Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1483876785758605314

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1483898416979918848

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Brophyst/status/1483486924383866883

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

BoldFace posted:

That's only if both sides agree to play clean. Good luck with Russia's land invasion if Ukraine chooses the nuclear option and turns the eastern border into no man's land with dirty bombs.

Russia needn't hold Ukrainian territory to cause damage, is what I meant.

Ukraine also doesn't have dirty bombs - that's the whole reason why we are where we are.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 19, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't really think dirty bombs are the deterrent or danger that movies, books and video games have imagined them to be. It's using an explosive device to scatter radioactive mateiral, it's nothing near the destructive or lethal power of any nuke, not to mention the deterrence factor. poo poo, in practice they're probably outdone by conventional explosives and chemical weapons.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 19, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AFAIK dirty bombs aren't even something that exists outside of fiction.

Anyway, nuking territory (even in defense) would be a surefire way to go from being a sympathetic underdog on the defense to international pariah.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, nuking territory (even in defense) would be a surefire way to go from being a sympathetic underdog on the defense to international pariah.

Dirty bombs are possible, but their possible affects are questionable in effectiveness. Basically they'd likely be less effective than any other form of explosive/poison gas/etc.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 19, 2022

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Dirty bombs are possible, but their possible affects are questionable in effectiveness. Basically they'd likely be less effective than any other form of explosive.

Problem with them is they have little to no stopping power. Your enemy dies a few weeks after you hit them. Generally the idea with a weapon is stopping the enemy that instant.

It would be like loading a regular bomb with asbestos, instead of mustard gas. Not even as deadly, and even for those it does kill, they die far too late to make a tactical difference.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The idea of the country where Chernobyl is deliberately creating a radiological disaster to stop a Russian troop advance is pretty funny.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Oh cool lots of new posts in the East Europe thread!

Oh it's all Clancychat...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Come on, the apparent fact that an 80s numbers station started posting epic memes all of a sudden is funny as hell (i.e. WW3).

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sinteres posted:

The idea of the country where Chernobyl is deliberately creating a radiological disaster to stop a Russian troop advance is pretty funny.
brb, ghostwriting a Clancy novel where the whole Chernobyl containment update has actually been a Western-backed weaponization of the facility

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.axios.com/biden-russia-ukraine-invasion-fa638311-5596-4fd2-8135-a01abdf0ff98.html

Biden is saying that Russia may politely enact a minor invasion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

As a treat, I assume

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

Pretty simple, the only countries with agency are China and the US so Russia has to choose and submit to occupation and give up its nukes to one or the other and maybe there'll be some loans. Thus is inevitable because strong spheres of influence hurr durr

Also if you don't submit then WW3 :ohdear:

Glad Biden agrees and cooler heads have prevailed!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Cobalt bombs exist

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
having a policy outside of biggest war ever NOW means ur a tankie

thats right, biden wants to invade hungary

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sleepy Joe posted:

"If it's something significantly short of a significant invasion or not even significant — major military forces coming in...for example, it's one thing to determine that if they continue to use cyber efforts, we can respond the same way, with cyber."

You dumb geriatric gently caress, that's like saying you'll fire missiles into Russian soil.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

As a treat, I assume

Yeah, I forgot the exact salami meme phrasing, so just made a normal post.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eastern Europe: ...Oh it's all Clancychat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

Cobalt bombs exist

Do they as anything more than a concept? I don't think even at the height of the Cold War the superpowers did any serious implementation, and Ukraine has none for sure.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Conspiratiorist posted:

You dumb geriatric gently caress, that's like saying you'll fire missiles into Russian soil.

lol, what? no it isn’t. the us and russia have been doing tit for tat with cyber for a while, with Russia being far more aggressive on that front

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Do they as anything more than a concept? I don't think even at the height of the Cold War the superpowers did any serious implementation, and Ukraine has none for sure.

No, it’s just a romantic doomsday device.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Putin can absolutely take his ball and go home without excess domestic cost because he ultimately is accountable to only a handful of regime stakeholders over whom he has a great deal of control.
Putin needs some support from the general public. Unfortunately his social contract of improving Russian living standards evaporated years ago and now he has switched to military intervention to get better public approval. He can't pull out of Ukraine because many would turn against him by asking what was it all for? If he escalates he risks more economic hardship for the country further whittling away his public support.

Exiting Ukraine(this includes Crimea) would be the best option although his public image would probably take an irreversible turn from big tough guy to lame old dude. It would be better long term for Russia-Ukraine relations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Budzilla posted:

Exiting Ukraine(this includes Crimea) would be the best option

For Putin?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It is funny that there's a possibility in the next two months everyone calling half the post in this thread Clancy Chadtwill become the trolls and the Clancy chatters will beocme legitimate posting.

Gotta love narrative flips in the face of realpolitik

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It is funny that there's a possibility in the next two months everyone calling half the post in this thread Clancy Chadtwill become the trolls and the Clancy chatters will beocme legitimate posting.

Gotta love narrative flips in the face of realpolitik

Russia making entirely predictable moves will not retroactively justify months of hand wringing about the U.S. nuking Russia after Polish armies spontaneously march into Ukraine to meet Russian tanks in the fields of wheat. Or the today's drivel about Ukraine nuking their own population to own the libs Russians.

It's honestly a bit distressing to realize that you may not even get which posts get labelled Clancychat and why.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Budzilla posted:

Putin needs some support from the general public. Unfortunately his social contract of improving Russian living standards evaporated years ago and now he has switched to military intervention to get better public approval. He can't pull out of Ukraine because many would turn against him by asking what was it all for? If he escalates he risks more economic hardship for the country further whittling away his public support.

Exiting Ukraine(this includes Crimea) would be the best option although his public image would probably take an irreversible turn from big tough guy to lame old dude. It would be better long term for Russia-Ukraine relations.

I really wonder how all of the wealthy and educated Russians view all of this especially those with ties to Putin's advisors, diplomats, etc. Some of them have spent their entire lives trying to build or re-build the Country from the collapse of the soviet union to a modern economy with a decent standard of living but with all this military adventurism that could quickly turn that into a screeching halt with economic sanctions. All your business partners that you've known for years are going to hate you for something you have little to do with and now it's illegal to trade your goods and services.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I started the first Eastern Europe thread because Ukraine was invited to an EU Eastern Partnership meeting in Vilnius in 2013 and I had a feeling the Russians would not react well. Despite the many times, this thread has sunk into clancy chat I have to concede clancy-like thinking started the discussion.

You can always rely on Russia being a bully with their neighbors when a country they consider in their sphere of influence is led astray by the satanic ungodly west.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I really wonder how all of the wealthy and educated Russians view all of this especially those with ties to Putin's advisors, diplomats, etc. Some of them have spent their entire lives trying to build or re-build the Country from the collapse of the soviet union to a modern economy with a decent standard of living but with all this military adventurism that could quickly turn that into a screeching halt with economic sanctions. All your business partners that you've known for years are going to hate you for something you have little to do with and now it's illegal to trade your goods and services.

Russia is a petrostate, and oil and gas continue being lucrative no matter what happens. The number of people dependent on production and exportation of gas is huge and it's all state owned so there's plenty of profits to spread to keep middle class loyal.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Budzilla posted:

this includes Crimea

Do you think Crimeans want to go back to Ukraine? Also, what do you think Ukraine would do there if they got it back?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nenonen posted:

Russia is a petrostate, and oil and gas continue being lucrative no matter what happens. The number of people dependent on production and exportation of gas is huge and it's all state owned so there's plenty of profits to spread to keep middle class loyal.

Give the current conditions of the middle class, things don't seem that great?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nenonen posted:

When the oil runs out the collapse of the petrostates is going to be quite the sight to see

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What about it?

Russia still failed to answer the question of "and than what?" If their demands arent met. Other than invading Ukraine for reasons. I still don't think they'll do it, and if for some gopnik mentality they actually go for it, than what? They get bogged down in a war with 40 m people nation which is the biggest in their post WWII adventures. Not only will they not be able to meaningfully do anything else until its over somehow but it might spell the end to Putin regime.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I'd rather see us transition away from fossils BEFORE we have used them all!

But that would still result in a dramatic fall in demand and collapse of those economies that didn't invest in time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/status/1483749895760760833

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Poland will absolutely bend the knee to zelensky and send it s bannermen to defend kievfell from the Night King.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I feel like Russia is going "3! 2! IM REALLY GOING TO DO IT! DONT MAKE ME! 2 AND A HALF! 2 AND A QUARTER! IM SERIOUS NOW!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Airport Formerly Known As Nursultan

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Grouchio posted:

Don't they do that for every olympics anyway?

The doping? Yes. The smuggling of incriminating urine samples out of the official lab and replacing them with clean ones under FSB guidance was a new thing. Mind, I'm not saying that the Sotchi games was planned as a way to drum up enough public support and goodwill to invade Ukraine, but I'm saying that they quickly recognized that Putin's approval ratings were too low to do this comfortably and realized that exeptional success in the Sotchi games would bolster his ratings. Which it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Even putting aside really weird fantasies of Ukraine nuking their own people (:wtc:), Russia is facing an uphill battle if they ultimately decide to move. Ukrainians can still inflict a good amount of damage on troops that are numerically and technologically superior (at least on paper) and conscripts coming home in bodybags is never a good look. Not to mention the fact that Russian troops have been basically camping in their staging positions for a good few weeks now in the worst weather imaginable, which takes a constantly increasing toll on their ability to operate. (Imagine sleeping in a tent in the middle of winter for five weeks and then being told to start running towards gunfire.) All this means that the more Putin is stalled from acting, more the chance of halting the operation or at least seriously limiting its scope.

Not to mention that even with all the sweet petroroubles rolling in, Russia is in a demographic and economic decline and loving around in Ukraine will not help matters. It's... not a good situation for Putin, no matter what he decides.