Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'll give it a shot that way, thanks. I'll just put the base in the back of the fridge overnight I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
But for pure banana ice cream, you just blend the frozen bananas directly - no need for an ice cream maker or anything. Blend them for long enough and they turn into ice cream.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I made confit from turkey wings and thighs. Standard french duck recipe. Delicious; a ton more meat; just as good if not better in ways. Shitload cheaper. Poached in peanut oil. Just gonna sous vide next time. Serve like Peking duck for a twist.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
oh and I bought some ridic expensive local turkey thigh and wing and saw no flavor difference but the local dark meat was way bigger just fyi

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Trip report: Ninja Creami

Got one too and been steadily impressed at the results: storebought eggnog alone turned into great ice cream, can of peaches in syrup was passable sorbet texture-wise (though flavor was obv not extraordinary), and the couple actual ice cream attempts I've made (graham cracker; raspberry-hibiscus) have turned out really good. Full fat sweetened greek yogurt alone also came out super nice.

Never had a really proper compressor ice cream machine to compare it to, but it's like a million times better than the cheapo spinning frozen bowl ones I've had before and the ease of just mixing whatever together and throwing it in the freeze overnight can't be overstated.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 16, 2022

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I would really like a 9x13 pan with an oven safe lid. My google-fu is weak and all I'm finding are pans with plastic lids. I know glass lids exist but I can't find them through the clutter of endless plastic lids for glass dishes. I don't need a transparent lid, if I could find an oven-safe silicon or enamel lid to fit a 9x13 pan I'd be happy. Does anyone know the magic keywords I need to search?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Try Corning ware or Pyrex and casserole.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 17, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ExecuDork posted:

I would really like a 9x13 pan with an oven safe lid. My google-fu is weak and all I'm finding are pans with plastic lids. I know glass lids exist but I can't find them through the clutter of endless plastic lids for glass dishes. I don't need a transparent lid, if I could find an oven-safe silicon or enamel lid to fit a 9x13 pan I'd be happy. Does anyone know the magic keywords I need to search?

Is there anything wrong with having a metal lid?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Murgos posted:

Try Corning ware or Pyrex and casserole.

Yep, I've got one of these, although it's slightly smaller than 9x13 it works for most recipes that fit a 9x13 pan:

https://www.pyrexhome.com/product/easy-grab-2-quart-glass-casserole-dish

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Should I make a thread dedicated to online groceries like Dartagnan and IGourmet? I have some experience with them but I'd like to hear more from goons and also find some more online specialty stores that sell interesting stuff.

I can't think of a good pun though for a thread title and threads need a good pun.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Should I make a thread dedicated to online groceries like Dartagnan and IGourmet? I have some experience with them but I'd like to hear more from goons and also find some more online specialty stores that sell interesting stuff.

I can't think of a good pun though for a thread title and threads need a good pun.

Hello friend! Coupons & Deals › Grocery / personal care / home supplies deal megathread

If this does not satisfy your Informed Shopper needs, please do feel free to utilize Coupons and Deals for discussion of all Informed Shopping you like. I support such discussion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

signalnoise posted:

Hello friend! Coupons & Deals › Grocery / personal care / home supplies deal megathread

If this does not satisfy your Informed Shopper needs, please do feel free to utilize Coupons and Deals for discussion of all Informed Shopping you like. I support such discussion.

I was thinking of a thread dedicated to products

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I was thinking of a thread dedicated to products

I'm not telling you where you *should* put it, I am just letting you know basically that C&D is open to such actual discussion of products, if what you're looking for is to discuss things for the sake of informed purchases. Since Dr Eldarion stepped down, there are no more rapid fire thread postings of one-off deals, so it is undergoing a period of potential transition. If people don't want to use it for that, that's cool too. I'm just making sure people are aware that I would not consider such a thread out of place. Right now there's like 1 thread that gets any traffic and I'm thinking surely if people start looking at the place, they'll see they can give advice in threads than the one they came for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

signalnoise posted:

I'm not telling you where you *should* put it, I am just letting you know basically that C&D is open to such actual discussion of products, if what you're looking for is to discuss things for the sake of informed purchases. Since Dr Eldarion stepped down, there are no more rapid fire thread postings of one-off deals, so it is undergoing a period of potential transition. If people don't want to use it for that, that's cool too. I'm just making sure people are aware that I would not consider such a thread out of place. Right now there's like 1 thread that gets any traffic and I'm thinking surely if people start looking at the place, they'll see they can give advice in threads than the one they came for.

Yeah I see what you mean, yeah this was more about dedicated to online grocers not deals. There's grocers like dartagnan, igourmet, goldbelly, spiceworld etc.. that I'd be curious if other goons shopped there.

I just gotta come up with a pun and I'll make the thread.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 18, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I'm moving into a place with an induction stove. My cast iron frying pans/skillets are good to go but everything else is hosed I'm pretty sure. I've got some stainless steel pots with a copper bottom that I'm about 40% sure might work, but I'm suddenly in the market for some cheap pots and pans. Anyone have any opinions on these? They seem cheap but functional, and I don't anticipate having to put up with them for more than 2 years at absolute max.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hemlagad-6-piece-cookware-set-blue-00462878/

edit: eh they're all teflon-y. Lame.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 20, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I'm moving into a place with an induction stove. My cast iron frying pans/skillets are good to go but everything else is hosed I'm pretty sure. I've got some stainless steel pots with a copper bottom that I'm about 40% sure might work, but I'm suddenly in the market for some cheap pots and pans. Anyone have any opinions on these? They seem cheap but functional if a bit gaudy.

Can you look at each piece in that set and remember a time in your recent cooking where you would have actually used it? Because if the answer is no, then you probably want to buy individual pieces instead of a set.

I'd also be hesitant to buy a single pan much less a whole set without handling it first.

That general advice aside, I don't have anything to say about that particular set. Apart from yeah it's ugly. I don't know what your budget is, but if I had to replace my existing stainless pots and pans on a budget and I could either afford a couple hundred for everything or I could buy pieces slowly over time to fit my budget, then I'd probably pick up Tramontina for things like fry pan, stock pot, and so on.

Like cooking for two if I had to make due with just two pans and I wanted to go as cheap as practical, I'd get like a 12" Tramotina fry pan for ~US$50 and their 8 qt stock pot for ~US$90, and that would take care of like 90% of what I use on a regular basis that doesn't go in a wok, cast iron skillet, or pressure cooker.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

SubG posted:

Can you look at each piece in that set and remember a time in your recent cooking where you would have actually used it? Because if the answer is no, then you probably want to buy individual pieces instead of a set.

I'd also be hesitant to buy a single pan much less a whole set without handling it first.

That general advice aside, I don't have anything to say about that particular set. Apart from yeah it's ugly. I don't know what your budget is, but if I had to replace my existing stainless pots and pans on a budget and I could either afford a couple hundred for everything or I could buy pieces slowly over time to fit my budget, then I'd probably pick up Tramontina for things like fry pan, stock pot, and so on.

Like cooking for two if I had to make due with just two pans and I wanted to go as cheap as practical, I'd get like a 12" Tramotina fry pan for ~US$50 and their 8 qt stock pot for ~US$90, and that would take care of like 90% of what I use on a regular basis that doesn't go in a wok, cast iron skillet, or pressure cooker.

Beat me to it. Small sets can be nice if they're cheap enough, but often you're better off figuring out what you actually use on a semi regular basis.

First thing - test your copper bottom pans before you do anything. Stainless pans and induction cooktops can vary wildly. If you have cast iron and skillets already, I'd probably get a small soup/sauce pan, and a medium/large one depending on how many people you cook for and how frequently you cook for them. 1 skillet, 1 cast iron (of an appropriate size), 1 soup/sauce pan and a large soup/stock pot is probably good for 90% of my cooking. You can always add additional pieces down the line if you find yourself needing something else.

I also sincerely question whether that set will work with induction. The "About" section indicates it is aluminum, which is not compatible with induction burners. Additionally, those handles look to be some kind of plastic or rubber which would make those not oven safe - I don't know how important that is to you, but it's worth being aware of.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

So I'm moving into a place with an induction stove. My cast iron frying pans/skillets are good to go but everything else is hosed I'm pretty sure. I've got some stainless steel pots with a copper bottom that I'm about 40% sure might work, but I'm suddenly in the market for some cheap pots and pans. Anyone have any opinions on these? They seem cheap but functional, and I don't anticipate having to put up with them for more than 2 years at absolute max.

edit: eh they're all teflon-y. Lame.

When I moved into my old flat, it had induction, and we had to go out and buy new cookware.

We have pans from the IKEA 365+ range, as well as some from the more basic range, and the 365+ ones are really great. They work nicely with the induction, they are completely oven safe including the lids and they weren’t that expensive.

The more basic range are OK, but there are a couple of niggling little issues with them that mean I use them a lot less if I can help it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

E: nevermind

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

When I moved into my old flat, it had induction, and we had to go out and buy new cookware.

We have pans from the IKEA 365+ range, as well as some from the more basic range, and the 365+ ones are really great. They work nicely with the induction, they are completely oven safe including the lids and they weren’t that expensive.

The more basic range are OK, but there are a couple of niggling little issues with them that mean I use them a lot less if I can help it.

Thanks, I'm not expecting to have to use the induction for more than a year or two, so cheap but acceptable is exactly what I was looking for, especially since movers are hella expensive when your landlord won't repair the freight elevator.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thanks, I'm not expecting to have to use the induction for more than a year or two

You say that, but once we had induction I have never looked back. It’s very nearly as good as gas in terms of responsiveness, without the fire risk or fossil fuel usage, and I will always have induction from now on.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

You say that, but once we had induction I have never looked back. It’s very nearly as good as gas in terms of responsiveness, without the fire risk or fossil fuel usage, and I will always have induction from now on.

Much easier to clean as well. My ideal setup would be a large induction top with an integrated gas wok burner.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
There's also research in the last ten years or so about gas appliances being linked to measurably higher rates of asthma and other respiratory issues, particularly among children. I've been thinking about replacing my electric range with gas, but having read through some of the stuff, I'm thinking I may just get an outdoor burner to use occasionally and go induction in the kitchen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I think we are going to renovate our kitchen soon and we will go with induction. The idea of burning fossil fuels in our kitchen seems crazy to me now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

I think we are going to renovate our kitchen soon and we will go with induction. The idea of burning fossil fuels in our kitchen seems crazy to me now

Make sure you talk to an electrician before you do it, we rewired our house when we bought it and our electrician pointed out that if we had gone with the original wiring, we wouldn't have been able to run the shower and the hob at the same time without tripping the breakers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Make sure you talk to an electrician before you do it, we rewired our house when we bought it and our electrician pointed out that if we had gone with the original wiring, we wouldn't have been able to run the shower and the hob at the same time without tripping the breakers.

Noted, thanks. The house was fully renovated about 15 years ago so the wiring isn’t ancient, but well worth checking.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Veritek83 posted:

There's also research in the last ten years or so about gas appliances being linked to measurably higher rates of asthma and other respiratory issues, particularly among children. I've been thinking about replacing my electric range with gas, but having read through some of the stuff, I'm thinking I may just get an outdoor burner to use occasionally and go induction in the kitchen.

This is exactly what I did and for the same reason. Well, I got an outdoor burner, but I'm still just happily using my electric range rather than going induction.

Won't somebody please think of the children??

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m probably going to pull the trigger on a Bosch induction cooktop this weekend.

Yeah, I need a few new pans but that’s really just the non-stick stuff I replace every couple of years anyway.

I’ve really grown to dislike electric just due to the uneven and intermittent heat. My house has gas to it but not the kitchen and so I’d have to run a new gas line AND put in a vent with hood instead of just a recirculating hood for gas. Whereas we already have a 30 amp circuit to the electric cooktop so it should be as easy as pull the old and toss it and then drop in the new and hook it up.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Veritek83 posted:

I’ve seen this bubbling around, which I hate since we’re full gas. Ideally we’d switch to an induction stove/electric oven, but that’s going to spill into a full blown kitchen remodel and those are hard enough to do when the supply chain and contractor markets are normal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Before you tear your stove out, a lot of those studies are making the claim that *unventilated* gas stoves are bad.

If you have a proper hood venting to the outdoors and use it while you’re cooking you should be fine. You should be doing that anyways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760246/

quote:

The ventilation variable included an assessment of the effectiveness of an extractor fan, the size of the kitchen, air supply to the kitchen, and use of other ventilation in the kitchen (eg, window fan or ceiling fan). Gas stove use was not statistically associated with asthma in this study (OR = 1.50, CI 0.90–2.49).

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 20, 2022

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

Is there anything wrong with having a metal lid?

A metal lid would be fine! I just didn't think of it, I was lost in dreams of silicone wonderment.
I mean, I have a couple of cookie sheets but something that fits about as well as the sheet of aluminium foil I clumsily crimp on would be better.

I want to stop using Al foil for my lasagne, basically.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, I've got one of these, although it's slightly smaller than 9x13 it works for most recipes that fit a 9x13 pan:

https://www.pyrexhome.com/product/easy-grab-2-quart-glass-casserole-dish
Interesting. I like the look of that. My oven is small, I'll need to measure it but I'm happy to see the dimensions listed on that, and the website says it's on sale right now. Thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

An unnecessarily large example of my dinner

golden curry with basmati rice, chicken and carrot

the chicken was baked and seasoned thighs cooked ahead of time, but when we were taking the meat off the bone for this we were like "this skin is not good it's all soggy" so we fried it up in some oil and chopped it up n put it on top and I highly loving recommend this

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chemmy posted:

Before you tear your stove out, a lot of those studies are making the claim that *unventilated* gas stoves are bad.

If you have a proper hood venting to the outdoors and use it while you’re cooking you should be fine. You should be doing that anyways.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760246/

You might not realize how common it is to have a hood that just circulates around the filter and does not vent to a chimney. I only got mine vented to my chimney like 10 years ago.

That being said, I've never had an issue with gas and assume the studies are akin to "everything will give you cancer" so I personally am happy with my setup. If I could have changed anything it's be to have a gas top with an electric oven. A lot of folks here would prefer an induction top I like toasted tortillas over an open flame.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I bet it’s pretty common especially in lovely apartments like that link hints at.

But for people in here saying they’re gonna rip out their gas stove you still probably want a good hood vent in your kitchen with induction.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My apartment had a vent and even exhaust piping, but they somehow hosed it up and it just vented into the cabinet above the stove instead of through the piping. Like I could feel the air blowing out inside the cabinet.

We recently called for maintenance since one burner on our glass top stove stopped regulating heat (it would never cycle off). The maintenance guys told my wife “that’s how it’s supposed to work” and left, lol. Anyway, we’ve since moved out of there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

You might not realize how common it is to have a hood that just circulates around the filter and does not vent to a chimney. I only got mine vented to my chimney like 10 years ago.

That being said, I've never had an issue with gas and assume the studies are akin to "everything will give you cancer" so I personally am happy with my setup. If I could have changed anything it's be to have a gas top with an electric oven. A lot of folks here would prefer an induction top I like toasted tortillas over an open flame.

Pet birds frequently die if they're too close to a kitchen. Lots attributable to Teflon burning hot or self cleaning ovens but with a small child I'm going to just run the vent on low any time anything is heating up.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I run the vent hood whenever I have the stove or oven on, I think that’s smart.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I tip the vent hood 20% on togo orders

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Girlfriend got me some Spanish Flor de Garum. Smells nice and funky. What’s the highest and best use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Parthian chicken!