires, so they’re healed because they’re now undead. The girl showing up in the window to lure the brother outside is just too Lost Boys to be anything else. If they’re not vampires, they’re something that’s basically vampires.

I don’t know why I’m posting this, because I guess I don’t want anyone to tell me if I’m right, or if I’m wrong.

Also, I don’t know if there’s anything more to this, but I love that the alcoholic guy is so resigned to contemplating his crimes each night that he’s just totally blasé about lying down and seeing the girl he murdered.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know if they chose not to film the plague stuff or if they removed it after the fact, but the latter sounds right just because it really did feel like a show that had a ton of stuff missing and everything else felt unbalanced as a result.

They removed it after, I mentioned it upthread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I stil haven't finished season 3 of Leftovers because I don't want it to be over.