Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fextralife will have all the info you need approx 16 minutes after midnight release day in Australia probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...weirdly enough, I just like having the heavy books to read through and look at the art and stack next to each other on my shelf.

It also beats using other posters' asses, since I don't have to remove any heads first.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

what's the reliable fextralife alternative that doesn't lead to that one rear end in a top hat's twitch stream?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Your own scribblings in a notebook as you play through the game

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what's the reliable fextralife alternative that doesn't lead to that one rear end in a top hat's twitch stream?
uBlock -> add fextralife.com###sidebar-wrapper as your filter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hatty posted:

Yeah this is actually how I like to play From games. Feels like a metagame to me. Keeping a journal of people I meet, clues or information and where I found materials.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

never did figure out how to use jumpjets in mechwarrior without shattering my legs but in my defense i was 5

The more I think about it the more brilliant original Armored Core was for its time. It was both deep and complex, but also simple to control without the finicky jank of MechWarrior.

Honestly the decade hiatus might be a blessing in disguise. I only played one of the PS3 games and it was so overly complicated my eyes glazed over at all the options. A product of having to release one a year to keep the lights on until Dark Souls.

I would love if the new one kept kind of a Dark Soul/AC1 focus where each piece of gear was unique and exciting.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

It's not exactly a strategy guide but I found FightingCowboys walkthrough videos on YouTube very useful. He's gotten me out of a lot of jams. Also he's not a typical YouTuber that screams at the camera and poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

The more I think about it the more brilliant original Armored Core was for its time. It was both deep and complex, but also simple to control without the finicky jank of MechWarrior.

Honestly the decade hiatus might be a blessing in disguise. I only played one of the PS3 games and it was so overly complicated my eyes glazed over at all the options. A product of having to release one a year to keep the lights on until Dark Souls.

I would love if the new one kept kind of a Dark Soul/AC1 focus where each piece of gear was unique and exciting.

I'm gonna be pretty thrilled if FROM and Naughty Dog both pivot into hard sci-fi ish games over the next few years.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Space Souls?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I would probably have found Sanctuary Guardian a lot easier if I wasn't going for the tail cut. Constantly trying to get behind it to take advantage of the couple seconds out of every five minutes it gives you to get a hit in is pretty stressful.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why bother with the tail cut? Weapon is crap

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Does Elden Ring have tail cuts? Limb cuts maybe?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

marshmallow creep posted:

By bringing in the grapple hook from Sekiro, obviously.

Yes! Gyoubu Oniwa is an awesome fight.

Memnaelar posted:

It also beats using other posters' asses, since I don't have to remove any heads first.

hahahaha

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

skasion posted:

Why bother with the tail cut? Weapon is crap
Completion brain

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

giZm posted:

Space Souls?

The Surge

It's pretty fun

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oh yeah I also forgot about the Guardian Ape fight in Sekiro which is another simply amazing beast boss

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I need to buy a fresh notebook to document my Elden Ring first playthrough. I will probably be okay without graph paper this time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd say not locking on is better for the Souls games if you don't plan on parrying especially for the big bosses. Made bosses like Paarl and Ebrietas a much easier time for me than most of the folks posting in the thread seemed to be having on release because I was used to moving the camera in tandem with my character constantly from 1 and 2.

I never had issues with lock-on not being in monhun because you can move, waggle the camera (in non-PS2/PSP games), block, and sprint at the time same. Everything was large enough with big enough tells that you didn't need to have the camera totally focused on them.

The whole thumb work to constantly reposition and dodge a humanoid enemy, not to mention the slow panning with the stick vs fast enemies, seemed like the entire reason lock-on was in Souls. Just a workaround to controller-vs-human limitations caused by not being able to do X and Y simultaneously. Then people jump in with "that fight is supposed to show you NOT to lock on!" which is a really odd statement.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Memnaelar posted:

So, uh, no strategy guide for this game being published by Future Press or what-not? It's a month before release and google reveals nothing...

They'll be loving full walk throughs and speed runs up on YT day one

That ONE rear end in a top hat?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I’m going in blind af and even refusing to play with the one friend who is notorious for giving up right away and googling poo poo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll be loving full walk throughs and speed runs up on YT day one

Really? On Youtube? Who knew?

...Yes, of course I get that I can watch some schmuck streamer of my choice 100% the game if I really want to. I just like having a nice book that gives me a list for an area so that I know if there's a critical side-quest NPC there or a ring that I'm particularly hunting without spoiling the rest of my game to get there and/or wasting hours of my life wading through other drek to get to the one nugget I need.

Do kids these days just not remember books?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Scribbling notes into a small book bought specifically for that RPG is a time honored tradition! Yes, I'm laboriously building up a much worse parallel body of knowledge to the wiki that will exist day one, that's not the point!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Memnaelar posted:

...Yes, of course I get that I can watch some schmuck streamer of my choice 100% the game if I really want to. I just like having a nice book that gives me a list for an area so that I know if there's a critical side-quest NPC there or a ring that I'm particularly hunting without spoiling the rest of my game to get there and/or wasting hours of my life wading through other drek to get to the one nugget I need.

I mean, spoiler-free walkthroughs exist but not on day one and who knows if someone will make one. Just do a blind run and then a guided one for cheevos. Then at least your second run isn't boring and you're free to look at the wiki without revealing you are the child of Patches and Sekiro.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Memnaelar posted:

So, uh, no strategy guide for this game being published by Future Press or what-not? It's a month before release and google reveals nothing...

I hope so, I think Future Press have done every game except Dark Souls 3 and I guess that guide book is awful, Lance McDonald posted a picture of a world map from the DS3 book and it mislabels and mixes up/misnames like 4 areas somehow. I have the Sekiro guide and the Dark Souls Trilogy compendium as well as their Last Guardian and Control art books and they’re just really well done, I’ve been hoping that they announce something soon.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

skasion posted:

Begins with a de, therefore it is Demon’s Souls

Wait...

de_dust...

Holy poo poo...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

5 weeks. oh gently caress. oh poo poo

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Hard ninja game chat: did anyone play Ninja Gaiden Black? I remember getting it and it was too hard and I quit it early and I'm pretty sure it was considered one of the more difficult games out at the time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ninja gaiden was a hard game. definitely a harder game than sekiro, or any of the souls game for that matter.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
The Xbox Ninja Gaiden was great. Easily my favorite game on that platform. I don't remember it being extremely hard, but there were multiple difficulty levels, so it's hard to compare to FromSoft games. I think some version of it (and its sequels) came out on Steam, but I heard the port wasn't very good. Is that true?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Ninja Gaiden owned so much. Once you mastered it you were a whirlwind. In Black once you worked it out you could spend most of your time bouncing off walls in the air.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

acyclicity posted:

I think some version of it (and its sequels) came out on Steam, but I heard the port wasn't very good. Is that true?
Really, really bad ports.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
God, that just reminds me of Shinobi for PS2. Owned owned owned

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I am so loving hyped for elden ring. Somebody tell me rapiers are in the game.

I'd even settle for an estoc.

I just want to do more lucatiel cosplay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I was playing Bloodborne on release there was some point I was stuck at for awhile and none of the walkthroughs had reached that point so I'm not sure if you're going to have that available right away for Elden Ring especially considering the more open world aspect. The people doing walkthroughs and the people speeding through are likely very different people. I think the same thing happened with Wind Waker for me but that was from a different era of internet gaming.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Memnaelar posted:

Really? On Youtube? Who knew?

Do kids these days just not remember books?

Sorry. I misunderstood you and didn't realize you wanted a hard bound book.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think that the "ankle stabbing" criticisms are on point and feel like the "big" boss battles should be a little more like Shadow of the Colossus when it comes to mechanics. I don't know how you do that with the DS game engine though.

make bows good

Horizon Zero Souls

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
more seriously most of the problems with beast-type bosses are communication-related, which also means they eventually fade with familiarity, but often only by the time you're on multiple NG+ cycles of the same game

- it's hard to gauge distance / depth when faced with a giant animal and especially a fantasy creature that doesn't exist in real life without some frame of reference. wrt this one midir is goofus: huge featureless arena made of rocks with nothing to orient yourself to. demon of hatred is gallant: the fight literally starts with a bunch of human-sized enemies fighting the boss and you have structures designed for human use in sight the entire time no matter where on the battlefield you go

- you need to know how a creature moves to create good tells. this isn't necessarily a verisimilitude problem like the first one -- if you can come up with a consistent and logical way for a dragon to move, it doesn't matter what it's based on, if anything -- but that doesn't mean it's easy, and as any artist can tell you, knowing how to draw or animate human beings doesn't necessarily translate to other creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I heard something about them making archery more of a primary weapon in this one rather than the traditional "pull it out if there's something you can't easily melee" that archery usually is in Souls games - what did they do to make that happen?