Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I like pen and paper Pathfinder, but I found Kingmaker to be very bad in terms of translating those to game mechanics. Is WotR any better at it?

Wrath is the same but more. I highly recommend modding the Pathfinder games heavily. Auto buffing, getting rid of a bunch of tedium stuff like camping supplies, and unlimited bag space make the game actually ok to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Naramyth posted:

Wrath is the same but more. I highly recommend modding the Pathfinder games heavily. Auto buffing, getting rid of a bunch of tedium stuff like camping supplies, and unlimited bag space make the game actually ok to play

Sounds like a good idea. I play almost exclusively PC games but for some reason almost always forget that mods exist.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Sounds like a good idea. I play almost exclusively PC games but for some reason almost always forget that mods exist.

Modding Pathfinder is also pretty easy. The unity mod manager does a lot of the lift. Just drag and drop the .zips to the little box that says so. Toybox and some version of auto buffing bot get you 90% of the way there to making the game bearable.

I do probably have to take another run at Wrath. It just doesn’t hook me like Kingmaker did. The scale of the story is just so big and mythic path stuff just sets the power level of the game to a place I don’t love.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
For any of your couch coopers out there if you haven't tried "It Takes Two" you are missing out. Regardless of preferred genre.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if 2D is okay, Starsector. it's fleet combat with a player-controlled flagship and loadout customization is ludicrously deep, especially once you factor in all the various differences between building ships for player use vs. for the AI, and the economy side is just substantial enough to provide a robust context for the battles

Playing Terminator Resistance at the moment. I've heard about this game - it doesn't appear to be on any of the launcher based game stores yet.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chainchompz posted:

Playing Terminator Resistance at the moment. I've heard about this game - it doesn't appear to be on any of the launcher based game stores yet.

It isn't, you have to get it from their site.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It isn't, you have to get it from their site.

Oh, derp! That's why I wasn't finding it. Thanks! I'll probably wait until I finish Terminator Resistance or my ADD/FOMO kicks in.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Reposted from the January thread - I'm looking for some fun 2-player couch co-op games like It Takes Two - games that are fun (hopefully less depressing) and challenging but not punishing (like Cuphead). Also hoping for something similarly platform-y rather than puzzley.

Can play on XBOX Series/Switch, PS4, or PC - what you all got?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sarcastx posted:

Reposted from the January thread - I'm looking for some fun 2-player couch co-op games like It Takes Two - games that are fun (hopefully less depressing) and challenging but not punishing (like Cuphead). Also hoping for something similarly platform-y rather than puzzley.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is good

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Any recommendations for indie games that are on PS4/5, have lots of flashing lights and explosions so I feel good, but importantly not much challenge? I have trouble enjoying roguelikes, soulslikes, or any other type of game where dying is to be expected.

Basically I want hyperactive and relaxing action.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ahobday posted:

Any recommendations for indie games that are on PS4/5, have lots of flashing lights and explosions so I feel good, but importantly not much challenge? I have trouble enjoying roguelikes, soulslikes, or any other type of game where dying is to be expected.

Basically I want hyperactive and relaxing action.

Earth Defense Force isn't indie but is exactly this

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Asura's Wrath is another one, it's on PS Now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Asura's Wrath is loving amazing but I'm not sure it falls under "not much challenge" because the combat can be a bit wonky and bosses can be a challenge.
There might be an easy mode though, I don't remember.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I LOVE Mobius Front 88 and was looking at other Zachtronics games but it looks like they all require some sort of coding background and I've never written a line of code in my life. Where would be a good place to start?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spacechem or Opus Magnum. But don’t let the other games intimidate you, they are using the same problem solving skills.

E: joke answer is to get drunk with some friends and play NERTS

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 20, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was eyeing Spacechem, looks like a fun challenge. Should I know anything about coding in advance or will the game teach me?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not at all! The game introduces concepts in stages. Usually one really easy level to get a hang of it followed by a more challenging one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Perfect, I'm gonna snag that one. Thank you for your help!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kvlt! posted:

So you have a better idea here as someone who never wrote code, there's a big difference between writing what's called "pseudocode" and using an actual programming language. If you can understand writing a series of if/then statements and make a flowchart, congrats, you have the basics of pseudocode. Real programming languages basically are ways to take the conceptual constructs of pseudocode and turn them into something that a computer can understand by running real code through a compiler, but you don't have to know that. You likely know more about code than you think you do, but it just has never been put into a context for you to think of it as code. You've probably used it just to figure out what you should do on the next turn of a game depending on what the opponent does.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Kris xK posted:

I too would love an alternative to ... Starsector/Mount and Blade.

Thanks for all the recommendations peeps, but I'd already either played them or they didn't do it for me. But I did find this game Wartales which I'm enjoying, it's not amazing or very unique but it is a solid warband tactics game.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

goodnight mooned posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations peeps, but I'd already either played them or they didn't do it for me. But I did find this game Wartales which I'm enjoying, it's not amazing or very unique but it is a solid warband tactics game.

How does Wartales compare to Battle Brothers, especially in its early access state?

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Caufman posted:

How does Wartales compare to Battle Brothers, especially in its early access state?

I'm not that deep into Wartales yet but so far, I'd compare them by saying Wartales is the casual version of Battle Brothers. There's more to do on the overworld but the combat has less depth. Wartales has better graphics and quests, and is easier. As far as being early access, it's not buggy so no worries there, and supposedly there's quite a lot of content already in.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Dang, that sounds pretty good to me. I enjoyed Battle Brothers in the early game, but it seemed like the difficulty ramps up quickly, and you're expected to lose a lot of dudes, and I'm not a big fan of losing dudes or games that expect me to lose a lot of dudes.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Kvlt! posted:

Just in case you haven't bought it yet I've had a copy of SpaceChem + DLC chilling in my Steam inventory for years if you wanna save those $10!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sarcastx posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is one of the best couch co-op games of all time, and the higher difficulties are definitely challenging. On easy, you just walk up to things and press punch. On higher difficulties, your positioning, your ability to use special attacks without dying, and your general mastery of the moveset (knowing what has invincibility frames, vulnerable recovery frames, causes knockdowns, repositions enemies behind you, sets up boss enemies for larger combos, etc.) becomes ever more important. It's seriously a brilliantly designed game.

Honorable mention to Shovel Knight's "Shovel of Hope" campaign, which can be co-opped. If you have any nostalgia for NES platformers like Castlevania or Duck Tales, then it'll be right up your alley.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

I LOVE Mobius Front 88 and was looking at other Zachtronics games but it looks like they all require some sort of coding background and I've never written a line of code in my life. Where would be a good place to start?

Seconding that Opus Magnum is appropriate for this request. (Disclaimer: have not finished it.) No "code" at all in the lines-of-text sense; you get a bunch of arms and you drag and drop a reel of instructions for how they need to move, pick stuff up, and drop it. Something like 12 total instructions. That's it, and everything else iterates on that. As long as you can understand the (admittedly slightly quirky) logic of those instructions, you're good to go.

Probably the most accessible Zachtronics game, from watching friends play through the rest of them & from owning Opus Magnum.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I've no programming background other than a class I took in highschool 20 years ago (and did terrible in). If you're interested in maybe checking out programming games I'd say Exapunks is an excellent place to start. I think I got about halfway through the game before I had to call it quits for being too hard.

Opus Magnum is probably better if you've no interest at all in typing some code, though I dunno what my problem is I bounced off of it. But honestly, they'll good places to start aside from TIS-100. That one was definitely too much for me, and I'd probably wait for after playing Exapunks to checkout Shenzen IO. I think I also got to about the halfway point with Shenzen before it got too hard for me :negative: Thoroughly enjoyed my time with them though.

Edit: Also want to give a shoutout to Molek-Syntez. It's no slouch either. Though honestly, just buy them all for all those sweet sweet solitaire variants.

The General fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 20, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sway Grunt posted:

Just in case you haven't bought it yet I've had a copy of SpaceChem + DLC chilling in my Steam inventory for years if you wanna save those $10!

I bought it before I saw this, but that is an incredibly generous offer and I really appreciate it!

signalnoise posted:

So you have a better idea here as someone who never wrote code, there's a big difference between writing what's called "pseudocode" and using an actual programming language. If you can understand writing a series of if/then statements and make a flowchart, congrats, you have the basics of pseudocode. Real programming languages basically are ways to take the conceptual constructs of pseudocode and turn them into something that a computer can understand by running real code through a compiler, but you don't have to know that. You likely know more about code than you think you do, but it just has never been put into a context for you to think of it as code. You've probably used it just to figure out what you should do on the next turn of a game depending on what the opponent does.

This was INCREDIBLY helpful thank you. All the steam reviews were talking about coding but I thought I needed to know a specific language or something. I put about an hour into Spacechem last night and got my brain melted (in a good way). The pseudocode tickles my brain in a fun way, maybe I'll try to learn a coding language if I can manage to beat the game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

if I can manage to beat the game.

Good fuckin' luck :v:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I bought it before I saw this, but that is an incredibly generous offer and I really appreciate it!

This was INCREDIBLY helpful thank you. All the steam reviews were talking about coding but I thought I needed to know a specific language or something. I put about an hour into Spacechem last night and got my brain melted (in a good way). The pseudocode tickles my brain in a fun way, maybe I'll try to learn a coding language if I can manage to beat the game.

It's kinda the same thought processes even if the language is different. If you find yourself trying to optimize the bonding flow to use as few components as possible or experimenting with different ways of doing it faster and faster, you're already halfway there :v:

Also I definitely recommend checking out other people's solutions on youtube. I definitely had a couple galaxy brain moments when I saw some of the methods used. It can be hard to impossible to copy the more intricate solutions, but they gave me some great ideas on how to build my own.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 20, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kvlt! posted:

Hey that's good to hear! I think there's a lot of things people think they have no idea about, but have actually done without ever being taught, and just have never been told the words for. Like how before knowing what it is, "algebra" might sound intimidating, even after using it without knowing it to determine your gas mileage when you fill up your tank, or some poo poo like that. You got this, you've been doing this for years! :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
SpaceChem is one of my favorite games but i never finished it. I only got up to the, uh, ruby space laser.

It can end up being very exhausting to play. Later levels eventually ended up with me staring at the screens for up to two hours without putting down a single symbol, just trying to figure out what i want to build. I end up needing a lot of free time just to get started.
The game starts easy when you don't know anything and just put things down and tweak them until they work. But then you discover more and more cool tricks and nifty mini-constructs, like dropping and outputting a molecule on the same turn, or forwards-backwards workflows instead of doing loops, and then you start to want to implement all the cool stuff immediately on a new solution. It ups the planning complexity so much that you i don't get anything done :v:
(That's really a me problem though, don't let this scare you off.)

The downside is a huge time investment. The upside is that i can open up SpaceChem a few years later, open up some of my solutions and go "holy poo poo, HOW did i ever build this? It's way too good! I'm too stupid for that".

Still one of the most baffling old solutions i've opened up is Gas Works Park, where i've built a carbon disassembly reactor so efficient that it's almost a magnitude faster than all other reactions needed in that level. It's so fast, it outputs a carbon atom every 2.75 cycles on average. And to make sure that my reactions don't break because of clogged pipelines, i had to make the carbon delivery pipeline 180 spaces long, taking two huge detours and taking up most of the level. My second of three reactors in this line waits a whopping 190 cycles of doing nothing just for the first single carbon atom to make its way around the entire level.

There's an optional challenge to complete the level in fewer than 2700 cycles. My solution clocks in at only a little over 1000, knocking it out of the literal park despite wasting almost a fifth of the entire runtime waiting for atoms to travel down a comically oversized pipe.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
What are some good arcade-style driving game recommendations, in the vein of Burnout? I'm looking both for mobile (premium preferred, no IAP) and PC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Funktor posted:

What are some good arcade-style driving game recommendations, in the vein of Burnout? I'm looking both for mobile (premium preferred, no IAP) and PC.

OutRun 2006. the other side of the two best arcade racing games on the XBOX/PS2 era ever, the other being Burnout 3.

e) note that this is *really* an arcade racing game, as in checkpoint-based, so if you wanted something more arcade-themed rather than a straight up arcade game, it might not be for you. great game, though, with a really fun mode where you have to impress your girlfriend by doing a bunch of silly tasks during the level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3kb48cFww

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 23, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Redout is a good F-Zero style racing game, available on PC.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Is Outrun 2006 even available anywhere? (outside physical copies)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Random question - are there any modern first person RTS games? Like, something in the vein of C&C Renegade. I've been watching my wife play Satisfactory and it just made me think about how I want base building and city building and expanding like that, but also it being first person.

Give me a first person 4X game.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I haven't actually played it but Dyson Sphere Program seems to be partly first person.

Also not sure if it hits all four Xs now that I post about it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Anyone know if there's any reverse Turing test game (Hidden in Plain Sight, Spy Party, Unspottable, Thief Town) that has online multiplayer for 4+ people? On PC, preferably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Random question - are there any modern first person RTS games? Like, something in the vein of C&C Renegade. I've been watching my wife play Satisfactory and it just made me think about how I want base building and city building and expanding like that, but also it being first person.

Give me a first person 4X game.

Depends on your definition of modern, but Battlezone and its sequel have been remastered: https://store.steampowered.com/app/624970/Battlezone_Combat_Commander/
There's also a reportedly pretty good mod for 2: https://www.moddb.com/games/battlezone-ii/mods