Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The vast majority of people who style hair, braid, or do nails are able to do it without working for free for almost two years + paying an average of $8,000 for training + $200 per year to do it. It is less onerous to get a job doing far more dangerous things - or even to buy a gun in most places - than painting nails. It also, intentionally or not, puts the burden extremely disproportionately on jobs traditionally done by immigrants, women, and people of color. And they can do the same thing with none of those requirements as long as they don't get paid for it. Somehow, money changing hands is what makes the same task much more expensive and dangerous.

The nail salon one is even worse, because you need 100+ hours of training from a private certification school if you are 20, but if you are 21, then you require no training. That seems to sort of the give the game away that it isn't really about the training.

And for the cars, if it is an issue of road safety because of their age, then people under 25 and over 70 shouldn't be driving. If it is cool to drive a truck 1,000 miles as long as you stay in state lines, but you can't drive it 5 miles while crossing a state line, then that seems pretty arbitrary and not really about safety. The highway on one side of the state border isn't much more dangerous than the highway 10 feet back on the other side.

It's almost as if the same donor-driven politics that prevent good things at the federal level also operate that way through trade associations & for-profit trade schools at the state level! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think she cares. Either she wins re-election, or she loses and gets some cushy lobbyist job or whatever. She doesn't even do her job as far as meeting with local officials or constituents.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

It's almost as if the same donor-driven politics that prevent good things at the federal level also operate that way through trade associations & for-profit trade schools at the state level! :monocle:

Yes, that was the exact point.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

So, uh… Biden’s evidently a lame duck already, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FBI just raided Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar's house and his office.

It just happened about 45 minutes ago and there isn't any information on what the cause is yet.

quote:

FBI searches home of prominent Texas Democratic congressman Cuellar

Jan 19 (Reuters) - FBI agents on Wednesday searched the home in Texas of prominent Democratic Representative Henry Cuellar, media reported, with the bureau confirming it had conducted "court-authorized law enforcement activity" in the area.

Cuellar said in a statement that he "will fully cooperate in any investigation. He is committed to ensuring that justice and the law are upheld."

His office did not answer questions about the reason for the search.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation said it was present in the "vicinity of Windridge Drive and Estate Drive in Laredo conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity. The FBI cannot provide further comment on an ongoing investigation."

Texas news site myrgv.com reported that more than a dozen agents visited Cuellar's home in Laredo, near the Mexican border, and were seen taking "cases and other items" from his home.

Reporter Valerie Gonzalez posted a photo on Twitter of two men in FBI T-shirts approaching a salmon-colored house on a tree-lined street. Gonzalez said agents had also visited Cuellar's campaign office on Wednesday afternoon.

Cuellar, one of the most conservative Democrats in the House of Representatives, represents a Texas district that hugs the banks of the Rio Grande River, just opposite Mexico. He is facing a primary challenge from Jessica Cisneros, an immigration attorney.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/fb..._source=twitter

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/strikedebt/status/1483965330435227651?s=21

Biden is reneging on a promise to cancel some student debt.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The CIA has stated that they can definitively rule out that Havana Syndrome is the work of a sustained campaign by a foreign power. They found 24 cases out of over 300 where it was plausible that a foreign power was involved, but they were not connected to each other.

People suffering from Havana Syndrome are criticizing the CIA and State Department for not providing enough support to Havana Syndrome victims. The State Department under Biden re-categorized them from "attack victims" that were used during the Trump administration to people "suffering from anomalous health incidents" and declined to provide significant support to staff until congress passed a bill requiring them to. The State Department has since tried to reassure staff that they are taking the well-being of diplomats and embassy staff seriously.

Some of the victims had actual physical brain damage, but they have completely ruled out the idea that is part of a coordinated global campaign. The causes of symptoms for the victims appeared to be from various sources and were not coordinated.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1484020245916495872

quote:

In a new intelligence assessment, the CIA has ruled out that the mysterious symptoms known as Havana Syndrome are the result of a sustained global campaign by a hostile power aimed at hundreds of American diplomats and spies, six people briefed on the matter tell NBC News.

In about two dozen cases, the agency can’t rule out foreign involvement, including many of the cases that originated at the U.S. embassy in Havana beginning in 2016. Another group of cases is considered unresolved. But in hundreds of other cases of possible symptoms, the agency has found plausible, alternate explanations, the sources said.

quote:

The idea that widespread brain injuries symptoms have been caused by Russia or another foreign power targeting Americans around the world, either to harm them or to collect intelligence, has been deemed unfounded, the sources said.

People who have experienced possible Havana Syndrome symptoms and have been briefed on the assessment have expressed deep disappointment, the sources said. Some have pointed out that the CIA’s findings are considered an interim assessment and were not coordinated with other agencies of government, including the Department of Defense.

“CIA just kind of struck out on their own,” one person briefed on the findings said.

Nonetheless, almost no one who has been working closely on the issue is surprised that many recent cases of what the Biden administration calls “anomalous health incidents” have plausible explanations unrelated to possible hostile acts. When government agencies began urging any employee who had suffered unexplained headaches and dizziness to report it, it was inevitable that many of the cases would not fit the parameters of what doctors had identified in the diplomats and spies who suffered brain injuries.

“Even two dozen cases is a lot of cases, if Americans were attacked,” one person briefed on the findings said.

quote:

There is an intensive ongoing intelligence gathering and analytical effort to resolve those cases, officials said.

Starting in late 2016, U.S. diplomats and spies serving in Cuba began reporting bizarre sounds and sensations followed by unexplained illnesses and symptoms, including hearing and vision loss, memory and balance problems, headaches, and nausea.

Over the years many hundreds of U.S. officials have come forward reporting suspected incidents in more than a dozen countries, NBC News has reported.

NBC News reported in 2018 that U.S. intelligence officials considered Russia a leading suspect in what some of them assess to have been deliberate attacks on diplomats and CIA officers overseas. But in the three years since then, the spy agencies have not uncovered enough evidence to pinpoint the cause or the culprit of the health incidents.

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine said in a 2020 report that some of the observed brain injuries were consistent with the effects of directed microwave energy, which the report said Russia has long studied.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 20, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/strikedebt/status/1483965330435227651?s=21

Biden is reneging on a promise to cancel some student debt.

I wonder if anyone is surprised by this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pappyland posted:

So, uh… Biden’s evidently a lame duck already, right?
That was clear once the BBB failed to pass

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Two possible explanations: one, Russia had developed a magic ray gun that didn't match the profile of any known weapon or science, is completely undetectable, and they were deploying it relentlessly against random personnel for no rational reason. The other is that this is the spy version of people who think 5G gives them headaches.

Concerned Citizen fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 20, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The CIA has stated that they can definitively rule out that Havana Syndrome is the work of a sustained campaign by a foreign power. They found 24 cases out of over 300 where it was plausible that a foreign power was involved, but they were not connected to each other.

People suffering from Havana Syndrome are criticizing the CIA and State Department for not providing enough support to Havana Syndrome victims. The State Department under Biden re-categorized them from "attack victims" that were used during the Trump administration to people "suffering from anomalous health incidents" and declined to provide significant support to staff until congress passed a bill requiring them to. The State Department has since tried to reassure staff that they are taking the well-being of diplomats and embassy staff seriously.

Some of the victims had actual physical brain damage, but they have completely ruled out the idea that is part of a coordinated global campaign. The causes of symptoms for the victims appeared to be from various sources and were not coordinated.

I mean... Is anyone, anywhere, actually surprised by this? Who actually believes there was mass collusion among every nation in the world to develop a secret, completely undetectable new weapon capable of... making a bunch of CIA creeps feel bad. Surely not even the psychos trying to boost it as a reason to start sanctioning people or whatever actually thought it was real?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Havana Syndrome is going to be the Grassy Knoll of our time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Havana ooh na na

Half of my brain is in Havana ooh na na

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Trollologist posted:

I wonder if anyone is surprised by this?

I mean, even if he wanted to, I doubt the Senate would send him the bill to do so. Not that he wants to.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

I mean, even if he wanted to, I doubt the Senate would send him the bill to do so. Not that he wants to.

Ah, but then the people that voted for him also voted for senators / reps that also want the same things? So it should all work out.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SourKraut posted:

The argument that he needs the legislature to do so at all is entirely unsettled.

The best arguments I've seen against unilateral authority are that (1) the agency might need to go through a notice and comment process before doing it anyway, given that they went through such a process in 2016 and/or (2) a conservative SCOTUS might overturn the legislative authority already granted under the appropriations clause.

Neither are a reason to refrain from action.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Trollologist posted:

Ah, but then the people that voted for him also voted for senators / reps that also want the same things? So it should all work out.

Unfortunately some of those senators have decided that they don't have their voters interests in mind and/or don't care about said interests.

eviltastic posted:

The argument that he needs the legislature to do so at all is entirely unsettled.

The best arguments I've seen against unilateral authority are that (1) the agency might need to go through a notice and comment process before doing it anyway, given that they went through such a process in 2016 and/or (2) a conservative SCOTUS might overturn the legislative authority already granted under the appropriations clause.

Neither are a reason to refrain from action.

100% agree that neither is a reason to refrain from action. But again, my personal belief is that Joe Manchin does not want to cancel any student debt. If a bill could be sent to his desk that canceled student debt, amongst other things, I think he would sign it. I also think he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice student debt canceling if he got something else he wanted (more) as part of negotiations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So at this point the Senate has a minority Democrat bloc that sets the agenda, a minority Republican bloc that opposes that agenda, and a 2-member obstructionist bloc that doesn't believe the Senate should be able to get itself out of this situation. Great.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I read that post as suggesting that a bill from Congress was a prerequisite for taking action on the issue. If I got that wrong and you aren't suggesting that, then yeah we agree. He just doesn't want to do it. As far as Manchin, his position is that he "has worked and will continue to work on bipartisan legislation that will simplify loan repayments for students and families" ... so yeah, equal pessimism warranted there.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

eviltastic posted:

I read that post as suggesting that a bill from Congress was a prerequisite for taking action on the issue. If I got that wrong and you aren't suggesting that, then yeah we agree. He just doesn't want to do it. As far as Manchin, his position is that he "has worked and will continue to work on bipartisan legislation that will simplify loan repayments for students and families" ... so yeah, equal pessimism warranted there.

Sorry, yeah, we are in agreement on that. I do not believe that Biden wants to do it, because if he did, I think he would have simply gone the EO route and basically dared the courts to overturn it. And who knows, maybe he still will, but is waiting until near the midterms so that if the courts do so, it'd hurt Republican electoral chances. I don't think SCOTUS would take it up before the midterms though, specifically because of the impact of overturning such an EO would have.

And yeah, I think there's probably more than just Manchin on the Democratic side of the Senate who doesn't want to actually cancel any amount of student debt; even if Manchin supported doing so, I'm sure Sinema would not support it, since her shtick appears to now be acting in the role of an obstructionist. I live in Phoenix and see the local anger directed toward her, and I'm sure she recognizes that she almost certainly won't survive the 2024 general election, if she makes it past the primary.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

some plague rats posted:

I mean... Is anyone, anywhere, actually surprised by this? Who actually believes there was mass collusion among every nation in the world to develop a secret, completely undetectable new weapon capable of... making a bunch of CIA creeps feel bad. Surely not even the psychos trying to boost it as a reason to start sanctioning people or whatever actually thought it was real?

there were a few people on twitter and elsewhere who were willing to pretend they thought it was real in order to own their posting enemies, but no, nobody who looked at the symptoms and their supposed causes actually thought Havana Syndrome was real.

to give you perspective, that idea was being laughed out of the Russiagate threads since well before the Mueller report dropped. THAT is how laughable this has been from moment one.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
So...it seems the doomers were correct: nothing better is possible.

Right now, with the GOP firmly backing voter suppression/cancellation (to say nothing of open support for insurrection) the only hope the dems have of avoiding becoming a rump party is unprecedented backlash when Roe falls. So...maybe flip a coin 5 times or so and call it every time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Concerned Citizen posted:

Two possible explanations: one, Russia had developed a magic ray gun that didn't match the profile of any known weapon or science, is completely undetectable, and they were deploying it relentlessly against random personnel for no rational reason. The other is that this is the spy version of people who think 5G gives them headaches.

Given the CIA's record on this the more plausible lol answer is that they developed a magic ray gun and they've been using it on each other for pranks

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the CIA's record on this the more plausible lol answer is that they developed a magic ray gun and they've been using it on each other for pranks

this too would lead to a very confident statement saying that they are confident it is not an attack by a foreign state lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, the idea that the CIA and/or DARPA has some sort of poo poo Your Pants Gun is the most plausible part of this whole nonsense.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OAquinas posted:

So...it seems the doomers were correct: nothing better is possible.

Through electoral politics in the American system, no - nothing better is possible. Direct action is our only hope going forward. Everybody ITT should check out the Mutual Aid, Activism, and Organizing Thread, which is stickied, and learn how you can contribute. I think it goes without saying at this point, doing things the way we were taught was the "proper, legitimate" way to affect change (ie: "don't boo, vote!") is only going to lead humanity to more and greater disasters.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Mitch sees your 24% approval rating and is betting it can go even lower

https://twitter.com/bse229/status/1484007688866566150

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Wasn't Mitch McConnell also the guy who said poor kids are just as smart as white kids? Disgusting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
A gaffe like that is going to cost him up to 3 or 4 votes in his home state.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there were a few people on twitter and elsewhere who were willing to pretend they thought it was real in order to own their posting enemies, but no, nobody who looked at the symptoms and their supposed causes actually thought Havana Syndrome was real.

to give you perspective, that idea was being laughed out of the Russiagate threads since well before the Mueller report dropped. THAT is how laughable this has been from moment one.

This is pretty revisionist, I remember getting yelled at on this forum for saying it was likely mass psychosis and not some kind of secret Cuban ray weapon. The consensus here very much did believe in Havana syndrome for a while.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Wasn't Mitch McConnell also the guy who said poor kids are just as smart as white kids? Disgusting.

Yes I know our country is ruled by several arch-liches who keep letting the ol' racism slip out, it loving sucks.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

I kind of wish that was true but it was definitely big in some places. If you watched regular people news it was treated as a very, very real and serious thing on your 60 Minutes and the like. Nice to see they're giving up on it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I kind of wish that was true but it was definitely big in some places. If you watched regular people news it was treated as a very, very real and serious thing on your 60 Minutes and the like. Nice to see they're giving up on it.

The CIA even fired their Vienna station chief for daring to call Havana syndrome into question. And Congress went ahead and passed a law where you get additional money if you're in the blob and claim to suffer Havana syndrome.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Havana Syndrome is a pretty lame conspiracy theory.

There's a secret weapon that's never been detected or classified and if it's used on you you're not going to die but you will get kind of dizzy.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

This is pretty revisionist, I remember getting yelled at on this forum for saying it was likely mass psychosis and not some kind of secret Cuban ray weapon. The consensus here very much did believe in Havana syndrome for a while.

Yeah its weird that people are now pretending it was some outlandish conspiracy theory that no one actually believed when some pretty prominent poster were loudly posting about it being real even as recently as the fbi report coming out and saying its bullshit.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Havana Syndrome is a pretty lame conspiracy theory.

There's a secret weapon that's never been detected or classified and if it's used on you you're not going to die but you will get kind of dizzy.

There was like one actually spooky case of a woman "getting hit" a second time while she was walking her dog with a friend in DC. That one featured two suspicious people by a van and her friend said she heard weird sounds too. I think that was the only one that had any flair to it. Everything else was middle-aged people freaking out about headaches. Or insisting that it was a top priority to minorly inconvenience a junior business development aide/spy in Kazakhstan.

At least the Morgellons and alien implant people occasionally show off weird stuff that they "found" in their skin.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There was like one actually spooky case of a woman "getting hit" a second time while she was walking her dog with a friend in DC. That one featured two suspicious people by a van and her friend said she heard weird sounds too. I think that was the only one that had any flair to it. Everything else was middle-aged people freaking out about headaches. Or insisting that it was a top priority to minorly inconvenience a junior business development aide/spy in Kazakhstan.

At least the Morgellons and alien implant people occasionally show off weird stuff that they "found" in their skin.

Yeah, I think years of reading about alien abductions has left me kind of numb to any mysterious symptoms that are not just balls to the walls crazy. Well, that and creepypastas, and stuff about real life parasites. Wake me when people who have Havana syndrome start growing mushrooms from their eyes like an ant infected with Cordyceps.

Oh, and American children have started returning to school and it's going very bad. Turns out two years at home was not good for the brain: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/04/briefing/american-children-crisis-pandemic.html

Some Highlights:

*Little kids have been supervised by teenage relatives for so long that they have no idea what kind of language is appropriate for school, or for human society in general and there aren’t many existing protocols for how to address a five year old saying racial slurs.

*Anti-mask/anti-vax parents have, intentionally or not, taught their children that teachers don’t need to be respected and it’s really broken classroom management.

*Kids are just at least a year or sometimes two years behind socially. Elementary schoolers bite. High Schoolers have the emotional maturity of seventh graders. Older elementary schoolers don’t know how to have conversations with other children or how to solve disagreements without an adult.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

That was Joe Biden!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

A gaffe like that is going to cost him up to 3 or 4 votes in his home state.

I watched that entire clip. Where's the gaffe? Mitch knows how the wind is blowing with the MAGA base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What a loving disaster. Holy moly

Biden approval hits new low at one-year mark: AP-NORC poll

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-business-health-inflation-6b6b0abfef867fc405e9f358ce2c3a09

More Americans disapprove than approve of how Biden is handling his job as president, 56% to 43%. As of now, just 28% of Americans say they want Biden to run for reelection in 2024, including only 48% of Democrats.

Asked on Wednesday at a wide-ranging news conference about his flagging popularity, Biden responded, “I don’t believe the polls.”

Americans are even more downbeat about his handling of the economy, with just 37% approving.