Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jedit posted:

Yes, but the closest Disc analogue to the Met is the Watch when Vimes first joined. Which, in turn, is like the London police before the Met was founded on the Peelian principles. Vimes isn't what a copper is; he's what a copper should be.

There is also a bit in Jingo (I think) where Vimes thinks about how he is only ever supposed to solve 'little' crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I mean, it's okay to think all cops are bastards and cop-centered media is copaganda, and ALSO enjoy the Watch books or sit down for a Law and Order rerun now and then. The damage they do is in getting society to view "police=hardworking goodguys" as the default, and you can certainly read the books while being aware that that they're about an idealized version of what people wish the cops were really like.

I wonder if people in the 13th century or whatever were sitting there talking about how there are some really great King Arthur stories but it really whitewashes how brutal the knights are to us.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It also doesn't hurt that the Watch, in Anhk-Morpork, is a relatively small gang.

This is a city where the Thieves have effectively unionized and Vetinari is black-heartedly pragmatic enough that rather than try to stop them and face an attempt to overthrow them he sets limits and taxes them, and hiring assassins is considered classy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Liquid Communism posted:

It also doesn't hurt that the Watch, in Anhk-Morpork, is a relatively small gang.

This is a city where the Thieves have effectively unionized and Vetinari is black-heartedly pragmatic enough that rather than try to stop them and face an attempt to overthrow them he sets limits and taxes them, and hiring assassins is considered classy.

You also learn a lot about the Assassins Guild in Pyramids. First, even the most famous Assassins complete at most 30 contracts in their entire career. Second, very few new Assassins graduate each year. If you work it out, the Guild only kills about 40 people a year. But to maintain its exclusivity and its high prices it has to make sure that other people don't go round murdering for money either. Which probably turns out to be most of the work it does. Like the Thieves Guild, they're just another part of the law enforcement of Ankh-Morpork - if anything, less wittingly than the Thieves.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Phenotype posted:

I mean, it's okay to think all cops are bastards and cop-centered media is copaganda, and ALSO enjoy the Watch books or sit down for a Law and Order rerun now and then. The damage they do is in getting society to view "police=hardworking goodguys" as the default, and you can certainly read the books while being aware that that they're about an idealized version of what people wish the cops were really like.

I wonder if people in the 13th century or whatever were sitting there talking about how there are some really great King Arthur stories but it really whitewashes how brutal the knights are to us.

AKAB

All Knights Are Bastards

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

thetoughestbean posted:

AKAB

All Knights Are Bastards

William is, at least

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got a hardback copy of Nanny Ogg’s cookbook for Christmas. I’m super excited. This is one of very few Discworld things I’ve never read through before

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ConfusedUs posted:

I got a hardback copy of Nanny Ogg’s cookbook for Christmas. I’m super excited. This is one of very few Discworld things I’ve never read through before

I remember trying the curry recipe in college and ending up with it being more of a soup.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

citybeatnik posted:

I remember trying the curry recipe in college and ending up with it being more of a soup.

I'm trying to figure out how this is a double entendre and failing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SirSamVimes posted:

Death having a cameo in every book is one of my favourite Discworld traditions.

"YOU HAVE PERHAPS HEARD THE SAYING THAT HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE." "...Yes?" "IN TIME, YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT IS NOT TRUE."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Covid cancelled my plans and my SO is working over xmas so in the empty house I read Hogfather on the 24th and 25th because by sheer coincidence it was the next one in my sequential reading of discworld.

It's one of the best ones in the series, isn't it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hogfather absolutely is one of the best ones. In my opinion this is because of the part when Death points out to Susan that it was necessary to save the Hogfather to ensure the Sun rose again after the winter solstice, because the Sun rising and a flaming ball of gas coming up over the horizon are not the same.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Anyone watch The Abominable Snow Baby yet?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mad Hamish posted:

Hogfather absolutely is one of the best ones. In my opinion this is because of the part when Death points out to Susan that it was necessary to save the Hogfather to ensure the Sun rose again after the winter solstice, because the Sun rising and a flaming ball of gas coming up over the horizon are not the same.

That and Death asking what the harvest can hope for save for the care of the reaper man in that book hit me *hard* and as silly as it is to admit informs me to this day. That and "there is no justice, there's just us".

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

That and Death asking what the harvest can hope for save for the care of the reaper man in that book hit me *hard* and as silly as it is to admit informs me to this day. That and "there is no justice, there's just us".

That's the other amazing bit from the Death novels.

Reaper Man also had a spectacular impact on folk dancers. Many Morris dancing sides do a Dark Morris, although we have trouble getting the octiron bells.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

CommonShore posted:

Covid cancelled my plans and my SO is working over xmas so in the empty house I read Hogfather on the 24th and 25th because by sheer coincidence it was the next one in my sequential reading of discworld.

It's one of the best ones in the series, isn't it?

It’s one of the best just because it’s got all glitter on the cover. I got it for Christmas in [whatever year it came out] and it remains one of the few things guaranteed to make me feel Christmassy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

citybeatnik posted:

Reaper Man was my first Discworld book. I read it as a teen after spotting it on the library new arrivals shelf, thinking it had a cool cover and looked interesting. I've since re-read it numerous times, with my latest re-read finishing last night.

I have to say the book's themes and central messages are hitting a lot harder now at 40+ than they were at 16 or whatever. It really is a magnificent meditation on the meaning of life and somehow manages to convey the classic message of "life is only worth living because it's limited" superbly well despite only being a silly fantasy comedy.

It's also kind of comforting to be reminded of how the big questions are something most people think of at times, rather than something only I'm grappling with.

Reaper Man posted:

Was that what it was really like to be alive? The feeling of darkness dragging you forward? How could they live with it? And yet they did, and even seemed to find enjoyment in it, when surely the only sensible course would be to despair. Amazing. To feel you were a tiny living thing, sandwiched between two cliffs of darkness. How could they stand to be alive?

Let's see how I feel about Reaper Man in 20 years after several more re-reads!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone watch The Abominable Snow Baby yet?

We just finished it! It's really cute.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The old version of Hogfather vanished from the US Audible site about a month ago without being replaced by the new one, which is starting to get a little silly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

That's the other amazing bit from the Death novels.

Reaper Man also had a spectacular impact on folk dancers. Many Morris dancing sides do a Dark Morris, although we have trouble getting the octiron bells.

How'd the stick and bucket dance work out for you though

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I've reading back through all the discworld books in order as some I read only once many many years ago.

I'm on Sourcery now which definitely isn't a favourite, and I'm really looking forward to finally getting to the witches.

I think I'm just not the biggest fan of the wizards compared to the watch or the witches. Maybe it's also because they feature so heavily in Death books and I always want more Death and less wizard buffoonery.

Mad Hamish posted:

I recently did my festive Christmas reread of Hogfather and still remember how hard this passage hit me the first time I read it and how suddenly it brought it from a fantasy novel into my understanding of the real world.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Enfys posted:

I think I'm just not the biggest fan of the wizards compared to the watch or the witches. Maybe it's also because they feature so heavily in Death books and I always want more Death and less wizard buffoonery.

For me its the death books I struggle the most with - apart from Hogfather.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Phy posted:

How'd the stick and bucket dance work out for you though

Years before I joined there was a Stick and Bucket Dance that they wouldn't talk about - apparently it led to too many injured knuckles or something.

The year before covid hit we did borrow and re-work a dance from a border side in the UK and changed it to involve buckets, but I don't recall precisely how it went at this point aside from being very elaborate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Nation, one of the last Pratchett books I hadn’t read. It took me a while to get to it, I think partly because I’ll be sad when there are no new Pratchett works left for me to discover.

Not a lot to say about it, started it Friday night and finished it today, so I definitely found it both compelling and enjoyable. A more modern Robinson Crusoe story, basically, with all the wit and charm and optimistic hopefulness (married with a dash of cynicism) that you’d expect from Pratchett.

I also really liked how he foretold elements of the third act, both explicitly in text with the framing that this was a recollection, and also through the Chekhov’s gun type scenarios he set up. Big recommendation.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nation is pretty great. That scene on the beach where Mau disassociates... :smith:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nation may be my favorite of all his books.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nation is pretty great. That scene on the beach where Mau disassociates... :smith:

Nation posted:

"She saved my life. Twice."
"I thought you saved HER life."
"Yes, but the first time I saved her life, I saved mine, too. Do you understand? If she hadn't been there, I'd have held the biggest rock I could find and gone into the dark current. One person is nothing. Two people are a nation."
Pilu’s forehead wrinkled in puzzlement. "What are three people?"
"A bigger nation."

No book holds the power to make me cry more than Nation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.hbook.com/story/terry-pratchetts-2009-boston-globe-horn-book-fiction-award-speech-for-nation

quote:

All authors must occasionally wonder where the magic comes from, and sometimes I wonder where the strength of Daphne came from, and about the source of Mau’s almost incoherent rage. Wherever their origins, I believe that Nation is the best book I have ever written or will write.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Confirming: Nation is good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:hai:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What really got me about that scene were the later references to what Daphne saw as he was clearing the beach, and his remembering the bodies towards the end of the book.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Nation may be my favorite of all his books.

Nation is most of the best bits from all his other books thrown together coherently with lots of other good bits unique to that text. It really doesn't put a foot wrong.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
It actually was the first Pratchett book that I ever read - it was for sale one day on Kindle and I was vaguely aware that Pratchett was supposed to be a popular writer. I actually just decided to reread it, and although I am only at the beginning, it still is fantastic.

Not sure why it took me several months afterwards to check out his other works. It was only by coincidence that I finally decided to give Discworld a go because I kept seeing one or two Great A'tuin avatars around SA and was curious about what they were referencing.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
been rereading the Long Earth series here lately. seeing how Pratchett works with a co-author is pretty interesting. most of the book is pretty tonally different than Discworld, which is probably down to Stephen Baxter, but every now and then a joke that's just utter purestrain Pratchett pops up and it's immediately obvious.

also these books are pretty drat good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This was a good interview.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This talk about Nation is making me want to finally crack open my copy of it.

Haven't read Pratchett in quite a while, but I decided to reread Guards! Guards! over the last week (this would be the third time I've read it at least) because it was an old favorite. It definitely held up, though it was much more cynical than I remembered, even if that cynicism served the story well. If nothing else, it made Vimes and the Patrician's last conversation about the nature of people really interesting because it put you in Vimes' shoes as the person who's seen the worst in people but wants to believe in them anyway.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get into it to the extent I was previously due to my current feelings about cops, but that really wasn't much of an issue, partially because Pratchett spends so much of the early book building up the Watch as three pathetic sadsacks and one naïve fool who just doesn't understand the way this whole thing works before building up their "heroic" qualities. It's clear that the Watch, specifically and especially Vimes, is a blatant idealization of what the police should be, which could easily come across as a whitewashing, but the thing that makes it really interesting is the way the Watch has been forced into complete irrelevance by the policing of the Guilds, which feels oddly prescient considering modern police abolitionist proposals. I guess what I'm saying is that the book does kind of fit the definition of "copaganda," but I could still see someone more eloquent than me making a case that the book is about forging a new, better system from the ashes of the old one (even if the Ankh-Morpork status quo is, as always, ludicrous for the sake of comedy). Though I'm honestly thinking way harder about it than I should be, it fundamentally works just because Vimes is a truly incredible character.

Anyway, it was a great read, made me immediately want to pick Men at Arms up and read that one again. I want to get back into Discworld after spending years away so I've got a list of the ones I want to reread: the other Watch novels, Reaper Man, and Small Gods.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kudos! I'm digging Guards! Guards!, and I've been reading it (mostly not reading it) for a couple months. Got sidetracked with 80s X-Men comics you see. I'm also not the fastest reader. I too want to get more into Discworld, it's one of my goals this year.

I have listened to a bunch of Terry interviews, always great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chloe Jessica posted:

been rereading the Long Earth series here lately. seeing how Pratchett works with a co-author is pretty interesting. most of the book is pretty tonally different than Discworld, which is probably down to Stephen Baxter, but every now and then a joke that's just utter purestrain Pratchett pops up and it's immediately obvious.

also these books are pretty drat good.

Baxter did the bulk of the writing and Pterry added input and polish. The series gets less funny as it progresses and they basically become Baxter books with a co-creator credit. Still worth reading, though.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

https://twitter.com/PaulKidby/status/1484497496017625090?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, no, is Kidby an anti-vaxxer?