Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Alaois posted:

he should have instead named himself after Gunther Schulz, former lead guitarist of KMFDM

Gonns refer to Aichner as Skold from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
https://twitter.com/ShaneHelmsCom/status/1483914860865929220

I know Hurricane's gotta carry that water but there's literally like 80 people we could name that didn't survive this treatment

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Helms became a comedy jobber for the rest of his career so I would argue that he did not, in fact, survive it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

he was a comedy jobber in wcw too

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
And of course he's in the replies bringing up Ringmaster and Isaac Yankem somehow completely oblivious to the fact that nowadays WWE starts people off as Kanes and turns them INTO Isaac Yankems

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
he literally only got a job at wwe again because he cameoed in aew once

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Orange Carlisle posted:

he was a comedy jobber in wcw too

"Sugar" Shane Helms had a serious push and seemed to be getting legitimately over at the end of WCW's life, so of course the Fed changed his name and clowned him at the first opportunity.

EDIT:

And of course he's dumb enough to think it was a good thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Q7kid posted:

"Sugar" Shane Helms had a serious push and seemed to be getting legitimately over at the end of WCW's life, so of course the Fed changed his name and clowned him at the first opportunity.

EDIT:

And of course he's dumb enough to think it was a good thing.

do you think the WWE was gonna allow a second Shane? lord no

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Didn't they basically sabotage the Hurricane gimmick when he was getting too popular?

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
brb going to germany to conduct some research

https://twitter.com/GiftedMoney/status/1483895449346093063

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zombie Lemur posted:

Didn't they basically sabotage the Hurricane gimmick when he was getting too popular?

Not "they," specifically Triple H. Rock had been semi-feuding with Hurricane and the fans were into it, culminating in a match on the 3/10/03 Raw, which Hurricane won when Austin distracted the Rock (but didn't interfere; it was a clean pin off a roll-up). Three weeks later, Triple H pretty casually beat Hurricane just for the ego boost of beating the guy who beat the Rock. It didn't entirely sabotage Hurricane - the gimmick had an inherent ceiling, after all - but it really cooled his momentum and prevented him from reaching even that ceiling.

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021
Walter is a main event, world champion level pro wrestler with almost any promotion. Shane Helms was a good worker and solid midcarder but had a much lower ceiling even without the dumb gimmick.

Donning my tinfoil hat I wonder if WWE is planning on cutting Walter in the near future and this is their way of tanking his value before he goes. It's dumb and he'll be fine wherever he goes next because he's that good but it seems like a Vince thing to do.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
walter's ceiling in wwe was similar to rusev's first run until he got beat by cena at wm. after that its dancing in a diaper.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
AEW should sign Walter, dress him like a dog and have him be Chuck Taylor's manager.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
if there are so many gunther starks maybe one of them should step their poo poo up and be more famous than the nazi u-boat captain

maybe that was the goal

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Seams posted:

walter's ceiling in wwe was similar to rusev's first run until he got beat by cena at wm. after that its dancing in a diaper.

Does GUNTHER have a sexy wife that they can book into cuck angles?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Does GUNTHER have a sexy wife that they can book into cuck angles?

he recently seems to have started dating NXT UK wrestler Jinny so

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JrParks16/status/1484028411483930625

the worst insult possible - Moxley is like Ric Flair

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Owning this guy by comparing him to legends of the business.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

The always badification of Adam Cole is complete.

https://twitter.com/R1ch13_C/status/1484147440966066176?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The last time I regularly saw Adam Cole wrestle before he showed up in AEW was when he had a loving horn growing out of his head in NJPW but he looks the same as he did in NXT, right?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IGgy IGsen posted:

I agree with this tweet. Because I'm soooooo loving tired of this poo poo. Maybe it's because I'm German and know what a kinda regular-rear end name Günther Stark is. So trying to connect the name to a random, probably long dead, Nazi of the same name who didn't do anything of import and who no one knew about until today seems way off to me. But whatever.

Like, I agree. On one level. I don't think they set out to name WALTER after a Nazi u-boat commander (although it's not impossible). But look at the big picture.

We have a guy who was doing the whole "German speakers in long black leather jackets yelling in German, talking about the Ringkampf and tweeting about how their faction is über alles" thing. Then you take his current name, WALTER, which is established and a perfetly fine, albeit not stereotypically german, name. And you rename him Gunther, which is.

There's exactly one connotation you're giving his gimmick here. Even if that's not 100% your intention, you have to realize that's what you're doing. And let's be honest: this is the same place where they wanted the Pakistani guy play a terrorist, where they already had middle-eastern dudes play terrorists, where they have the Japanese woman do a sexualized school girl gimmick etc.

It would be extremely generous to assume there are some hidden layers of nuance here instead of Vince going "Hey that guy speaks German, let's make him a diet nazi!"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

All of The Usual Suspects decided today to say that Adam Cole is unsalvageable buried, also out of shape and fat. The latter is true but they mean compared to NXT. Adam Cole is always fat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
He got budge

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't think Adam Cole looks remarkable but then again I never have. He looks the same skinny fat he always has

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Adam Cole will never recover from being undefeated and featured on national television twice weekly. Kind of makes sense with WWE brain since the more you appear on WWE TV, the less over you become.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Adam Cole is objectively more over now than he has ever been in his life.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
They've started citing this guy to prove AEW is a failure compared to NXT and RAW

https://variety.com/2011/voices/opinion/cbs-poltrack-tries-again-to-tweak-demo-debate-3537/

The guy the articles about retired four years ago. He never succeeded.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

These bums are so weird. Just enjoy your show. Why do you care that there is another show that in your eyes isn't as good? Can't you just like your show without hating?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shard posted:

These bums are so weird. Just enjoy your show. Why do you care that there is another show that in your eyes isn't as good? Can't you just like your show without hating?

You say this like there isn't a huge WWE hate thread in this forum

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shard posted:

No but you see casual viewers might check out AEW and like it, and that would mean there'd be less casual viewers that regularly watch WWE, somehow

Rarity posted:

The difference though is that these people hate AEW for merely existing, while we hate WWE because it's a poo poo company run by an elderly bigot that had an unchallenged stranglehold on the industry for over two decades

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 20, 2022

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

Hating corps is never wrong. I don't feel one way or another about their actual shows.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

[twelve hundred pages of complaining about too many camera cuts while pitching even more racist gimmicks than see air] this is praxis [some guy on somewhere saying AEW ratings aren't really that good] why do you have hate in your heart sir

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Karma Tornado posted:

[twelve hundred pages of complaining about too many camera cuts while pitching even more racist gimmicks than see air] this is praxis [some guy on somewhere saying AEW ratings aren't really that good] why do you have hate in your heart sir

this does represent the range of opinions in those two areas, yes.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
https://twitter.com/Necroeric/status/1484214132039692293?t=EZkvIiRNWQ4dt1aMri5L3A&s=19

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

He's proud of the ice!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Hemp wick? bourgie luxury, to my mind. this and the bong icing say nothing good about his judgement to me :colbert:

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Karma Tornado posted:

of all the weeks to try to chastise people for joking about NXT's increasingly racist gimmicks, you picked the week they debuted Literal Nazi and Japanese Schoolgirl

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
stupid canadians just cuz you got ice all year long doesn't mean you have to put it in everything. Its not like bacon you flapjack lickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
poor adam cole getting god pops, hanging out with his best friends and getting to kiss his girl on live TV, how will he ever recover from this