Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I realize it is probably supposed to be a heart theme, but those look like really vintage hearing aids and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Arcella posted:

I've been poorly influenced by this thread:

Hell, same.

Bought all the modules shown. Definitely need more, but a good start. :shepspends:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SEKCobra posted:

I realize it is probably supposed to be a heart theme, but those look like really vintage hearing aids and nothing else.

True, especially with that colour, but certainly look more expensive than the $35-odd price tag.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Put test rolls through 2 of the Fujis and they're healthy, very happy with them. Loaded up another reel and slapped it into the third but I'm confident I've got 3 working cameras.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Waste of Breath posted:

my grampy died (phd marine biology) and I just took his old nikonos :cool:

I'm sorry to hear about your grampy, friend.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
A refrigerator

And various things to hook up an ice maker.

Not a project I'm looking forward to, but it will be worth it for the ice maker (that will no doubt stop working 6 months later).

dreesemonkey has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Jan 18, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

dreesemonkey posted:

A refrigerator

And various things to hook up an ice maker.

Not a project I'm looking forward to, but it will be worth it for the ice maker (that will no doubt stop working 6 months later).

I think LGs have something like a 15% hit rate on warranty work at Lowe’s so that’s certainly possible. That said I think all brands have about 10% these days; Samsung is 50+ though. Did you get one with dumb ice?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

I think LGs have something like a 15% hit rate on warranty work at Lowe’s so that’s certainly possible. That said I think all brands have about 10% these days; Samsung is 50+ though. Did you get one with dumb ice?

Yea it's a pretty basic fridge (on purpose), I bought based on the highest rating on home depot. Old-style ice maker and I bought the 5 year extended warranty knowing all new fridges are POSes. Fingers crossed.

I currently use a countertop ice machine and I have a good process down, but it would still be nice to have it done for me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ours is on the way out and I want to upgrade to a Full as we already had the counter depth one pulled out because reasons so it would end up being more fridge with no change in space. Though I kind of want the dumb ice though I have no reason to need it. For sure going with the 5 year deal as it more or less pays for itself with the filter discounts alone.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Warbird posted:

Yeah. Stay away from fridges made by any of the Korean brands. I've heard constant horror stories about LGs and Samsungs.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Those are numbers pulled direct from Lowe’s service call DB btw, I’m not embellishing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't had any issues with my Bosch fridge, how loving hard could it be to make such a basic appliance??!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Haven't had any issues with my Bosch fridge, how loving hard could it be to make such a basic appliance??!

"Make a fridge that works. Now make it cheaper... cheaper... ah poo poo too cheap go back!"

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

We paid a "repairman" $80 to tell us that most modern fridges are "not repairable."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

Basic? Basic?

I want to post on twitter dot com from my fridge and nothing less will do.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rolo posted:

Koala is my rec. it’s like 4.99 and it’s fantastic.

Looper Pro also looks really neat but it’s complicated and I’m dumb.

I am dumb and cannot find preset sounds, only recording

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

My mom's brand new GE fridge died after only having it for 9 months. Repair guy came to the house 4 times before deeming it unrepairable. GE sent a replacement.

The replacement one stopped working after 3 months. 2 days before Christmas, to be exact. Mom spent the holidays without a fridge. There were 4 more visits from the repair guy, who again deemed it unrepairable. They're replacing it again.

Oh, and of course they don't currently have her exact model in stock, so it's taking even longer.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

We were in the market for a new fridge even tho the old Kenmore is still going strong, the wife mostly wanted an ice maker. So just picked up one of these. Makes ice pretty quick and usually just stick whatever left over ice in a ziplock at the end of the day.

https://www.amazon.com/AGLUCKY-Mach...ps%2C176&sr=8-4

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

McCracAttack posted:

"Make a fridge that works. Now make it cheaper... cheaper... ah poo poo too cheap go back!"

You were doing great, until you said go back. They never, ever will say go back.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

mobby_6kl posted:

Companies add features that make people buy new fridges and drive up the cost.

At first these were useful features, like a cold filtered water tap and ice maker.
But then they started adding features like a browser and ones that take pics of the inside and send it to your phone.

Also it puts people on a buy cycle of 5~10 years which makes them more money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought a cheap under counter fridge 9 years ago and it still works perfectly.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

Hell, same.

Bought all the modules shown. Definitely need more, but a good start. :shepspends:

Begone modular demons, I don't need that kind of infinite money sinkhole in my life. I'm just going to buy the rest of the Erica Synths DIY series and that's it. I swear. And maybe Pamela's New Workout. And maybe Maths custom function generator. But that's that's it, hand to god

Arcella posted:

That Korg module however just got added to my wish list... and grats on the keystep! I'm loving mine so far

Re: appliances, the Yale Appliance blog has really good insights on their service numbers, including an interesting take on why Samsung appliances have such high non repairable rates:

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/are-samsung-appliances-reliable?hs_amp=true

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LowOnCyan posted:

Companies add features that make people buy new fridges and drive up the cost.

At first these were useful features, like a cold filtered water tap and ice maker.
But then they started adding features like a browser and ones that take pics of the inside and send it to your phone.

Also it puts people on a buy cycle of 5~10 years which makes them more money.

ngl, the “tap on door to turn on the light” and the little mini in door thing that some LGs have is neat and debatably useful if you stash your frequently accessed stuff (drinks and so forth) in there so you can keep the interior from spilling out the cold air each time you want something. That and the chest freezer on the bottom deals are objectively more energy efficient than a French door or freezer on top model.

Fake edit - the round ice is super stupid and I want it even though I don’t need it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

OSU_Matthew posted:

Begone modular demons, I don't need that kind of infinite money sinkhole in my life. I'm just going to buy the rest of the Erica Synths DIY series and that's it. I swear. And maybe Pamela's New Workout. And maybe Maths custom function generator. But that's that's it, hand to god

I would never wish the curse of eurorack addiction on anyone but Pam's owns and is hands down the most useful module I own. Maths, eh, kinda overrated imo. You can do cool things with it but I usually end up using it as an LFO or an envelope 95% of the time, which Pam's also does.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Maths, eh, kinda overrated imo. You can do cool things with it but I usually end up using it as an LFO or an envelope 95% of the time, which Pam's also does.

Maths is absolutely not overrated but it's one of these modules you will never know what it can do until you learn it from someone else and then you wonder why you never thought about it yourself.

For example I wondered how to delay a trigger/gate and someone on SA showed me how to do it easily with maths (EOR and EOC outputs).

Pretty much anything you can think about in terms of CV processing it can do it.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got something fun an interesting today, the enlarger on the left

A Durst 609, which has a party trick

It's also a medium format projector. Looking forward to shooting and projecting some big slides once I get it restored and working.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

OSU_Matthew posted:

Since posting that, I bought bare pcbs for mutable instruments grid, frames, edges, and marbles. And bare pcb for erica delay/flanger and output. Look man, from your posts, we're basically the same person so since I'm buyin this stuff, clearly you will too. I don't make the rules.

I'll be dumb/petty and say the font and graphics make noise uses really turns me off. I thought about maths but I just get mad looking at the panel.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

OniPanda posted:

I'll be dumb/petty and say the font and graphics make noise uses really turns me off. I thought about maths but I just get mad looking at the panel.

Your post gives me the opportunity to share my recent purchase

Materia Urania

There are tons of replacement panels available. I believe the most popular are from Grayscale.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Megabound posted:

Got something fun an interesting today, the enlarger on the left

I thought it was this at first:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I thought it was this at first:

I only drink soup-like homogenates made from voles...will this fulfil me needs or is there a vole-specific model or add-on I'll have to buy?

Edit for content:
An after-market center console insert for my car:

My car's enter console is, like many cars, just a big open space. It sucks. Just a gaping void for sunglasses, change, etc... to fall into, making it annoying to get them out of there, ESPECIALLY if I'm driving...also potentially dangerous. N

ow I can at least easily keep some small change for parking meters, and have a couple "layers" on the tray so my sunglasses, if nothing else, can be more easily accessible

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 21, 2022

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Your post gives me the opportunity to share my recent purchase

Materia Urania

There are tons of replacement panels available. I believe the most popular are from Grayscale.

WELP

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You synth freaks should come post in the musician's lounge synth thread.
I got the GAS bad, but have kept it contained to entry level stuff like volca, nts1, etc. The modular stuff is super fun, so I've been using vcv rack a bunch.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

I got the GAS bad, but have kept it contained to entry level stuff like volca, nts1, etc. The modular stuff is super fun, so I've been using vcv rack a bunch.

I believe we all do post there already.

I've been quieter last year because 2 kids is much more time consuming so I have less time to play, but it's getting better.

It's perfectly normal to start with entry level stuff since modular is so expensive. I played with volcas and pocket operators for two years before purchasing a 0-coast and taking the plunge. Everything I learned with desktop synths has been useful, and I've been able to sell them easily so no regrets. GAS is even worse with modular so really there is no better route. Just find what gives you joy because in the end it is a hobby so it has to be fun.

e: if anyone is interested and living in the EU I have a few Erica synths modules that I'm willing to sell to a goon for an interesting price. PM me if you want details.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Jan 22, 2022

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Is it waaay overpriced? Yes. Will it take so long to learn to use effectively that I probably won't even try much? Yes.... But the whole thing is fuckn indigo, so it was a no-brainer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Cryomancer posted:

Is it waaay overpriced? Yes. Will it take so long to learn to use effectively that I probably won't even try much? Yes.... But the whole thing is fuckn indigo, so it was a no-brainer.

That looks SO GOOD!

Arcella posted:

I was not satisfied with just ONE Volca I went ahead and picked up a Nubass and a Drum to go with my Keys. And an NTS-1... for the effects! Now, lacking a proper way to record all of these synths at the same time, I bought a used Tascam Model 12 through Reverb as I feel it will fit my needs for a long time to come.

B33rChiller posted:

Modular is intimidating as heck to start with hardware so I'm also checking out VCV rack and it's pretty cool! Agreed on having the bad GAS.

Shartweek has a new favorite as of 03:29 on Jan 22, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Megabound posted:

Got something fun an interesting today, the enlarger on the left.

Does it work on your hog? If so, can I borrow it?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cryomancer posted:

that looks sick as hell

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Coolnezzz posted:

That looks SO GOOD!

I was not satisfied with just ONE Volca I went ahead and picked up a Nubass and a Drum to go with my Keys. And an NTS-1... for the effects! Now, lacking a proper way to record all of these synths at the same time, I bought a used Tascam Model 12 through Reverb as I feel it will fit my needs for a long time to come.

Modular is intimidating as heck to start with hardware so I'm also checking out VCV rack and it's pretty cool! Agreed on having the bad GAS.

I started with a 4 channel audio input and basically immediately filled it....so I bought an 8 channel, and thinkin I may need to break the 4 channel back out. But they're two different brands, so maybe I need to sell the 4 channel and get another 4 channel of the same brand as the 8 channel. But if I buy another input, I should probably just get another 8 channel cause I'll eventually use them all, clearly. And on. And on.

I also started with more paired back stuff but now I'm ready to do it. Ready to sacrifice my wallet.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cryomancer posted:

I have the 'regular' S49 and it's pretty good. It's nice seeing what the knobs and whatnot are assigned to and messing around with sounds.

edit: I got 10 Raspberry Pi Picos so that I can start progressing on my mixing console project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

Since posting that, I bought bare pcbs for mutable instruments grid, frames, edges, and marbles. And bare pcb for erica delay/flanger and output. Look man, from your posts, we're basically the same person so since I'm buyin this stuff, clearly you will too. I don't make the rules.

Look officer, I have no idea how all this pcb got into my modularaddicts cart. No, I don't need an intervention, I'm not a junkie

Fortunately (unfortunately?) the bill of materials for these boards looks pretty bleak on mouser right now, with most everything being backordered, so it's all getting saved into my wishlist for when I catch up with what I have. However you did manage to successfully push me over the edge on additional diy kits for the EDU series VCO. Going to see if I can find some stuff to repurpose this JYE oscilloscope I built awhile back into a waveform module. That plus a mixer kit and something for a power supply bus and case are next up on deck.

Also bought some materials and and cobbled together a new desk so I finally have dedicated workspace to patch everything together:

Picked up a compact mixer and laptop stand so I could double stack my Arturia gear since it takes up a lot of space (which is what I'm lacking)