Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Excuse the tangent but I heard that dude is still writing raps in prison can you even imagine lol.

I feel bad because this made me laugh. I bet his beats are sick. He does sick pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

bye jorp posted:

We are now at the point where race, ethnicity, “gender,” or sexual preference is first, accepted as the fundamental characteristic defining each person (just as the radical leftists were hoping) and second, is now treated as the most important qualification for study, research and employment.
This is so funny because being a cishet white male (the default) is the one and only defining characteristic of these schmucks. And being a cishet white male has been the most important qualification for study, research, and employment since forever.

Jorp upset he's been asked to consider other viewpoints.

dumb idiot posted:

In Hollywood, memos are distributed about proper storytelling and how many characters of what color or gender should be in a movie
It's always funny to me when alt right people pull this poo poo out. If they engaged with the left at all, they'd see the left hates this too. Hollywood is shallow and greedy, these quotas and madlib style inclusion aren't real diversity.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 19, 2022

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

He was def fired

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How long has it been since he had any research or teaching obligations? Wasn’t his status basically professor-at-large or something, where he drew a paycheck but didn’t do anything?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

His drug-addled brain would probably explode if you told him his home may have equity.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

How long has it been since he had any research or teaching obligations? Wasn’t his status basically professor-at-large or something, where he drew a paycheck but didn’t do anything?

at least since the beginning of 2018 when the IDW officially came into being and he started doing his stupid book tour

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
It's a hilariously crybaby rant of alt-right and white supremacist talking points which was funny and I got some joy out of his obvious butthurt-ness, but holy gently caress dude learn how to make a point.
There's about 4000 more words than necessary in there does he not know how to make a point in a brief concise manner? I tried reading the whole thing but my eyes just started glazing over as I jumped from talking point to talking point.

Anyways, I hope he relapses and dies of an overdose finally

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Fattest PI posted:

There's about 4000 more words than necessary in there does he not know how to make a point in a brief concise manner?

No. He doesn't.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i found out that that dipshit will be collecting a paycheck for the next 5 years as well :barf:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

jordan b "precise in your speech" peterson often runs into the problem that he is pathologically incapable of arriving directly at a point, so he relies on interviewers to shortcut to what he's actually trying to say so that he can claim he never actually said it, and his written work is a labyrinth of anecdotes and waffle designed to wear down the reader.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"The students responded positively to me" which is why they filled your office door lock with glue, Jorpito.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

The Fattest PI posted:

It's a hilariously crybaby rant of alt-right and white supremacist talking points which was funny and I got some joy out of his obvious butthurt-ness, but holy gently caress dude learn how to make a point.
There's about 4000 more words than necessary in there does he not know how to make a point in a brief concise manner? I tried reading the whole thing but my eyes just started glazing over as I jumped from talking point to talking point.

Anyways, I hope he relapses and dies of an overdose finally

The very first thing I noticed about this man is that no, he can never make a point. Making a point means he can't eventually walk it back and say "well that's just your conclusion based on my story". He simply continues telling anecdotes until someone else makes the conclusion he wants them to make.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There's something about "Maps of Meaning" that I don't know... entrances me?

Not the book itself, no no. I haven't read it, and I probably won't.

It's the title. It comes across as the title for a book that would have been barely published, destined to be forgotten about for decades, only to be seen in dusty bookstores, in a messy pile of others, while you're looking for something else. It's just one of those "old, random, completely forgettable" book titles, more so than something like "12 rules for life" or whatever the gently caress it's called. Does anyone else feel this way?

Ironic that I accuse it of being forgettable, and yet I made this post. :shrug:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jorp is going to start his own college. with blackjack. and nazis

actually forget the blackjack and the college

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's the title. It comes across as the title for a book that would have been barely published, destined to be forgotten about for decades, only to be seen in dusty bookstores, in a messy pile of others, while you're looking for something else. It's just one of those "old, random, completely forgettable" book titles, more so than something like "12 rules for life" or whatever the gently caress it's called. Does anyone else feel this way?

It feels like the plot device from a novel where someone wrote about (plot relevant supernatural power) back in the 60s and only by deciphering maps of meaning can the young protagonist figure out their new power before the spring formal

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Robo Reagan posted:

This is a completely probable grift

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Benzos and nazis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nazis do traditionally love their drugs

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Just when you thought the University of Austin couldn't get sexier.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, what would you even say if you saw Jorp at a club?!

I'd ask if he has any drugs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Another Bill posted:

Wow I wonder how they finally got him to leave. I might have to reach out to a friend there and see if I can get the deets

peterson showed up on campus and tried to talk to his fellow professors but whenenever he would try to talk to one they would just made a farting sound and leave the lounge

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
its going to take years for the university to cleanse themselves of the legacy jorp has left

and by legacy i mean cum on his office carpets

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's about the same as any other academic philosophy book published in the last 70 years, which may stick out to you as the mark of something you'd never read inasmuch as the name isn't something like "Skull of the Dragon Lich"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Just when you thought the University of Austin couldn't get sexier.

Don't put that evil on us.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

its going to take years for the university to cleanse themselves of the legacy jorp has left

and by legacy i mean cum on his office carpets

i'm pretty sure it's in his contract that you're not allowed to clean that. and he he will fight the tide of woke leftist bleach to the end

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 20, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's about the same as any other academic philosophy book published in the last 70 years, which may stick out to you as the mark of something you'd never read inasmuch as the name isn't something like "Skull of the Dragon Lich"

Fair. To be honest, I don't need "Dragon Lich" in the title to go and read it. Jorp-aside, a title like "12 Rules for Life" would catch my eye and attention way more than Maps of Meaning, which just sounds so horrendously bland.

And those 3 examples you've shown are right on par with that.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

Fair. To be honest, I don't need "Dragon Lich" in the title to go and read it. Jorp-aside, a title like "12 Rules for Life" would catch my eye and attention way more than Maps of Meaning, which just sounds so horrendously bland.

And those 3 examples you've shown are right on par with that.

Maps of meaning sounds like the title of a self published book that was only read by close family members of the writer, and even then only under duress

There’s something about it’s smug pretentiousness that’s kinda off putting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Silver John posted:

Maps of meaning sounds like the title of a self published book that was only read by close family members of the writer, and even then only under duress

So does 12 Rules For Life tbf

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Silver John posted:

Yes, this exactly.

It feels both new agey and completely milquetoast.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

I think this is just a thing with the entire genre of applied psychology books. A family friend who was a psychologist passed away and when I went through his books they were all from the 70s and all had titles like "Powers of Mind" and "Connecting the lines: Rebirth/Apocalypse"

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

daily reminder to not take life lessons from someone who got addicted to tranquilizers and decided to not own up to any of it by withrawing in a coma like a cowardly little bitch

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mikojan posted:

daily reminder to not take life lessons from someone who got addicted to tranquilizers and decided to not own up to any of it by withrawing in a coma like a cowardly little bitch

Hey, he also ate (still is eating?) a bunch of red meat for a while and probably hosed up his GI tract for a good bit of time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I mean you say that but I'd totally pick up The System of Objects to check out the back cover, because that is so powerfully unassuming it might be cool. Maps of Meaning sits in the much broader sphere of titles that are both dull and pretentious.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
maps of meaning, like a map with empty unknown territory on it that says "thar be chaos dragons" and it's like amazonia or some poo poo idk

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Didn't JP say somewhere - possibly even in the foreword to Maps of Meaning? - that he considered it his magnum opus and a seismic work of intellect that was going to demonstrate how he, Jordan Peterson, had finally figured out how the life, society, the world and the universe worked? And it's (by all accounts and from the snippets I've seen when other people pull them up to mock it...) a deeply impenetrable morass of nonsense about symbolism and Feminine Chaos Dragons that basically boils down to "Women, amirit?" and "Folk tales and legends often contain common architypes and morals that we still recognise today". Genius.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I ended up actually reading this and it ends on a literal shout out to Vladimir Putin lmao

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Are his books as poorly edited and meandering as that article because :lmao:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its no Godel, Escher, Bach

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
You're all snowflakes, I shriek as I quit my cushy job weeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Private Cumshoe posted:

Are his books as poorly edited and meandering as that article because :lmao:

Oh no, not at all.

The article does not contain any bible verses, anecdotes fantasizing about assaulting children, retellings of dreams he's had, or idle musings on the illusion of happiness.

The books are so much worse than this. :lol::lol: