Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bischoff became a hot take machine when WWE started paying him again to sit in catering. Its a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

finish it out. who else is out there? establish the triumvirate of triumvirates

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wow, Bully Ray is such a nuanced person. He's not all about the heat. Sometimes he just wants to plain suck too.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Wow, Bully Ray is such a nuanced person. He's not all about the heat. Sometimes he just wants to plain suck too.

When has he not?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

edogawa rando posted:

When has he not?

Back when I played Smackdown: Just Bring It! Having only watched WCW before not knowing who he is.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I feel like Conrad Thompson seems to be involved with a lot of the worst podcasts.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
lol Bubba can shut the gently caress up. I loved the AE as much as the next 90s kid but maybe someone should tell him that the bullshit he's spewing has a lot to do with why any number of his contemporaries ended up under dirt before the age of 40.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bubba Ray can eat poo poo while he's shutting the gently caress up. Who the gently caress is he to play morality police with Mox saying "gently caress" when the poo poo he spewed out of the sphincter grafted on to his fat loving face every time he held a mic in ECW in his stupid fat hands is a matter of record.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

BGrifter posted:

I feel like Conrad Thompson seems to be involved with a lot of the worst podcasts.

He does Schiavone, Arn and JR which are all uncontroversial. The Prichard one is good if you want insight into the Mind of Vince. Dunno about the Jarrett one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Busted Open radio was one of the worst wrestling shows I'd ever heard in my life. The two original hosts were just loud dumbasses that liked to yell at and shout down callers. Then they added Bubba Ray and Tommy Dreamer as rotating hosts and it was like some kind of punishment you'd get subjected to in hell.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

edogawa rando posted:

Bubba Ray can eat poo poo while he's shutting the gently caress up. Who the gently caress is he to play morality police with Mox saying "gently caress" when the poo poo he spewed out of the sphincter grafted on to his fat loving face every time he held a mic in ECW in his stupid fat hands is a matter of record.

he's not mad about mox saying gently caress lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I didn't read the article but when I saw Bubba Ray involved I instantly assumed he wanted Mox to apologize for going to rehab and cheating the fans out of something. Because he's a loving moron.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness he says Moxley doesn't actually owe anyone an apology and the promo was great as is. He seems to just think a more traditionally sincere and emotional promo would have been more "endearing." But as a fan of that kind of thing I think it misses the fact that Mox's "go gently caress yourself" energy is definitely what's working these days and plays as sincere as anything else.

If I were try to understand Bully Ray's mind I'd assume he just has a block for "heel heat" as a tool to make a crowd mad so Mox using the same kind of thing and being over as a face is a disconnect for him.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

I liked it because it was both uplifting and showed a level of pathos that he hasn't shown in years. I liked the original pre-WWE Moxley character because he was a guy around my age who was messed up. Him fixing himself (in one regard) while still having one hell of an edge is the natural progression.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Disco usually has some bottom barrel takes. He’s in my top three of trash.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Cornette, Russo, Ray, Disco, and Madden are the big ones that always spring to mind when it comes to terrible opinions on wrestling that were actually involved in wrestling.

I'd put Brad Shepard in that group too but he seems to have had no actual involvement in wrestling and it's more fun to watch him desperately claim he's anyone relevant while no-one listens to his podcast and dunks on him on Twitter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness he says Moxley doesn't actually owe anyone an apology and the promo was great as is. He seems to just think a more traditionally sincere and emotional promo would have been more "endearing." But as a fan of that kind of thing I think it misses the fact that Mox's "go gently caress yourself" energy is definitely what's working these days and plays as sincere as anything else.

If I were try to understand Bully Ray's mind I'd assume he just has a block for "heel heat" as a tool to make a crowd mad so Mox using the same kind of thing and being over as a face is a disconnect for him.

We don't have to be fair when someone says a guy who went to rehab owes the fans an apology for missing shows.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Hoss Corncave posted:

Cornette, Russo, Ray, Disco, and Madden are the big ones that always spring to mind when it comes to terrible opinions on wrestling that were actually involved in wrestling.

My least favorite Kind Of Guy is “The Objective Business-Knower.” At least the lunatic stans will just say something sucks—they got a right to an opinion—but these dopes couch everything behind “*actually* this is bad for business” despite having no track record of success this millennium. Just say you’re ripping a guy because you don’t like him, don’t pretend you can read a P&L or a network contract!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Cornette, Russo, Bubba, et al are all products of a time when AM radio hosts actually had listeners.

Bubba’s comment about Mox apologizing for going to rehab is absolutely awful and I hope TK has his goons lean on Sirius.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Even Corny knows HHH is dead

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

coconono posted:

Cornette, Russo, Bubba, et al are all products of a time when AM radio hosts actually had listeners.

oh they still have plenty of listeners

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

graph posted:

oh they still have plenty of listeners

old soviet repeaters don't count.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
its p cool how covid killed a good grip of them, they thought they were in on the grift/jokes when the marching orders to the top level grifters was to get loving vaxxed lol

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm glad Bully is relegated to the Cornette thread since they are both named Mark.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

lmao, actually good title card??

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Love a good Dave victory lap.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1492728600679759873

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jim has to know that's an insanely weak dis... right? Jesus.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1492114277393702914?cxt=HHwWhIC5xfOBh7UpAAAA

a 1 hour and 44 minute match with 13 and a half minutes of rest periods sounds awful. someone should steal the oxygen spot though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Most of the stuff Cornette points to sounds awful

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's the point of a nickname, when you can't even tell whom he's talking about?

Oooh, I can't stand that Spangthrob Fhhh-Tang-Hwohp* and anyone that knows anything about wrestlemans doesn't book him!

*I'm talking about Jay White. Keep up, jesus!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

kenny omega moves spryly and does finger guns and he just found the most homophobic way to convey that because his only real problem with kenny omega is he's not performatively traditionally masculine enough and jim cornette is a soft insecure mommas boy

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

He does Schiavone, Arn and JR which are all uncontroversial. The Prichard one is good if you want insight into the Mind of Vince. Dunno about the Jarrett one.

Jarrett's actually pretty interesting but I think he'd be more so without Hey Hey. Jarrett would certainly need somebody to bounce off of but for some reason Conrad's shtick is tiring with Jarrett who feels like the most enthusiastic of his podcast line. Just let the man go and talk about stuff, my guy.

There was a bit early on where I realized how communicable the brain rot from being around Vince can be, though. They were talking about how nice it was Vince let Jarrett have time off to be with his wife who was sick with cancer which I'm sure we can all agree is the human thing to do and they both verbally gush about how Vince always does right when it comes to a wrestler's family and in the very next segment talk about how Jeff couldn't get his guarantee that year and was going to be about 100K+ shy because he didn't make the required dates without a hint of irony.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So, are there actually any good wrestling podcasts? I occasionally check out Meltzer & co via YouTube clips, but the last wrestling podcast I listened to was so long ago they were still called radio programs.

Between the Ropes, I think? Man, it was good.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Deadlock

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So, are there actually any good wrestling podcasts? I occasionally check out Meltzer & co via YouTube clips, but the last wrestling podcast I listened to was so long ago they were still called radio programs.

I like Between The Sheets, where they do a "this week in wrestling history" sort of thing, picking one year & going through the newsletters & dirtsheets to go through the results & news from that week, they often play clips from that weeks TV to illustrate a point being talked about by Meltzer or whoever. I find it very interesting & entertaining, they often have interesting guests on, promoters, wrestlers, fans. But boy are the shows long. For example, last weeks episode covered Feb 2-8, 1993 & the episode is 5 hours 50 minutes. The previous episode was Jan 26-Feb 1 1999 & was 6 hours 52. I have no loving idea how Bix & Kris have managed to do nearly 350 weekly episodes of a podcast that even on a short week is about 3 hours long & presumably takes even longer to put together all the notes.

I dunno, there's a few others that I frequently listen to that cover my areas of interest: Eastern Lariat which focuses on a bit of puro potpourri, you'll hear chat about Big Japan & Freedoms along side Stardoms & DDT & NOAH. Open The Voice Gate is a Dragongate focused podcast that I always catch, Emerald FloShow is a newer podcast that covers current All Japan & NOAH but I like what I've heard from the 1st episode. There's an ROH historical watchalong podcast, ThROH the Years that I enjoy, although I'm far from up to date on that. There are similar for PWG & Shimmer that I don't really keep up with but I enjoy the concepts.

There's probably too many good wrestling podcasts for the work-from-home era.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I like Between The Sheets, where they do a "this week in wrestling history" sort of thing, picking one year & going through the newsletters & dirtsheets to go through the results & news from that week, they often play clips from that weeks TV to illustrate a point being talked about by Meltzer or whoever. I find it very interesting & entertaining, they often have interesting guests on, promoters, wrestlers, fans. But boy are the shows long. For example, last weeks episode covered Feb 2-8, 1993 & the episode is 5 hours 50 minutes. The previous episode was Jan 26-Feb 1 1999 & was 6 hours 52. I have no loving idea how Bix & Kris have managed to do nearly 350 weekly episodes of a podcast that even on a short week is about 3 hours long & presumably takes even longer to put together all the notes.

My favorite part of between the sheets is falling behind a few weeks and being able to skip several shows because they cover times before I was born.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

kenny omega moves spryly and does finger guns and he just found the most homophobic way to convey that because his only real problem with kenny omega is he's not performatively traditionally masculine enough and jim cornette is a soft insecure mommas boy

You nailed what really bugs me about Jim's bullshit. He's as far from some kind of manly man as you can get and he's trying to gatekeep what being masculine is like any of that matters in this day and age.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Smart Wrestling Fan is good if what you want is an in depth review podcast. Marty And Sarah Love Wrestling is gentle wrestling talk with characters from a stand up comedian and an improv comedian (Marty DeRosa and Sarah Shockey). Never Openpod is a fun New Japan podcast that I would be mentioning as good even if I didn't do the New Japan Strong review for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I kinda want a podcast that covers wrestling shows while keeping Kayfabe.