Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

I didn’t say it wasn’t good, I said it’s more of a “wow haha what a thing that is” if a mainstream company with a giant audience does it vs a little company in front of a comparatively tiny audience.

It's worth remembering that at the time FMW did the pool match they were capable of outdrawing Wrestlemania: they were routinely doing in the region of 30,000 at Kawasaki baseball stadium, where as 94 Mania did 18,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

fez_machine posted:

It's not a US promotion (but I'm not sure why you'd keep the question to major US promotions)

Oh just because it's what I've seen the most of, so seeing something "weird" like a swimming pool would be the most novel

There's so many promotions all over the place that someone, somewhere has probably done whatever insane spot I can think of

Honestly one of the best things PSP does is getting more people (like me!!!) into more cool promotions and matches and wrestlers and you're totally correct that I should be looking everywhere when it comes to cool stuff!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want to say it was CZW that did fish tanks full of sea urchins that you could slam your opponents into back in the day. They might have also done electric eels but that part was probably worked.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Trying posted:

WCW ran an annual Spring Break Nitro from Club La Veda on a floating ring

Big Sexy did a cannon ball

According to Nash there was a memo posted in the locker room saying no one was to go in the pool. This led to everyone trying to figure out ways to end up in the pool.

What a stupid rule, everyone watching those shows was waiting for someone to get thrown in the water.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So what was the point of Hercules? It seems the only thing you could rely on him to do was swing a chain without yeeting it into the crowd. Also, am I crazy or do we watch his body just fall apart over the course of like five years? He looks loving terrible by his last match in the fed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So what was the point of Hercules? It seems the only thing you could rely on him to do was swing a chain without yeeting it into the crowd. Also, am I crazy or do we watch his body just fall apart over the course of like five years? He looks loving terrible by his last match in the fed.

Torture Rack (before he switched to the Full Nelson after several years)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Power and Glory was a fun team. Which is pretty incredible given one of those guys was Paul Roma

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sid Justice and Alex Wright vs. Power and Glory is my dream match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DeathChicken posted:

Power and Glory was a fun team. Which is pretty incredible given one of those guys was Paul Roma

I think people are a little unfair to Paul Roma. He wasn't some great technical wrestler, but he could have been used better.
He had a decent look and could heel it up nicely. He was just that little bit too short for WWF at the time and so he became a jobber.
If he had come to WCW earlier he could probably have had an alright midcard singles career.

He shouldn't have been a horseman though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DeathChicken posted:

Wacky sunglasses, Slick as manager, and a cool-rear end double team finisher. What's not to like?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

Wacky sunglasses, Slick as manager, and a cool-rear end double team finisher. What's not to like?

Don't forget the fuckin' crop tops, more dudes need to be wearing crop tops

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Also Gorilla Monsoon calling them "Herc & Jerk" on commentary.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did anyone else used to like the warlord and wish he would win the royal rumble. in 1991 especially or any years around there. please respond

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cavauro posted:

did anyone else used to like the warlord and wish he would win the royal rumble. in 1991 especially or any years around there. please respond

Yes because the Warlord owned.

But only as a singles wrestler with the Lord Zedd motif.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It wished that stuff happened today. The whole "Winner gets a Title Shot at WM" took the whole fun out of the RR.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Waitaminute, Wikipedia's claiming Syxx was actually the seventh member of the nWo, after Hall, Nash, Hogan, Dibiase, Giant, and nWo Sting.

This can't be right, can it?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Arbite posted:

Waitaminute, Wikipedia's claiming Syxx was actually the seventh member of the nWo, after Hall, Nash, Hogan, Dibiase, Giant, and nWo Sting.

This can't be right, can it?

Wikipedia has a shockingly handy chart of all the nWo members and it looks like Fake Sting edges Syxx out by just a bit on joining
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_World_Order_members

Hell, I forgot The Nasty Boys were nWo members for a whole 7 days.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 21, 2022

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
He was the syxxth as far as in-ring talent goes as DiBiase was supposedly only the money man backing them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Syxx was the 1-2-3 Kidd and 1+2+3=6. (Also 1x2x3=6)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Cavauro posted:

I still want Warlord to win the Rumble in 2022.

Edit - have Warlord kill Roman and the real Tribal Chief, The Barbarian, comes out to avenge him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was DiBiase around for long as the money man of the nWo? All I've ever seen is the clip of him counting on his fingers, and a few stills of him in the background.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Was DiBiase around for long as the money man of the nWo? All I've ever seen is the clip of him counting on his fingers, and a few stills of him in the background.

Only a few months. He was supposed to be the financier, to justify everything they were doing, and a manager/spokesman for the group. But when Bischoff joined, they didn't need him to be a financier (since Bischoff had the power to let them do whatever they wanted) or a spokesman (since Bischoff never shut the gently caress up). So even when they used DiBiase, he was just a silent face in the nWo crowd, and after a few weeks of that he decided to go home.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dibiase was really bad as an nWo mouthpiece. He worked a little better with the Steiners as a babyface, but still wasn't able to capture the magic he had as a wrestler. Some wrestlerd just aren't as good talking about other people as they are themselves.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Dibiase was really bad as an nWo mouthpiece. He worked a little better with the Steiners as a babyface, but still wasn't able to capture the magic he had as a wrestler. Some wrestlerd just aren't as good talking about other people as they are themselves.

This, too. I know he was the nWo's early spokesman but I don't remember a single thing he said.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, then I'm not loving crazy, because I have absolutely no memory of him being in the nWo other than what I already mentioned.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Was Rick Rude the first guy to have been in both DX and nWo?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sticklefifer posted:

I think so. Syxx/X-Pac would be a close second going the other way from nWo to DX in 98.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

But when Bischoff joined, they didn't need him to be a financier (since Bischoff had the power to let them do whatever they wanted) or a spokesman (since Bischoff never shut the gently caress up).

A stable led by Hogan didn't really need a mouthpiece to begin with. They had plenty of guys who could do their own talking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sticklefifer posted:

I think the only people to be in both factions are Rude, X-Pac and Michaels, so yeah.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I had no idea Michaels was in nWo but I stopped watching in 1999 like any normal person so I had to google it and :rubby:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Hirez posted:

I had no idea Michaels was in nWo but I stopped watching in 1999 like any normal person so I had to google it and :rubby:

Shawn Michaels looks like he should be part of the FBI from ECW.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Maigius posted:

Shawn Michaels looks like he should be part of the FBI from ECW.

Agreed, but the big story is X-Pac getting a piggyback from Big Show

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hirez posted:

It gets better. One episode, they spent the whole night being all like "The nwo is getting a new lad, who might it be, tee hee hee."

It was Booker T for some reason.

It also ended on an absolute wet fart, when Vince McMahon came out to the ring at the start of the episode of Raw, and was like "uh, yeah, the nWo sucks poo poo, so it's over now."

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
whoa Vince was right

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If Summerslam had people thrown into swimming pools in every match it would be the best PPV of the year

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

If Summerslam had people thrown into swimming pools in every match it would be the best PPV of the year

I'm imagining everyone selling gourdbusters like death because the fans are familiar with what a bellyflop feels like, and I need this event in my life now.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

rujasu posted:

Agreed, but the big story is X-Pac getting a piggyback from Big Show

I think the bigger story is that Big Show doesn't give his friends more piggyback rides.

I mean if I had a friend as big, and as avuncular as the Big Show, I would be nagging them for piggy back rides all the time. And I am a grown man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think Herc was a victim of 'you've never seen his best stuff' that a lot of guys from that era were.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hirez posted:

You didn't miss anything, IIRC, it went:

Week 1: Booker T joins the nWo
Week 2: Shawn joins the nWo, kicks out Booker T
Week 3: Six-man tag or something and Nash blows out his quads
Week 4: Vince comes to the ring, says they aren't doing the nWo thing anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

D.N. Nation posted:

You didn't miss anything, IIRC, it went:

Week 1: Booker T joins the nWo
Week 2: Shawn joins the nWo, kicks out Booker T
Week 3: Six-man tag or something and Nash blows out his quads
Week 4: Vince comes to the ring, says they aren't doing the nWo thing anymore

Interesting thing here is that Michaels was at the tail end of his Attitude retirement phase. He wasn't actually wrestling when with the nWo, but weeks after the faction got shut down due to Nash's quad and other stuff, he was returning to the ring for his feud with Triple H. I wonder if the intended payoff of the nWo angle was to be the thing that brought Michaels back to being an active wrestler.

Vince shutting down the nWo led directly into the introduction of Eric Bischoff to WWE as the Raw GM. I always remember the criticism that the two shouldn't have embraced as there was money in a Vince vs. Bischoff feud, but I always thought that idea would have been one of the worst things WWE could have done. They just did WWF vs. WCW and WWE vs. nWo. How was Bischoff going to take it to Vince, exactly? Send Ernest Miller?