Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Captain Beans posted:

I’m trying to think of why it felt like 3k was 80/20 field/siege battles but in Warhammer it’s 20/80 field/siege battles. Is it because cities and settlements were further apart?

the AI was purposefully more suicidal and would take those bad fights

they'd also sally out more as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

For the longest time taking a special character was purely the domain of kitchen table players, most of them were very mediocre and/or too deeply over-costed to be usable where as a generic character could often do everything you wanted those characters to do, cheaper and with the bonus of being Your Guy.

It's only as of 40k and AoS's latest editions that taking any special character has ever been seen as the meta choice (High Prioress Vahl and The Silent King for Battle Sisters and Necrons respectively standing out the most), and even then there's specific generic character builds that still do obscene amounts of work despite not having the same litany of special rules (Bike Chaplain Tanks for Black Templars and Brutal but Kunnin' Smasha Bosses for Orks).

8th ed fantasy is where they started to get busted good in some cases. I do actually wish all lords got the daemon prince treatment though. Custom armies and characters were always more interesting than Karl, Teclis, and Grimgor. Hell, the only reason anyone cares about them now is a few memes each and fun voice acting.

AnEdgelord posted:

He's the first Daemon Prince and during his tenure he managed to have all four Chaos Gods eating out of his hand and courting his favor rather than him courting theirs. Unfortunately for him this couldn't last as the Chaos Gods compared notes and decided they needed to stand as one and punished him more than they punished any being in existence. They withdrew all of their gifts aside from his Daemon status, tortured him, stopped him from manifesting in the material world except under very specific circumstances (those being the crowning of an Everchosen), and bound him to be a slave of the Everchosen that he crowns. Over the centuries though he's made plans to circumvent his prison and take his revenge on the Chaos Gods themselves, which often serves as the focal point for several key events in Warhammer history (the biggest being the Albion campaign or him being Archaon's secret father and planning to possess him at the moment of his crowning). In the meantime though he has become a being of pure darkness and shadow that had his own bespoke lore of magic on the tabletop. He also commanded a Chaos Undivided force of Daemons that he had either captured from the gods and bound to himself instead of them or had signed Daemonic contracts with to bring them into his service.

Undivided daemons were a bigger deal then, too. Chaos was one faction and armies were marked. A khorne general couldn't just toss in some snootlers for speed and a tzeentch wizard. You had to make up for your shortcomings by mixing mortals, daemons, and beasts. It looked cooler and made lists more interesting. Before AoS, it had switched to a terminally boring daemon faction where you could have a keeper of secrets leading only khorne units, and a separate terminally boring mortal faction that was the same. Some say they may have released a beastmen book once.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 20, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Can the custom demon have the classic slaanesh 1-3 titties or will there be a blood dlc AND a boob dlc?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The Chaos Undivided Trailer shows a Slaanesh chest with the customary single bob so yeah they haven't really held back at all for our Dark Prince of Pink.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The outpost recruitment thing is only to tier 3 units. It has been said multiple times in various streams.

Except the one quoted earlier mentions having asked the Devs directly, saying ANYTHING is on the table, as long as they have access to it.

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIvDH4UEJf8&t=1937s

Apparently you can literally recruit any unit the host city can with an outpost lmao?

The other streamers ive seen have been unsure so despite it having been said "multiple times" it doesn't mean it is so.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yea I think that PLUS the mechanic that units are not completely deleted if killed in battle really lead to more fights from the player and the AI. I know that mechanic was not loved by everyone but I ended up really liking it. It helped wars be more than one big single fight tipping point and then just a mop up afterward.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Except the one quoted earlier mentions having asked the Devs directly, saying ANYTHING is on the table, as long as they have access to it.

The other streamers ive seen have been unsure so despite it having been said "multiple times" it doesn't mean it is so.

The closest I've seen to this being demoed is in the video I linked earlier and the tooltip is mysterious.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm fine with crazy item availability because once you play enough WH2 you get used to randomly grabbing good stuff early on and snowballing anyway. After they upgraded a lot of the blues I stopped doing quest battles for purple lore gear past the first time for the spectacle. Just get a Sword of AoE Root and the weapon slot is covered for the rest of the campaign in that stack, thanks. It'll make my Build a Bear playthrough faster, I suppose.

Captain Beans posted:

I’m trying to think of why it felt like 3k was 80/20 field/siege battles but in Warhammer it’s 20/80 field/siege battles. Is it because cities and settlements were further apart?

The Total War AI cheats enormously at gold costs and the rate their cities grow if you play on any difficulty higher than Normal so they can wall everything up effortlessly. A VH campaign with Brettonia as one of your first opponents is heinous for this.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1umE3zobwEU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm torn on the Slaaneshi rewards thing. From a lore perspective it should be horrible to pick them, but obviously then it's a non choice. No one is gonna pick the die in the daemon realms option. So the choices have to be actually tempting. But I still can't help feeling like there has to be some downside, even if it's just the reward evaporating in 50 turns or whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Also the number of siege maps even available to play was vastly reduced. The provinces feel bigger and minors can't get walls. Also, the map feels a lot less open in terms of available routes through a lot of it so it's a lot easier to guess where an enemy is coming from and block their way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just noticed that in Warhammer 2 Bretonnia gets walls by default on all its tier 3 minor settlements, instead of having to build a guard building. Does any other faction get this, or is it bizarrely Bretonnia-only?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gort posted:

Just noticed that in Warhammer 2 Bretonnia gets walls by default on all its tier 3 minor settlements, instead of having to build a guard building. Does any other faction get this, or is it bizarrely Bretonnia-only?

Bretonnia only. For whatever reason they got their minors set up to have a weird farming or industrial split that requires at least two buildings per minor to actually come close to full efficacy unlike the Empire who can just create a single haberdashery or whatever.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:lmao: that kick animation.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPaSFxAmWb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL1WPDx0NAA

Finally, the WH3 content I needed to confirm my purchase.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Was he using Slambo because if so you better reword that real quick
Nah, he used Archaon. On his dumb pony.

Slambo was never an actual ~lore~ thing.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
From what I have seen so far Skarbrand factions looks to be the most busted faction in all warhammer games s so far. It is like Taurox campaign on steroids. It is almost like if you are playing the game with a trainer running in the background its ridiculous.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Savy Saracen salad posted:

From what I have seen so far Skarbrand factions looks to be the most busted faction in all warhammer games s so far. It is like Taurox campaign on steroids. It is almost like if you are playing the game with a trainer running in the background its ridiculous.

Yeah. That Chainsword is NUTTY, too.

Taurox just got dropped to second place on the "absolute unit LL" list.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I really want to get in on TWWH3 but like, I dunno.
The response to fash things in november felt a little 'we are doing this because we have to' and their attitude to fan projects is needlessly hostile, plus I get the feeling that mini buyers are treated like paypigs.

On the other hand, I do kinda want TWWH3 and there's no ethical etc etc. Hm.
Kinda wish the build a bear prince had a female option though too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iymarra posted:

The response to fash things in november felt a little 'we are doing this because we have to' and their attitude to fan projects is needlessly hostile, plus I get the feeling that mini buyers are treated like paypigs.

I am sure more female options will be modded in but the slaanesh stuff will have the mono breast aesthetic so there is something at the start.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Did anyone find out if we'll get mixed gender regiments for Cathay/Kislev/hopefully elves?

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijPptriPR4o

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Iymarra posted:

plus I get the feeling that mini buyers are treated like paypigs.

What's the story here? Aren't all consumers "paypigs" to all companies, to one degree or another?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Eimi posted:

Did anyone find out if we'll get mixed gender regiments for Cathay/Kislev/hopefully elves?

Can't speak for Kislev, but the Celestial Dragon Guard are a mixed unit. Wouldn't surprise me if peasants are too. So the technology's there.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

Going back to what I'd like to see after TWW3... I'm going to have to play three grognard cards here

First the LOL GET OUT OF HERE YOU OLD FART option (computer game) version: Total War Sword of Aragon. It was my first strategy war/turn based strategy game and I loved making armies and outfitting them depending on my finances, and units having different attack modes (heavy cavalry's overrun was OP)

The second LOL GET OUT OF HERE YOU OLD FART option is just as old as Sword of Aragon... Dungeons and dragons Birthright setting. It has all the things Warhammer does, and even has a reason to encourage fighting (killing someone with blood powers allows you to siphon off their powers to empower yours, bloodtheft). Now I could actually see this one happening.. CAs ability to work with Games Workshop indicates they could deal well with Hasbro and WotC.

And finally, total war dragonlance. Again, a setting that both encourages fighting with great armies and individual heroes and villains to act as agents and/or lords/heroes.

Dragonlance has all sorts of rights issues these days, IIRC.

If we are going with old groggy poo poo, if it wasn't for the whole "basically all weird, slightly racist white people interpretations of Asian things", Legend of the Five Rings would be a great Total War. The Clans in that all had very distinct identities in that 90s "personality types/jobs in a group" and each had a ton of main characters that would lend themselves to the TW:WH format. There were lots of unique units from the tabletop game and card game that could be easily adapted, magic, a recognizable Chaos-like threat for the campaign, and cool monsters that could be incorporated into every army, and even armies down the line of mostly monsters and a lesser sister setting for expansion. The issue is L5R is that even with the various reboots, the setting still has a some problematic issues, and the fanbase was never that big. But with the huge amount of RPG stuff and the fiction focus of that game, there's an almost comparable amount of ~LORE~ to draw upon as Warhammer has, despite being around for 10-20 fewer years.

Or they could just do, like, a high fantasy Shogun 3, which would be rad.

Most of the D&D settings don't really have the zazz needed and I doubt GW would be happy with the total war guys going with their major competition in the tabletop space. If GW still have some of the LotR rights and could give CA/Sega an in, I would bet that is the most likely property for the next high fantasy Total War, especially if the Amazon series gets any cultural foothold.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Iymarra posted:

The response to fash things in november felt a little 'we are doing this because we have to'

Was that when that youtuber dork got told to stop using their name or did something else happen

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If they wanted a different setting, do Dune. It's sci fi but everyone fights with swords and poo poo and you have plenty of factions just thanks to it breaking the setting into houses and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2lO8yacLA

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

DaysBefore posted:

Was that when that youtuber dork got told to stop using their name or did something else happen

I think they are referring to statement by GW telling hate groups to gently caress off and stop co-opting WH40K stuff. I thought it was worded pretty strongly for a big company.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Eimi posted:

If they wanted a different setting, do Dune. It's sci fi but everyone fights with swords and poo poo and you have plenty of factions just thanks to it breaking the setting into houses and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2lO8yacLA
Either that is a weirdly dark upload or that scene looks way worse on a smaller screen. I remember everything being way more readable on my TV.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Iymarra posted:

What.... does this mean for the uninitiated?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So of the changed mechanics, I think the biggest change (at least to my playstyle) is that reinforcing armies now have a timer before arriving to any battle, which in turn let them crank down the supply penalty from 15% to 4%

Before, I'd have a 20 stack closely followed by 3 single combat lords to quickly soak experience and level up into something dangerous before leading their own stacks, sometimes filling their army with cheap chafe or fast units to reinforce and also tip the auto resolve to easy wins, but with these changes it isn't the ultimate unbeatable strategy anymore and those single followers could get picked apart before reinforcements arrive and you don't automatically just win most of the battles because you brought 40 or 60 units to a city of 20 or less.

This should also cause the campaign to have far fewer 40vs40 clusterfuck battles and have a greater focus on 20 stacks roaming and besieging for attrition, and if the AI brings 40 you can attempt to win before the reinforcements arrive.

The other scenario I envision is they don't account for people going full lame and camping the edge of the map for 2-5 minutes until their reinforcements show up, even if they are the aggressors.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 20, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twigand Berries posted:

Yes, that streamer was rocking an almost entirely ranged army that was so loving boring to watch I didn’t after five minutes. He could have taken that town in half the time with some melee. Hell, half the damage to his balloon was friendly fire. Yes, the AI seems to break when you ask it to rush outside of the town it’s supposed to be defending.

Was this Legend. Cause he knows all the AI exploits and fights like a weirdo because of it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So of the changed mechanics, I think the biggest change (at least to my playstyle) is that reinforcing armies now have a timer before arriving to any battle, which in turn let them crank down the supply penalty from 15% to 4%

Before, I'd have a 20 stack closely followed by 3 single combat lords to quickly soak experience and level up into something dangerous before leading their own stacks, sometimes filling their army with cheap chafe or fast units to reinforce and also tip the auto resolve to easy wins, but with these changes it isn't the ultimate unbeatable strategy anymore and those single followers could get picked apart before reinforcements arrive and you don't automatically just win most of the battles because you brought 40 or 60 units to a city of 20 or less.

This should also cause the campaign to have far fewer 40vs40 clusterfuck battles and have a greater focus on 20 stacks roaming and besieging for attrition, and if the AI brings 40 you can attempt to win before the reinforcements arrive.

The other scenario I envision is they don't account for people going full lame and camping the edge of the map for 2-5 minutes until their reinforcements show up, even if they are the aggressors.

Which is good! Some of my favourite battles have involved desperately trying to crush the army that spawned in one part of the map before the army that spawned on the other side can close. Adds a real sense of desperation.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How many factions don't get any real artillery besides catapults or bolt throwers and are now going to be able to get 4 cannons per army if they want? Assuming outposts stick around in the Immortal Empires map.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What.... does this mean for the uninitiated?

Some guy in Spain showed up to a (not GW sponsored, mind) tournament with his models decked in Nazi regalia, and the tournament organizers declared him the winner because all his opponents refusing to play with him were counted as forfeits. GW released a statement saying 40k's setting is negative, but the real life community shouldn't be and Nazis aren't welcome.

They also told people they couldn't make money off their IP and would be more strict to content creators running patreons making 40k fanvids.

That's basically it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Iymarra posted:

Stop getting your opinions on warhammer from the manbabies on reddit/facebook.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Iymarra posted:

They did another anti fash thing this month.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Welp, another leak for the leak god

(Sorry, I embedded the picture and I can't find a way to delete the embed or the post)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I.... well, don't buy the game if you don't want to then I guess :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Azran posted:

Welp, another leak for the leak god

(Sorry, I embedded the picture and I can't find a way to delete the embed or the post)

Boris the Bear up in here doing things and stuff. CA in shambles. Leaks for the leak god, and spoilers for his spoiler throne!