Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just completed a Watcher Asc 20 run:

Turns out getting a Shovel at the very beginning can be pretty useful :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I did it.

I have every single achievement, and it only took me... 750 hours.

Minimalist wasn't too bad. First attempt was 1 card off, second attempt died, third attempt 10 cards off, got it on the 4th attempt. My deck was Thunderclap, Flame Barrier, Shrug it Off, double Body Slam, all upgraded.

Almost had to end the run, due to Writhing Mass spamming the curse move. I've never seen it so many times, but I managed to dodge it, though I took a bunch of extra damage

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

A Moose posted:

I did it.

I have every single achievement, and it only took me... 750 hours.

Minimalist wasn't too bad. First attempt was 1 card off, second attempt died, third attempt 10 cards off, got it on the 4th attempt. My deck was Thunderclap, Flame Barrier, Shrug it Off, double Body Slam, all upgraded.

Almost had to end the run, due to Writhing Mass spamming the curse move. I've never seen it so many times, but I managed to dodge it, though I took a bunch of extra damage

It is the best and most fun game achievement i've ever gotten. I wish they would design a new official character with a new deck and new set of achievements.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

headcase posted:

It is the best and most fun game achievement i've ever gotten. I wish they would design a new official character with a new deck and new set of achievements.

Have you looked into any of the modded characters? That's what I'm going to do next.

I heard Downfall is pretty good, but I tried it and got to a place where the game just kept crashing so I gave up on it. All the other character mods are "just like my animes!" poo poo or "look how super smart I am" ultra-complicated poo poo.

What are some good character mods that aren't immediately OP as hell or have 500 mechanics?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
The "Hubris" mod is pretty good. IMO Replay The Spire adds too many mechanics at once and it gets a bit confusing.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

A Moose posted:

Have you looked into any of the modded characters? That's what I'm going to do next.

I heard Downfall is pretty good, but I tried it and got to a place where the game just kept crashing so I gave up on it. All the other character mods are "just like my animes!" poo poo or "look how super smart I am" ultra-complicated poo poo.

What are some good character mods that aren't immediately OP as hell or have 500 mechanics?

Hmmm are you playing it with other mods? I think it needs mod the spire at the least but i cant remember. Never had any crashes with it, including with the reliquary mod

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Seems like there's a lot of room for expansion in this game. Is that something that's being worked on by the devs?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

camoseven posted:

Seems like there's a lot of room for expansion in this game. Is that something that's being worked on by the devs?

Probably not? It came out 3 years ago after a yearish in EA and they did two years of free post-launch support including adding a new character. I imagine they're probably working on their next game at this point, especially since they haven't had any updates in about a year.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thinking about minimalist, I wonder if it’s possible to beat sts with no cards in your deck. I think you’d need nilry’s codex probably. Could get an extra one from toolbox. I don’t know if there are enough card removes though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

camoseven posted:

Downfall is essentially an expansion.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Thinking about minimalist, I wonder if it’s possible to beat sts with no cards in your deck. I think you’d need nilry’s codex probably. Could get an extra one from toolbox. I don’t know if there are enough card removes though.

That might be possible to do in a custom game, I'm not sure if you can start with multiple relics though. You'd have to do the pandora glitch and start with Nilry's Codex

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cheeseboy58 posted:

Hmmm are you playing it with other mods? I think it needs mod the spire at the least but i cant remember. Never had any crashes with it, including with the reliquary mod

same, never had it crash and the launcher seems to keep it patched with the requisite libraries as required

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Ascenders bane will never abandon you. It is your closest friend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Moose posted:

Hermit is pretty good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Moose posted:

The Cursed is a fun playthrough. A little on the strong side but not immediately OP.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same, never had it crash and the launcher seems to keep it patched with the requisite libraries as required

My problem was that in 2 separate runs with the Guardian, the game would just crash on the act 2 boss. I tried switching game versions and unsubscribing from the mod but nothing worked. That was a while ago so I might go back and try it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Hermit is pretty good.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Cursed is a fun playthrough. A little on the strong side but not immediately OP.

I like these two, and also The Blackbeard. It's like an alternate take on Defect, equipping Weapons in Orb Slots instead of Orbs. They add a little extra damage, and have a limited use. Once they hit 0 Duability, they're automatically unequipped. Also, it supports the best mod, Googly Eyes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A Moose posted:

My problem was that in 2 separate runs with the Guardian, the game would just crash on the act 2 boss. I tried switching game versions and unsubscribing from the mod but nothing worked. That was a while ago so I might go back and try it

yeah give it a pop. there was apparently something with Poly Beam a while back going by google, which i think is a guardian card, as well as some errors introduced by a game update for which the mod didn't get updated for for a while.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Eeyo posted:

I'm pretty sure Forgotten Arbiter has done that a few times. He's a speedrunner and shows off a lot of glitches on YouTube. I don't think he ever did it in Act 4 though. I think that would be impossible.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ok, I went back and tried downfall. I unsubscribed and re-subscribed in the workshop, I don't know if that did anything but when I launched the game, i still had a run in progress, so I just abandoned it and started again.

Downfall is good, and it apparently works now! I'm fairly sure some of the mechanics are a little different than I remember and everything looks better. I had already played the slime boss and a little Guardian and Snecko, so I tried all the others. I went through and unlocked all the characters, all of them feel pretty good, but maybe that's just because I'm on ascension 0. They all seem to have pretty coherent themes, like Bronze Automaton has a whole self-status theme but it seemed like a trap early on so I didn't touch it, but by the end of the run I saw some pretty good stuff so next run I might try it. Instead I went all in on the encode and function cards, because making super powerful 1-energy cards is pretty good, turns out. I liked the Champ's stance dance theme, at first I underestimated how many enter stance cards I would need per Finisher/card that requires a stance but I picked up a bunch more and it clicked.

Hexaghost seemed super powerful, and the only reason I ever came close to dying was that every card looked super good so I had a large deck. I saw 4/6 Seals, and they mostly did super useful stuff. I was healing, gaining extra souls, and getting extra rewards and upgrading something every fight by halfway through act 2. They paired well with Afterlife cards so you could spend energy on seals and still do things. Living Bomb making soulburn stacks do AoE was crazy, and even though I was really low on attacks to trigger my ghostflames, I had enough skills to force it anyway.

I don't know if I like the guardian though, the gem thing seems kind of bad, considering you need to spend card rewards on bad cards, and then prioritize fires to make them not a liability. I also didn't see much interaction with gems, outside of "deals 2 more damage for each gem" or "this triggers each gem 2(3) times" for most cards its just "here's a slot to put a few block or whatever in". Maybe there's some unlockable cards that do more with gems though. I mostly went with a build based around "how many turns can I spend in Defensive mode" to take advantage of the tons of bonus block and thorns I got from powers, and a couple Body Slams.

Gremlins seem hard, they were the only run where I actually died, though part of that was that I got faked out by the Watcher using Blasphemy, so I though "oh, I guess I just have to survive this turn and it kills them" and that did not happen. Seems like cards that let you switch gremlins are super necessary once you start building around a certain theme. My first run I got a Whiz and just started building around Wiz stacks, which seemed like the most developed synergy. I had a card that gave shivs equal to the amount of wiz stacks, a block card that scaled on Wiz, a power that gave Wiz every turn, and some cards that gave wards. Seems like that kind of build has something for every gremlin to do. You got shivs for fat/sneaky gremlins, wards and other skills for the wizard/shield gremlins to use, switch to angry gremlin to get stacks of strength to power up your shivs/Bang etc. Seems like upgrading the switch card to Retain is a priority upgrade.

I can't wait to unlock all the cards for all the characters and start climbing ascensions!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Glad you're having a good time with downfall!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

camoseven posted:

They’ve announced that at this point (since any updates would require so much localization work across multiple platforms) they now consider the game “content complete” and it won’t see any new additions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Moose posted:

I don't know if I like the guardian though, the gem thing seems kind of bad, considering you need to spend card rewards on bad cards, and then prioritize fires to make them not a liability. I also didn't see much interaction with gems, outside of "deals 2 more damage for each gem" or "this triggers each gem 2(3) times" for most cards its just "here's a slot to put a few block or whatever in". Maybe there's some unlockable cards that do more with gems though. I mostly went with a build based around "how many turns can I spend in Defensive mode" to take advantage of the tons of bonus block and thorns I got from powers, and a couple Body Slams.

Guardian is by far my favourite Downfall character, and gems are my favourite strategy. Socketing them is a free action so you can do it as many times as you like at one fire plus still rest or upgrade after. The trick with them is to never take a gem you can't socket; then you're only temporarily bloating your deck in exchange for what usually works out as equivalent to an upgrade.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Astrolabe has a plan

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I didn't know you could get colorless cards from Astrolabe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KonvexKonkav posted:

I didn't know you could get colorless cards from Astrolabe.

Transform effects will follow the original card color. So class cards into class cards, colorless into colorless, curses into other curses etc.

I'm assuming from the screenshot they got bites or something and transformed 2 of them.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yep, you can see the bottom of my other bites at the top of the screen, was hoping for Apotheosis or similar but Bomb was fine too.

Ended up with double Wraith Form, double Nightmare, double Catalyst for an easy win! Even got Pellets in the A4 store. By that point I was down to 3 attacks in 34 cards but still worked alright.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Got my first heart win! Pretty lovely Defect deck with all sorts of random garbage. All for One with a few Turbos and Go For the Eyes carried me. I got down to 2 HP against the heart near the end and winning was so incredibly satisfying. I'm only on A1 but it still feels great!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Harriet Carker posted:

Got my first heart win! Pretty lovely Defect deck with all sorts of random garbage. All for One with a few Turbos and Go For the Eyes carried me. I got down to 2 HP against the heart near the end and winning was so incredibly satisfying. I'm only on A1 but it still feels great!

Heart kills are a big deal! Congrats! The Defect has some great beta art, good choice for a heart kill

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Defect was my first 2 Heart kills also. It's just so easy to hit end turn and win with orbs.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Looking back over the run, the true star was Incense Burner. Against the Shield/Spear and the Heat, it absolutely saved my bacon four times and I would 100% have died without it. Runner up goes to Bronze Scales and an early Calipers which allowed me to go all-in on block and frost.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

(Warning- venting ahead)

I have 95 hours of playtime into this game and 90 runs in and I am 10-80. I guess I probably need to just accept this isn’t the game for me and hang it up because despite having read through most of this thread over the last year or two and seen it posted that 99%+ of seeds are winnable and everything below like A10 should be a cakewalk, I’m clearly a moron and can’t get past A3 with any character (sitting at A3 Ironclad, A2 Silent, A3 Defect, A1 Watcher).

I sat down this morning to play a A1 Watcher seed in hopes of sharing it with the thread and getting feedback and got killed on floor loving 7 by the Sentries and I just don’t even know anymore. This game makes me feel so loving stupid but I don’t think watching hours of YouTube videos is going to fix whatever fundamental misunderstanding I have (and it’s clearly not just this seed or this character, I suck across all of them. IC 4-30, Silent 1-20, Defect 3-16, Watcher 2-14).

Anyway, if you want to show me how dumb I am, here it is.

Watcher A1 Seed: 491089F7ESWJL

Took +7 HP from Neow (passed up choose a card/lose all gold for a rare colorless card/boss relic swap)

Took the far left path.

Floor 1- lost 7 HP trying to be too cute with the Cultist, should have taken 1 damage and ended the fight on like turn 3 instead). Took Pressure Points (passed Bowling Bash and Empty Mind)

Floor 2- Treasure, took Regal Pillow

Floor 3- Jaw Worm, took 1 damage. Chose Tranquility (passed Windmill Strike and Reach Heaven)

Floor 4- Merchant. Removed a Defend and purchased Prostrate. Not enough gold for Apotheosis or I would have bought it.

Floor 5- Another Merchant. Too poor to buy anything.

Floor 6- Fire. Upgraded Eruption.

Floor 7- Elite Sentries. Could only kill one of the three before death.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I have 300 hours in this game and only 1 character over A10. 99% of seeds are winnable, but even the top streamers only have a 70-80% winrate except for the Watcher. I'm not sure what my winrate is but I know its abysmal.

That said, if you're not having fun then it's probably not the game for you.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

You need to take more damage cards. You should have taken bowling bash and then probably reach heaven. I didn’t actually load the seed to see the paths but you probably don’t want to hit two merchants or question marks before taking on a low-floor fire elite.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, also Pressure Points is hilariously bad vs most of the Act 1 Elites but especially Sentries. I wouldn't take an Elite fight if it was the only damage card I'd added. Especially since it doesn't combo with Wrath at all.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Walla posted:

I have 300 hours in this game and only 1 character over A10. 99% of seeds are winnable, but even the top streamers only have a 70-80% winrate except for the Watcher. I'm not sure what my winrate is but I know its abysmal.

That said, if you're not having fun then it's probably not the game for you.

Interesting, maybe I’ve completely misinterpreted that then, thanks.

AdmiralViscen posted:

You need to take more damage cards. You should have taken bowling bash and then probably reach heaven. I didn’t actually load the seed to see the paths but you probably don’t want to hit two merchants or question marks before taking on a low-floor fire elite.

I agree I probably should have taken Bowling Bash, was recalling a successful run previously where I wound up with two early Pressure Points and it carried me quite a ways, but perhaps I just got lucky that time.

The back-to-back merchants wasn’t planned, but after I saw the first one under the question mark I should have pulled the map up and realized I needed to be careful. I only had 134 gold to play with though.

Zore posted:

Yeah, also Pressure Points is hilariously bad vs most of the Act 1 Elites but especially Sentries. I wouldn't take an Elite fight if it was the only damage card I'd added. Especially since it doesn't combo with Wrath at all.

I don’t recall the rest of the map but I was under the impression I should try to knock out the +elite in Act 1 if at all possible. Maybe this is part of the problem. I’ve had really bad luck trying this in later Acts (Book of Stabbing always seems to be the Act 2 +elite and wrecks me).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Referee posted:

I agree I probably should have taken Bowling Bash, was recalling a successful run previously where I wound up with two early Pressure Points and it carried me quite a ways, but perhaps I just got lucky that time.

The back-to-back merchants wasn’t planned, but after I saw the first one under the question mark I should have pulled the map up and realized I needed to be careful. I only had 134 gold to play with though.

I don’t recall the rest of the map but I was under the impression I should try to knock out the +elite in Act 1 if at all possible. Maybe this is part of the problem. I’ve had really bad luck trying this in later Acts (Book of Stabbing always seems to be the Act 2 +elite and wrecks me).

One thing I would say as you're learning the game, don't worry about getting all the keys and fighting the heart each time and path based on how your deck is going. If you don't feel confident for an elite, skip the elite. I would leave burning elites alone unless you know your deck is busted and/or you have a few ascensions under your belt.

Though, in a similar vein, any tips for breaking through an A18+ wall? I'm currently at A18, A19, A17, A19 for all characters and have hit a wall. I guess I should start posting some runs but at this point, I think I've internalized most of the conventional wisdom and am wondering if I'm just making bad turn-by-turn decisions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Referee posted:

(Warning- venting ahead)

I have 95 hours of playtime into this game and 90 runs in and I am 10-80. I guess I probably need to just accept this isn’t the game for me and hang it up because despite having read through most of this thread over the last year or two and seen it posted that 99%+ of seeds are winnable and everything below like A10 should be a cakewalk, I’m clearly a moron and can’t get past A3 with any character (sitting at A3 Ironclad, A2 Silent, A3 Defect, A1 Watcher).

I sat down this morning to play a A1 Watcher seed in hopes of sharing it with the thread and getting feedback and got killed on floor loving 7 by the Sentries and I just don’t even know anymore. This game makes me feel so loving stupid but I don’t think watching hours of YouTube videos is going to fix whatever fundamental misunderstanding I have (and it’s clearly not just this seed or this character, I suck across all of them. IC 4-30, Silent 1-20, Defect 3-16, Watcher 2-14).

Took +7 HP from Neow (passed up choose a card/lose all gold for a rare colorless card/boss relic swap)

Took the far left path.

Floor 1- lost 7 HP trying to be too cute with the Cultist, should have taken 1 damage and ended the fight on like turn 3 instead). Took Pressure Points (passed Bowling Bash and Empty Mind)

Floor 3- Jaw Worm, took 1 damage. Chose Tranquility (passed Windmill Strike and Reach Heaven)

Floor 4- Merchant. Removed a Defend and purchased Prostrate. Not enough gold for Apotheosis or I would have bought it.

1. Probably not the best Neow blessing choice. Between this and your comment on the cultist fight I think you might be too focused on small HP advantages. That's commendable in its own way, attrition is a problem and it's good that you're on top of it, but the start of the run is the time to sacrifice HP for advantages to help your deck snowball faster.

Remember that you can look at the map before you make your blessing choice. In this circumstance, I would have gone for the rare card and gone for this route. Don't think of giving up your starting gold as a penalty, think of it as getting a free shop with a big discount so that you don't have to worry about pathing for one.

2. I'm not sure that I'm actually getting all the same draws as you but I had a guaranteed 0 damage fight against the cultist, drawing Vigilance/Eruption/Defend/Defend/Defend. Having 0 strikes T1 meant that I knew there would be 4 strikes T2, so T1 Eruption -> Miracle + Strike x4 is a clean kill. Again, 7 damage on one of the first floors isn't something you need to sweat super badly but as a general note you do need to keep an eye out for this kind of opening to go into wrath.

3. As mentioned, Bowling Bash is almost certainly a better option here than Pressure Points. PP is fine if you're hard up for attack damage but Bowling Bash is a great find.

4. Again, Reach Heaven over Tranquility here. Reach Heaven is not great but it's a lot of damage, and it's particularly good in fights that drag on which Act 1 elites are somewhat prone to.

5. I think I'm seeing the same shop rolls as you as I see Prostrate and Apotheosis. This is a fairly bad shop, although you could have gone for Crush Joints (or Rushdown, if you were feeling gutsy.) But you had another shop coming up right afterwards, so there was no reason to spend money here--the next shop would have a removal anyhow and even on sale Prostrate is worth skipping to see what the next shop has. If anything, you might have contemplated a potion here as there are some good ones available, but this probably wouldn't have changed much without better attacks in the deck--if I rolled into this shop with what you had, I would hold onto my money and hope that the next shop had something to bail me out (and if the seed RNG holds up, it looks like there's a discount Sands of Time available, which just might have worked.)

Weirdly I'm getting different card/relic draws but I'm getting the same Neow blessings, ? rooms, and possibly shops? So some of this advice may not apply, but the big ones are just slam pick big attack cards in Act 1 and try to avoid spending gold on marginal stuff when there's a shop coming up, which are just good general guidelines.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 23, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Referee posted:

(Warning- venting ahead)

Took the far left path.

Watching youtube videos will make you a lot better guaranteed if you're interested in it. The watcher specifically has a very meta progression to her runs that takes her from confusing and hard to easy mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Referee posted:

It’s good to take the burning elite in act 1, but not necessarily if its floor 7. And if it is floor 7 you absolutely want to take all of your easy pool fights and avoid question marks so you make sure you get the damage output you need to win. You can take finicky stuff like prostrate later on. The first half of act 1 you need raw damage output

Edit - the first three combats in act 1 (and first two in acts 2 and 3) are against a separate pool of easier enemies. You want to make sure you get all of these before an elite so you can stock up on cards/potions/money and come at the first elite of the act in as strong a position as possible. With the above screen shot i would not have gone after the burning elite in act 1, that’s a brutal path

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 23, 2022