Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lammasu posted:

So I'm playing Dangaronpa but I'm not going in blind. I dated a girl that was super into it and also I watched an LP of Ultra Despair Girls, Christ, 7 years ago. I know who the big bad is and I have some vague recollections of stuff but I'm not sure how much that is going to effect my play though because drat there are a lot of characters. Has anyone else played this?

You'll be fine op. Actually the first game is the only one which might be seriously affected but it shouldn't affect whether it not you actually like the game very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I rented Hot Wheels Unleashed. This game is loving dogshit. As a racing game, it's terrible. As a Trackmania clone, it's terrible. Everything in this game feels wrong. The drift mechanic is awful and the "tricks" are pretty much useless. I'm very glad I did not pay full price to play this game because I'm going to get like 45 minutes out of it before I pull the disc out of my console and flush it down the toilet. I think I'd be doing GameFly a favor by taking this one off its books

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hot Wheels is cool and fun. Sorry you hate fun.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I would rather play Stunt Track Driver. At least the cars look really nice though, I'll give em that, also I unlocked the Gucci branded Cadillac Seville right out of the gate. But the game is rear end and if you like it, then that means you like bad games and also smell like ham haha pwned

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I remember responding to this stuff before and you malfunctioned lol

barnold posted:

Trackmania

I forgot that Ubisoft does have one good IP. Are the Driver devs still around? Playing that on PS1 in the survival mode where you could brake hard over hills in San Francisco and watch police cars go flying overhead and tumbling down the street never got old :allears:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

Hot Wheels is cool and fun. Sorry you hate fun.

In this vein the CoD campaigns have always been cool and fun and I’m looking forward to game passing the poo poo out of them

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Death's Door is really neat, and a solid polished package that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

The track builder in Hot Wheels is pretty sweet actually. I'll give em that too.

SUNKOS posted:

I forgot that Ubisoft does have one good IP. Are the Driver devs still around? Playing that on PS1 in the survival mode where you could brake hard over hills in San Francisco and watch police cars go flying overhead and tumbling down the street never got old :allears:

Reflections was bought by Ubisoft and makes the Watch Dogs games now, and people say the driving in those games is built off the same physics as the later Driver games. But having played WD1+2, I'd say that's dubious at best. I would love a new Driver game, and I would also love a new Burnout game, and I would also love a new Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing game. Okay maybe not that last one, but Codemasters should consider making TOCA 4 imo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You misunderstand, Activision means so very little to me. But yeah I'd be hard pressed to call this a W for the industry at large. Look around, the lukewarm response to this is indicative of genuine concern that a huge shift is coming industry-wide, with tons of lost jobs, a general creative stagnancy, and raised prices on goods and services to show for it. Meanwhile, the actual progress that was being made from within for better conditions, accountability for execs within the toxic culture, a growing pressure from workers for unionisation at one of the key nodes within in the industry, etc, has pretty all much been sent into a death spiral. Kotick, repulsive to the last, gets half a billion to step aside as a scapegoat for what were systemic issues.

Yeah, there has been some slight positivity around, due to all the garbage around Activision massive recent corporate issues and to a far lesser extent blizzards general stagnation, but in a very in the long term the cure might be worse then the disease type thing.

The consolidation of publishers is obviously very concerning. Sony and Nintendo do seem to still have decent publishers for their consoles and there do still seem to be a lot of independent publishers, and Microsoft still seems more then happy to publish stuff from studios they don't own, so at least that seems to be... okay.

Still concern for this sort of stuff is pretty reasonable. I've never owned a console and always just used a PC, but still appreciate them being about so there can be a wider field of games about. Competition be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

You are being pretty weird. People are bringing up legitimate concerns with company monopolies and consolidation and you’re just like “whatever who cares lol idiots”

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

barnold posted:

Codemasters should consider making TOCA 4 imo

Codemasters got slurped up by EA.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Other publishers (including activision?):

- Upped their nextgen console games from $70 to $80
- Charge $10 to upgrade to nextgen version in some cases

Microsoft

- Nextgen versions come out day 1 on gamepass for $1 or $15 depending if you strike a deal

Seems like a pretty big W' to me. Last generation all I heard was "I'm buying a PS4 because it's got all the exclusives I like" so it sounds like MS listened to the consumers?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Escobarbarian posted:

You are being pretty weird. People are bringing up legitimate concerns with company monopolies and consolidation and you’re just like “whatever who cares lol idiots”
He's not being weird. He directly responded to those legitimate concerns in the form of a 3000 word effort post and received the reply "lol imagine typing this"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

You posted stock numbers lol, a less than worthless contribution. Pathetic! What it must be like to have a child's conception of power dynamics, to the degree that 'green man get big' equals some mystical quality of life increase for you personally.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hanyolo posted:

Microsoft

- Nextgen versions come out day 1 on gamepass for $1 or $15 depending if you strike a deal

Seems like a pretty big W' to me. Last generation all I heard was "I'm buying a PS4 because it's got all the exclusives I like" so it sounds like MS listened to the consumers?

My guess is gamepass is going up in price from this, so myabe buy a bunch in advance or something.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderLink posted:

Far be it from me to tell you what to do but just so you know, it's pretty violent and a little bit lewd if memory serves. They get around it with like neon pink blood and tons of cheesecake but still.

No, I appreciate it, but I’m aware. That said I looked over the ratings at the ESRB for this one and it was just violence versus any of the fan service stuff.

I should mention she’s allowed to watch South Park. Loves watching it with my wife.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My guess is gamepass is going up in price from this, so myabe buy a bunch in advance or something.

I could see Gamepass doing the supermarket junkfood thing, of not increasing the price, but just including more higher tier stuff, so basic pass is still cheap to get people in, but mostly has the old library, with one or two newer release, then most of the AAA being behind high tiers, or outright purchases.

I think MS is well aware it doesn't want to price people out. Having a huge amount of subscribers paying you small amounts of regular cash still adds up to quite a bit. If they can get more off gamers who are more then welling to spend more, they will definitely try to though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Prices go up. For example see video games casually becoming $70 instead of $60 (or worse if you aren't in the usa)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If they try to raise the price of Game Pass then just bully them on Twitter really hard until they walk it back like we did when they tried to double the price of Gold. Simple as.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Prices go up. For example see video games casually becoming $70 instead of $60 (or worse if you aren't in the usa)

I’m remember Super Nintendo games selling at Clover (old extinct Philly area discounts store like Target) for $79. Street Fighter II to be exact.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

This is actually Nintendo's fault for raising the market value of games by pricing a rerelease of New Super Mario Bros U at sixty dollars

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I could see Gamepass doing the supermarket junkfood thing, of not increasing the price, but just including more higher tier stuff, so basic pass is still cheap to get people in, but mostly has the old library, with one or two newer release, then most of the AAA being behind high tiers, or outright purchases.

I think MS is well aware it doesn't want to price people out. Having a huge amount of subscribers paying you small amounts of regular cash still adds up to quite a bit. If they can get more off gamers who are more then welling to spend more, they will definitely try to though.

Making suckers pay extra for the AAA trash sounds like a good deal to me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
industry consolidation is bad, especially the fact that they're being consolidated under microsoft

on the other hand, i can buy a console at a price that i have to assume is a loss for microsoft and get three years of gamepass for 120 bucks so this is a huge win for me as a consumer

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
For the price of the gamepass expansion pack you get access to one poorly emulated N64 game a month

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

For the price of the gamepass expansion pack you get access to one poorly emulated N64 game a month

You also get panel de pon though so it's worth it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

The emulation is fine, and Paper Mario is goated.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you are considering dropping by this actually half decent thread to import your brand warriorism

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remembering the terrible input lag on the Wii U version of Mario 64 and shuddering. I hope they’ve fixed that with the Switch Online version (3D All-Stars doesn’t have it at least)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, I think responding with reorganized tiers is a reasonable assumption, it's certainly what's happening to PS+ very soon.

I'm not wild about that either, though if it's a niche title I'm willing to pay. poo poo's been all over the place in the last year. Deathloop was 55 bux right out the gate but Returnal and Demon's Souls stayed pricey. Maybe Sony will be intimidated by recent events enough to cut that poo poo out. Or maybe 'owning' games will just continue to get more expensive while 'renting' them via a subscription service will continue to get cheaper, hard to say. Right now PS5 is almost outselling PS4 in the same timeframe even though there are none on store shelves. The world is crazy.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Marshal Prolapse posted:

No, I appreciate it, but I’m aware. That said I looked over the ratings at the ESRB for this one and it was just violence versus any of the fan service stuff.

I should mention she’s allowed to watch South Park. Loves watching it with my wife.

The Paramount Plus specials are awesome but just a warning contain, flaccid uncircumcised dick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shoutout to Fromsoft for selling Elden Ring for a flat £50 (I assume $60 in the US) and not having any extra game stuff in the deluxe edition, just the soundtrack and art book

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

American McGay posted:

He's not being weird. He directly responded to those legitimate concerns in the form of a 3000 word effort post and received the reply "lol imagine typing this"

I was just trying to explain antitrust with popular examples since he didn't understand it :shrug:

Escobarbarian posted:

You're actually really weird because you constantly argue against strawmen. I didn't do what you're claiming but you keep making posts like this and seem upset but unable to articulate why so you just make up a narrative to whine about. Here's what you had to say about this thread earlier:

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s honestly such a weirdly unpleasant thread. And perhaps this is ironic to say but they spend a LOT of time talking about this thread

I can't find any examples of posters here doing what you claim they do "a LOT" of aside from me quoting you right now but if you find this thread so unpleasant then leave.

barnold posted:

Reflections was bought by Ubisoft and makes the Watch Dogs games now, and people say the driving in those games is built off the same physics as the later Driver games. But having played WD1+2, I'd say that's dubious at best. I would love a new Driver game, and I would also love a new Burnout game, and I would also love a new Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing game. Okay maybe not that last one, but Codemasters should consider making TOCA 4 imo

I think the GRID games kind of became a replacement for TOCA to Codemasters? The first game way back definitely seemed that way but they've become more arcade-y since. There's a new GRID game due out soon that kinda seems like a mix between TOCA and a modern Sega arcade racer. If you want something more serious I think the new Forza Motorsport will probably be released this year? Here's GRID though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3-BJfhnlWY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah the first GRID was subtitled Race Driver for territories where TOCA/Race Driver was actually a well known series

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I played way too much of the demolition derby mode in that game online which is wild because it literally had only one track but pretty much every lobby was for it. The car damage and deformation was awesome.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

I think the GRID games kind of became a replacement for TOCA to Codemasters? The first game way back definitely seemed that way but they've become more arcade-y since. There's a new GRID game due out soon that kinda seems like a mix between TOCA and a modern Sega arcade racer. If you want something more serious I think the new Forza Motorsport will probably be released this year?

mmmm yeah you're definitely right, I remember the first GRID being subtitled Race Driver now, as the other poster said. I think the last GRID game I played was Autosport on PS3 and I remember it being good? but a little janky at times too. the best part of TOCA 3 was the angry Scottish guy that acted as your crew chief. I also liked the tiered progression where you could pick from a handful of series as you moved up in your career. I always went right for the open wheel series so I could unlock the cars for singleplayer

the naming scheme between regions has always been funny to me. Jarrett & Labonte Stock Car Racing was actually just TOCA World Touring Cars, but they decided that they had to license some sort of stock car racers for name recognition on the North America release even though the in-game racing had zero resemblance to what Americans know as "stock car racing". people buying the game expecting an offbrand NASCAR game were in for a big shock lol

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

hanyolo posted:

Microsoft

Having more money than god bankrolling studios hopefully means that we're not forced to endure terrible yearly release cycles for games or the terrible need for every game to be a triple A title with billboards in Times Square. Or the bullshit nickel and diming

Like, have you guys seen Azure's loving margins? They're going to just keep plowing profit into making a gaming streaming service and it's gonna be great for PC/Xbox owners

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lammasu posted:

The Paramount Plus specials are awesome but just a warning contain, flaccid uncircumcised dick.

Yep she’s seen that one too. It was fantastic. I love these setups as it allows for a more in-depth story in a contained setting vs needing to spread it over a season.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cross-play just dropped for Spelunky 2. Between Xbox, Win10, Steam and Switch. No PS4 support, with no explanation given. I went looking for why, and apparently PS4 multiplayer is kind of dead because half the world didn't get the previous patch because of Sony's weird US/EU region split stuff?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I thought the new Rainbow Six was supposed to be Left 4 Dead? It's actually aa more casual GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Kins posted:

Cross-play just dropped for Spelunky 2. Between Xbox, Win10, Steam and Switch. No PS4 support, with no explanation given. I went looking for why, and apparently PS4 multiplayer is kind of dead because half the world didn't get the previous patch because of Sony's weird US/EU region split stuff?

I've been wondering why the original Spelunky isn't purchasable on the store. It's BC and comes up in searches fine but is the first game I've encountered which says it cannot be purchased. I wondered if they were prepping a native XB1/XBS release to coincide with the sequel and maybe do a double pack but as far as I know nothing's happened, it's just there unable to be bought.