Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

that's one syllable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How many syllables is chopper

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

How many syllables is chopper

Which make?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I pronounce squirrelled like invalid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

zedprime posted:

I pronounce squirrelled like invalid.

Wouldn't that just be invalid?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brawnfire posted:

My four year old ends her alphabet by writing W X Y N Z
Alphabets With New Zealand

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Noam Chomsky's least favourite graph.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I do like a good population pyramid. That got me browsing around many countries, but here's one I hadn't seen before, and I lack an explanation for:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Millions of dead sherpas trying to haul rich westerners to the top of Everest. :rip:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Count Roland posted:

I do like a good population pyramid. That got me browsing around many countries, but here's one I hadn't seen before, and I lack an explanation for:

Nepali men slaving away to Middle Eastern oil monarchies?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TinTower posted:

Noam Chomsky's least favourite graph.

Is the dip around 20 years ago the 'echo' of the Khmer Rouge, or did something else happen around then?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Honj Steak posted:

Nepali men slaving away to Middle Eastern oil monarchies?

I figured it would be that, but several places (Phillipines, Sri Lanka come to mind) also do this same thing but their population pyramids show no such distortion. Nearby Bhutan actually has a surplus of males for some reason.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Count Roland posted:

Nearby Bhutan actually has a surplus of males for some reason.

Well, there's your answer.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I assume it might have something to do with their civil war.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If "zed" is the British pronunciation for the letter z then why do the Spice Girls, the most British of all musical acts, sing "here's a story from a to zee" in their hit song Wannabe??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's just something the british do. q.v. all british rock bands singing with american accents

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If "zed" is the British pronunciation for the letter z then why do the Spice Girls, the most British of all musical acts, sing "here's a story from a to zee" in their hit song Wannabe??

It's not uncommon the dumb things down for an American audience.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It was a UK hit 6 months before it was an American hit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Unless there's some secret UK version where they say "from a to zed"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s common for lyrics to use alternate or fudged pronounciations of words to make a rhyme work. For example, a person who normally pronounces the word again as “uh-gen” may instead pronounce it as “uh-gain” for a song becuase that makes for an easier rhyme.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Unless there's some secret UK version where they say "from a to zed"

Ah fook 'es onta us, leg it lads

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I figured it would be that, but several places (Phillipines, Sri Lanka come to mind) also do this same thing but their population pyramids show no such distortion. Nearby Bhutan actually has a surplus of males for some reason.

Phillipines and Sri Lanka have a lot of women working overseas, mostly as domestic labor, which would even things out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ariong posted:

It’s common for lyrics to use alternate or fudged pronounciations of words to make a rhyme work. For example, a person who normally pronounces the word again as “uh-gen” may instead pronounce it as “uh-gain” for a song becuase that makes for an easier rhyme.
Yes, it's not like anything rhymes with "zed"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"If you wanna bed my lover you gotta get with my friends" would be less spice girls more spice channel.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
If you think zed is hosed up, ask British people to say the letter h

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

If you think zed is hosed up, ask British people to say the letter h

At least we say it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

90s Cringe Rock posted:

At least we say it.

'Ear this one? 'E's 'aving a laff!

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

90s Cringe Rock posted:

At least we say it.

Honest question: how do people who speak dialects with dropped h's pronounce "herbs"?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Whybird posted:

'Ear this one? 'E's 'aving a laff!
A suspiciously cryptofrench accent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jeebus bob posted:

Honest question: how do people who speak dialects with dropped h's pronounce "herbs"?

Technically, 'erbs is correct, and 'aitch should not have a voiceless... uvular fricative I think it's called? The hhhh breathing sound, it should not have that in it.

But I believe at some point there was a posh people language fad to over correct the habit of dropping sounds in speech and that led to the introduction of the sound to the letter H in some cases.

That it should not have the sound is why the words hour and our are homophones, nobody says how-er (there is probably some village or particularly inbred posh people who says how-er but they don't count) but some words, such as herb, acquired it.

However, I think some of the time you would probably drop it still if your dialect drops its h's as a rule.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Jan 21, 2022

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
the name Herb has the H sound voiced, but the word herb does not

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I love being corrected that it's "an historical" even though I and the braingenius are both pronouncing the H

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could say that that is an hypercorrection.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
It was weird coming from the UK to the US, and finding everyone apparently dropping into a cockney accent when they say "herb". Particularly TV adverts with English-accented voice-overs, which is where I first noticed it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Family Guy may be largely trash but if I ever don't pester my wife by saying "oh do you mean cool hwip" when she mentions the frozen dessert topping you can put me in my grave

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Platystemon posted:

You could say that that is an hypercorrection.

I believe you mean "ypercorrection", my goon sir.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking of differences between american and UK culture, what's all this about tipping

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

speaking of differences between american and UK culture, what's all this about tipping

Perhaps it would become more popular in the UK if there were more cattle farms

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

American neo-Protestantism that positioned itself in opposition to all traditional mainstream 'high churches', saw the move closer to the Old Testament Judaism as a way to restore the real Christianity of Christ and the Apostles. This, in part, lead to the wide adoption of the pseudo-scientific belief that circumcision could deter masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Paladinus posted:

I like to balance on my shoulder blades and piss into my own face