Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Maybe I’m crazy but I think the new Amazon LotR series could stand to reduce the number of slowmo zoom in shots of hobbits crying or hugging each other by 10% from the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew Jay would like Titane (pronounced Tit-AHN), and it's not a bad movie, but there's a lot of work the viewer must do to enjoy it.

This type of movie calls for some anchor to reality to wrap the weird stuff around, and Titane had very little in that aspect. Just non-stop absurdity and half-hinted themes with barely anything in the movie to point you in some direction, so you're left actively thinking about the movie for a full hour after you watch it trying to derive some sort of meaning beyond a word cloud of 'identity, trauma, delusion, intimacy, family'.

However, the fact that it kept me thinking about it rather than dismissing it out of hand as artsy nonsense must mean there is some underlying artistry I can't quite describe with words. Maybe the concept of loving a car is what makes it stand out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i completely loving forgot that Old existed and i saw it in the theater lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I can't believe they glossed over the scooter chase in Boba, it really was so strange.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I finished Archive 81 last night, thought it was pretty good? There are a bunch of questions left at the end though but other than where'd Samuel go at the end? I'm not sure there are intended to be answers or if it was just being spooky (e.g. when Dan is looking at the video of Melody in the market and the lady walks up to the camera and says to get out or whatever, how does that work? Is she also in the Otherworld or is that just spooky demon power in the tape? Did Dan's house burn down because there was another attempted summoning there that night, or did his Dad burn it down because he heard him play the piano tune? Oh maybe it was his sister who played the tune when he went to walk the dog and did a summoning... Now I remember the CEO said it was burned down by anti-demon people but... I dunno about that. Etc etc. It was enjoyable in any case and seemed well put together; honestly with 'spooky' stuff like this I think the most important thing is pacing, to keep things moving at the speed where you get what's going on but don't have too much time to think holes in it. The actress who played Jess was really good, she was also in Midnight Mass I think?

I've never seen Saw but all the streaming James Wan-associated stuff has been enjoyable, I think the most important reason being the pacing is just right where you get what is happening but can't spend too much time thinking holes in stuff.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 20, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mike's favorite Wes Anderson movie is Darjeeling Limited :ughh:

The Independence Day 2 of Wes Anderson movies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I felt embarassed in theater watching that film, like I let someone trick me into listening to their awful self insert novel.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I often get Darjeeling Limited mixed up with Southland Tales, I've seen neither but it's probably because both are ensembles that are misfires by the directors (probably the latter more so than the former)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I often get Darjeeling Limited mixed up with Southland Tales,

That is hilarious

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man that Empty Man movie looks dope as gently caress im gonna watch it right now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I often get Darjeeling Limited mixed up with Southland Tales, I've seen neither but it's probably because both are ensembles that are misfires by the directors (probably the latter more so than the former)

This is impressive.

Southland Tales is a messy film and very stupid, while Darjeeling Limited is a very clear story that makes me feel bad for participating in the act of watching it by way of implied association.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked Rushmore (though I think it's appeal is to young aspirational men and burned out older men and maybe people wrestling with both of those things... i.e. I don't know many women who like it) and Bottle Rocket and Fantastic Mr. Fox but I haven't seen Wes Anderson's last few movies. I will probably watch the Budapest Hotel eventually I just have him in the Tim Burton okay-dude-I-get-it bucket.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grand Budapest is maybe his best ever. I was fairly fed up with his stuff after Moonrise Kingdom but Grand Budapest is really excellent.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel bad for wes when he gets mentioned in the same breath as tim burton. Yeah he has a very strong and sometimes arguably approaching obnoxious style, but the films are so much better.

French dispatch, however, I can't go to bat for. The rare wes misfire, made me want to fold but in a sad way

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven’t seen it myself but moonrise kingdom might be my dad’s most favoritist movie of his

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn’t like Isle of Dogs either, thought that was super weak. Haven’t seen French Dispatch yet.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Grand Budapest is definitely my favourite

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel bad for wes when he gets mentioned in the same breath as tim burton. Yeah he has a very strong and sometimes arguably approaching obnoxious style, but the films are so much better.

I think Burton just got stale. His earlier movies hold up

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure tim burton just stopped caring and hell, same.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Didn’t like Isle of Dogs either, thought that was super weak.

Yeah, that and Darjeeling Limited are about neck-and-neck for his weakest in my mind, but Isle of Dogs squandered more opportunity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
moonrise kingdom is.... fine... the stuff with the adults is way better than the stuff with the kids tho

grand budapest does own tho... isle of dogs was so bad... mr fox owns...

i used to really love the dudes stuf but life aquatic was the last one where i felt like way into his shtick

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Wes Anderson's oeuvre makes a lot more sense if you imagine a kid in Houston who visits the periodicals section of the library every day and has all these elaborate day-dreams about what he's reading in back issues of The New Yorker and Boy's Life and such. Hell, even the narration in his movies sounds like someone reading an article out loud. In that sense, The French Dispatch may be the most Wes Anderson movie of all time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Didn’t like Isle of Dogs either, thought that was super weak. Haven’t seen French Dispatch yet.

Same, Fantastic Mr Fox was by far the superior animated Anderson film. Love that one. Michael Gambon just slays.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

reignofevil posted:

I'm pretty sure tim burton just stopped caring and hell, same.

I can kind of feel Tim Burton's frustration. Dude is nearly at John Waters-levels of camp, but so few people seem to recognize it and end up taking his aesthetic seriously.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is one of those people tim burton

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn’t see them but Big Eyes and Ms Peregrines School were supposedly decent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i knew this woman who had married a friend of mine and then later was my roommate in new orleans who swears she went to high school with wes anderson (this is definitely true) and that he had such a bad crush on her that he made the character that gwynny p plays in tenenbaums i guess thats supposed to be her (this is v debatablly true lmao)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah I hate that movie.

Love Budapest and Moonrise though.

edit, I am trying to think how much I like a Wes Anderson movie is inverse proportion to the amount of Owen Wilson in it?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 20, 2022

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

precision posted:

oh man that Empty Man movie looks dope as gently caress im gonna watch it right now

I watched it around Halloween and it did nothing for me. Felt very clichéd if anything. The next day I watched Saint Maud and was much more satisfied.

Titane loving rules

Cacator fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 20, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea there was a BBC version of this CBS "Ghosts" show that looks like loving garbage in all the commercials. The BBC version looks so much better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stephenthinkpad posted:

Oh yeah I hate that movie.

Love Budapest and Moonrise though.

edit, I am trying to think how much I like a Wes Anderson movie is inverse proportion to the amount of Owen Wilson in it?

imo his movie quality is proportinate to how much of the script owen wilson wrote

wilson wrote most of bottle rocket, rushmore and tenenbaums

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

precision posted:

i knew this woman who had married a friend of mine and then later was my roommate in new orleans who swears she went to high school with wes anderson (this is definitely true) and that he had such a bad crush on her that he made the character that gwynny p plays in tenenbaums i guess thats supposed to be her (this is v debatablly true lmao)

lmao what's she like irl?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
He's bad. Now, Paul W.S. Anderson on the other hand

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
French Dispatch is meh. I think he must work with a lot of production people to create those stagy symmetrical sets, he probably make French Dispatch to keep them employed. The beautiful sets were the few things I enjoyed the most in that movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like this lady should not have hosed a car

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

Are we talking about cameron diaz again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are we talking about cameron diaz again

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PostNouveau posted:

It was an in for a penny in for a pound kind of situation.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wes is a good film maker who creates art I cannot stand.

Edit: I also hate Wizard of Oz so I know my opinions are trash for most

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

poisonpill posted:

lmao what's she like irl?

unsound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mozi posted:

I finished Archive 81 last night, thought it was pretty good? There are a bunch of questions left at the end though but other than where'd Samuel go at the end? I'm not sure there are intended to be answers or if it was just being spooky (e.g. when Dan is looking at the video of Melody in the market and the lady walks up to the camera and says to get out or whatever, how does that work? Is she also in the Otherworld or is that just spooky demon power in the tape? Did Dan's house burn down because there was another attempted summoning there that night, or did his Dad burn it down because he heard him play the piano tune? Oh maybe it was his sister who played the tune when he went to walk the dog and did a summoning... Now I remember the CEO said it was burned down by anti-demon people but... I dunno about that. Etc etc. It was enjoyable in any case and seemed well put together; honestly with 'spooky' stuff like this I think the most important thing is pacing, to keep things moving at the speed where you get what's going on but don't have too much time to think holes in it. The actress who played Jess was really good, she was also in Midnight Mass I think?

I've never seen Saw but all the streaming James Wan-associated stuff has been enjoyable, I think the most important reason being the pacing is just right where you get what is happening but can't spend too much time thinking holes in stuff.

Agreed, on the spoiler stuff his dad took the tapes to a storage facility and that's where they wound up for the last 30 years right? the house went up in flames minutes after he found out the kids had watched the tapes, when did he take them to the storage facility? living dad much???

also the ending scenes with the blue CGI looked exactly like Doctor Who (2005) quality lol

Personally, I enjoyed it more than either Haunting series and almost as much as Midnight Mass, but it pulled its punches too much.

e: also the 2 lead actors are not great

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 20, 2022