Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

WHO: "We believe half of Europe may be down with the Omicron inside the next 8 weeks."

Germany: "Lemme get right on that."

Some opposition politicians have already been quoted with "This may actually be the best way into Covid becoming endemic, because if we all catch it before the summer, and infections naturally go down hard before the fall, we'll be all loving set before the next winter."

:cripes:

In booster-news, woke up in the middle of the night with the sweats, went back to sleep after about two hours of restless rolling around, woke up somewhat drained, drank some electrolytes, so far so good. What is a bit worrying is that it's mirroring my last mRNA shot, where the real side effects didn't set in until roughly 24 hours after the jab, so I'm looking forward to going downhill around 10am, and hope I'll be fine again by the afternoon.

Still doesn't beat my relief about finally having the booster shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
These massive stupid morons who think 'oh just get everyone sick and it will be better' can go straight to hell

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Chicken Pox Parties" on a national scale, with a virus several orders of magnitude more dangerous than chicken pox.

It makes the ineptness exhibited in Chernobyl seem saner by comparison.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
lets take this virus which has mutated several times to become even more virulent and give it more times to mutate!

what could possibly go wrong!?!?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/PabloReports/status/1483979232816635909?s=20

Why's my dog going nuts outside

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Defenestrategy posted:

Welp, so I guess that's it. Manchin and Sinema have effectively doomed the democrat party to a rump party that will never achieve any sort of senate majority or presidency. Unless against all odds the democrats retain what they have and pick up two more seats in 22 and then rush the filibuster and voting rights to be hashed out before 24

I hate those two. I hate how one person can effectively control the Senate and gets whatever they want or nothing happens.

I also believe that, Manchin at least, sees how this will immediately get weaponized against the Dems after the midterms.

We need a better system entirely that prevents a single person from holding up the will of the nation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ASAPI posted:

I hate those two. I hate how one person can effectively control the Senate and gets whatever they want or nothing happens.

I also believe that, Manchin at least, sees how this will immediately get weaponized against the Dems after the midterms.

We need a better system entirely that prevents a single person from holding up the will of the nation.

The senate was deliberately designed for this purpose and is filling the intended purpose. Our country was founded by compromising with nazis and we have let them run things since the start.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Abolish the senate

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 20, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

Abolish the senate

I agree, but I think we're just gonna balkanize and form a new nation first because there's no way to effectively do so with the current constitution.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Democrat party didn't need help dooming itself into irrelevance but it got help anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree, but I think we're just gonna balkanize and form a new nation first because there's no way to effectively do so with the current constitution.

If you can reach the amendment supermajority thresholds, you can just pass one amendment to strike that clause from Article V, then have no pesky restrictions on your followup amendment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Abolish the senate

You have faith in your regional governor?

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t seem to go to sleep without making my arms fall asleep and having them go numb.

You might want to get evaluated for cubital tunnel syndrome - I was recently diagnosed and that is one of the top symptoms on the checklist.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
King of the Hill is coming back.

The A.V. Club: Mike Judge and Greg Daniels are bringing back that dang ol' King Of The Hill.
https://www.avclub.com/king-of-the-hill-is-coming-back-courtesy-of-mike-judge-1848388083

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The A.V. Club: Mike Judge and Greg Daniels are bringing back that dang ol' King Of The Hill.
https://www.avclub.com/king-of-the-hill-is-coming-back-courtesy-of-mike-judge-1848388083

It's going to be weird seeing Dale be a voice of a reason lol. Honestly I think they should go with the joke that he thinks Q people are idiots and that it's a giant gov't honeypot. So it's still wrong and conspiratorial, but even Dale thinks Q people are idiots.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think Bill would fall into a Q trap though. Dale's intelligence is unconventional, but he'd surely be smart enough to see what's going on.

But Bill would have a trump flag flying from a car dealership flagpole in his yard.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Best general description of the administration and our collective attitude about it:

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1484184427257286656?t=IG7oIbEu8tuwrTMX1byJvw&s=19

I remember in the late Obama years that there were a lot of authors publishing books about how government got so big and has to do so much that not even someone fully competent could run it effectively. They never had good solutions, because right now, the only ones that can do anything would be the states, and they're full of this kind of thing:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1483890779563122692?t=1bbSMlb242E2Sr45U0TD4Q&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think Bill would fall into a Q trap though. Dale's intelligence is unconventional, but he'd surely be smart enough to see what's going on.

But Bill would have a trump flag flying from a car dealership flagpole in his yard.

Bill strikes me as too good natured to get into the deep Q/Trump stuff on his own. That said if someone was pushing or encouraging him into it, then I could seem him getting into it. Bill is very much a follower.

It's actually funny I stopped watching the show after a few seasons, but years later I found out just how much depth the show had with it's characters over time from watching a bunch of youtube video's on the show after coming across SiR's John Redcorn video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Our country was founded by compromising with nazis and we have let them run things since the start.

:dafuq:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nazi means "people I don't like" hth

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

The senate was deliberately designed for this purpose and is filling the intended purpose. Our country was founded by compromising with nazis and we have let them run things since the start.

Eh, yes and no. The Senate has certainly become an obstructionist logjam (a development that took place during the 1800s), but this wasn't baked in from the outset - the filibuster, for instance, is an exploitation of the rules that's been codified rather than a procedure that was intentionally included at the start. As for the creation of the Senate itself, it was the result of compromise not between slave states and free states, but big states and small states - as states like Delaware and Rhode Island were concerned about being dominated by New York and Virginia. The Senate would certainly become the frontline of the free state/slave state divide, but that wouldn't be for several years after the Constitution was written and adopted.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Chicken Pox Parties" on a national scale, with a virus several orders of magnitude more dangerous than chicken pox.

It makes the ineptness exhibited in Chernobyl seem saner by comparison.

Today's politicians would have let the core slag melt into the aquifer and claimed it was the best possible outcome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Well poo poo now I think it might be real

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grip it and rip it posted:

Today's politicians would have let the core slag melt into the aquifer and claimed it was the best possible outcome

Today’s politicians would deny 9/11

E: never mind it’s too exploitable for the war economy. Never forget.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Bill strikes me as too good natured to get into the deep Q/Trump stuff on his own. That said if someone was pushing or encouraging him into it, then I could seem him getting into it. Bill is very much a follower.

It's actually funny I stopped watching the show after a few seasons, but years later I found out just how much depth the show had with it's characters over time from watching a bunch of youtube video's on the show after coming across SiR's John Redcorn video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

This one is perfect on so many levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgjzHQafDM

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

I dont see how you look at the political calculous and go "status quo is fine and good" unless youre fine with switching parties. I dont see how you look at the status quo and are fine with it if you are sinema specifically because her state specifically enacted laws which are gonna get her tossed in 24 regardless of how good of a campaigner she thinks she is.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haha that was one of the videos I remember watching. Dale is eventually Goku status.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, yes and no. The Senate has certainly become an obstructionist logjam (a development that took place during the 1800s), but this wasn't baked in from the outset - the filibuster, for instance, is an exploitation of the rules that's been codified rather than a procedure that was intentionally included at the start. As for the creation of the Senate itself, it was the result of compromise not between slave states and free states, but big states and small states - as states like Delaware and Rhode Island were concerned about being dominated by New York and Virginia. The Senate would certainly become the frontline of the free state/slave state divide, but that wouldn't be for several years after the Constitution was written and adopted.

It was created explicitly so that land would have a vote. The senate has always been antidemocratic. It doesn't matter that they codified it in later ways with the filibuster and such. The senate, from the onset, has been to ensure that the right people always had control of the government.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

I dont see how you look at the political calculous and go "status quo is fine and good" unless youre fine with switching parties. I dont see how you look at the status quo and are fine with it if you are sinema specifically because her state specifically enacted laws which are gonna get her tossed in 24 regardless of how good of a campaigner she thinks she is.

Oh no she's done after this. Well maybe not considering reality but god we can all hope. I hope she gets cheated out of her lobbying or consulting gigs too. gently caress her

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Someone should probably ask Kamala again if Biden or Manchin is the President

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Kinda torn on that. The original run is one of my favorites but there are a few dozen episodes I’ve never seen from the later seasons as they’re so dull I switch to something else. Lots of bad Judge political takes against liberal strawmen not insulated by the excellent early season writing, Luanne’s character development is abandoned to make her Lucky’s barely sentient wife, and it feels like the core writing staff was replaced with generic sitcom staff.

On the other hand the Beavis & Butthead relaunch was hilarious and Silicon Valley was inconsistent but pulled it together in the later seasons. But both those shows weren’t political like King of the Hill could be, so it’s gonna be interesting how it turns out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Dale's definitely....special.... with his intelligence and follows some strange leads but I don't see him having the hateful bigotry and spiteful desire for destruction that is the animating core of poo poo like Q to engage with it beyond a surface level. Go far enough down that rabbit hole and you're calling for violence and destruction because the other side is Satan-worshipping pedophile vampire cannibals and everybody around you is just constantly angry, shouting hatred and cheering leading for violence.

I just don't see him being like that. New series might take him in a new direction, so who knows, but original Dale I just don't see it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm hopeful Mike Judge learned a thing or two about putting his dumb takes on screen after The Goode Family was a complete dumpster fire.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was created explicitly so that land would have a vote. The senate has always been antidemocratic. It doesn't matter that they codified it in later ways with the filibuster and such. The senate, from the onset, has been to ensure that the right people always had control of the government.

That's not what the argument was in 1787, though. Remember, the states are coming from the Articles of Confederation, where the states acted more or less as sovereign entities that were loosely banded together. The Confederation Congress was so weak that it could only request money and troops from the states, with no real ability to govern the entire country. So when the states banded together to try and form a new government, the argument before the delegates wasn't "how much vote should land have," it was "Should I, a representative from Delaware, hand over my state's sovereignty to this new Federal entity, and risk it being dominated by the interests of Pennsylvania and Virginia?" Thus, creating a body that explicitly represented the interests of the states on an equal level (Because remember, the original Senators were appointed by each of the states, not elected by the wider population) was a necessary compromise to get the small states to sign over their sovereignty, with the House of Representatives being the other side of the compromise to get the larger states to sign on.

With all that said: One of the things that makes people like Manchin arguing about "The intent of the framers" so frustrating is that the framers themselves didn't plan half this poo poo out! The Senate was a compromise that has little-to-no point in today's United States, where an overwhelming number of states never had sovereignty to give up. The House? A full third of Representatives in the first Congress were elected as part of At-Large tickets, meaning they were voted on as part of statewide ballots instead of one-per-district, try gerrymandering that. The Bill of Rights didn't apply to the states at first, only the federal government, so states could do whatever the hell they wanted to censor speech or take away your guns until the 14th Amendment was passed in 1868, and even then it took until the 20th century for the Supreme Court to actually start applying most of the Bill of Rights to the states.

The people who wrote the Constitution disagreed on almost everything, and it's honestly astounding that they wrote a document that has held up as well as it has. But it is a flawed document, and everyone single person who signed it that day would have said as much. But even then, I'd argue the founders aren't the ones to blame for everything that's come after (Well, with one very large and glaring exception, and I'm sure you can guess which one I'm thinking of) —the people to blame are the individuals over the centuries who have constantly and consistently abuse the letter of the law and customs to achieve their own ends, without concern for the people they're ostensibly representing or the health of the country as a whole.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm hopeful Mike Judge learned a thing or two about putting his dumb takes on screen after The Goode Family was a complete dumpster fire.

I think based on his comments about how Hank would never vote for Trump, it’s probably a good indication.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

the framers themselves didn't plan half this poo poo out!
One of the things the last 5 years has screamed loudly into the ears of anyone listening is just how half-baked the government that booted up in 1789 was, and how it survived fairly well for at least 200 years based largely on reasonable people being reasonable and making handshake deals that plastered over all the gaps.

Edit: To clarify, the plaster was very often the literal or metaphorical blood of POC, workers, etc. So often morally dubious, but it covered up the shortcomings of the actual government structure.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 20, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
as long as $$$ is the name of the game for the people in charge then you can pretty much dream up any government you want and it'll still find a way to suck

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Things are looking bad for Tonga

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/300500479/in-pictures-tonga-covered-in-ash-devastated-by-natural-disaster

There's serious concerns about water - a lot of supply has been contaminated. Two RNZN ships are on their way up now, and our Hercs are in the air with supplies which is likely to be a recurring theme.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

You have faith in your regional governor?

I think a system of Moffs is exactly what this country needs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Things are looking bad for Tonga

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/300500479/in-pictures-tonga-covered-in-ash-devastated-by-natural-disaster

There's serious concerns about water - a lot of supply has been contaminated. Two RNZN ships are on their way up now, and our Hercs are in the air with supplies which is likely to be a recurring theme.

That doesn’t even factor in the Covid risk, as Tonga‘s been able to mostly avoid it, by closing borders, but obviously in order for disaster relief to be properly done that’s not gonna be able to be maintained as well as before.