Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s all self-inflicted too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ghislaine Maxwell formally submitted her request for a new trial after two jurors talked to the media and said they may have lied on their juror forms.

Still somewhat unlikely, but very possible, that she gets a new trial. And even if she did, it seems very unlikely that she would get declared innocent of all charges in a second trial.

But, still pretty stupid for the jurors to get on TV and say that.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1484166513762447364

BiggerBoat posted:

What a loving disaster. Holy moly

Biden approval hits new low at one-year mark: AP-NORC poll

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-business-health-inflation-6b6b0abfef867fc405e9f358ce2c3a09

More Americans disapprove than approve of how Biden is handling his job as president, 56% to 43%. As of now, just 28% of Americans say they want Biden to run for reelection in 2024, including only 48% of Democrats.

Asked on Wednesday at a wide-ranging news conference about his flagging popularity, Biden responded, “I don’t believe the polls.”

Americans are even more downbeat about his handling of the economy, with just 37% approving.

The approval ratings are bad, but the run for re-election numbers are almost always always like that.

These were the "Should they run for re-election?" numbers two years out for each President from Pew:

quote:

Obama: 41%
Reagan: 31%
Clinton: 34%
Carter: 50%
George H.W. Bush: 53%

Hilariously, Carter and H.W. Bush were the only modern Presidents who a majority thought should run for re-election and then they got historically trounced.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, I mean his whole campaign was "return to normal", but that's an impossibility at this point. And it's not just about COVID, it's that the American polity is fundamentally split - there was never, ever going to be some grand return to amicable bipartisanship. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

The thing is that Biden correctly read the moment during the election - the majority of Americans DID want a return to "normal". The country is still in denial. So even though it's likely that, say, a Sanders might have been willing to DO more through executive action when he got in, I don't know that he actually would have won in 2020.

So it's both Biden's fault and also kind of out of his hands, and I'm not sure that anybody else would be doing any better - the American system is caught in some inherent contradictions that you can't really work out with the system as-is. I do think that the Dem majority DOES want to improve the system - but not fundamentally change it - which is impossible given the "rules" of the game. The reason the GOP is as effective as it is is because they fundamentally don't care about the system, and will happily just break every rule to enrich themselves and their masters.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right? I didn't have high expectations and never liked Biden but I voted for him because gently caress Donald Trump, yet this is somehow worse than I predicted. I figured that, in general, things would be relatively average and improve somewhat just by virtue of removing a complete and total moron from office.

Man was I wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Last week, we created a pig-man and took his heart.

Now, we created part of another pig-man and took his kidneys.

We are just asking for a pig-man uprising once we start producing them en masse and harvesting their organs.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1484148735655481346

(This is seriously good news, though. The amount of people in the world who die simply because there isn't a viable transplant option available for them and they #384 on the waiting list is crazy.)

Roughly 419 people per day die in the world (22 per day in the U.S.), who could have made complete recoveries, just because there was a lack of organs.

For kidneys alone, 3,000 people are added to the waiting list every day in the U.S. and ~60,000 people world-wide are added to kidney waiting lists every day.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Last week, we created a pig-man and took his heart.

Now, we created part of another pig-man and took his kidneys.

We are just asking for a pig-man uprising once we start producing them en masse and harvesting their organs.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1484148735655481346

(This is seriously good news, though. The amount of people in the world who die simply because there isn't a viable transplant option available for them and they #384 on the waiting list is crazy.)

Roughly 419 people per day die in the world (22 per day in the U.S.), who could have made complete recoveries, just because there was a lack of organs.

For kidneys alone, 3,000 people are added to the waiting list every day in the U.S. and ~60,000 people world-wide are added to kidney waiting lists every day.

Also in conjunction with this story you should listen to RadioLab's "Return of Alpha Gal" episode.

It includes the original Alpha Gal episode (dealing with the red meat tick induced allergy - it has a direct connection to the pig stuff) and then an update that directly addresses the above story.

It's really great and the guest, Amy Pearl, is a gem.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/return-alpha-gal

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But, still pretty stupid for the jurors to get on TV and say that.

It's just crazy how everyone becomes just too stupid to get a conviction to stick when a rich person with a bunch of celebrity friends does a crime

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

VitalSigns posted:

It's just crazy how everyone becomes just too stupid to get a conviction to stick when a rich person with a bunch of celebrity friends does a crime

Honestly, I think if the media gave as much attention to every trial's jurors as it did to this kind of high profile fiasco, you'd see more of this kind of idiocy uncovered. I have friends who are prosecutors and/or criminal defense attorneys and some of the stuff they uncover if they have the resources to follow up with jurors is pretty hair-raising.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Right? I didn't have high expectations and never liked Biden but I voted for him because gently caress Donald Trump, yet this is somehow worse than I predicted. I figured that, in general, things would be relatively average and improve somewhat just by virtue of removing a complete and total moron from office.

Man was I wrong.

I had low expectations but I'm actually shocked how he managed to slide under them anyway.

I figured we would at least get some voting rights because their political survival depends on it, and a gesture like that $10k loan forgiveness EO which wouldn't solve the problem but at least would be something he could do without congress.

Covid is of course the disaster I expected since he campaigned on Trump locking down the country too much and prioritized reopening schools and welp, but I did think we would have plenty of tests and masks because why wouldn't you mass produce that poo poo, even if you only care about the Dow you'd mass produce that poo poo, hell it's even a great grifting opportunity to give production contracts to your friends and overpay like crazy. I never expected their attitude to covid to be to just pretend it's over and try cargo culting our way through it by not admitting that we need masks again until waaaay too late.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Adams is continuing his quest to Make New York Weird Again.

- He is taking his first three paychecks as Mayor in cryptocurrency.

- He is also assembling a panel to discuss updating technology education in public schools to include cryptocurrency and the blockchain.

- Finally, he is considering a plan to launch an official New York City crypto coin to raise money for the city.

https://twitter.com/Mr_Berman/status/1484176749155868676

quote:

The incoming mayor of New York City thinks that schools should add cryptocurrency and blockchain technology to the curriculum, as Eric Adams ups the ante in his plan to transform the city into a crypto hotspot.

In an interview with CNN's "State of the Union," Eric Adams said that bitcoin is the "new way of paying for goods and services throughout the entire globe" and that schools "must" teach the technology behind it, as well as "this new way of thinking."

"When I talked about blockchain and bitcoins, young people on the street stopped and asked me, 'What is that?'" Adams told CNN on Sunday.

When asked whether he could explain bitcoin to viewers in 30 seconds, he said that even experts would have a challenge doing that.

The mayor-elect did not specify whether he was referring to elementary, high school, or tertiary-level education.

When asked whether he would encourage businesses in New York City to accept bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies, Adams said that they were "going to look at it" and "tread carefully."

"We are going to get it right," continued Adams.

Adams also says it is okay if he loses a lot of his personal money by taking his paychecks in crypto because... he apparently likes to take risky bets in the regular stock market too and has lost a lot money there.

quote:

"I've lost thousands of dollars in the stock market during the stock market crash in my retirement fund. Volatility is part of some of the investments that we make," said Adams.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/08/bitcoin-in-new-york-eric-adams-says-crypto-should-be-taught-in-school.html

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I kind of wish that was true but it was definitely big in some places. If you watched regular people news it was treated as a very, very real and serious thing on your 60 Minutes and the like. Nice to see they're giving up on it.

I mean, in addition to giving the military 3/4 of a trillion dollars last year, there was amazing bipartisan agreement in Congress over the funding for the victims of this psychogenesis.

I'm pretty sure that a few dnd'ers (including at least one mod) argued in favor of the spy beams being real & bad at the time the funding was passed.

And, to be fair, mental illness & mass psychosis can manifest in genuinely debilitating physiologic ways--just not due to Russkie mindbeams.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Eric Adams is continuing his quest to Make New York Weird Again.

- He is taking his first three paychecks as Mayor in cryptocurrency.

- He is also assembling a panel to discuss updating technology education in public schools to include cryptocurrency and the blockchain.

- Finally, he is considering a plan to launch an official New York City crypto coin to raise money for the city.

https://twitter.com/Mr_Berman/status/1484176749155868676

Adams also says it is okay if he loses a lot of his personal money by taking his paychecks in crypto because... he apparently likes to take risky bets in the regular stock market too and has lost a lot money there.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/08/bitcoin-in-new-york-eric-adams-says-crypto-should-be-taught-in-school.html

Has anyone let him know how bad Crypto is for the climate, or are we just resigned to our fate at this point?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm pretty sure that a few dnd'ers (including at least one mod) argued in favor of the spy beams being real & bad.

I don't recall this at all, but maybe I just gloss over stuff more than the rest of you guys.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Can people show me how and where Manchin and Sinema are receiving "massive bribes" to vote against the fillibuster reform and BBB? I keep seeing this constantly but can find nothing on it but conspiracy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

Has anyone let him know how bad Crypto is for the climate, or are we just resigned to our fate at this point?

To be fair to Adams, crypto doesn't have to be bad for the environment. It is the mining process that is terrible for the environment. You can have a blockchain that doesn't require a billion GPUs spinning 24/7. If you just make a fixed amount of coins and sell them without mining, then you are basically just selling stocks/variable value gift cards that you put on a hard drive.

The whole appeal of crypto to 99% of crypto holders is selling it for a huge profit to someone else who is hopping to sell it for a huge profit, so the non-mining aspects of the blockchain are not something that the vast majority care about, though.

But, the actual answer is almost assuredly that he is just doing this as a marketing stunt and potentially to raise money for the city by cashing in on the hype and has not thought about it beyond that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 20, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can do everything practical a blockchain does at vastly greater efficiency, the blockchain/energy wasting aspect is mostly to support the zero-trust feature that only criminals and libertarians really need

Bishyaler posted:

This is not the first time he's brought it up, IIRC he floated the crypto salary proposal during his campaign

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 20, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

RadicalTranslation posted:

Can people show me how and where Manchin and Sinema are receiving "massive bribes" to vote against the fillibuster reform and BBB? I keep seeing this constantly but can find nothing on it but conspiracy.

This is more about donations, from what I understand.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/10/sinema-gop-donors-money-budget-republican-megadonors/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/21/joe-manchin-pac-saw-surge-of-corporate-donations-as-he-fought-biden-agenda.html

Legally distinct from bribery but still pretty harmful.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

Mitch sees your 24% approval rating and is betting it can go even lower

https://twitter.com/bse229/status/1484007688866566150

What is the gaffe here? The implication that African-Americans aren't Americans? Or that Mitch doesn't want African-Americans to vote at a higher percentage than the rest of America?

I'm sure there is one, but I'm wondering if there is something I don't understand.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bishyaler posted:

the neoliberal zeitgeist is p much settled at this point :regd08:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

[...]

Americans are even more downbeat about his handling of the economy, with just 37% approving.

Joyce Bowen needs to educate herself on lower-wage workers getting the biggest raises ever last year!

quote:

Joyce Bowen, 61, of Knoxville, Tennessee, said Biden deserves credit for encouraging Americans to get vaccinated, but she expressed frustration about the administration’s response to soaring inflation.

The part-time cleaner at a public library said she and her older brother, who she helps support, have been eating less meat to offset rising grocery costs and intermittent spikes at the gas pump that have whittled the purchasing power of her $754 biweekly paycheck.

Also, that mere 28 percent (and fewer than a majority of Democrats) who want to see Biden run for reelection is just jaw-dropping after his one year in office, especially with the 2024 backup plan being even more disliked than he is.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

haveblue posted:

You can do everything a blockchain does at vastly greater efficiency, the blockchain/energy wasting aspect is mostly to support the zero-trust feature that only criminals and libertarians really need

This is not the first time he's brought it up, IIRC he floated the crypto salary proposal during his campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBC5TVdYT8

I thought crypto was kind of done, but I'm never good about knowing when the bubble is due to pop. Maybe it never will.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boot and Rally posted:

What is the gaffe here? The implication that African-Americans aren't Americans? Or that Mitch doesn't want African-Americans to vote at a higher percentage than the rest of America?

I'm sure there is one, but I'm wondering if there is something I don't understand.

I mean, yeah, I guess the gaffe is that it implies that "African Americans" are not a subset of "Americans"; there wouldn't really be any problem with the sentence if you added the word "overall" at the end. It's reminiscent of Biden's "poor kids are just as smart as white kids". McConnell is precisely nine months older than Joe Biden so he's gonna have his moments too.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 20, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

I had low expectations but I'm actually shocked how he managed to slide under them anyway.

I figured we would at least get some voting rights because their political survival depends on it, and a gesture like that $10k loan forgiveness EO which wouldn't solve the problem but at least would be something he could do without congress.

Covid is of course the disaster I expected since he campaigned on Trump locking down the country too much and prioritized reopening schools and welp, but I did think we would have plenty of tests and masks because why wouldn't you mass produce that poo poo, even if you only care about the Dow you'd mass produce that poo poo, hell it's even a great grifting opportunity to give production contracts to your friends and overpay like crazy. I never expected their attitude to covid to be to just pretend it's over and try cargo culting our way through it by not admitting that we need masks again until waaaay too late.

Yeah and while obviously all campaign promises need to be taken with a grain of salt, it's wild that even a lot of the simpler promises wrt covid are still unfulfilled a year later!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not really sure why I bother to disagree with this statement, because it's not like he's done a good job, but it's not "all" self-inflicted. Even if you want to blame Biden 100% for what congress won't do, covid and inflation are not self-inflicted, and they are large drivers of his bad approval numbers. There are plenty of people who could be doing better in office in terms of setting the country up for long- and medium-term success, but there is probably not a single person in the world who would be above 50% in approval as US President right now.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The CIA is pretty forgiving of individual craziness and eccentricity, for a few reasons. It’s the descendant of OSS and more generally the postwar intelligence milieu, which was full to the rafters with goofies, alcoholics, British people (an entire category unto themselves) and dudes who watched each other jack off in a coffin.

America doesn’t mind you being crazy by yourself, as an individual. They let an actual-factual paranoid schizophrenic run (and destroy) American counterintelligence efforts for years. But a mass psychogenic illness is a different beast, it represents a form of collective self-identification, a sort of class consciousness if you will within the structures of the agency that is apart from the formal structures that everyone accepts as being oppositional; analysis vs operations, sigint vs humint. It’s entirely unacceptable to the people in charge that there are formations within the agency that operate separate from the formal structures, so they had to smack this down, despite being an agency that has gone to bat for its worst and craziest actors more than almost any other in our government.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't recall this at all, but maybe I just gloss over stuff more than the rest of you guys.

Here's a sample of the debates about it that we were having here a few months ago.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

BiggerBoat posted:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-business-health-inflation-6b6b0abfef867fc405e9f358ce2c3a09

Asked on Wednesday at a wide-ranging news conference about his flagging popularity, Biden responded, “I don’t believe the polls.”
Really nice that his response to absolutely loving miserable (and well deserved) polling numbers is tantamount to, "Fake news."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

But hey, the CIA got a bunch of extra money, and in then end isn’t that what really matters?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

But hey, the CIA got a bunch of extra money, and in then end isn’t that what really matters?

The CIA didn't get any extra money. The Havana Syndrome bill they passed just let the State Department and CIA heads approve medical treatments, injury pay, and sick leave for employees without requiring employees to go through the normal approval process for medical benefits or leave.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

The CIA didn't get any extra money. The Havana Syndrome bill they passed just let the State Department and CIA heads approve medical treatments, injury pay, and sick leave for employees without requiring employees to go through the normal approval process for medical benefits or leave.

And I’m sure every penny is going to go right to the “sick”.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

Getting the exact kind of headache it takes to upgrade my boat dock

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBC5TVdYT8

I thought crypto was kind of done, but I'm never good about knowing when the bubble is due to pop. Maybe it never will.
Funny story. That website got hacked a few days ago and lost $15 million worth of crypto

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

It's just access to the same leave programs, healthcare, and injury pay that all federal employees have. It's run by OPM. They can just skip the paperwork and doctor's notes if the director gives them a waiver. Because a doctor can't diagnose the source of most of the cases, they were not eligible. Only the few people who had TBI damage show up on scans were eligible before.

There are many better ways to funnel money to the CIA (they even have an official black budget for this purpose) than to approve paid time off and medical reimbursements for about 200 people - most of whom were State Department employees and not CIA anyway.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RadicalTranslation posted:

No, because there isn't some faceless dude in a trenchcoat handing them a giant $ labeled bag while saying "Here is the bribe money for all the bribes I am bribing you with."
It's all laundered through technically legal donations and vacations and board positions for friends and family that are totally a coincidence and not at all related to Manchin and the rest of them voting the way those gift-givers happen to prefer.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Congress gave State Dept. employees more PTO than they gave the rest of us working stiffs, lol.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

the_steve posted:

No, because there isn't some faceless dude in a trenchcoat handing them a giant $ labeled bag while saying "Here is the bribe money for all the bribes I am bribing you with."
It's all laundered through technically legal donations and vacations and board positions for friends and family that are totally a coincidence and not at all related to Manchin and the rest of them voting the way those gift-givers happen to prefer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkpYqKKrewU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Congress gave State Dept. employees more PTO than they gave the rest of us working stiffs, lol.

Need to invent a mass psychogenic illness for the rest of us. Malingering4All, let’s force the vote!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Willa Rogers posted:

Dude m4a exists just get havannah syndrome and your on your way to socialism

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Funny story. That website got hacked a few days ago and lost $15 million worth of crypto

30 million actually, if we're doing crypto the undeserved dignity of valuing it in dollars.

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1484178271138947072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mercury_Storm posted:

30 million actually, if we're doing crypto the undeserved dignity of valuing it in dollars.

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1484178271138947072

I mean, the only way crypto has ANY value is by relating it to how much its worth in USD. That's the only way it has value. If you can't get USD for crypto, its nearly worthless.