Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I like the meta plot :colbert:

At least I did back when it was at the level of the Pope is a secret ancient alien, now fight him in space wackiness

Focusing on just templar vs assassin stuff is mega boring though

The idea that the Pope is an alien or whatever and you have to fist fight him is cool. Logging out of the animus to be some present-day dork who has to walk around and have exposition dump conversations is terrible, one of the worst ideas in the history of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

The idea that the Pope is an alien or whatever and you have to fist fight him is cool. Logging out of the animus to be some present-day dork who has to walk around and have exposition dump conversations is terrible, one of the worst ideas in the history of gaming.

Yeah that's true

I guess I should have said I like the completely insane ancient aliens/gods stuff and when they were getting real wild with it. The modern day stuff ranges from super boring to awful so if that's the meta plot I'd agree

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah I liked the meta plot too, the idea of secret conspiracies and hidden plots, an upcoming apocalypse tied to an ancient race, when the person in the animus talked directly to Desmond, all that poo poo was cool as hell. Even being in abstergo in the first game and feeling that there was a battle going on outside the walls that Desmond had so little clue about, but knew it was there.

Then they resolved it and tried to do some other less ibteresying thing (and they got so bored with that that they resolved that one in a comic book) and everything since then is just some boring tug of war that doesn't mean anything because nothing will ever happen.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

It very realisticly depicted that I have all these work emails in my inbox that I'm never going to read.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah I liked the meta plot too, the idea of secret conspiracies and hidden plots, an upcoming apocalypse tied to an ancient race, when the person in the animus talked directly to Desmond, all that poo poo was cool as hell.

I recall being very baked when that happened and thinking the glowing lady was talking to me and warning me about climate change.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i like the present day stuff :sigh:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I still think the framing device is neat if not used as well as it could be sometimes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We get it, the idea is fine on paper but sucks poo poo in execution for 5 games running now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

We get it, the idea is fine on paper but sucks poo poo in execution for 5 games running now

Kassandra begs to disagree, while also making things worse by jumping in to just kill everyone

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was ok in Syndicate when it was a cut scene at the beginning and one at the end

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

Kassandra begs to disagree, while also making things worse by jumping in to just kill everyone

She can't die from fall damage and later doesn't even take fall damage, she can jump whenever she wants :colbert:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Caufman posted:

It very realisticly depicted that I have all these work emails in my inbox that I'm never going to read.

I recall being very baked when that happened and thinking the glowing lady was talking to me and warning me about climate change.

Iirc that character is talking to the player, though it could just be Desmond or whoever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think that her somehow managing to have a good game makes the rest of the series' meta plot good though from the way people are talking about how things went after 3.

Sound like it's just Jedi vs Sith with no end in sight ever from now on.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Warbird posted:

Iirc that character is talking to the player, though it could just be Desmond or whoever.

I think Minerva is talking to Desmond, because the impending disater turns out to be the solar flare that he later stops and not climate change which I haven't stopped yet. Also she ends her message by literally saying Desmond's name, and that is not my name.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Opopanax posted:

It was ok in Syndicate when it was a cut scene at the beginning and one at the end

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I like the meta plot :colbert:

At least I did back when it was at the level of the Pope is a secret ancient alien, now fight him in space wackiness

that was xenosaga

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Floor 7 in Luigi's Mansion 3, the garden completely owns. I love how it develops.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The modern AC stuff was good in the first game when it was a reflection of what you were doing in the animus, eavesdropping and picking pockets to get more information about your kidnappers. From 2 on it just became a lovely cut down version of the main game with bad aliens and started to suck.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Bogmonster posted:

Yeah I think this is what I love about it as well. It deals with the time period in a realistic, frank and interesting way. And I think it's a good argument for how games can deal with themes like racism.

Also it makes a really perfect conceit that the more attentive and dangerous cops are directly corresponds with the socio-economic status of where your crime spree is happening.

"If anyone's out in the area, maybe you could take a statement or something..."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I liked the Desmond plot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I played and loved AC1, the Ezio trilogy, and 3... and I really liked 4 as a game but the meta story I felt really annoying and so optional that I did not even really pursue it.

Is there a good YouTube video that can kind of summarize this poo poo so that when I begin the next game in the series (Syndicate? I can't remember) I feel like I'm still Hanging On To The Plot?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

credburn posted:

I played and loved AC1, the Ezio trilogy, and 3... and I really liked 4 as a game but the meta story I felt really annoying and so optional that I did not even really pursue it.

Is there a good YouTube video that can kind of summarize this poo poo so that when I begin the next game in the series (Syndicate? I can't remember) I feel like I'm still Hanging On To The Plot?

- the first games up to and through 3 followed Desmond, his friends, and his dad, and you saw the full arc of his plot happen
- starting with 4 and ending with Syndicate, the modern day plot was based around a videogame company made by the Templars as a way to make public opinion more Templar-favorable and to basically crowdsource finding more pieces of eden. this let ubisoft get a bit fuzzier with the historical plots, since they could both in and out of keyfabe say it was to make the games play better
- Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla's modern-day are about Layla, a researcher who used to work for Abstergo and gets swept up into everything when she uses a modified animus to dive into the first game's protagonists

this divides the series up nicely:

1, 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, 3 (+ Liberation): the Desmond games
Black Flag (+ Freedom Cry), Rogue, Unity, Syndicate: the Abstergo Entertainment games
Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla: the Layla games

IMO Black Flag is the best of the middle set and if you got your fill of 4 i'd skip the others -- they're all very similar mechanically (and Rogue was basically a stopgap entry). they were also notoriously buggy on release, but that's been long fixed now

the three newest games have a push towards being RPGs which means quests and gear and skill trees which (IMO) leads to more satisfying gameplay; if you're going to go right from 4 to a further point in the series I'd go for them and save the middle set of games for if/when you're feeling nostalgic for the non-RPG gameplay

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Speaking of AssCreed Desmond plot and small things in games, Desmond's cell at Abstergo in AC1 had a decreasing supply of toilet rolls. He had a large pile in the beginning of the game and it got progressively smaller as time went on. I believe he only had a roll and half left at the end.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

credburn posted:

Also it makes a really perfect conceit that the more attentive and dangerous cops are directly corresponds with the socio-economic status of where your crime spree is happening.

"If anyone's out in the area, maybe you could take a statement or something..."

I've found myself not stealing from black owned businesses, cars don't get jacked in the hollow and I even drive slowly to not hit pedestrians in Delray Hollow.

Plus, whenever I walk in a bar and they start saying how it's whites only, every motherfucker in there is getting punched

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there's a Mafia 4 it would be best of they just made the story linear, because the branching is fairly pointless in 3, and relegated stuff like Rackets to side-content.

The story will do fine if it's the same calibre as 3 or the 1 remake. Having a straight crime-sim is a breath of fresh air after Ubisoft's wishy washy no-politics and Rockstar's South Park centrism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that didn't help the overall AC meta story is how the conclusion to the Black Flag through Syndicate plot ended up not happening in a game and instead got finished in a comic book.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Look on the bright side: There's an alternate universe where AC's framing story was a huge success and now every AAA action-adventure game forces you to spend 30 minutes reading emails at the end of each story chapter.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

I've found myself not stealing from black owned businesses, cars don't get jacked in the hollow and I even drive slowly to not hit pedestrians in Delray Hollow.

Plus, whenever I walk in a bar and they start saying how it's whites only, every motherfucker in there is getting punched

Mafia doesn't let you blow up businesses, right? Because it sounds like there are a lot of places that needed to have "unfortunate accidents" happen to them. And now I'm trying to remember the name of an old gangster video game that let you shake down businesses and bomb your competitor-owned businesses...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Randalor posted:

Mafia doesn't let you blow up businesses, right? Because it sounds like there are a lot of places that needed to have "unfortunate accidents" happen to them. And now I'm trying to remember the name of an old gangster video game that let you shake down businesses and bomb your competitor-owned businesses...

You are possibly thinking of Gangsters: Organized Crime, an older strategy game for the PC. I remember being very bad at it and just blowing up and shooting everyone. Turns out you get shut down pretty quick when that happens.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

You are possibly thinking of Gangsters: Organized Crime, an older strategy game for the PC. I remember being very bad at it and just blowing up and shooting everyone. Turns out you get shut down pretty quick when that happens.
I didn't do that and still couldn't get very far into it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Odyssey and the AC2 trilogy are probably the best of the series, at least from what I've played of the others (which admittedly isn't much) and what I've read online

Honestly though Odyssey has basically been a life commitment for me at this point. I think I'm at like 100 hours and still not done with the plot because there's just a never ending amount of content. I can't imagine needing to get Valhalla at this point. Maybe once I beat Odyssey someday and then like.. am able to pick up valhalla super cheap on sale a few years from now?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Randalor posted:

Are you thinking of The Godfather? You could do that in The Godfather.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Odyssey and the AC2 trilogy are probably the best of the series, at least from what I've played of the others (which admittedly isn't much) and what I've read online

Honestly though Odyssey has basically been a life commitment for me at this point. I think I'm at like 100 hours and still not done with the plot because there's just a never ending amount of content. I can't imagine needing to get Valhalla at this point. Maybe once I beat Odyssey someday and then like.. am able to pick up valhalla super cheap on sale a few years from now?

Yeah, the previous one gets pretty cheap after a new one comes out. Valhalla is great, especially the Ireland DLC, but take some time off between huge Ubisoft games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Are you thinking of The Godfather? You could do that in The Godfather.

Both the godfather games were way too good for being EA made movie licence games.

Its really morbid but I'll never forget how the second one made you feel the life leaving people when you choked them.
Basically you grabbed someone by pressing R2 and L2 on the controller and then you choked them by pressing in the sticks, putting the controller in a simulated chokehold. As you did that the vibration came in a heartbeat pulse, which grew fainter as their hp went down.

I'm honestly surprised no one has made anything similar with the ps5 controller and its high definition vibration and resistive triggers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Godfather 2 was such a mess, but had so many cool systems that should've been expanded on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The goofiest thing about those Godfather games was how they got likeness rights to everybody but Pacino.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hel posted:

Both the godfather games were way too good for being EA made movie licence games.

Its really morbid but I'll never forget how the second one made you feel the life leaving people when you choked them.
Basically you grabbed someone by pressing R2 and L2 on the controller and then you choked them by pressing in the sticks, putting the controller in a simulated chokehold. As you did that the vibration came in a heartbeat pulse, which grew fainter as their hp went down.

I'm honestly surprised no one has made anything similar with the ps5 controller and its high definition vibration and resistive triggers.

The closest thing I can think of is a certain QTE sequence in God of War 3, where you finish by grabbing your victim's head and gouging their eyes out with your thumbs.

The controller input for this is clicking both analog sticks.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I had the Godfather on Wii and that choking gimmick was it's best feature. It ended up becoming my preferred killing method.
Now this thread has got me wanting to play Mafia 3, goddammit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The story is excellent, but the gameplay gets a little grindy. It's got pretty great dlc though, that's bundled into the edition you buy on steam, so you can go do other things if you get bored with the main gameplay loop.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I have it thru PS+ so I also have all the dlc. I played it for a bit a while ago and had a glitch where one of the side missions stopped working, think it was the weed delivery ones. For some stupid reason I was like "welp, can't 100% it, why bother" but thankfully I'm past that mindset. Installing now but I want to finish Greedfall first, which actually is kind good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The shopkeeper extortion feature in the first Godfather game was such fun. And the Hats Off execution has stuck in my mind after 15 years. Whereas,

Gaius Marius posted:

Godfather 2 was such a mess, but had so many cool systems that should've been expanded on.

I remember almost nothing about playing Godfather 2 except thinking it was many steps down from the first game. What were the cool systems it could have expanded on?

muscles like this! posted:

The goofiest thing about those Godfather games was how they got likeness rights to everybody but Pacino.

Good thing the Scarface game got those rights, and even found someone whose Tony Montana voice impersonation was so good, it would get him multiple Tony Montana gigs.