Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Blinkz0rz posted:

Just wait, soon enough no naps :spooky:

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At 19 months we get one nap from 12:00 - 2:15 and sleep from 7:30 - 6:45 or 7:00. That second 2:15 - 7:30pm period can be one hell of a slog if it is lovely outside and he's demanding maximum interaction.

He's starting to figure out what it means to be tired though. On days where he's been super
active he practically rushes us through the bedtime rituals, flipping the pages of the bedtime book before we can finish them and promptly flipping over to a sleeping position after he reaches the end of the book.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Blinkz0rz posted:

Just wait, soon enough no naps :spooky:

I hate these days/times. Please let me rest a bit..

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
One of the boys knows about iPhones now, says he wants an iphone 5, no a 2, a 3 or a 4. He says we have money so we can buy him one, ok? Good it's settled then!

Then he took 20 euros out of his moms purse and somehow I guess was gonna try and buy an iPhone with that.

God damnit this is an android family.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 3 year old still takes a 2 hour nap after lunch and goes to bed at 7:30 - 8 and wakes up around 6:30 - 7.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Today in why is my toddler crying: she wanted to play by herself in her room and I said yes.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
For my entire child’s life (just turned 3) she’s been a good sleeper. As bad as it gets during the day, we’ve always been able to say “at least she sleeps at night, so we’re actually really lucky” as consolation.

No more. Lately she’s been getting out of bed at 3am to come find us and then taking hours to resettle. The first few nights it made sense, her night light had turned off or whatever. But now it’s just becoming a Thing She Does and it’s a new frontier of suck.

It’s probably related to sleeping in a new bed. But she did perfectly fine in that bed for the first few weeks so I don’t know what’s changed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How soon can you transition the baby from crib to baby bed

Baby has been reliably climbing onto our fairly tall couch for a couple weeks now, and when put in bed she stays there and doesn't seem like the type to run out of the room etc

She's about 14 months now I guess and climbs in and out of my eames lounge chair clone with no issue etc, I don't see the point of the crib anymore. We're about to move, can I just transition her to a baby bed when we get to the new house (assuming any are in stock)

The crib has a replaceable wall that's like a mid step between a bed and a crib, is that what I want to do?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

How soon can you transition the baby from crib to baby bed

Baby has been reliably climbing onto our fairly tall couch for a couple weeks now, and when put in bed she stays there and doesn't seem like the type to run out of the room etc

She's about 14 months now I guess and climbs in and out of my eames lounge chair clone with no issue etc, I don't see the point of the crib anymore. We're about to move, can I just transition her to a baby bed when we get to the new house (assuming any are in stock)

The crib has a replaceable wall that's like a mid step between a bed and a crib, is that what I want to do?

Your kid might be ready, but are you? Remember that a crib keeps your kiddo from crawling around in the middle of the night and generally getting into stuff. I'd personally wait until your hand is forced and she climbs out. Remember, if she can't get out of her crib in the middle of the night she can't sneak into your room and wake you up by pressing her face into yours as hard as she can at 3am. Yes, this happened to me multiple times.

The other thing is that if you're moving it's probably a good idea to wait until you're settled before making another big change like switching to a bed so you don't overwhelm her with too many changes too quickly.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Ours was in a crib until her third birthday. Yes, it was a decently large crib (IKEA standard model). She never once climbed out on her own, but then again she didn't need to because we were in the same room so she'd just ask us to pick her up when she'd woken up.

Just saying, there are no fixed rules here, you can go ahead and improvise. Maybe at 14 months I would still worry a bit about falling out and bumping her head, personally. Our was still crawling in circles in her sleep at that age.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Your kid might be ready, but are you? Remember that a crib keeps your kiddo from crawling around in the middle of the night and generally getting into stuff. I'd personally wait until your hand is forced and she climbs out. Remember, if she can't get out of her crib in the middle of the night she can't sneak into your room and wake you up by pressing her face into yours as hard as she can at 3am. Yes, this happened to me multiple times.

The other thing is that if you're moving it's probably a good idea to wait until you're settled before making another big change like switching to a bed so you don't overwhelm her with too many changes too quickly.

This is our philosophy.

Not only does the kid's room have to be fully baby-proofed, but anywhere the kid can access. If they can open their door, they can get anywhere in the house.

And when I say "fully baby-proofed," I mean the kid is wholly unsupervised and has potentially hours to get in to stuff while you're asleep. So it's more than the "they won't be out of my sight for more than 30 seconds" baby proofing.

We used adjustable cribs and our first was always ahead of us... we were always reacting to her climbing out by lowering the crib until eventually we converted to toddler bed (by like 2 years plus a few months). We've been ahead of our 2nd so far and he hasn't shown much interest/ability in climbing out... but he's at the lowest setting and about 20 months, so I suspect we'll be converting to toddler bed sooner rather than later.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thank you everyone for the nap examples! This helps us a lot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I hesitate to post this because it will immediately jinx us, but I think for the first time in two months nobody in our family is sick or otherwise symptomatic of anything. Not that any of us have been seriously sick, but it's been a deluge of non-stop running noses and coughs and whatnot that, in the present climate, has kept us on our toes and exhausted our test supply.

A few things stand out though: None of us have ever been diagnosed or positive-tested for COVID. One of the colds that went around the first two weeks of the month did seem worse than usual--at one point I had a sore throat that didn't feel that bad on the whole, but just seemed unusual and strange, while also having very little nasal congestion and an infrequent cough. I tested myself multiple times during this with a nasal swab rapid test and all were negative. I never tried the throat swab because that's still not recommended for the current rapid tests. My wife had molecular tests done at work (which are more sensitive than rapid tests but on the whole less accurate than PCR, but they get the results back in a few hours) and those were negative too. We tested the kids the most and they were always negative. My wife and I are both vaccinated, and there's a high probability that at least one if not both of our kids are as well (research trial).

We never formally quarantined because, if we were to do so just on the basis of minor symptoms but in the absence of major ones (even fever) or positive tests we wouldn't have left the house in the past two months. Still, we've been keeping a low profile. Our daycare has a known-positive-contact-within-the-family-quarantine policy (what do you call that?), but they don't do same-room quarantines. They've sent out a single notification of a positive child in I think every room of the daycare over the past two weeks, but never more than one. To be honest, I'd expect a lot more spread in that situation unless children really are less susceptible (but still susceptible!) to COVID.

Given that the peak of the omicron wave in our area appears to have been about a week ago, I figure we either all had very minor (and apparently, undetectable) cases of COVID, or we dodged it. I mean, it could still happen, but I'd be surprised if our daycare that is normally a cesspool of disease would somehow significantly lag behind our general area in experiencing a breakout.

Anyways, it feels like a moment of respite in an otherwise utterly exhausting situation.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yeah, we’ve been in a similar boat. My son is on his third illness since omicron took over and each time we’ve all tested negative. The first time when I caught it I had a stuffy nose for three full weeks. The second time there was even a positive case in his classroom several days before. This time is definitely the most severe, he’s got a 102 temp before we give him ibuprofein and the coughing sounds gnarly. Even though he was negative on Monday we’re getting another round of PCR tests today since my wife has symptoms now so we’ll see. Just seems crazy that we’d dodge omicron while also having our most illness-stricken 6 weeks we’ve ever had.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It is absolutely freezing out and I'm not looking forward to the tantrum when I won't take the baby out in the freeing rain on the bike. Or to him screaming about it being cold if I do take him out.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Re: naps and night time sleeping. Neither of my kids are good sleepers, so if you can count on nap time and sleeping through the night, consider yourself lucky AF. I haven’t slept through the night in almost three years.

Re: crib to bed transition. I put my kid in a toddler bed (crib with one side taken off) when she was able to climb out. I don’t remember how old she was, I think it was just before she turned two. I am lucky that the door to her room and my room are next to each other in the hallway, and that I can put up a gate so she can only go between her room and mine, and that she hasn’t figured out how to climb over the gate yet. Got her a twin mattress on the floor when she was 2.5 and it hasn’t made a difference in her sleep patterns.

Been a little bit since I’ve posted. Last weekend I biffed it hard on an icy deck and gave myself a mild concussion, whiplash, and a huge bruise on my hip. Baby dad was supposed to hang out with the kids the next day but decided he needed to do laundry, so he didn’t come. Needless to say I was pretty miserable. Then I got notified of another exposure at daycare, so kids are back in quarantine. My mom isn’t available to help, and on Tuesday Baby dad was another no-show because he had to get up early on Wednesday since he was going to watch the kids so I could work. He literally said to me, “I need sleep to function.” That morning my baby bit my nipple to the point of bleeding, so the milk I pumped was pink. Instead of baby dad giving him fresh breast milk, or thawing frozen milk, he gave him soy milk. I’m taking both kids and myself to get covid tested today. Toddler had a random fever a couple days ago but we all have been fine apart from runny noses that never go away, so hopefully we are all negative. Lots of friends kids have been testing positive so I’m worried.

Anyone have any craft ideas for a 2.5 year old? We color and paint every day, have made a huge long paper chain, done stamps and stencils, made magazine collages… Running out of ideas and we’ve got a lot of time to kill considering it’s currently -17 outside.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 20, 2022

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Given that the peak of the omicron wave in our area appears to have been about a week ago, I figure we either all had very minor (and apparently, undetectable) cases of COVID, or we dodged it. I mean, it could still happen, but I'd be surprised if our daycare that is normally a cesspool of disease would somehow significantly lag behind our general area in experiencing a breakout.

I have a feeling that the rapid tests do more harm than good for mild cases. I’ve heard far too many stories of people testing negative 5+ times with rapid tests, only to turn up positive with PCR. In my daycare we only had two positives amongst 60 kids after the holidays with rapid tests. They’re asking everyone to get PCR tests after the latest exposure, I’m curious what those numbers will look like.

Re: crib chat- as an alternative perspective my son started sleeping in a floor bed at 10 months. His room is baby proofed within reason (ie if he really wanted to he could get into some trouble), but it’s been fine for the past two years. He’s fallen out of the bed maybe three times, and left his room only twice. Probably five times he’s woken up way too early, turned on the lights, and started playing. But in general he just lies in bed or plays quietly until we go in.

All of this to say, you know your kid best. My son isn’t a climber or particularly rambunctious, and can be reasoned with pretty well even at 2. And since he’s as loud as an elephant there’s little chance of him getting into trouble without us knowing, especially with the baby monitor. But if your kid is more prone to quietly creating a mess then a floor bed may not be the best idea.

in_cahoots fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 20, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I really hope your judge sees what an absent father your ex is being and tells him to go gently caress himself!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Wife and I did an accent wall in our living room last night. Walls are, overall in the main part of the house, that lovely flat off-white that you see in apartments and cheap flips and poo poo (this place was flipped by the PO's kids after she passed). It's amazing how much your kids freak out happy-like when they go to bed and wake up to a gorgeous mid-dark grey wall in the living room where there was crayon, marker and holes before :kimchi:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Koivunen posted:

he gave him soy milk.
Has your baby had soy milk before? What's up with that?

Was your ex always this lovely even with your first and when you still lived together? Or was he actually OK for a time?

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

I mean, you should really consider his sleep needs. He’s going through a tough time. I hear he’s breaking up with his girlfriend. It must be so hard on him.

But seriously, glad you’re still alive. I hope the divorce settlement includes very hefty child support.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Has your baby had soy milk before? What's up with that?

Was your ex always this lovely even with your first and when you still lived together? Or was he actually OK for a time?

I’m telling you all, he started drinking heavily after the breakup. No way he was doing laundry. Motherfucker was passed out on the floor.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Any tips on how to shift wake-up time for 10mo baby? After my big sleep training ordeal he now sleeps continuously from 8pm to 6am, but man would it be great if he slept until 7!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Freezer posted:

Any tips on how to shift wake-up time for 10mo baby? After my big sleep training ordeal he now sleeps continuously from 8pm to 6am, but man would it be great if he slept until 7!

Heh. Wait a couple years?

That's not meant to sound flippant in case it comes off that way, but if I had an infant that was sleeping for 10 solid hours at night I would not mess with that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Freezer posted:

Wait until March 13th and let daylight saving time fix the problem?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Pray to any and all gods

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

L0cke17 posted:

It is absolutely freezing out and I'm not looking forward to the tantrum when I won't take the baby out in the freeing rain on the bike. Or to him screaming about it being cold if I do take him out.

Yeah this is why I got a trailer rather than a seat. Kiddo is protected from the wind and rain, and I can just dump blankets on top of him for extra warmth. I haven't used it much in sub-zero, but I know people who have (eg in Toronto winters).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

in_cahoots posted:

Re: crib chat- as an alternative perspective my son started sleeping in a floor bed at 10 months. His room is baby proofed within reason (ie if he really wanted to he could get into some trouble), but it’s been fine for the past two years. He’s fallen out of the bed maybe three times, and left his room only twice. Probably five times he’s woken up way too early, turned on the lights, and started playing. But in general he just lies in bed or plays quietly until we go in.

Same, around 10 months too. We actually stuck a spare queen sized mattress in the room, so my partner can come in and breast feed him lying down. Apparently the other advantage is that it helps them get the whole crawling out of bed and wandering in the night thing out of their system.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We put our son in a floor bed starting as soon as he left the bassinet at around 4-5 months (right as he began turning over). Since he can't reach the door knob yet it's pretty secure. We just needed to ensure everything is babyproofed. Worst thing that has happened so far is that he climbed up his rocking chair and got onto his low shelves, but no harm done and we rearranged so he can't do that anymore.

It rules so hard. He can wake up as early as 645 and just entertain himself until 745 no problem. At night, if he isn't tired enough at bedtime he'll play with his toys for a bit and then get into his bed and go to sleep (which is adorable to watch on the monitor). He fell out of the bed a few times, but it's like 3 inches onto carpet so it's nbd.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Freezer posted:

Put baby to sleep at 9:15pm, get blackout shades

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I was sure we all got COVID this week but it was Influenza A instead. I’m sure that as soon as this hell is finally over we’ll get the former.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Freezer posted:

3 of our 4 go to bed around 6:00-7:00 and then wake up around 4:30-5:00 :negative:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My toddler gave all of us a non-covid cold, now she’s better and has the audacity to make fun of my scratchy, hoarse voice.

“PiGgiE, i bRoKe My TrUnK!!!”
I’m just try to read the book you asked for, stop making fun of me :mad:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

King Hong Kong posted:

I was sure we all got COVID this week but it was Influenza A instead. I’m sure that as soon as this hell is finally over we’ll get the former.

What the gently caress, they actually test people for other things than Covid where you're at?

We've had a bout with something mysterious for the past two weeks and I just realized today that it's hand-foot-and-mouth disease. Not from a doctor, mind you, but because another parent at the preschool mentioned to my wife that some kid had gotten it two weeks ago.

Which then my toddler must have had stealthily last week (displaying only a mild fever for two days), and which gave me a 105 degree fever by Monday evening. Since the fever was gone so quickly and was replaced with sore throat, I was convinced it was "mild covid" because of being vaccinated. But when the bumps / spots appeared on my hands this morning, I got wise and asked around...

My mom doesn't recall ever hearing about HFM, so I gather it's safe to say I never had it as a kid. Would not recommend.

Well, on the flip side, the covid outbreak at the preschool happened while we were out of it so I guess you win some, you lose some. Let's hope none of the four remaining negative kids turn up positive.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My seven year old daughter wanted to listen to Katy Perry - Roar while she ate her after school snack, prior to doing homework so I obliged.

One of her daily assignments is 15 minutes of reading, so we talked about how the song is kind of about girls being awesome, then had her read the CNN article on Zara Rutherford, who just flew around the world solo at 19.

Sometimes the timing works out alright to send some good messages.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

devmd01 posted:

My seven year old daughter wanted to listen to Katy Perry - Roar while she ate her after school snack, prior to doing homework so I obliged.

One of her daily assignments is 15 minutes of reading, so we talked about how the song is kind of about girls being awesome, then had her read the CNN article on Zara Rutherford, who just flew around the world solo at 19.

Sometimes the timing works out alright to send some good messages.

My boys refuse to call that song Roar; it is the "eye of the tiger song". I kept explaining to them that was a different song, and finally played the real "eye of the tiger". They really liked that one too.

Did they learn to call the original song "roar"? Nope, it is "eye of the tiger" and the other is "eye of the tiger fight" because they dance around and punch to the main guitar parts.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Re: cot to bed chat. I kept my first in the cot until she was 3, and we made a big to-do about it because now she was a big girl, she gets a big girl bed. Our cot changes to a toddler bed so we took the side off and put the new side on. Great success.

She was in sleeping bags/sleep suits until 2ish, then we transitioned to sheet and blanket with warm pjs in winter and a pillow. Because she’s used to staying in bed, being trapped in the cot until 3 and all, she doesn’t get out of bed if she’s distressed or needs us, she yells out. Some of my friends who transitioned earlier have their kids wander out at all hours of the night and have to be careful of what they’re watching on tv.

Probably going to do something similar with number 2. She’s really taking the bull by the horns with the challenging toddler phase, so she can stay put in the cot for as long as possible.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well now that my kids and the au pair have covid, the universe has decided it’s time for me to get it. I tested positive yesterday, but the great thing is I don’t have to wear a mask in my own house now. Never had covid before so had no frame of reference, but hard to argue with a positive result on a rapid test. Kids are weathering it well, and my wife is pretty sure she has it also because of course she does.

lovely part is, hourly pay means I’m out three days of pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

femcastra posted:

Re: cot to bed chat. I kept my first in the cot until she was 3, and we made a big to-do about it because now she was a big girl, she gets a big girl bed. Our cot changes to a toddler bed so we took the side off and put the new side on. Great success.

She was in sleeping bags/sleep suits until 2ish, then we transitioned to sheet and blanket with warm pjs in winter and a pillow. Because she’s used to staying in bed, being trapped in the cot until 3 and all, she doesn’t get out of bed if she’s distressed or needs us, she yells out. Some of my friends who transitioned earlier have their kids wander out at all hours of the night and have to be careful of what they’re watching on tv.

Probably going to do something similar with number 2. She’s really taking the bull by the horns with the challenging toddler phase, so she can stay put in the cot for as long as possible.

We did this with our first as well when she was 3, and it worked great. She still gets out of bed all the time but we are working on it. I have insomnia and I think she gets some of that from me, she’s always crawling into our bed at 4AM.

Her brother is a few months shy of 2 and we’re probably going to transition him to a bed this weekend, much earlier than with the first kid. He’s a climber and she never was, and he’s riiiiight on the edge on climbing out of his crib. He’s gotten close a few times. So my wife is planning on moving him tomorrow or the next day.

We have a child latch on the door, where you can open the door by pulling up on the handle but not pulling down. The kids share a room and the older one knows how to open it fine so we’re not concerned about fire or anything, but the younger hasn’t figured it out yet. Hopefully it will be a while, since he’s definitely the type to wander. He’s smart though so I don’t imagine that will keep him fooled for long, and there’s no way I’m going to secure the door any more than that for safety reasons.