Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Papes posted:

Horseless carriages components will be fine and not worth the endless discussion they’ll end up generating

how many shades of brown and grey cubes can be on a grey grid? we will find out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The price point is wild. Up here we're looking at $157 CDN! Which is enough to get free shipping by default from most retailers.

Honestly, was just trolling with the component crack but I am curious to see what it looks like. I'll repost some information from the Geek, apologies if this was already presented earlier in the thread:

quote:

Horseless Carriage: You are a titan of the early auto industry. You are building cars, but no one is sure what the consumers want in their car. Do they want steering wheels? Brakes? Headlights? Every time you are playing, the wishes of the consumers, which you can somewhat influence, will be different. the market will develop in different ways.

What makes Horseless Carriage unique?: The unique thing about Horseless Carriage is in 2 parts, there is a consumer market that is unique in terms of the mechanism that is used to change consumer's minds. The other unique part is the factory where you are building the cars. The factory is the aspect they are most happy about. What you decide to put in your factory influences the types of cars you can make. They made the factory aspect a little more streamlined, it used to involve conveyor belts. The factory is somewhat of a geographical puzzle. Once you make the cars, you can sell them to the market. It sort of resembles food chain the way the market is, but the market is different Horseless Carraige. the factory is where the geography puzzle is. where do you put what and how do you manage this. if you are a really good player you can also see what other players are doing in their factories to see where you can get an advantage.

Where is the competition between players?: 2 fold. in the market, there is an order in which you sell cars. specific wishes that you may or may not be able to fulfill. at the start, players will only be able to make simple cars. also there is competition on parts that are added to your factory. There is a research tree where you can unlock factory components for yourself. when you research for yourself, you also somewhat research for everyone else? under some circumstances you can use other player's research. the tech tree is kinda shared? 2 basic strategies could be an engineering strategy where you do all your own research, or an MBA approach where you just piggy back off of everyone else's research. they are testing it in tabletop sim. they will likely playtest it at essen, but may still make big changes. still needs a lot of balancing.

Splotter is incredible so here's hoping this isn't their first confirmed flop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Horseless Carriage is going to let you design Homer’s car and convince the consumers that’s what they want. It’s going to be incredible.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My tabletop gaming life has had numerous "before" and "after" moments, where nothing was the same after, and discovering Splotter games was one of moments for me.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

FulsomFrank posted:

Splotter is incredible so here's hoping this isn't their first confirmed flop.

This post is Duck Dealer and Cannes erasure.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mighty Eris posted:

This post is Duck Dealer and Cannes erasure.

stalin_disappearing_yezhov.jpeg

I've honestly never even heard of Duck Dealer or Cannes but came to Splotter when they released FCM so I willingly abandon any hipster proto-nerd cache when it comes to the freaky deaky Dutchmen. That said, everything I've played since has been quite good so I'm assuming these games were flawed but just ahead of their time like the Dreamcast.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to be really disappointed if Horseless Carriage doesn't have giant oversized wooden meeples for table presence

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

I mean they’ve been on a hell of a roll for a while so sight unseen purchase seems reasonable, but I’d always heard that a lot of the understandable skittishness they feel about overprinting is due to the bath they took on Duck Dealer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Horseless Carriage is going to let you design Homer’s car and convince the consumers that’s what they want. It’s going to be incredible.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Duck Dealer is underappreciated imo, still haven't played my copy of Cannes yet though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone know where to pickup a copy of the Medic KS promo for Nemesis on the cheap?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

taser rates posted:

Duck Dealer is underappreciated imo, still haven't played my copy of Cannes yet though.

Honestly, I would love to give it a try because delivery logistics is my gaming sweet spot but if you’re talking about Splotter flops that’s the one that ended up on clearance. Cannes was just no fun the one time I played it, but it was long ago and I had way less critical awareness about games so I couldn’t tell you anything besides “it wasn’t very fun.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mighty Eris posted:

I mean they’ve been on a hell of a roll for a while so sight unseen purchase seems reasonable, but I’d always heard that a lot of the understandable skittishness they feel about overprinting is due to the bath they took on Duck Dealer.

Duck Dealer has some hilarious jokes in it. My favourite is that you make a cargo hold by combining a telephone box with blue paint. Why? Because as anyone who has seen Doctor Who knows, telephone boxes painted blue are much bigger on the inside.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Duck Dealer and (to a lesser extent) Greed, Inc. are the only flops I would argue Splotter has. Cannes came out when their only real hit was Roads and Boats.

Duck Dealer and Greed both followed up the back to back smashes (critically) of Antiquity and Indonesia. So they were seen as massive disappointments which is part of what I would deem necessary to call a game a flop.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So I'm at a point where I'd be willing to throw money at a Splotter. Recommendations? I was thinking of FCM but I've heard that decisions on the first turn can decide the game and then you're just playing a slow death, which is... probably not my thing.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The Great Zimbabwe is the most approachable popular Splitter. Followed probably by Indonesia.

E: add Bus somewhere in there and you have your top 3.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been recommended duck dealer and need to keep an eye out for a used copy

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

So I'm at a point where I'd be willing to throw money at a Splotter. Recommendations? I was thinking of FCM but I've heard that decisions on the first turn can decide the game and then you're just playing a slow death, which is... probably not my thing.

That's not accurate. You can definitely make a bad choice that would cost you the game on turn one, but after a few rounds of play it's extremely obvious what those would be, especially with the milestones from the expansion (which are available to print free on BGG*). If all players are on equal footing then it becomes a really tight game of cutting one another off or pivoting at just the right time and hoping your opponents didn't plan accordingly. A new player will get trounced, but with a little guidance they can still play the game and enjoy it (and actually make money unless you want to completely shark them for some reason).

*they also speed the game up and have better guidance for new players and strategy overall

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

You UKian? I have a slightly used copy for sale.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

CitizenKeen posted:

They don’t really have a game that would appeal to you then. That’s a core pillar of their design ethos and the exceptions to the rule are incredibly hard to find.

I’l would say your post is a bit of an exaggeration though unless you are talking high level play. You can certainly make mistakes, but you will get outpaced by an opponent that does not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Papes posted:

They don’t really have a game that would appeal to you then. That’s a core pillar of their design ethos and the exceptions to the rule are incredibly hard to find.

I’l would say your post is a bit of an exaggeration though unless you are talking high level play. You can certainly make mistakes, but you will get outpaced by an opponent that does not.

I think it's worth correcting that "first turn decisions can decide the whole game" is not the Splotter ethos. They said "if you can't lose on turn one, why have a turn one?" which just means that the decisions are important and you can absolutely put yourself in a hole if you choose a really bad first move (which again, is obvious if you understand the game). They also include tips in most (all?) the rulebooks to not screw yourself first round or later. First round is important, but barring a really glaring bad choice, it will not dictate who wins and loses the game.

The first hires in FCM get a lot of attention because hiring something like a kitchen trainee on turn one is a complete waste and will probably cost you the game, but most discussion completely ignores the first "turn" being restaurant placement which is equally if not more important that your first hire (or at the least, probably informs it heavily).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

Duck Dealer and (to a lesser extent) Greed, Inc. are the only flops I would argue Splotter has. Cannes came out when their only real hit was Roads and Boats.

Duck Dealer and Greed both followed up the back to back smashes (critically) of Antiquity and Indonesia. So they were seen as massive disappointments which is part of what I would deem necessary to call a game a flop.

Greed Inc is also underappreciated imo, I think it might actually be my 3rd favorite Splotter after R&B and Indonesia. In terms of public perception though I think you're right since those were both on the backs of Indonesia and Antiquity.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Dancer posted:

The Great Zimbabwe is the most approachable popular Splitter. Followed probably by Indonesia.

E: add Bus somewhere in there and you have your top 3.

I really hope Capstone does another printing of Bus. I’ve enjoyed playing on spielbyweb a ton but I couldn’t justify a new 3+ player game during Covid and now it’s sold out everywhere. :ohdear:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

I got my copy off ebay from this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1547735765...%3ABFBMzLjFz85f

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there a list of best Middleweight+ board games to play once a year with a variable cast of players?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

taser rates posted:

Greed Inc is also underappreciated imo, I think it might actually be my 3rd favorite Splotter after R&B and Indonesia. In terms of public perception though I think you're right since those were both on the backs of Indonesia and Antiquity.

I haven’t had a chance to play Greed yet. I agree Duck Dealer is under appreciated.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Bus can be taught in 10 min or less.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

You UKian? I have a slightly used copy for sale.

Nah, I live in the country that WON the Revolutionary War :911:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My splotter rankings have moved around a lot over the years. I think at this point I’d say:

Indonesia > Bus > Zimbabwe > Food Chain Magnate

Bus is the splotter logistics puzzle distilled to its core and the game plays in like an hour. Indonesia is very long, but it’s incredible. I rarely have a desire to play FCM anymore because Indonesia is so good and takes about the same amount of time.

I’ve never played roads and boats or antiquity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Roads & Boats is good, but it really takes far, far too long to play. Where Bus is the distilled essence of Splotter R&B is its maximum bloat.

I'd put Duck Dealer ahead of FCM and R&B, behind Bus and TGZ. It shares the problem of TGZ where you have to recalculate all your plans on the fly based on turn order, which greatly slows down the game. On the other hand, there's much more space to manoeuvre in and the finite number of action turns encourages you not to push for maximum work as you may be better off accelerating game end.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I own Bus and TGZ, and would pick up R&B if it weren't a million dollars. Maybe they'll reprint it a sixth time for its 25th anniversary in a few years? Who knows.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
You can also be a dead man walking in Roads and Boats if you don't build the right thing first, which happened to my wife and me the first time we played and caused a little chuckle. And then we just restarted. I really liked it and didn't find that it took too long beyond the learning curve because the rulebook was poo poo and since I had the reprint, it was extremely frustrating trying to determine which components were appropriate for just the base game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Megasabin posted:

My splotter rankings have moved around a lot over the years. I think at this point I’d say:

Indonesia > Bus > Zimbabwe > Food Chain Magnate

Bus is the splotter logistics puzzle distilled to its core and the game plays in like an hour. Indonesia is very long, but it’s incredible. I rarely have a desire to play FCM anymore because Indonesia is so good and takes about the same amount of time.

I’ve never played roads and boats or antiquity.

Ketchup speeds up FCM significantly and makes it the second fastest of those listed. Much faster than Indo now.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there any appreciable difference between R&B&C 4th edition and the 20th anniversary edition?

I have a copy of each and don't know which to get rid of. the 20th century box lid is a bit crushed so if there's no difference I probably sell that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I think it's worth correcting that "first turn decisions can decide the whole game" is not the Splotter ethos. They said "if you can't lose on turn one, why have a turn one?"

ok but if you can lose on turn one, then first turn decisions can decide the whole game

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fate Accomplice posted:

is there any appreciable difference between R&B&C 4th edition and the 20th anniversary edition?

I have a copy of each and don't know which to get rid of. the 20th century box lid is a bit crushed so if there's no difference I probably sell that.

Depending on your price I may take one off your hands, so lmk if you decide to sell one?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

ok but if you can lose on turn one, then first turn decisions can decide the whole game

Right, but outside of first time playing with no guidance or reading the tips in the rulebook, that shouldn’t happen. I’d argue the same could be said of any number of euro games where there are obvious good and bad first turns. This only became a talking point with Splotter because their games are very sink or swim in a way MWEs are not. You can take terrible first turns in Agricola, Concordia, T&E, etc, that could also cost you the game. You can bid all your meeples of a color on a spring tile in Keyflower turn 1. It’s not a smart move, but you can do it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 20, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fate Accomplice posted:

Roads and Boats and Coats

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Has anyone played Radlands a few times yet? I had my first play of it at my local meet yesterday and really enjoyed it. Enough I'm thinking of grabbing a copy but wondering if it is going to have much longevity or if it quickly gets stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Has anyone played Radlands a few times yet? I had my first play of it at my local meet yesterday and really enjoyed it. Enough I'm thinking of grabbing a copy but wondering if it is going to have much longevity or if it quickly gets stale.

Mayveena is going to be doing a video on it soon, I think.