Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Tiny Myers posted:

I find looping really boring on both survivor and killer side. It just feels really stupid and counter to the whole conceit of "big scary monster that is as strong as 4 people". Oh wow it's this amazing famous serial killer from monster movie lore! Oh, he's... being stopped by a waist high barricade that the survivor is scooting around like it's Scooby Doo. :geno:

Oh it's totally some Scooby Doo silliness, but unfortunately there's not much you could do about it design-wise. Even if you were willing and able to do some massive reworks of all the maps or the fundamental design of the game to get rid of all the "waist-high piles of random junk separated by an awkwardly balanced pallet" configurations, replacing that stuff with with something less ridiculous like actual walls or corridors turns the map into those drat picket/hedge fences from Haddonfield that go on forever and are extremely survivor-sided, plus throwing up big walls everywhere winds up blocking line-of-sight for all the killers who shoot hatchet/knife/speargun/vomit projectiles at people. If you were to go full scorched earth and remove pallets/vaults as a concept from the game entirely, then the game would become just holding W and following survivors around corners until you catch up enough to bop them, and that's just boring.

The breakable walls crap could totally go though, I have no idea what the gently caress they added those for. It's in the killer's interest to break 100% of all possible breakable walls unless you're playing Hag or Trapper or if it's the one second-story dead-end room on the saloon map, so all those do is give the already time-stressed killer busywork at the start of the game that will gently caress them over during chases later if they don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah you guys weren't wrong. Playing this game as killer for just one day and now my lobbies are 100% dead hard, and mostly also decisive strike. Insanely poorly designed game this is.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 20, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's also probably in the killer's interest to never break any walls on Gideon's since leaving them up turns half the rooms into inescapable dead ends. Besides that, yeah

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
There are some specific areas in all the maps where it helps you to pin them down if you leave them, but the ones right next to windows should probably always be broken.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

It's also probably in the killer's interest to never break any walls on Gideon's since leaving them up turns half the rooms into inescapable dead ends. Besides that, yeah

Eh, then you get hosed trying to find a hook in range whenever you down someone. It's already bad enough trying to get value from Pain Resonance on indoor maps when the scourge hooks are god knows where without turning the map into a maze of dead-ends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Big fat nothing from the dev stream. Circle of Healing is getting a nerf next week.

Code LIGHTSCAMERABP for 100k BP.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
That does nothing to nerf why circle of healing is ridiculously good

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Its like they just don't know how to balance this game. There is zero reason dead hard should be in this game.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Ooooh man, +100% heal speed down to +75% heal speed? That means that instead of healing yourself in 16 seconds, it'll take ~18.29 seconds! Two whooooole seconds.

This means that blessing a totem and then healing yourself is now TIED with just healing yourself. Faster Self-Care with extras that works for your whole team is now normal-speed Self-Care with extras that works for your whole team. :allears:

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 20, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Eh I'll take it. That's a step forward vs the nothing we got when the mid patch was announced. I do feel a bit of doom and gloom at the prospect of the devs actually listening to a detailed explanation of what happens when CoH is stacked with something as simple as a medkit though, let alone all the strong healing perks we already had. I used to run We'll Make It a lot, just a truly badass perk. Killer isn't on the hook when you get the unhook? Count to 8 baby, ZOOM.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

One of the questions was "Have you given any thought to making DS and BT base kit?" and the lead dev said "We will not make Decisive Strike part of base kit". Another guy said "but what about BT?" and he replied "Again, we will never make Decisive Strike part of base kit."

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
DS being base kit would be a real bad idea, but I think BT being base kit is also kind of a bad idea. no argument that getting tunneled sucks but I think that should be solved on the 'give killer a buff when hooking/make changes so killers don't feel as pressured to do it' level and not adding more power to the survivor kit. it also trends toward the idea of designing out the ability for your teammates to make bad calls which i think is a negative in the long run.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think a super basic BT could work, 2 seconds of invincibility or something. Just enough to get away from the hook, but not enough to tank for a bit.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
BT is super weak to begin with. If someone wants you dead, all you can do is loop for your life.
4 free DS would be annoying

Midwich is the most deadly map. No surprise here.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Current BT and DS I feel are only annoying in endgame situations where it's literally impossible to stop a survivor from escaping if they aren't already dead on hook, but at that point maybe they deserve to escape if they brought the perks. Like a lot of things in this game it only really feels bad when people go out of their way to abuse it and be an rear end about it, but just using it well is hard to get mad at. I do think a basekit version of DS would have to have a shorter timer otherwise it would get kind of obnoxious.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

One of the questions was "Have you given any thought to making DS and BT base kit?" and the lead dev said "We will not make Decisive Strike part of base kit". Another guy said "but what about BT?" and he replied "Again, we will never make Decisive Strike part of base kit."

I'm sure this'll bring that plummeting killer population RIGHT up again.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Take a page from Devour Hope's 2-hook bonus and give killers a haste buff after hooking someone, stacking in either duration or value. Reset to one stack after hooking someone twice in a row.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

There's no means of fixing the camping/tunneling thing with incentives. As long as it's possible for killers to camp/tunnel someone to death, there will be people that do it just because "lol flashlight teabagger, facecamp go brrr". The reason it's such a problem now is because people like to win, and the perception of 'winning' has been gradually shifted by the developers from earning max bloodpoints to maxxing out your emblems to just killing as many survivors as possible from all the matchmaking changes, and tunneling someone out early or camping a hook while a couple survivors stare at you waiting for you to leave is the most effective way to do that. Make some level of the BT effect baseline is the quickest fix to stopping it currently, but I'm certainly not looking forward to people using it offensively for BT body-blocks if it works the same way as the current effect does.

If you really wanted to fix the tunnel-someone-out-early incentive, I'm curious how it would work out if hook stages became a communal resource. Rather than all survivors have 3 hook stages each until death, if there was just a big pool of 8 communal stages and then every survivor became dead-on-hook after that, it would completely kill tunneling by making it pointless (outside of the killer knowing that someone was particularly easy to down). It would also give the survivors some really strong incentive to go for saves and stuff, because leaving someone to die on hook is eating up YOUR second chances and not just theirs. You'd obviously have to rework stuff like hook stages and struggling off hook to make it work and prevent abuse, but if you limited every survivor to only one "1st stage" each where they can attempt escapes then it would limit any potential abuse to pretty much where it already is now.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 20, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These devs are loving clueless.

- SBMM is fine. MMR is fine. Then they admit that it's producing insanely imbalanced matches, but maintain that it's fine.
- Kills and escapes are a fine measurement of skill.
- Bots won't be replacing DC'd survivors, because "it's a multiplayer game, the human element is important". Motherfucker, what loving human element are we getting from a disconnected survivor?
- No practise mode against bots coming, it's too hard, apparently.
- They are 100% working on fighting cheaters but can't say anything because that would tip the cheaters off, also no plans to change anti-cheat.

Basically the answer to every question was "no", "not in our plans" or "maybe in the far future".

They're killing the loving game.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 20, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I get their qualms about bots, that they'd have to program them to work against every killer (example was Pig putting a trap on them) but honestly I'd settle for a half assed method that just has the survivors all running around just so I can practice abilities with killers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I'm not saying it would be trivial, but they're a studio of 850+ employees making a profitable game. "It's haaaaaaaaaaaaaard" stopped being an excuse a long time ago.

They're just going over the fence at the lowest point time after time, it's obvious they don't give a poo poo about listening to their players and have no understanding of how the game actually works, or just aren't listening to the devs who do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Don't they already have bots on mobile?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Don't they already have bots on mobile?

Different developers.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Honestly at this point we have to hope a spiritual successor comes along and does what this does only better and with a decent studio behind it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Honestly at this point we have to hope a spiritual successor comes along and does what this does only better and with a decent studio behind it.

Both Dowsey and ScottJund today said basically "Nothing is ever going to topple DBD, the most we can hope for is a competitor that takes a big chunk of the player base away temporarily and BHVR takes the chance to steal it's ideas"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Extremely ready for VHS to come out and kill off DBD for good.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

Extremely ready for VHS to come out and kill off DBD for good.

Ooo this game looks awesome

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

- SBMM is fine. MMR is fine. Then they admit that it's producing insanely imbalanced matches, but maintain that it's fine.
What they said was dodging is loving up matches and MMR knows it but what are they do? If killers played the teams they get matched with, it would be a better fit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They said that was part of it, and it wasn't just killers. They do backfills prioritized for speed.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
And these are the questions they picked. THey explicitly went out and got this set of questions because they wanted to do nothing but tell people no. Amazing work.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
How noticeable are the effects of addon rarity increase from prestiging killers? Is it really obvious or will you just be getting a few more iris here and there? I ask because I primarily play Doctor, who I have max level, and I'm working through other killers to get a solid set of teachable perks. Right now he basically has none, so it might just be worth it to prestige rather than grind the level 50 bloodwebs to get them. I don't care about the cosmetics.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

temple posted:

What they said was dodging is loving up matches and MMR knows it but what are they do? If killers played the teams they get matched with, it would be a better fit.

Killers don't want to play against a SWF. Why would they?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Super basic question for you folks: Does the Nurse's post blink attack count as a basic attack for purposes of activating perks?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Lonjon posted:

Super basic question for you folks: Does the Nurse's post blink attack count as a basic attack for purposes of activating perks?

Yes.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

How noticeable are the effects of addon rarity increase from prestiging killers? Is it really obvious or will you just be getting a few more iris here and there? I ask because I primarily play Doctor, who I have max level, and I'm working through other killers to get a solid set of teachable perks. Right now he basically has none, so it might just be worth it to prestige rather than grind the level 50 bloodwebs to get them. I don't care about the cosmetics.

No. The effect is noticeable very long term but for the costs of getting your perks back you could get tidy addon stockpiles before you'll hit it big going to P3 to get mad purples/pinks.

Rare: P1 +10%, P2 +20%, P3 +30%
Very Rare: P2 +10%, P3 +20%
Ultra Rare: P3 +10%

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 21, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

It’s like 1.25% more chance for a rarity increase per prestige.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Generally prestiging is not worth it at all unless you want the cosmetics. In which case it's still not worth it but what are you gonna do?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Prestige exactly 1 character to prestige 3 for the cheevs and then never again imo

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I prestiged Yun-Jin because 1. I love her 2. she doesn't have too many cosmetics in general so I wanted more to play around with 3. her prestige cosmetics are really striking because she has such pale colors 4. the descriptions for her cosmetics are really funny when you compare the bloody and non-bloody version.

Non-bloody:
A form-fitting skirt for Yun-Jin's lavish and classy events.

Bloody:
A form-fitting skirt for Yun-Jin's cruel and vicious socialite events.

Like, Yun-Jin, what kind of socialite events have you been going to, and what have you been doing there?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Isn't she technically complicit with the Trickster's murders? I haven't read her bio in a bit but didn't she know he was killing people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

She was arguably in denial. He was her meal ticket and proof of her own success, so she needed him, even as suspicions mounted.