Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ah, but you see the abuse is what fueled the development towards utopia. An ethical society would not validate the abuse by doing anything about it.

The Ones Who Walk Away To The Fish Camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
that quote about the le guin book is from a chud who promotes a “red pill nerds” podcast and has antisemitic opinions about sci-fi fantasy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
DO NOT read another book

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

The Ones Who Walk Away To The Fish Camps

I must've missed a funny post or something, what's up with the fish camps thing?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Animal Friend posted:

I went to a live audience with the Dalai Lama like 15 years back and it was amazing.

It was "A Conference on Modern Spirituality with the Dalai Lama" or something. People with pre-screened, long winded questions would approach the front of the stadium and ask him about the nature of spirituality and the struggles of reality.

He had this ornate throne he was sitting on high above everybody and he kept moving around the little microphones he had pointed at him and distractedly giggling and making child-like noises. He was clearly super bored.

The people with questions would walk to the front, greet him and ask things like "In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?"

After every question, there was an awkward silence, followed by him saying "I don't know. Hehehehehehe." Rinse and repeat for like 1.5 hours.

At the end of it some university went up and gave him an honorary doctorate and he kept excitedly playing with the big floppy hat they gave him.

e: I was there as part of a study excursion, not because I was seeking some kind of insight, so it was more hilarious than tragic for me.

you may not like it but this is what peak enlightenment looks like

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

tokin opposition posted:

DO NOT read another book

I must've missed a funny post or something, what's up with the fish camps thing?

That's Richard Dreyfuss's kid who fell for the dumb "move to red states" comic and got mad that 1-day delivery didn't work there, right?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

FuturePastNow posted:

you may not like it but this is what peak enlightenment looks like

this could be literally true, a joke, or actually both at once and none of us would ever know

i can say poo poo like that, travel wherever, and ask 1/8th of whatever the dali lama does (plus expenses, we can haggle)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

That's Richard Dreyfuss's kid who fell for the dumb "move to red states" comic and got mad that 1-day delivery didn't work there, right?

Didn’t he turn out to be living in sun valley which is basically Idaho’s attempt at Vail or Jackson Hole

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Animal Friend posted:

I went to a live audience with the Dalai Lama like 15 years back and it was amazing.

It was "A Conference on Modern Spirituality with the Dalai Lama" or something. People with pre-screened, long winded questions would approach the front of the stadium and ask him about the nature of spirituality and the struggles of reality.

He had this ornate throne he was sitting on high above everybody and he kept moving around the little microphones he had pointed at him and distractedly giggling and making child-like noises. He was clearly super bored.

The people with questions would walk to the front, greet him and ask things like "In a world where technology is so dominant and connects us all in such an obvious way, how do you think we can find the time to still examine our personal spirituality and how that connects us, beyond the physical?"

After every question, there was an awkward silence, followed by him saying "I don't know. Hehehehehehe." Rinse and repeat for like 1.5 hours.

At the end of it some university went up and gave him an honorary doctorate and he kept excitedly playing with the big floppy hat they gave him.

e: I was there as part of a study excursion, not because I was seeking some kind of insight, so it was more hilarious than tragic for me.

Guy has been treated like he is magic since he was a toddler and people are like “How is he always so cheerful and serene? Surely this is enlightenment!”

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Guy has been treated like he is magic since he was a toddler and people are like “How is he always so cheerful and serene? Surely this is enlightenment!”
Sounds like more theocratic royalty should be chill like that dude. Maybe other royalty too?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

B33rChiller posted:

Sounds like more theocratic royalty should be chill like that dude. Maybe other royalty too?

the important first step is having no real political power

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the Chinese appointed Dalai Lama will always act respectfully at QA sessions and give thoughtful answers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the important first step is having no real political power

He's a wholesome man now that the lama can no longer skin peasants.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Does he still spit on people?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Brawnfire posted:

you're thinking of the dalai llama

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/ResultsPDQ/status/1484183217250791431

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wait, is the idea there that the entire restaurant is above the ground and your food comes to you down the little elevator? That's amazing, I'm shocked I haven't seen that style of fast food building before. When will that be real?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/alexmoss/status/1484138206291443714?s=21

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gripweed posted:

Wait, is the idea there that the entire restaurant is above the ground and your food comes to you down the little elevator? That's amazing, I'm shocked I haven't seen that style of fast food building before. When will that be real?

Goon amazed by needlessly complex system designed to minimize social interaction, news at eleven

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gripweed posted:

Yes, they're actually building that Taco Bell in Minnesota, it's called Taco Bell Defy: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/taco-bell-defy-restaurant-drive-thru-concept

But also lol it's basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOcuC-uz3pU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Meanwhile, let's check in with middle America to see if everyone's still normal and cool:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1484123539888386053?s=20

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

but i wanted to gently caress that green m&m wtf

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the orange m&m has anxiety now.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

she's getting new shoes

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Don't know why they're even trying when corporations already nailed dynamic, progressive inclusiveness years ago.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

the orange m&m has anxiety now.

It always did

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I am a millennial with general anxiety disorder, work for the CIA and am the Blue M&M

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Don't know why they're even trying when corporations already nailed dynamic, progressive inclusiveness years ago.

I stop lol that they named the kid in the chair Wheels

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
yes Santa Claus, BIPOC M&Ms do exist rear end in a top hat!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m perfectly chill. Perfectly chill. The most innocuous comment set you off, not me. People are shockingly stupid, except for me. If that upsets you please shut the fuck up.
They’re gonna keep everything the same about the green candy but insist she’s trans.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I didn't know m&m stood for Marxism & Madness

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The article says the mascots will show up in more body types, so I can't wait to see a cubic one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Delthalaz posted:

They're gonna make her even hotter.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

gandlethorpe posted:

The article says the mascots will show up in more body types, so I can't wait to see a cubic one.

they're already as round as the standard american, hard to up the ante on body positivity there

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
the Green M&M now has giant tits

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

M&M's iconic characters — six different colored "lentils," each with their own personality — have gotten a modern makeover for a "more dynamic, progressive world," Mars said Thursday. The redesign is focused on creating a sense of belonging and community, as well as spotlighting the character's "personalities, rather than their gender." 
The most notable changes include the green M&M's redesign, which will exchange the white heeled go-go boots she was given in 1997 for "cool, laid-back sneakers to reflect her effortless confidence." Mars had received criticism for the green M&M's sexy characterization. The green M&M will also be "better represented to reflect confidence and empowerment, as a strong female, and known for much more than her boots." 

The green M&M and the brown M&M will have a more friendly relationship, showcasing a "force supporting women." The two characters' dynamic will have them "together throwing shine and not shade," the company said. The two characters have sometimes been at odds in advertisements, but they have also been seen as friends — or more than friends in others, like this viral tweet from 2015 showing the two holding hands on a beach.

Mars also added that the brown M&M's heels will be lowered to a professional heel height. 
This should be an Onion article but it's not

Connor O'Malley is gonna lose his poo poo over this travesty

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Loucks posted:

They’re gonna keep everything the same about the green candy but insist she’s trans.

Chuds referring to her as a Skittle and then smugly mugging for their YouTube audience.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The green M&M is interested in STEM and it is IMPORTANT you know that before eating a handful of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I can't quite get over calling them "lentils"