Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Skeleton Mom posted:

i don't understand why anyone is giving this "leak" so much attention, it seems extremely fake to me. why would konami suddenly start supporting half a dozen alt formats that don't make them money when they could be pushing speed duels or importing rush duels which lets them sell new product? and why would they be doing any sort of promotion of in-person play when the pandemic is as bad as it's ever been?

Because they’re making a new computer app and probably want formats to sell it with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A friend and I tried to figure out what kinds of decks you could make in a pauper format a while back, and aside from Goukis, HEROs are also pretty functional in common-only, thanks to Dark Law and Shadow Mist being commons in LEHD. (Though Solid Soldier has unfortunately never dropped below rare.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Skeleton Mom posted:

i don't understand why anyone is giving this "leak" so much attention, it seems extremely fake to me. why would konami suddenly start supporting half a dozen alt formats that don't make them money when they could be pushing speed duels or importing rush duels which lets them sell new product? and why would they be doing any sort of promotion of in-person play when the pandemic is as bad as it's ever been?

From what I understand, it comes from several different partner stores. Which it logically would, if Konami are going to start supporting new formats those are among the first people they'd tell. If you want a 'why now', I've seen the thought that it might be because Magic are making a couple fumbles regarding pricing and product outreach to LGSes, and Konami are trying to snatch that market share.

There's also Master Duel coming, it'd make some sense if they included alternate formats there, and then providing rules for 'yeah you can run these in real life' as a companion for the physical game.

Mostly I just posted it because I thought the Deck Masters format was hilariously breakable, though. Even if that's not real, it's fun to think about how much you could bust open that format if you bring something like Last Warrior from Another Planet, Vanity's Fiend, or Denko Sekka.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It makes some sense for me to consider this real, if only because the anime just literally did exactly that. Yuuga created an Original Duel Development Road so now anyone can make their own rules about two episodes ago. It makes sense in the story itself, but it's even more logical if it was essentially setting up for Konami opening up to new rulesets in real life too.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

If Deck Masters is actually gonna be a format I can't imagine it not having a curated list of "hero" cards to choose from instead of being a total free for all. Basically Hearthstone but with Yugioh cards.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
We already got a sampler of that in the form of pendulum monster. Unique zone for passive effect, and monster zone as monster.

Edit: I think it would be fun to have a format where DM are chosen randomly for you, and you have to build a deck around it.

Edit 2: and your opponent knows what it is so they can try to counter your deck.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 23, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

We already got a sampler of that in the form of pendulum monster. Unique zone for passive effect, and monster zone as monster.

Edit: I think it would be fun to have a format where DM are chosen randomly for you, and you have to build a deck around it.

Edit 2: and your opponent knows what it is so they can try to counter your deck.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I assume Name Declaring card effect would be deadly against DM. :classiclol:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

girl dick energy posted:

A friend and I tried to figure out what kinds of decks you could make in a pauper format a while back, and aside from Goukis, HEROs are also pretty functional in common-only, thanks to Dark Law and Shadow Mist being commons in LEHD. (Though Solid Soldier has unfortunately never dropped below rare.)

You can run heroes without solid soldier at this point. Modern hero lines run like:

- Shadow Mist 3
- Stratos 3
- Varis 1-2
- Increase 1
- Vyon 1-2
- Liquid Soldier 1-2
- Malicious 3
- Dasher 1
- Adusted Gold 1
- Malicious Bane 1

Forget how many of those have a common print, but you could add filler with like a blaze man, diamond dude, draw hand, or maybe a celestial? The vision hero discard and poly access and malicious bane access with the high levels are sort of ridiculous in terms of nuke potential at the rogue level. Figure out some protection and spell/trap negation/removal in the magic/trap zones and sides, and you probably preserve a lot of this. Obviously this doesn’t account for DPE, but there’s likely not a common print of that coming for a looong timr.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel is out on Steam (and other places, I imagine). I just did the basic tutorial and it's...fine? The music gets grating though, especially now that it's downloading even more data. I do like the effects, though the graveyard being a weird orb instead of a card pile is not good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im interested in it, im gonna look at it more tonight but at a glance it look miles better then mtg arena in function and form

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The music gets grating though, especially now that it's downloading even more data.

The music going so insanely hard is hilarious, but I'm not so sure you want high-octane bangers in a card game simulator.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Is Master Duels similar to Link Evolution in that we should be aiming for the top meta decks?

Honestly, I don't even know where to start - aim for Shaddoll?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tezzeract posted:

Is Master Duels similar to Link Evolution in that we should be aiming for the top meta decks?

It's supposed to be a competitive simulator so...yeah. You'll probably want to aim for meta stuff if you're going to do online duels.

I've encountered Sky Strikers and Eldlich a bunch today. :negative:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm playing a U.A. deck currently, and it's been... surprisingly quite good for how cheap it is? Managed to climb up steadily to Gold 4 so far at least. The Deck has very few URs and practically no Extra Deck required, which is nice since I'm saving up for a HERO deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's the F2P experience like? Doable, or am I going to be transplanting my old Duel Links gacha addiction?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

What's the F2P experience like? Doable, or am I going to be transplanting my old Duel Links gacha addiction?

The F2P experience seems mostly fine, for how Gacha Hell the actual card acquisition is.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I just jumped from Gold 4 to Platinum 5 :psyduck:

girl dick energy posted:

You get a ton of gems upfront and you can craft cards, so if you're smart and not horribly unlucky you should be able to make one good deck easily enough.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

I'm gonna start with (Invoked) Shaddolls, they're pretty much eternal and I love the deckfeel.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like master duels so i look forward to playing it for a month and then dropping out forever

My favorite archetype is Super Quant and i have yet to see any packs with those cards so thats a little sad

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like master duels so i look forward to playing it for a month and then dropping out forever

My favorite archetype is Super Quant and i have yet to see any packs with those cards so thats a little sad

If you craft an ultra or super rare from an archetype it will probably give you the related secret pack unlock and a free pack of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

If you craft an ultra or super rare from an archetype it will probably give you the related secret pack unlock and a free pack of it.

Oh! Thought it had to be a random pull, thats helpful!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm really liking the angle of Secret Packs, that's a really smart way of getting people to look into archetypes they might not have considered.

Right now I'm mostly hanging in there with some extra T.G. spins on the base synchro structure deck, but starting to stretch into building Vampires, of all things, which I never considered before. But hey, turns out they're fairly low-rarity and can hang pretty well in a deck by themselves, which is gonna be a great forerunner while I get together something more competitive but mixed or rarer like Invoked Eldlich.

...maybe I should've just pulled hard on the Drytron pack, though. I talked myself out of that because 'I know Dryton is good, which means everyone knows Drytron is good'.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly by not going Drytron you've upped the level of happiness in the world. God, what a miserable deck to play against.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I am woefully out of date on yugioh tbh, whats so bad about drytrons?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've already run into several other Invoked Shaddoll decks. I think I might be a basic bitch. :pseudo: And I had a slow, grindy control vs. control match against pure Eldlich that I might have turned around except the game crashed when they flipped Torrential in a way that definitely looked like I ragequit. :negative:

Duels being best-of-1 really changes how you build a deck. I mainboard two MSTs, and plan to put in a third Solemn. (Because Solemn Judgment is at 3, apparently.)

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

You know how people who don't play Yugioh make fun of modern decks for building boards with a million negates? That is literally Drytron.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Their gameplan is to end on Herald of Ultimateness and as many fodder for its effect as possible.
Herald of ultimateness is a ritual monster that lets you pitch a fairy from the hand for an omni-negate or a summon negate. This is not once per turn and can keep going as long as you have fairies in the hand, Drytron do this by abusing Cyber Angel Benten to search many fairy cards. plus, HoU is a level 12 ritual which would be impractical in its own deck but since drytron skip levels and ritual summon based on ATK/DEF it can get cheated out.

Its also a tedious combo deck that will take loving ages to end its turns, nevermind in master duel where the UI and animations are slow.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I like War Rock and Zoodiac because their arts looks cool but I see they're kinda trash.

I pulled some good Drytron and UA cards but idk where I want to go with the rest of my pulls.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Been waiting for this since there was a chance it could be good. My opinions with maybe half a dozen or so hours played (on PS5) in some solo and ranked:

- Navigating in and out of the main menu is extremely slow because pulling updates for things like mission and battle pass statuses seem to be a blocking task.
- The actual game looks fine and you get used to navigating the board, but the UX itself is dreadful for looking at card text, especially mid-chains.
- Matches are agonizingly slow and it doesn't necessarily even have to do entirely with the combos themselves but all the animations and way checking the field is handled.
- The tutorial is pretty bad if you don't already understand a lot of the game mechanics.
- The ban list not being TCG is either unintended or a really weird choice, unless it's only so matchmaking can be global as I've seen a number of players with Japanese and Korean names.
- A lot of cards missing is also very weird.
- Crafting seems cheap but it's really not. It's also a really arduous to dismantle cards.
- The secret packs are interesting but I don't think they're necessarily a great solution to the problem of all the game's various sets having existing, and are arguably a little predatory with how you have to unlock them (even if you can cheat it by crafting a card).
- The F2P component is going to run out really quickly and the complaints will probably start to roll in soon enough. Once you get past the first few thousand or so gems from the initial missions and such, it's a giant grind to get even a couple hundred. Solo itself can give you more if you use your deck on the locked battles, but they're still kind of grindy and boring. Ultimately you get 1-1.5 good decks depending on what you're looking for, and if anyone built something fun then they're probably never going to win much of anything.

I've been playing a mostly complete Sky Striker deck like a degenerate and got to Silver 5 so far without too much trouble, but the games moving so slowly really drags things out. I don't really see many decks running handtraps yet (let alone Maxx "C") but occasionally you get some weird non-meta decks that can be a bad matchup for one reason or another.

It's the second day, but I can see why newcomers would be immediately turned away from this and I want to say this feels a bit doomed over the long term without some changes. It has its own issues that aren't really the same as Arena's but could end up being much worse in their own sort of way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They're probably going to need to give up on having the default format match the real world one and implement their own unique banlist(one which I imagine will need to be a LOT bigger in nature)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've decided to take full advantage of the weird-rear end banlist and best of 1 format to theorycraft the most awful Invoked Shaddoll control deck possible.

I might also make dinos after because they've also got a very generous spot on the ban list while also being actually fun to play against.

drrockso20 posted:

They're probably going to need to give up on having the default format match the real world one and implement their own unique banlist(one which I imagine will need to be a LOT bigger in nature)
They already do have their own banlist, and it's not OCG or Worlds. It's some new format that nobody's quite sure what to make of yet, from what I've seen. But there's some absolutely wild poo poo going on here.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s a historical OCG banlist from last year, I’ve heard April. Which fits rather well with when it was first getting made.

I also doubt the TCG banlist will be implemented.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s a historical OCG banlist from last year, I’ve heard April. Which fits rather well with when it was first getting made.

I also doubt the TCG banlist will be implemented.
Huh, I'll be damned. Well, it's a very control-favoring banlist, which makes sense for OCG. What it makes significantly less sense for is a best-of-1. You pretty much have to mainboard S/T removal.

At least Mystic Mine's banned. That'd be hell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Both the pre-release stuff and the survey mention including a TCG banlist, so I assume it's being worked on, they just didn't include it at launch for whatever reason. The survey also mentions tournaments with custom banlists, which could be fun. Or possibly the worst thing ever, who can say.

The hard part here is trying to judge how much Konami will slack off, which is really hard to tell right now. Is it gonna be like Duel Links and be a huge ongoing tentpole, or is it gonna be left as a relic of previous formats like the usual Yugioh games?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cleretic posted:

The hard part here is trying to judge how much Konami will slack off, which is really hard to tell right now. Is it gonna be like Duel Links and be a huge ongoing tentpole, or is it gonna be left as a relic of previous formats like the usual Yugioh games?
This is Konami we're talking about, we know the answer. It absolutely depends entirely on how much money it makes. Duel Links gets them that sweet, sweet gacha whale money, which they've kept going for a full five years now, but Legacy of the Whatever can be a quick pump and dump and they'll still get their money back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean if I had any say on the banlist I'll admit I would probably be absolutely brutal with it, since my main goal would be crippling most deck types that follow the "try to get out a OTKO and prevent your opponent from doing anything so you can be a smug rear end in a top hat about following the meta and/or having a lot of money" format that seems to have been the primary meta of the game for the last decade

Admittedly my ideal format does end up looking a lot like GOAT format though without the somewhat arbitrary date cutoff for the card pool or rules(since many of the cards and archetypes I like playing best are a lot more recent and/or use mechanics that hadn't shown up then) and with a MUCH larger banlist

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ideally Konami would just have multiple popular formats. GOAT, Edison, Hat, TOSS, and modern maybe. Of course OCG vs TCG throws a wrench in the historical formats, but one can at least get a simulacrum of it. But given Konami, who knows.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 21, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GOAT finally getting official recognition would be great, even if it's a brutal format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MegaZeroX posted:

Ideally Konami would just have multiple popular formats. GOAT, Edison, Hat, TOSS, and modern maybe. Of course OCG vs TCG throws a wrench in the historical formats, but one can at least get a simulacrum of it. But given Konami, who knows.

They announced Time Wizard recently, which is basically GOAT and any other arbitrary time and date cut off you could ever want.

I’m gonna be honest I think that as long as Magical Musket can outplay top decks without itself being too meta I’m not too fussed.

Herald of Ultimateness should be forbidden though.