Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Okay sure him being on the screen = actual characterization. That chart literally shows that he exists not that he had stuff to do.

If the hero is the dude who only shows up to do one cool thing at the end of each season, no one is going to care and it will diminish those actions.

he needs more to chew on not just being in the scene as a person. There is a reason Nyn/Moiraine/Egwene got a lot more fan interest than Rand over this first season. Existing isn't the same as being given things that build your story. Rand's story was very thin in season one to create that who is the dragon mystery.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

goethe.cx posted:

Hardest death is still Bela

Apparently according to the companion Bela survives.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Second Hopper

What the gently caress, Sanderson, what the gently caress

This was unforgivable. I wanted Hopper as a hero of the horn.

gently caress you Sanderdon. Grr.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dysgenesis posted:

Apparently according to the companion Bela survives.

The gently caress? I thought the text describes her explicitly dying of the spear wound.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The gently caress? I thought the text describes her explicitly dying of the spear wound.

LOL at this poser who thinks mortal weapons can kill Bela.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
There are no beginnings or endings to the whinny of time

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

that spear wasn't the lance of longinus so it can't kill the creator

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
For all the jokes about taints and skirt smoothing and braid tugging, someone on Facebook pointed out a single chapter of Winter's Heart:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Reading TGS now and Sanderson is very obviously specifically having women cross their arms beneath their breasts, yet still managing to do it less often than RJ.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Reading TGS now and Sanderson is very obviously specifically having women cross their arms beneath their breasts, yet still managing to do it less often than RJ.

better than all the gaping going on in winters heart :stonk:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

better than all the gaping going on in winters heart :stonk:

The Browneye of the World

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Who is this guy in CoS that helps Rand in Shadar Logoth as he is battling Sammael? I don’t remember this. Liah I remember but not this rando

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
That's just Moridin/Ishamael making sure Rand doesn't die

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Spek posted:

That's just Moridin/Ishamael making sure Rand doesn't die

Yeah I figured it out when the crossing of the streams happened. I wasn’t expecting it so soon. Welp, I’m knee deep in the slog now starting PoD tonight :ohdear:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I remember CoS and PoD being okay, slog-wise. WH was pretty dull until the end, and CoT...geez

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I wouldn't call either CoS or PoD a slog. They both have a lot going on and read pretty quickly. The only parts of the series I have issues with on re-read are the first half of Winter's Heart and CoT.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Swaggering Fain is amazing and an incredible interpretation of the character, I hope he maintains said swagger even as he goes steadily more insane and his body begins rotting around him

Yea, it's a really great change from Gollum By Another Name.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lord of Chaos, Chapter 17 posted:

By ji'e'toh, a proper demand to be made gai'shain had to be honored, so a man or a woman could end up gai'shain for mentioning somebody's mother-in-law.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I’m going to laugh if the entire rationale behind Amazon’s insane billion dollar LotR deal is because Bezos is a secret Tolkien nerd.

He started out as a bookseller didn’t he? So it’s entirely possible.

I’ve always thought it was an interesting quirk of fate that a top 3 richest westerner is a bookstore owner and his chinese equivalent (Jack Ma) is an English teacher. Weird world we live in.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Second Hopper

What the gently caress, Sanderson, what the gently caress

Makes me wonder if those were in Jordan’s notes or not.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

my unsubstantiated guess is that the major deaths were in jordan's notes--sanderson probably didn't kill off egwene of his own volition--but for the rest of them, there might have been an indication that many secondary characters should die but he didn't list them all. so if hopper and bela weren't on that list, i have words for brandon

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

theblackw0lf posted:

All mentor characters must die

Also does Fain's whistling sound like Run Rabbit Run or is it just me?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah I read or saw somewhere recently that there weren't many notes at all for Perrin's final arc which is why I singled out Sandy there.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

goethe.cx posted:

my unsubstantiated guess is that the major deaths were in jordan's notes--sanderson probably didn't kill off egwene of his own volition--but for the rest of them, there might have been an indication that many secondary characters should die but he didn't list them all. so if hopper and bela weren't on that list, i have words for brandon

I heard Harriet told him Bela had to die because of the circumstances he wrote her in to. I think it was earlier in this thread someone linked about it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

PoD progress: Tenobia has a round bosom :sun:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In a Verin pov chapter it says 71 years have passed since she last made a serious mistake. Anyone know what that is?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

In a Verin pov chapter it says 71 years have passed since she last made a serious mistake. Anyone know what that is?

Pretty sure that's when she got caught investigating the Black Ajah and forced to join up.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The whole Verin and Tomas thing is such a tragic little tale. A real kick in the guts.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Also in her chapter it talks of how she had gained permission to question the Aes Sedai prisoners and Sorilea and Amys had to be “guided” to that decision to allow it. Did she use compulsion on them?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hexel posted:

Also in her chapter it talks of how she had gained permission to question the Aes Sedai prisoners and Sorilea and Amys had to be “guided” to that decision to allow it. Did she use compulsion on them?

Certainly the implication.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That seems less likely; I don't think they'd allow her to channel at them and they'd be able to tell.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Heres the relevant passage:

“Once Aeron departed, Verin allowed herself a sigh of relief. She had been afraid Aeron intended to remain. Gaining permission to be alone with the prisoners had required nearly as much effort as getting Sorilea and Amys to decide they needed to be questioned, and by someone intimate with the White Tower. If they ever learned they had been guided to that decision. . . . It was a worry for another day. She seemed to be piling up a great many of those.”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That definitely reads to me more in the manipulated sense.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

They’re letting her channel to shield the ones she is questioning she has sworn to the Lord Dragon the others have not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

They’re letting her channel to shield the ones she is questioning she has sworn to the Lord Dragon the others have not.

Yeah I know, but the question is whether or not "[Amys and Sorilea] had been guided to that decision" was Verin compelling them, and it feels pretty clear to me that it's not.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It specifically mentions compulsion:

“The other trick, however, smelled too akin to forbidden Compulsion.”

“From bits and pieces and scraps of half-remembered weaves created by untrained girls for very limited purposes, Verin had reconstructed a thing forbidden by the Tower since its founding. ”

She’s certainly using compulsion to question Beldeine.

“She needed to lay the flows in place thread by thread, but talking seemed to help rather than hinder. And too long a silence might rouse suspicion, if her twin guardians were listening. Her eyes darted frequently to the dangling doorflaps. She wanted some answers she had no intention of sharing, answers none of the women she questioned were likely to give freely even if they knew them. One of the smaller effects of this weave was to loosen the tongue and open the mind as well as any herb ever could, an effect that came on quickly.”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh yes that's 100% definite.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

It seems like shes cooked up a hybrid compulsion, I suppose she couldn’t have hit Amys and Sorilea with this because of the trust factor

“Of course the thing was not truly Compulsion as ancient texts described it. The weaving went with painful slowness, cobbled together as it was, and there was that need for a reason. It helped a great deal if the object of the weave was emotionally vulnerable, but trust was absolutely essential. Even catching someone by surprise did no good if they were suspicious. That fact cut down its usefulness with men considerably; very few men lacked suspicion around Aes Sedai.”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Yea, her cobbled together compulsion barely works on people who are exhausted by being worked and she still has to kind of cover it by healing them. It's not going to work on Sorielea or Amys in any normal circumstance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Whoopsie! Moghedien just accidentally broke the block on channeling for the most powerful Aes Sedai of the age, tee hee! Did a little oopise doddle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Honestly, there's a decent chance that even actual Compulsion wouldn't work on Sorilea. Not for very long, at least.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whoopsie! Moghedien just accidentally broke the block on channeling for the most powerful Aes Sedai of the age, tee hee! Did a little oopise doddle!
It's really hilarious how much of a failure Moghedien is. Between unblocking Nynaeve and saidar Travelling she's probably near the top of the charts for effectiveness on the good guy side.