Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Relentlessboredomm posted:

idk, ive always loved batman and spiderman but im tired. neither of those characters deserved 100s of hrs of new video over doing something new.

just please god make some new ip

Can I interest you in an Ip Man soft reboot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm unreasonably excited for the Daniels new movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, movies are getting slightly longer, especially now a lot of movies are releasing direct-to-stream where they know people can always pause to go to the bathroom.

Still can't believe I watched all of The Irishman (albeit in 2 sittings).

Leperflesh posted:

I'd guess that first hump corresponds to movies with a built-in intermission so theaters could sell more snacks, and the current one corresponds to directors getting better noninterference clauses in their contracts that prevent studios from forcing them to cut down to a particular length. But I'm speculating right out my rear end on both counts.

I can’t prove it, but I’d suspect the dip in length in the 80s directly corresponds in part to what could fit on a single VHS tape for home release, and the accompanying rise of direct-to-video stuff. The return to longer run times in the 90s probably came as tape costs came down/tapes getting slightly longer run times, and then DVDs making that mostly not an issue later that decade.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm excited as hell for the new Batman so 3 hours doesn't bother me at all. I watched like 4 episodes of chuck yesterday afternoon because it was raining and I was bored.

Kalli posted:

My city restarted an indoor mask mandate yesterday, yay.

Yeah, I'm extremely burnt out on superhero stuff, but man how does DC not just nakedly copy what Marvel is doing, it can't be that hard. Why are you doing... this DC?

Though it finally clicked what Peacemaker is, and that reminds me that Suicide Squad was a pretty fun romp, so maybe just give James Gunn carte blanche? Probably won't be ideal, but gotta be better then what they've got going on otherwise.

Eh, marvel stuff is becoming a little tired. All of their good writers left and haven't really been replaced with anyone of quality and the good ones that stuck around have basically been on spiderman/s since and lo and behold they're the only good things Marvel has produced since endgame rolled credits.

Batman has at least some depth they can plumb and the idea of launching this IP with some very solid supporting villains and actually showing gotham as a shithole for a change is a solid move. DC has pretty firmly positioned itself as something aimed at more mature audiences - which I think is kind of a good move.

DC started with some miss steps but if you're going to run down the list of

Suicide Squad 2
Peacemaker
Joker

DC has had better releases than Eternals, shang chi, and every single marvel TV show over that span.

DC tried to go a more marvel route when they made Birds of Prey and Wonder Woman 2 and both of those movies sucked pretty loving hard.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd guess that first hump corresponds to movies with a built-in intermission so theaters could sell more snacks, and the current one corresponds to directors getting better noninterference clauses in their contracts that prevent studios from forcing them to cut down to a particular length. But I'm speculating right out my rear end on both counts.

It would make sense when just about every other DC movie that got panned Batman vs Superman, the first Suicide Squad and Justice League all had far superior directors cuts than their theatrical releases and audiences pushed for their release. A good movie that goes for 3 hours is going to do more for the director and the studio than an average one that's had to be cut down to a run time that focus groups decided in the 90s was the right length.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

General Dog posted:

Can I interest you in an Ip Man soft reboot?

lmao well played

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ip Man Legacy- Ip Man’s granddaughter, Ip Jan, participates in a martial arts tournament that could reunite Taiwan and the mainland.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah I watched Venom the other night at like 6:00 and then I was like oh poo poo that was short and sweet, it’s like 7:40 and Venom: Let There Be Carnage is also short and like $6, so I crushed both movies in one go, had fun, and then went to bed on time.

2+ hour movies have their place for sure, and I think the new Batman looks pretty cool so I’ll have no problem sitting through 3 hours of it, but yeah short movies are great too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The biggest movie sin, imo, was Peter Jackson taking a short childrens book, whipping up a bunch of nonsense with the silmarillion and then turning it into a ridiculous, overwrought trilogy. Pure heresy.

Like, that is true to the spirit of LoR, just make the hobbit a 120min romp and be done with it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I really wish we’d gotten Guillermo Del Toro’s version instead.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Richard Armitage is also not a leading man, and casting him as the main dwarf was dumb

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Okay

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The movies aren’t good, but Martin Freeman as Bilbo was an inspired casting choice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I can’t prove it, but I’d suspect the dip in length in the 80s directly corresponds in part to what could fit on a single VHS tape for home release, and the accompanying rise of direct-to-video stuff. The return to longer run times in the 90s probably came as tape costs came down/tapes getting slightly longer run times, and then DVDs making that mostly not an issue later that decade.

That is a really good point, yeah. I remember some movies had to be cut down for home release just so they'd fit onto VHS.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Then how did I have both Jaws and Braveheart on the same VHS :smug:. Oh no please ignore the garbage video quality.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They literally made thinner tape, so they could wind more onto the spindle in extra-long-play cassettes. There was a time where you went to the store and paid extra for BASF GOLD ULTRA LONG PLAY 240 tape because it had four hours of space on it (if you recorded in normal mode).

VHS got really weird towards the end. S-VHS, multi-head players, component audio, S-Video connectors... My stepdad had a special audio recorder thing that used the whole width of a VHS tape to record multitrack audio in ultra high quality, for example.

e. ADAT and V-Eight!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 20, 2022

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

General Dog posted:

I really wish we’d gotten Guillermo Del Toro’s version instead.

Same

He quit because the studio was demanding that he go from the planned 2 movies and turn it into a trilogy, and when he quit, the studio told Jackson either he could direct it as a trilogy or they would find their own director who would.

I'm sure there is a fan edit out there somewhere that cuts it down to 2 good movies

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Even if the Hobbit HAD to be a trilogy the CGI orcs and goblins really took me out of it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

T. Hanks Obama Biden.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ghislaine Maxwell is going to get a retrial. I am shocked! shocked! something procedural has come up after the fact to give her another shot at getting off. Comes as less of a shock as Epsteins suicide one a night when 2 guards fall asleep and 3 cameras all malfunction at once.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Democrats are lame rear end nerds who can't do a drat thing right.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yeah they just had a lot of poo poo in it that didn’t need to be there and which wasn’t in the book.

~~~~BuT iT hAs To Be A tRiLoGy~~~

General Dog posted:

The movies aren’t good, but Martin Freeman as Bilbo was an inspired casting choice.

Yeah he’s pretty great.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

As soon as they announced the hobbit as a trilogy I lost all interest. I think I did end up watching them once they came to hbo. God they were so bad. I’m sure there’s a good 4 hours of total footage though, if someone went and cut it down.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Democrats are lame rear end nerds who can't do a drat thing right.

I’m convinced it’s kayfabe to do nothing.

No one would self-own that hard over and over again outside of Ben Shapiro.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bird in a Blender posted:

As soon as they announced the hobbit as a trilogy I lost all interest. I think I did end up watching them once they came to hbo. God they were so bad. I’m sure there’s a good 4 hours of total footage though, if someone went and cut it down.

We just watched them like...last week. I can't remember any of their names outside of Bilbo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

We just watched them like...last week. I can't remember any of their names outside of Bilbo.

They’re hard enough to keep straight in the book too. That’s probably the point.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Think I mentioned before but we had similar problems with WFH and know plenty of people who had similar here - few people have the space for dedicated offices, never mind two if both in a couple are working from home. Meant I was working from a kitchen table for a long time, which grated more than I expected.

Even in the place we bought just under a year ago, eventually there’s going to be some space issues, but that’s future problems.

Work informed me I'm going in as the senior PM for a huge job in Cleveland. We're interviewing for the project next month. Time to go make sure my suit still fits!

Ooh, good luck. I have no idea when my dress stuff will be brought out for a business trip next, and that’s kind of a blessing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I barely remember anything in the Peter Jackson Hobbit trilogy except they shot some stuff in 60fps and it looked like it was filmed with a GoPro.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This on the other hand looks insane and I'm looking forward to this.

I should probably see which local theaters are showing The Tragedy of MacBeth while I'm at it too.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm pretty excited for this because it looks like an interesting and creative concept, and Michelle Yeoh kicks rear end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, that looks fantastic.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
A non-Steven Kingafied version of The Talisman which seems like it would also make a decent movie/mini-series .

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
brands brands BRANDS

https://twitter.com/nathanallebach/status/1484170441824555009

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

This obvious peanut butter M&M erasure is why I no longer follow the M&M cinematic universe. That and it's hard to watch almond knowing how many kids he has that he refuses to pay support. Like goddamn dude do you need to nut in everything?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1484291939378032641?s=21

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Melts in your mouth indeed.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Melts in your mouth indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJJdLNwKDe8

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Game Night tonight at the normal time, 7:30 CST

https://discord.gg/9f2tvzRj

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Please don’t degrade yourself in this way Tom :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Found an updated concert lineup

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 21, 2022

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

movies should be 90 minutes long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Finished episode 3 of Station 11 tonight. It's a very interesting program. Highly recommend.