Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure the lead designers are just poo poo at flying and always end up in a furball in the center of the table and are mad about being bad and bumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Floppychop posted:

I'm pretty sure the lead designers are just poo poo at flying and always end up in a furball in the center of the table and are mad about being bad and bumping.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Asmodee pulled AMG from Adepticon and all events for the first half of the year. GSP is again handling things.

Fly Better has an interview with some of the AMG devs coming out sometime soon. Not sure when since I don't listen to them or know their release schedule but some of you might be interested

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is pulling of them from cons due to COVID concerns or due to something else?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Covid.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Floppychop posted:

Is pulling of them from cons due to COVID concerns or due to something else?

COVID, and Asmodee pulled them, not AMG.

Either way, I get it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The new bumping rules are or are not presently in effect? The rules reference I pulled off AMG's website says effective 10/12/21 and contains bumping as it's always been.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

SuperKlaus posted:

The new bumping rules are or are not presently in effect? The rules reference I pulled off AMG's website says effective 10/12/21 and contains bumping as it's always been.

The "2.5" ruleset is not yet completely published. I understand it is to be expected by early March.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks. Also I still have the following minis, with associated cards and bases and stuff, that I don't want:

3x TIE FO
1x TIE Fighter
2x T-65 X-Wing (1e sculpts)
1x T-70 X-Wing
1x B-Wing (1e sculpt)
1x TIE Defender (yellow Skystrike version)

I'm in the Bay Area / Sacramento region of California. At this point I kinda just want the minis gone so I'm still seeking a trade or something (would particularly like the Aethersprite and related parts from Guardians of the Republic, or the Y-Wings from that scum squad pack) but really because they've been sitting here for ages I'd let them go for basically nothing.

Edit: say I was even more out of the meta than usual these last four months, why do you think they axed the poor Eta Actis's heavy gun slot? What abusive trick was there?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 18, 2022

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Autoblaster and the Republic’s crit droid mostly.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh I see. I'm glad I didn't run out and buy 10 droid fighters when I got into the prequel fleets now that a 1 PS droid costs 21. And a 3 PS droid also costs 21. Dislike.

I still have such a huge weak spot for Star Wars dogfighting even as I so rarely play though...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Second edition rules have never allowed more than 8 ships at a time (not counting epic).

*ok this rule was added in the very first rules update shortly after launch, not not quite never but drat near close.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had no idea there was a ship cap. Now I'm extremely glad I didn't get minis-drunk and buy lots of droids. I wonder why they felt the need to make 1 skill droid fighters cost the same as 3 skill droid fighters if you couldn't put 10 on the field anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SuperKlaus posted:

I had no idea there was a ship cap. Now I'm extremely glad I didn't get minis-drunk and buy lots of droids. I wonder why they felt the need to make 1 skill droid fighters cost the same as 3 skill droid fighters if you couldn't put 10 on the field anyway.

Int1 droids (under the current rules) are far superior to Int3 droids. They can’t be blocked by drat near anything because they move first.

A blocked droid loses its action and likely bumps up the whole swarm. It’s a death sentence.

The Int1 guys weren’t raised up to be equal with the Int3 ones. The Int3 guys were dropped so someone might actually use them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Fly Better has an interview with some of the AMG devs coming out sometime soon. Not sure when since I don't listen to them or know their release schedule but some of you might be interested

So this interview finally dropped.
https://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/s4e19-developer-interview-with-amgs-will-shick-and-michael-plummer

Haven't listened to it yet

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I suffered through the whole thing.

It does not inspire confidence. A quote from it: "the feedback from ROAD has been overwhelmingly positive".

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 27, 2022

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

I suffered through the whole thing.

It does not inspire confidence. A quote from it: "the feedback from ROAD has been overwhelmingly positive".

I've seen many posts from people who tried it who were positive or neutral. Most of the people who hate it, hate it on paper. The drama is so predictable. The arguments play out like every major rules change for every major tabletop game system ever made.

I am personally going to wait for the full suite of rules changes before I pass judgement, because I feel like the piecemeal approach is the worst possible way to try this stuff out.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is there anything we haven't heard before?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

smug jeebus posted:

Them

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I've seen many posts from people who tried it who were positive or neutral. Most of the people who hate it, hate it on paper. The drama is so predictable. The arguments play out like every major rules change for every major tabletop game system ever made.

I am personally going to wait for the full suite of rules changes before I pass judgement, because I feel like the piecemeal approach is the worst possible way to try this stuff out.

I agree with waiting.

But locally we tried ROAD and no one liked it. Mainly with stuff like someone rolling to move first multiple turns in a row, and we felt it actively punished aggressive play. I'm hoping that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Though I'm not holding my breath for anything more than "well, I guess I can play with this".

smug jeebus posted:

I should have taken notes, but I was listening to it while working.

There was a pretty hot take from one of the devs though, he implied FFG didn't know what they were really doing because of stuff like bumping existing and that FFG is "a board game company" but AMG knows better because of their "pedigree".

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 27, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Floppychop posted:

There was a pretty hot take from one of the devs though, he implied FFG didn't know what they were really doing because of stuff like bumping existing and that FFG is "a board game company" but AMG knows better because of their "pedigree".

I'll remain hopeful but yikes

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not all the way through but yeah man it's pretty much horseshit and non-answers so far. They acknowledge that tabletop games can get dry and unfun if you have perfect information, and that initiative bids and "correct" moves are bad design but then leap from that to "we need randomness with ship sequencing." They literally claimed that it was somehow more satisfying and generated poker-style bluffing and opponent reading moments after they implemented random order, as if that just wasn't already a fundamental element of the rules and meta beforehand. Also, of course, ignoring the fact that you're rolling dice and often times in fact there is not a correct best move for a given round. Basically their hearts are in the right place but their solution is insane.

They continue to come off incredibly arrogant, as already said. Absolute bullshit that they're claiming they "tried everything" and the only fix they found was ROAD. I don't know what's gotten into them at AMG because they seem like fairly affable people but they need some loving humble pie.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They continue to come off incredibly arrogant, as already said. Absolute bullshit that they're claiming they "tried everything" and the only fix they found was ROAD. I don't know what's gotten into them at AMG because they seem like fairly affable people but they need some loving humble pie.
It's the MCP effect, they think that game is successful because their rules, but it's only because it's Marvel.

Edit: retracting the generalization. This was only an opinion based on worthless anecdotal evidence.

Talas fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 27, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Talas posted:

It's the MCP effect, they think that game is successful because their rules, but it's only because it's Marvel.
[Citation Needed]

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

[Citation Needed]
I'm going to admit my evidence is purely anecdotal and retract the generalization.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It is pretty suboptimal to have a single studio working on directly competing types of games. Small model count fast and competitive skirmish games. Not many people have the time to go all in on two such games. Xwing's point of divergence was prepainted, but wasn't there talk of ending that?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm not all the way through but yeah man it's pretty much horseshit and non-answers so far. They acknowledge that tabletop games can get dry and unfun if you have perfect information, and that initiative bids and "correct" moves are bad design but then leap from that to "we need randomness with ship sequencing." They literally claimed that it was somehow more satisfying and generated poker-style bluffing and opponent reading moments after they implemented random order, as if that just wasn't already a fundamental element of the rules and meta beforehand. Also, of course, ignoring the fact that you're rolling dice and often times in fact there is not a correct best move for a given round. Basically their hearts are in the right place but their solution is insane.

it's wild that people who came from warmachine would say poo poo like that

dude, that game prided itself on perfect info, precise moves, etc, it was not lolrandom poo poo

The intelligent decisions in ROAD tend to be a lot less aggressive and interesting because you actually can't try to predict what your opponent will do, because you don't know who goes first in some situations. The X-wing hard reads were about knowing what was possible, not having it be random.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol that they had like 60+ questions submitted from the community for this and they asked like 4 total and 2 of them were about pets and pizza or something.

Jesus it took them months to come up with scenarios and they picked loving capture the flag lol.

Ok back to never listening to an xwing podcast ever again

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

hoiyes posted:

It is pretty suboptimal to have a single studio working on directly competing types of games. Small model count fast and competitive skirmish games. Not many people have the time to go all in on two such games. Xwing's point of divergence was prepainted, but wasn't there talk of ending that?

I think you'll find it's absolutely optimal, when the goal is juicing profits for a couple of quarters before selling the company.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't know what's gotten into them at AMG because they seem like fairly affable people but they need some loving humble pie.

I was initially planning on getting the Razor Crest and Gauntlet just because of neat spaceship models, but I'm not sure I'll even do that now.

It's clear that they think only their ideas have merit and anyone else doesn't have a clue. They also seem to be chasing bogeyman "problems" and doing slapdash attempts to fix them. I think it was in this thread where someone said "they pulled on one thread and now the whole sweater is unraveling and they don't know how to fix it".

Edit: I think MCP is the biggest factor of their arrogance. They made a good game (I haven't played it, but most speak well of it) with a huge IP and think they're the greatest game devs to have ever existed. It's feeling like a lightning doesn't strike twice scenario.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 27, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Floppychop posted:

I was initially planning on getting the Razor Crest and Gauntlet just because of neat spaceship models, but I'm not sure I'll even do that now.

It's clear that they think only their ideas have merit and anyone else doesn't have a clue. They also seem to be chasing bogeyman "problems" and doing slapdash attempts to fix them. I think it was in this thread where someone said "they pulled on one thread and now the whole sweater is unraveling and they don't know how to fix it".

Edit: I think MCP is the biggest factor of their arrogance. They made a good game (I haven't played it, but most speak well of it) with a huge IP and think they're the greatest game devs to have ever existed. It's feeling like a lightning doesn't strike twice scenario.

It's like they played 2 games, posted their gripes about bumping, and decided to fix it based on that.

I don't know too too much about MCP but I do know warmachine, which is where a lot of the AMG staff comes from, and, lol, warmachine was great for a time, but man, yeah, high on their own farts sounds about right.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
AMG has made the perfect jumping off point for X-Wing.

What knobs.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I am constantly amazed that Shick doesn't get punched at every show he goes to.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Unrelated to the current discussion:
My seven-year-old saw my old v1.0 starter sets (I never bought more than that) and got very excited about playing with x-wings, but I don't think we'd enjoy playing against each other.
Any suggestions for how to set up a couple cooperative scenarios where we could blow up some "AI" TIE fighters together?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dav posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion:
My seven-year-old saw my old v1.0 starter sets (I never bought more than that) and got very excited about playing with x-wings, but I don't think we'd enjoy playing against each other.
Any suggestions for how to set up a couple cooperative scenarios where we could blow up some "AI" TIE fighters together?

Look for “Heroes of the Atauri Cluster”. Someone made a bunch of co op missions to run. It’s good.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks!

For anyone else trying to dig it up, looks like the original location is dead but it's being kept alive by a Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/872507722883025/

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This weekend we had our first good-sized face to face tournament in Australia. Think we had 50+

I have not played any X-wing in 18+ months since I can't stand playing it online. Went 4-2 and I am extremely proud. I took my Rey/OldPoe/Awing Ace (Zizi this time) list I flew for dang near a year before COVID and it fit like a glove.

I had one game that ROAD definitely influenced. My opponent lost the ROAD roles 5 turns in a row and Poe just ate his Jango alive. Double reposition/action I6's are just OP in road.

The highlight of the day was my stream match against a Vader Defender list. Turn 1 Rey went full blast and caught an interceptor trying to turn away and 1 shot it. Turn 2 Rey & Poe killed the second. Friends of mine watching the stream started blowing up my phone with "SWEEP THE LEG" I killed Vader a couple turns later.

Overall it was just great to get back together with everyone. ROAD sucks and everyone is very apprehensive with the other rules that have been proposed, especially tournament scoring changing over to the lovely Armada system.

Did finally get my ring

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Raged posted:

This weekend we had our first good-sized face to face tournament in Australia. Think we had 50+

I have not played any X-wing in 18+ months since I can't stand playing it online. Went 4-2 and I am extremely proud. I took my Rey/OldPoe/Awing Ace (Zizi this time) list I flew for dang near a year before COVID and it fit like a glove.

I had one game that ROAD definitely influenced. My opponent lost the ROAD roles 5 turns in a row and Poe just ate his Jango alive. Double reposition/action I6's are just OP in road.

The highlight of the day was my stream match against a Vader Defender list. Turn 1 Rey went full blast and caught an interceptor trying to turn away and 1 shot it. Turn 2 Rey & Poe killed the second. Friends of mine watching the stream started blowing up my phone with "SWEEP THE LEG" I killed Vader a couple turns later.

Overall it was just great to get back together with everyone. ROAD sucks and everyone is very apprehensive with the other rules that have been proposed, especially tournament scoring changing over to the lovely Armada system.

Did finally get my ring

Might I get full specifics on the list?

also congrats.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

ROAD isn't in the official rules yet, or is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

polynominal-c posted:

ROAD isn't in the official rules yet, or is it?

Please be safe and follow the rules of the ROAD