Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regy Rusty posted:

Still mad about the permanent Bloodsworn in Shadowbringers come ON Yoshi-P

Speaking of Shadowbringers things that make us irrationally angry, the Sightseeing Log achievement is marked as "(Achievement) I".

There is no "(Achievement) II". :argh:

Harrow posted:

I never unlocked the second or third areas of Zadnor before EW released but now it's clear that the third area is The Place To Be for leveling after 71. What's the best way to get enough mettle to unlock the third area these days, with most people doing anything Bozja/Zadnor-related just farming fates? Should I just be doing whatever fates I can in the first Zadnor area and hope there are at least a couple players to do them with?

I just got into Zadnor for the first time yesterday and hoo boy is it dead in Zone 1.

Personally, I just did a few skirmishes to get to Rank 18 with the quests and it got me to Zone 2. So that part seems to go quickly, at least. I need to Rank Up four more times to get to Zone 3, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

Played though 5.1 yesterday Finally, here’s some answer as to the difference between the Source folks and those of the Shards, our souls are denser, with the WoL densest still, probably thanks to Arbert. What effect that density has, we’ll see.

Alisaie’s artistic skills are exactly as expected and good mirror of Alphinaud’s. The porxie’s creation is very reminiscent of what we heard of the ancient’s creation magic in Amaurot, I wonder if that will come back later. The perspective of healing tempering sure is interesting though. The patients in the Inn at Journey’s End don’t act like the usual tempered thralls we’ve seen, but they do act like Ga Bu.

This patch felt light in content, mostly filling up the rushed development of Eulmore in a similar fashion the various Ishgard patches did, until the very end. I wish someone would remember Chai-Nuzz threw someone overboard Eulmore, including the guy that got thrown off, instead of pretending he was “oblivious” to what was going on.

The cutscene dump at the end was the oppositive of uneventful though. The previous side character duties have had us playing pared-down versions of the MC’s jobs, but Estinien? I got jealous of Estinien’s kit. The buttons mostly felt very satisfying to press, and much flashier than my 72 DRG, and shifting from an AOE to a ST kit midway helped him feel like more competent, somehow.

Zenos’s goals are confirmed from the 5.0 finale: he seems happy to let the empire rot and fracture into internecine conflicts while he sets his aims on Zodiark (to use him in the same way he did with Seiryuu I guess). We finally meet the Asahi-looking guy from the EW trailer (who I assume is a minor Ascian with a divergent agenda wearing his body) too.

And finally, the Arbert reveal, which I have no words or hypothesis for

It certainly made me want to rush through the story to see what’s next, but I want to finish playing through Coils, Omega and both of StB’s trial series before moving on to Endwalker (btw, I got spoiled very early in its release that (EW spoilers) there’s a Hydaelyn trial in there, and I’m now wondering if that’s because of whatever Zenos will do with Zodiarc, or as a sacrifice to counter him. Don't confirm or infirm this, please, just laugh at my hapless speculation)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

escape mechanism posted:

(to use him in the same way he did with Seiryuu I guess)

Small correction: Zenos took over Shinyu, not Seiryu. Seiryu is the snake auspice guy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/lovelltchl/status/1484136453726965764?s=21

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KihraOfTemerity/status/1484166023167287300

i'm going to become the joker

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Time to pick up an axe, friend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lmao

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Make sure you go to Gridania to pick up your glam then.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Time to pick up an axe, friend.

Never.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Put a gun in your sword, join the explosion squad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The more times I do the Dead Ends, the more I feel it moving up my list of favorite dungeons. I dunno if it's my #1 but it's probably at least top 3. I just love how it looks, the story of it, the music, it's just such a cool dungeon. I love whenever someone doing the MSQ for the first time is in our party and sees the end of the second part of the dungeon for the first time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Macaluso posted:

The more times I do the Dead Ends, the more I feel it moving up my list of favorite dungeons. I dunno if it's my #1 but it's probably at least top 3. I just love how it looks, the story of it, the music, it's just such a cool dungeon. I love whenever someone doing the MSQ for the first time is in our party and sees the end of the second part of the dungeon for the first time

I like it, too. I even have a 570 gearset that I throw on when it pops up so that I have my materia bonuses.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I've run it too many times for that minion only to roll single digits to like it. I was also playing gnb to farm the tank mount so I was mortal. Which was a problem given that there are some awful, awful healers who can barely heal let alone do the first or second bosses and I got all of them. :negative:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Macaluso posted:

It's fantastic. Out of the other current experts, I think it's also the one that really makes you sweat on mechanics, even now that most people are decked out in 580+ stuff. The second boss especially is tighter on movement than almost any other dungeon boss I can think of.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eimi posted:

I've run it too many times for that minion only to roll single digits to like it. I was also playing gnb to farm the tank mount so I was mortal. Which was a problem given that there are some awful, awful healers who can barely heal let alone do the first or second bosses and I got all of them. :negative:

Healers can also get spoiled by warriors who know how to use their buttons. Warriors never really need to be healed in dungeons.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

escape mechanism posted:

This patch felt light in content, mostly filling up the rushed development of Eulmore in a similar fashion the various Ishgard patches did, until the very end. I wish someone would remember Chai-Nuzz threw someone overboard Eulmore, including the guy that got thrown off, instead of pretending he was “oblivious” to what was going on.

Having recently replayed that bit of the story in 5.0, Chai-Nuzz fires the artist in a fit of pique but does not directly throw him off the balcony. The artist says he tries to find work, fails, and when hauled before Vauthry, it's Vauthry that pitches him over the edge. Now, there's some reckoning to be had with him being okay with things working like that, and I think that's addressed a little... but it's dealing with "I was fine with an evil system because it benefitted me" rather than "I was a right fucker".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Healers can also get spoiled by warriors who know how to use their buttons. Warriors never really need to be healed in dungeons.

Good tanks and halfway decent DPS in general largely keep healing requirements to a minimum. Hell, I had a 580 DRK tank a while back in an Expert party with a sub-2.5k DPS BLM, and he barely needed anything more than a Kerachole/Taurochole per pull.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

FeatherFloat posted:

Having recently replayed that bit of the story in 5.0, Chai-Nuzz fires the artist in a fit of pique but does not directly throw him off the balcony. The artist says he tries to find work, fails, and when hauled before Vauthry, it's Vauthry that pitches him over the edge. Now, there's some reckoning to be had with him being okay with things working like that, and I think that's addressed a little... but it's dealing with "I was fine with an evil system because it benefitted me" rather than "I was a right fucker".

That fits a lot better with the tone of his character arc than what I remembered. You learn of the fate of the artist before meeting all the people he names, so I seem to have mixed up who did what.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Macaluso posted:

The third segment makes me uncomfortable.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Starting up DRK after I finished WAR and it's really weird how much more fragile it seems even with more mitigation tools.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HackensackBackpack posted:

The first two bother me more. That place is a bummer and I'm kind of happy I've had a streak of not getting it in EXDR. It's a a great dungeon, I just would rather something more up-beat.
With the third part, I can turn on that part of my brain that doesn't take things seriously - the first two just feel so much more bleak then a race that couldn't find some hobbies so they made soul sucking butterflies.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Oxyclean posted:

The first two bother me more. That place is a bummer and I'm kind of happy I've had a streak of not getting it in EXDR. It's a a great dungeon, I just would rather something more up-beat.
With the third part, I can turn on that part of my brain that doesn't take things seriously - the first two just feel so much more bleak then a race that couldn't find some hobbies so they made soul sucking butterflies.

I get that. Something about just how happy everyone is in the last one bothers me in a way I can't quite explain. We're living through a plague right now, though thankfully not one that turns people into puddles of goo, and the second one does seem like something that could conceivably happen in real life and possibly the near future, but I just find the excitement and relief of finally getting to die discomforting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The first one makes me the most uncomfortable. It rules!

The only downside to that dungeon is that if you go back in explorer mode everything in the third section is already dead. What an absolutely bonkers insane decision, I want to take screenshots there!!!!

I just really love the story + music + Metion's voice acting + the enviornments. It all comes together in such an amazing package for me, I get so excited when I get it in my EX roulette. Smileton is a close second. I actually would like to see Stigma Dreamscape the least, even though I don't think it's a bad dungeon. But I (and I know this is going to be heresy to say) don't like the song THAT much to listen to it for the entire dungeon. The Smileton and Dead Ends music is some of my favorites this expansion. But anyway, the Dead Ends has the same kind of feeling that Amaurot does, where you're being told a sad story from a sad narrator and it lands so perfectly for me.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 20, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not sure what the spoiler policy is a month into the expansion, just gonna remind folks this is the general thread.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah but the discussion in the spoiler thread is often so broke brained that i frequently regret clicking it

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Macaluso posted:

The first one makes me the most uncomfortable. It rules!

The only downside to that dungeon is that if you go back in explorer mode everything in the third section is already dead. What an absolutely bonkers insane decision, I want to take screenshots there!!!!

I just really love the story + music + Metion's voice acting + the enviornments. It all comes together in such an amazing package for me, I get so excited when I get it in my EX roulette. Smileton is a close second. I actually would like to see Stigma Dreamscape the least, even though I don't think it's a bad dungeon. But I (and I know this is going to be heresy to say) don't like the song THAT much to listen to it for the entire dungeon. The Smileton and Dead Ends music is some of my favorites this expansion. But anyway, the Dead Ends has the same kind of feeling that Amaurot does, where you're being told a sad story from a sad narrator and it lands so perfectly for me.

Might want to tag all of this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
P4S is funny because, in phase one at least, the entire thing is just normal mode but it all happens so fast you die anyways

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

Might want to tag all of this.

Good point, I didn't think about that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah but the discussion in the spoiler thread is often so broke brained that i frequently regret clicking it

Personally I love having the same discussion over and over because the primary argument is 'if you think this way you clearly have not been paying attention to the text'.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I get that. Something about just how happy everyone is in the last one bothers me in a way I can't quite explain. We're living through a plague right now, though thankfully not one that turns people into puddles of goo, and the second one does seem like something that could conceivably happen in real life and possibly the near future, but I just find the excitement and relief of finally getting to die discomforting.

I think it's because it answers the question:

"If all who are satisfied choose to die, shall all we die in satisfaction?"

with a: Yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Personally I love having the same discussion over and over because the primary argument is 'if you think this way you clearly have not been paying attention to the text'.

Excuse me but if you think that way then I'm afraid it is you who have not been paying attention to the text :chord:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ive been thinking about the line "But when one asked, 'What is the point?' ...there were none left to answer." a lot recently

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

ive been thinking about the line "But when one asked, 'What is the point?' ...there were none left to answer." a lot recently

As hopeful as the message of the game is, the outcome presented by that question remains a terrifyingly plausible one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vermain posted:

It's fantastic. Out of the other current experts, I think it's also the one that really makes you sweat on mechanics, even now that most people are decked out in 580+ stuff. The second boss especially is tighter on movement than almost any other dungeon boss I can think of.

That boss is way easier if you just spread out at 90 degrees, but then melee need their positionals...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Just finished Final Fantasy XIV: Clownwalker. Why does all of this weird poo poo always happen in Gridania?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the twelveswood has a bunch of holes to the void in it for not fully explained reasons, it's a big part of early gridania story before the game moves past eorzea proper in its focus.

a possible explanation is the weapons mhach used against amdapor weakened the barrier between the worlds, but again, all the war of the magi plots are kind of 'done'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Because something needs to happen in Gridania.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FF14 is a good game

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

FF14 is a good game

for a clown to play, to the limited time seasonal event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

90 exdr question: Is Stigma Dreamscape just playing eScape? For some reason I had thought it was a different mix.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Just finished Final Fantasy XIV: Clownwalker. Why does all of this weird poo poo always happen in Gridania?

Why are clowns always evil? Never trust a clown!