Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Blaziken386 posted:

its pokemon, but with touhou characters instead of pokemon

basically think of it as Emerald, but with a slightly modified type chart, Phys/Spec split implemented, and a more challenging (but not stupidly hard) difficulty curve

there's a bunch of touhoumon games of varying quality but purple is one of the better ones that's easier to understand

TPDP is also somewhat more of a pain in the rear end to install (especially if your system isn't set to japanese), and is tailored to people who already like touhou, whereas Purple can be played on anything that can run GBA games and requires no knowledge beyond "oh yeah, I think I've seen Bad Apple at some point"

Neat. I haven't actually played a pokemon game a while so I'll probably try these older style ones before getting into this new one :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
First big wave of C/D's is going out, most of the people posting stuff to twitter have taken it down and put up a very lawyer-friendly copy-paste.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

IronicDongz posted:

like how lucario in smash looks to be nearly 6 feet tall but canonically it's supposed to be less than 4

Smash is weird about every character's size for obvious reasons. Like, canonically Kirby is eight inches tall, and Olimar is even smaller, but that doesn't really work for a fighting game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Move list is out and its a doozy, down to 177 moves and almost all of them have been radically rebalanced. Like all the Pulse moves (Dark, Dragon, Water) now have Swift-style perfect accuracy. Pin missile is now a 40 damage attack with no multi-attack component. No Surf so special water attacks are Octazooka or Hydro Pump.

Also for everything above about 70 base Power they toned the power down. All the 80-95 base power moves have been standardized at 80 base power. All the 120 base power moves at 100 base power etc. Its gonna be pretty wild.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So can I have a cup of multiplayer news?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zore posted:

Move list is out and its a doozy, down to 177 moves and almost all of them have been radically rebalanced. Like all the Pulse moves (Dark, Dragon, Water) now have Swift-style perfect accuracy. Pin missile is now a 40 damage attack with no multi-attack component. No Surf so special water attacks are Octazooka or Hydro Pump.

Also for everything above about 70 base Power they toned the power down. All the 80-95 base power moves have been standardized at 80 base power. All the 120 base power moves at 100 base power etc. Its gonna be pretty wild.

This sort of makes sense given all moves now have 3 forms, I imagine if you want to go over 100 you’ll have to sacrifice speed/number of turns.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zore posted:

I wouldn't expect this to make it back to the main style games

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

This sort of makes sense given all moves now have 3 forms, I imagine if you want to go over 100 you’ll have to sacrifice speed/number of turns.

Mm. I'm alright with this balance in game specifically but out of game it'd be something of a disaster I think. You know as weird as the whole Isekai business is it actually leaves the door open in an important way. It means all new mons are transferable via you guessed it "TIME TRAVEL". So I have to admit I'm very curious how they're going to manage that going forward into the main series games. Like new moves are going to be transferred as well right? And that means new status effects etc. But since abilities aren't a thing in game does that mean transferred mons will suddenly develop them moving forward? And how will the poke balls be adapted in game? Will there be new sprites? A lotta questions here.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
They could just take the SWSH approach to transferred moves and just go "This move doesn't work, please delete" like they did with a ton of old moves like Snatch.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hilariously, a lot of the moves that are in are ones that aren't in SwSh like Hidden Power.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

Hilariously, a lot of the moves that are in are ones that aren't in SwSh like Hidden Power.

But a lot of revealed ones are pretty clearly signature moves sooo....I mean honestly I don't know what the gently caress they're doing at this point.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Currently the approach for emulators is to play it for a bit in ryujinx then transfer your saves over to yuzu. Though you see some some weird graphical errors like Rowlet having no eye.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

To be fair Hidden Power is probably only back because Unown is, and will probably the only Pokémon that learns it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Please do not fellate Pikachu

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

The Pikachu shall not be denied.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are we making an ark in this? Are we Noah?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
When a trainer hates or fellates a Pikachu, that makes me a very sad Pancham

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When people say it has Monster Hunter elements what specific parts are they talking about, because I can’t stand MH style combat/mat farming/crafting mechanics and will probably just cancel my pre-order if this is Pokémon: Monster Hunter Edition.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

When people say it has Monster Hunter elements what specific parts are they talking about, because I can’t stand MH style combat/mat farming/crafting mechanics and will probably just cancel my pre-order if this is Pokémon: Monster Hunter Edition.

Apperantly, instead of being an open world, it's a mission based structure with enclosed areas of the larger map. Apperantly.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Base Stats:

• Growlithe-H: 60/75/45/65/50/55 (+5 HP/atk, -5 sp.atk/speed)
  • Arcanine-H: 95/115/80/95/80/90 (+5 HP/atk, -5 sp.atk/speed)
  • Voltorb-H: 40/30/50/55/55/100 (unchanged)
  • Electrode-H: 60/50/70/80/80/150 (unchanged)
  • Kleavor: 70/135/95/45/70/85 (+5 atk, +20 speed, -5 def, -10 sp.atk/sp.def compared to Scizor)
  • Typhlosion-H: 73/84/78/119/85/95 (+10 sp.atk, -5 HP/speed, no longer a Charizard clone!)
  • Qwilfish-H: 65/95/85/55/55/85 (unchanged)
  • Overqwil: 85/115/95/65/65/85
  • Sneasel-H: 55/95/55/35/75/115 (unchanged)
  • Sneasler: 80/130/60/40/80/120 (+10 HP/atk, -5 def/sp.atk/sp.def/speed compared to Weavile)
  • Ursaluna: 130/140/105/45/80/50
  • Wyrdeer: 103/105/72/105/75/65
  • Dialga centaur: 100/100/120/150/120/90 (-20 atk, +20 sp.def)
  • Palkia centaur: 90/100/100/150/120/120 (-20 atk, +20 speed)
  • Samurott-H: 90/108/80/100/65/85 (+8 atk, +15 speed, -5 HP/def/sp.def, -8 sp.atk)
  • Lilligant-H: 70/105/75/50/75/105 (+45 atk, +15 speed, -60 sp.atk)
  • Basculin-H: 70/92/65/80/55/98 (unchanged)
  • Basculegion male: 120/112/65/80/75/78
  • Basculegion female: 120/92/65/100/75/78
  • Zorua-H: 35/60/40/85/40/70 (+5 sp.atk/speed, -5 HP/atk)
  • Zoroark-H: 55/100/60/125/60/110 (+5 sp.atk/speed, -5 HP/atk)
  • Braviary-H: 110/83/70/112/70/65 (+10 HP, +55 sp.atk, -40 atk, -5 def/sp.def, -15 speed)
  • Sliggoo-H: 58/75/83/83/113/40 (+30 def, -10 HP, -20 speed)
  • Goodra-H: 80/100/100/110/150/60 (+30 def, -10 HP, -20 speed)
  • Avalugg-H: 95/127/184/34/36/38 (+10 atk/speed, -10 sp.atk/sp.def)
  • Decidueye-H: 88/112/80/95/95/60 (+10 HP, +5 atk, +5 def, -5 sp.atk/sp.def, -10 speed)
  • Enamorus: 70/115/70/135/80/106
  • Enamorus-T: 74/115/110/135/100/46

While Abilities aren't usable ingame, the data still exists (for transfer, maybe?):

• Any Hisuian form/evolution not listed: unchanged
  • Kleavor: Swarm/Sheer Force/Steadfast (hidden) (Technician replaced with Sheer Force)
  • Sneasel-H: Inner Focus/Keen Eye/Poison Touch (hidden) (Pickpocket replaced with Poison Touch)
  • Sneasler: Pressure/Poison Touch (hidden) (Pickpocket replaced with Poison Touch compared to Weavile)
  • Ursaluna: Guts/Bulletproof/Unnerve (hidden) (Quick Feet replaced with Bulletproof)
  • Lilligant-H: Chlorophyll/Hustle/Leaf Guard (hidden) (Own Tempo replaced with Hustle)
  • Basculin-H/Basculegion: Rattled/Adaptability/Mold Breaker (hidden) (Reckless/Rock Head replaced with Rattled)
  • Sliggoo-H/Goodra-H: Sap Sipper/Overcoat/Gooey (hidden) (Hydration replaced with Overcoat)
  • Avalugg-H: Strong Jaw/Ice Body/Sturdy (hidden) (Own Tempo replaced with Strong Jaw)
  • Enamorus: Healer/Contrary (hidden)
  • Enamorus-T: Overcoat

Misc status stuff:
Freeze and Sleep are gone, replaced entirely with Frostbite/Drowsy

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

The Monster Hunter elements are more of the world elements. There are base camps you start at that has a guy for healing/shop/party swapping, a crafting table, and another guy to end your expedition. At the end of your expedition you get a bunch of money and XP based on what you accomplished. There are main missions and side missions instead of the usual 'Beat 8 gyms and the bad guys'.

I'm like you and have no patience for crafting mechanics but I didn't find it annoying or tedious for the time I played last night. There's no real grind for materials, they're common enough that you won't be hurting for items, and there's always a shop you can just buy balls/potions/whatever and mostly ignore the crafting system. You can also just craft anywhere so you don't have to find a crafting table (unless you need to craft from materials in your storage).

The battle system for the most part is the same as the regular games but with a few additions. If you're able to sneak up on a pokemon that isn't enraged you can throw a ball to try and catch it without battling, or you can just run up and battle normally. You can also move around in battle which surprisingly adds a lot. There is a dodge button now as well because Pokemon can gently caress you up directly now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Do we know if the noble Pokémon get more interesting past the one they've already shown?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it had monster hunter combat it would be better

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do we know if the noble Pokémon get more interesting past the one they've already shown?

Yes.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wow, PLA gameplay looks a lot different than I expected:

https://twitter.com/Dragon_GameDev2/status/1482920297296769036

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Do we have a regular complete list of all the Pokémon in the game from the datamine? I’m trying to think up my team.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ok that sounds like it’s the parts of MH that I didn’t feel strongly one way or the other about, so I’m into it.

Johnny Joestar posted:

if it had monster hunter combat it would be better

No.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Nanigans posted:

Do we have a regular complete list of all the Pokémon in the game from the datamine? I’m trying to think up my team.

Yeah, here's the full Pokedex:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOb18XJFFjCWWOjiaIe39VCx68TFQ3VYu5hDdmvf-ug/edit#gid=0

Though something to be aware of if you're building a team before release, the Hisuian versions will have different typings and movesets in general are weird and crazy.

For example I ran into an Alpha Bibarel that demolished my team with a moveset of Rollout, Ice Shard, Aqua Tail, and some status move that buffed Attack and Defense. It was crazy for being level 18 and my team being around 14

CBD Corndog fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 20, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Missing all three of my favorites, huge bummer.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah, here's the full Pokedex:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HOb18XJFFjCWWOjiaIe39VCx68TFQ3VYu5hDdmvf-ug/edit#gid=0

Though something to be aware of if you're building a team before release, the Hisuian versions will have different typings and movesets in general are weird and crazy.

For example I ran into an Alpha Bibarel that demolished my team with a moveset of Rollout, Ice Shard, Aqua Tail, and some status move that buffed Attack and Defense. It was crazy for being level 18 and my team being around 14

Huh, so Ditto is not in. Did breeding already get confirmed to not be in?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yes.

It'd also have cuter monsters.

They should let the MonHun Stories team make a pokemon game.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I love H-Goodra getting overcoat and a physdef buff

What a beefy boi

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Willias posted:

You can also be hit during battles. Unknown yet if this means you actually take damage, but if you know your opponent has some big attacks, probably not a good idea to stand right next to your critter.

Does this mean I can be Ash Ketchum and dive in front of my pokemon to save it from a hyper beam?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Everything I've seen from this game so far is quite appealing. I'm getting pretty excited for it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Insurrectionist posted:

Does this mean I can be Ash Ketchum and dive in front of my pokemon to save it from a hyper beam?

Gonna go for those trainer KO strats like this is Mario Aces.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i wonder how Rest is going to work without Sleep

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Sort of? Like you can definitely run in between the pokemon and the move will knock you down. I don't think you take damage like you would getting hit outside of battle though.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Holy poo poo they deleted Earthquake :eyepop: this just got interesting.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shneak posted:

Holy poo poo they deleted Earthquake :eyepop: this just got interesting.

Gamefreak needs to be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
This is apparently not locked to post game:

Overworld phenomenon where the other starters can spawn:Link