Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

The main utility is to allow me to continue eating whilst simultaneously dumping more food into the hotpot or doing the courtesy thing where you serve everyone up to two seats away from you the stuff from the new dish that just got placed onto the lazy susan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Doesn't everyone hold the spoon in their off-hand when using chopsticks :confused:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Trying to think when that combination would be needed and all I can come up with is when I'm playing it safe with my xiaolongbaos.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Soup spoon + chopsticks is the superior method for eating noodle soups. You can put multiple ingredients and broth in the spoon and eat them together in one bite. It also works for Taiwanese-style hot pot places where you get your own pot with everything already cooked in it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would not at all trust myself to hold a spoon and chopsticks at the same time. That spoon is going to send broth everywhere.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Banana Canada posted:

Anyone else try training chopsticks with their non-dominant hand? It was literally impossible for me to even close the tips the first and second times I tried but the pain and difficulty subsides significantly with every subsequent attempt and I managed to get decent at it after about a dozen lunches and dinners. I can dual wield now as neat table trick!

Yeah, not so hard, and a lot of people will look at you like you're some sort of wizard-monster.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Atopian posted:

Yeah, not so hard, and a lot of people will look at you like you're some sort of wizard-monster.

I get the impression that a lot of people in China learn to use chopsticks adequately when they're quite young (and badly coordinated) and then understandably never find a reason to get any better at it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I spent seven years in east Asia all told and in multiple countries, across social classes, belief systems, cultural mores and ethnic origins, the one thing that united all the good people I met on my way was holy poo poo that white lady can use chopsticks?!?!?!?!?!

Second funniest question came from a Japanese coworker who watched me dishevel a bowl of kareraisu and proceeded to ask me, "Can you eat rice?" once I hit the bottom of the bowl. Uhhhhh...yes?

But do you like spicy?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blistex posted:

But do you like spicy?

Yes.

No, really.

No, it's fine, I put that chili on myse--

Goddammit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yes.

No, really.

No, it's fine, I put that chili on myse--

Goddammit.

In this scenario, the Korean school nutritionist has yet again confiscated my lunch plate with a condescending little shake of the head. Now she will make me eat a naked bibimbap.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

since this is basically the East Asia thread, here's a fun fact about koreans: they're really loving angry: "since 2015 it's been recognized that some fifty percent of Korean adults are afflicted with an "impulse control disorder"—plainly put, an anger management problem."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Legit question, but isn't that the concept of "han"? Apologies for what I'm sure is a very un-nuanced take.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
95.5% of the Chinese people agree: Daddy Xi loving rules.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

It's a child abuse problem that shows itself as an anger/crime problem.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

How are u posted:

95.5% of the Chinese people agree: Daddy Xi loving rules.

95.5% is kind of low, COMRADE.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

95.5% is kind of low, COMRADE.

Yeah, Uyghurs only make up like .3%

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Legit question, but isn't that the concept of "han"? Apologies for what I'm sure is a very un-nuanced take.

you use the concept of han when you're angry and maybe passive aggressive and you wanna pretend that other nations peeps dont get angry too

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This was something Koreans told me all the time. So many told me they were happy guns were illegal because everyone in Korea would be dead within the week. My anecdote data is just the sheer number of fights, I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. School was the worst of course, the first place I worked was loving Thunderdome with blood on the walls every day.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'd be angry if I had to live in Korea too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

maybe they should take a trip to takeshima island to chill out :troll:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're angry because all there is to drink is Cass and soju.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

People are weird

It's like "to record" versus "a vinyl record"

I assume the ones doing this are some kind of "cool-to-be-dumb" losers

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

McGavin posted:

They're angry because all there is to drink is Cass and soju.

hey, they have coolpis and lovely aussie style lager too

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why are the koreans so angry?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
colonialism

same deal w the revanchism

you can tell this because the northerners have it too so you cant really blame capitalism. the official north korean policy on the island is basically similar to south koreas

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 19, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steakandchips posted:

Why are the koreans so angry?

Child abuse is definitely a big part of it. It's really bad, and even the kids who aren't being hit are often seeing it between parents because the domestic violence rate is also loving insane, if they see their dads at all. If you ask kids in Korea to do an impression of dad everybody starts staggering drunk and yelling. It's not great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just the mechanism of perpetuation, not the original source

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It's also because they learned how to make coffee from the americans. :barf:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Workplace culture, presumably? I mean I don't hear about the Korean version of Karoshi but sure as hell it's gotta be there. Korean Air Flight 801 wasn't that long ago.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Child abuse is definitely a big part of it. It's really bad, and even the kids who aren't being hit are often seeing it between parents because the domestic violence rate is also loving insane, if they see their dads at all. If you ask kids in Korea to do an impression of dad everybody starts staggering drunk and yelling. It's not great.

This is horrible.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

colonialism

same deal w the revanchism

you can tell this because the northerners have it too so you cant really blame capitalism. the official north korean policy on the island is basically similar to south koreas

Can you expand on "colonialism" and "revanchism"?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ili posted:

I'd be angry if I had to live in Korea too.

Goddammit beaten.

Yeah, can't imagine it's fun to be Korean in Korea unless you're an old rich dude.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

This was something Koreans told me all the time. So many told me they were happy guns were illegal because everyone in Korea would be dead within the week. My anecdote data is just the sheer number of fights, I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. School was the worst of course, the first place I worked was loving Thunderdome with blood on the walls every day.

After going to several different Hanabank branches, I noticed that all the armed guards were women. I asked one of the security guards why this was, and she said it's because women are less likely to go on a shooting spree.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Blistex posted:

After going to several different Hanabank branches, I noticed that all the armed guards were women. I asked one of the security guards why this was, and she said it's because women are less likely to go on a shooting spree.

Well, she has a point.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
South Korea was also military dictatorship in living memory. That can’t be good for the ol’ national psyche.

Seems like it’s a bunch of reasons that, once they took root, became a cycle of generational trauma that’s very hard to escape.

This certainly helps shed light on why so many young Korean men are essentially gamer gaters in how violently opposed to feminism they are

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You've also got mandatory conscription for Korean men, and the violence and abuse they all suffer during their service to normalise it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:sadpeanut:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Grand Fromage posted:

It's just what you prefer to use. Japanese ones come to a point at the end, Chinese ones are fatter, Korean ones are flat. The Korean ones are steel because the dictator at the time was into steel production and wanted everyone to use all steel plates/spoons/cups/etc, which is still standard in a lot of situations.

Goons seem to find Korean ones very hard to use for some reason, not an issue I ever encountered among expats in Korea or I see anywhere else. I think some people may not be aware you're supposed to use the spoon for things like rice.

Yeah I don't notice literally any difference between style or materials used in chopsticks. I do like a bit of texture on the bottom just so they hold stuff better,

also the korean chopsticks being harder is specifically perplexing given just how much of korean food is exceedingly chopsticks-friendly

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Blistex posted:

"Less" likely, does that mean some female guards have gone crazy with their gun?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Let's not forget the neo-Confucianism.

I'm older than you, that means I can do whatever I want to you and you have to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The metal chopsticks are heavy.
When my kids first went to a Chinese restaurant that only had big chunky plastic chopsticks, it was a struggle.
In Japan, disposable chopsticks are preferred for most noodles and other foods that require serious gripping.